Doing my first rollerset

LBoogie

Hey Ladies. I'm about to do my first roller set in a few hours....is there anything I should put on my hair in addition to the setting lotion...I dont want crunchy curls.

Thanks

VelvetRain

I always use a spray in leave in conditioner too. Keep in mind you don't need to use a lot of setting lotion. Too much will give you crunchy curls. I used to dilute mine with a little water to make sure this never happened.

webby

Think Slim
Lboogie said:
Hey Ladies. I'm about to do my first roller set in a few hours....is there anything I should put on my hair in addition to the setting lotion...I dont want crunchy curls.

Thanks
I use creme leave-ins, like Humectress, Lacio-lacio...I avoid the liquid leave-ins, because they always make my hair crunchy.

HTH :)

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
webby said:
I use creme leave-ins, like Humectress, Lacio-lacio...I avoid the liquid leave-ins, because they always make my hair crunchy.

Ditto what the Webby girl said, except I use Salerm 21. Also, I use Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion for my set, but DEFINETLY not a lot. I also spritz my hair(after rolling) with a moisture mix I created for shine and to also cut the effects of the Motions.
(gotta try that Lacio-Lacio...)

~op~

Neroli

webby said:

DITTO for me too. I use headress, giovanni direct or salerm. Also I use a small spritzer with distilled water to re-wet hair - avoids overuse of product and keeps hair "light" and smooth when dry.

Tracy

If you don't want crunch, I wouldn't do the setting lotion either...a leave in will be enough.

LBoogie

Tracy said:
If you don't want crunch, I wouldn't do the setting lotion either...a leave in will be enough.
I've never heard that one before....I have Cantu creamy leave in...would that work well? Should I saturate the hair with it?

ms_kenesha

I NEVER use setting lotion, I always use a leave-in, either Loreal Smooth Intense Cream or Salerm 21 and I keep a spray bottle of water near by to spritz my hair if it starts getting dry. :)

KAddy

Lboogie said:
I've never heard that one before....I have Cantu creamy leave in...would that work well? Should I saturate the hair with it?

I have never used Cantu, but I have used various creamy leave-ins and they work great. If you HAVE to use the setting lotion use a little bit mixed with the leave-in conditioner. Also, have handy a spritz bottle filled with water so that if your hair starts drying while you are in the process you can simply re-wet it. When I use a creamy leave-in I put no more than a quarter-size amount in my hands, rub together and apply throughout my hair.

Tracy

ms_kenesha said:
I NEVER use setting lotion, I always use a leave-in, either Loreal Smooth Intense Cream or Salerm 21 and I keep a spray bottle of water near by to spritz my hair if it starts getting dry. :)

I do it this way too. You could use whatever leave in you like and then use water to rewet, or, you could just use a conditioner you really like (with minimal protein) and mix that with water at about a 4:1 water to conditoner ratio.

Setting lotion does give you more holding power - but it almost invaiably comes with crunch. I'd avoid it.

Chaya

I also have stopped using setting lotions. There really isnt a need when you use a leave in. I use Nioxin smoother leave in and then Salerm Superactivo drops (serum) which is hard to find but it produces SHINEY, BOUNCY rollersets! AMAZING!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Lboogie said:
Tracy said:

I don't use setting lotion either... just Motions Nourish for detangling and Salerm21 before setting each section of my hair with rollers. :)