Does Your Hair Like Shampoo?

How Does Your Hair Feel About Shampoo?

• My Hair Loves It!

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • My Hair Hates It!

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • My Hair is a Moody Chick!

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Other ('Cause you have to have an other in life, right?)

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Try after try, I've come to the realization that my hair (not my scalp) hates shampoo. I've tried bottle shampoo, clarifying shampoo, and a shikakai shampoo bar to no avail. My hair feels gluey, mushy, and sticky when I use it. However, when I co-wash, my hair drinks it up like a strawberry daiquiri :lick:. It loves it.

Does you hair love/hate shampoo? Is it moody? If your hair hates it, what do you do? I'll still wash my scalp once a month with Shikakai for a clean and healthy scalp, though.

Americka

I must shampoo because I get a lot of build up on my scalp and hair from the products I use. I always condition following shampooing so I don't have any problems.

LushLox

Have you tried just using the shampoo on the scalp only, or what about diluting the shampoo and just pouring it over the hair - a lot of people like that, especially if their hair is in twists or something. Also, natural shampoo bars are wonderful for people who are normally intolerant of commercial shampoos.

Personally I love shampoo! There have been occasions where I've been heavy handed, or left the shampoo on too long and it's dried my hair out, but admittedly this was with an SLS shampoo. I don't normally have any problems with poo at all, I like to use it every week as I put quite a lot of moisturiser and oil in my hair.

ThatJerseyGirl

KeraCare First Lather (clarifying) and the hydrating shampoos are awesome!! My hair loves Shampoo. My hair also loves the Creme of Nature detangling shampoo also. A bottle of shampoo lasts me a very long time because I dilute it and use it on my scalp only, while letting the rinse go through my hair.

bibirockz

I'm trying to figure this out myself. So far it doesn't like it with the methods I've been using it just matts &dries up so badly.

ChristmasCarol

When I shampoo - about once every 8 weeks, I dilute it in a color-applicator bottle and direct the tip at the scalp only. I use clarifying shampoo and use a ratio of approximately 4:1 (water to shampoo) and leave it on for 5 minutes or so. I don't worry about the length, it gets washed as I rinse my hair.

tomnikids3

I will lean toward no, because I have been using WEN since the summer and I see a big difference. My hair is not as dry nor hard to detangle. It was strange to use at first since it doesn't lather but believe me you wont miss the lather, WEN still cleans your hair without the lather. I would recommend giving it a try. I usually get when its on QVC so i can get a special price.

darlingdiva

I have to use shampoo because I have fine strands that acquire build-up rather easily. I focus primarily on my scalp, but I do put a tiny bit of shampoo on the length because I don't believe that the rinse-off from the scalp is enough to cleanse my hair fully.

Nonie

I'm trying to figure this out myself. So far it doesn't like it with the methods I've been using it just matts &dries up so badly.

@bibirock Have you tried washing your hair in braids? I can't imagine washing hair loose. I'm always in braids or twists. If I had been wearing my hair out, I will put it in braids before washing it and keep undoing, combing and rebraiding during the shampooing, conditioning and final rinse. I never let my hair tangle.

To answer the OP, my hair, head and I love shampoo. I prefer gel-like shampoos which I apply directly to my scalp and squeeze through my hair, usually during the rinse (especially when I had braid extensions). Now that I've just got twists, I squeeze shampoo through twists before I even start to rinse. The scalp massage during shampooing is the highlight of my wash. I also do not avoid sulphates. If it is a moisturizing shampoo, chances I'll use it with or w/o sulphates.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
My hair loves shampoo, however my scalp hates it. It does not matter if it is low-sulfate, it reacts negatively. I have to dilute it AND I have to oil my scalp, I have to be strategic in shampooing my scalp or else I will itch like a dope fiend.

The interesting thing I have found is my scalp does not react negatively to neutralizing shampoos or the Paul Mitchell 3 shampoo I own.

ms.blue

There are certain shampoos my hair likes and others it can't stand. I normally wash my hair with diluted shampoo but there are times when I use the shampoo on full strength. I also mainly focus on the scalp and let the shampoo sit there for a couple of minutes since I only wash once (forget repeat). I believe its basically trial and error.

***shampoo used on your relaxed hair may not work on your natural hair. When relaxed, my hair loved creme of nature detangling shampoo and hated ors aloe shampoo(with a passion). Now my natural hair loves ors aloe shampoo and hates the creme of nature detangling shampoo (my weave likes this shampoo).

LaFemmeNaturelle

My hair HATES it but its the only thing that can keep my scalp clean so I must use it. I dilute it with water, oils, and acv but straight up shampoo tangles my hair so bad! I actually just had to shampoo to clarify and I'm dreading the detangling session I'm about to have.

sensi sweetie

Shampoo does not bother my hair one bit! But then again I ALWAYS have my hair lubed up with oil or cones from styling when I shampoo so its never too drying. I remember when I use to shampoo on bare hair and my poor locks were always so dry :nono:

I shampoo about 3x a week. My current fave is Lush Godiva 2 in 1 solid shampoo (with chunks of cocoa butter and jasmine :lick:) and I use Vo5 Kiwi Lime to clarify.

Nonie

My hair loves shampoo, however my scalp hates it. It does not matter if it is low-sulfate, it reacts negatively. I have to dilute it AND I have to oil my scalp, I have to be strategic in shampooing my scalp or else I will itch like a dope fiend.

The interesting thing I have found is my scalp does not react negatively to neutralizing shampoos or the Paul Mitchell 3 shampoo I own.

Those are acidic shampoos. Your scalp probably reacts badly to shampoos because you use those do not have a low pH. Neutralizing shampoos and I know Paul Mitchell Moisture and Shine have low pHs, which agrees the the acidity of the skin.

PJaye

My hair and scalp seemed to dislike shampoos, too, until I happened upon Elasta QP Crème Conditioning Shampoo and Quantum Clarifying Shampoo; they are worth their weight in gold.

DrC

My hair hates its. If my scalp needs cleaning, I use witch hazel or shikakai.

Aireen

Wouldn't say my hair loves it... more like my scalp. :grin: I use Motions Neutralizing Shampoo for every wash. :)

Flor

My hair loves shampoo. And I love the feeling and smell of clean hair. I've tried co-washing, but it did not work at all.

Truth

I vote she's moody... she has her moments...right now she loves suaves 2n1 shampoo ..she has her moments when I use a non sulfate poo.. iono still got the jury out..

iri9109

i use giovanni 50:50 and i love it, but my friend says it dried her hair out so bad...maybe because i always prepoo and 95% of the time i dilute it also, but its my fave...i've used shikakai once and it didnt dry my hair out either, but my hair still felt clean...i used to use castile soap...i actually might revisit it this weekend on wash day

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
my hair only likes shampoo for clarifying. other than that, i am a conditioner wash or amla cream rinse girl.

i use a no sulfate shampoo on my scalp weekly. i don't really put it on my hair.

Your Cheeziness

I'm a sucker for a sudsing. When I was relaxed and transitioning, I loved, Motions moisturirizing shampoo, Aphogee for Damaged Hair shampoo, Keracare Hydrating shampoo and the old CON green bottle shampoo. Now that I'm natural, I like Elucence shampoo and don't have a desire to use anything else.

prisytomboy

my hair can do without it. of course i didn't realize this until LHCF and learned of co-washing! i retain my length really well since co-washing! i do clarify every few months or so from cone build up...i have to use cone cuz i have disrespectful hair :lachen: hey i'm being honest.

nymane

My scalp adores shampoo, my hair enjoys it too but it's extremely picky about the type of shampoo.

I don't like shampoo. Every now and then I can use diluted shampoo to cleanse my scalp. I find shampoo very drying, and my hair retains moisture better when I cowash, prepoo, and deep condition.

Tiye

Try after try, I've come to the realization that my hair (not my scalp) hates shampoo. I've tried bottle shampoo, clarifying shampoo, and a shikakai shampoo bar to no avail. My hair feels gluey, mushy, and sticky when I use it. However, when I co-wash, my hair drinks it up like a strawberry daiquiri :lick:. It loves it.

Does you hair love/hate shampoo? Is it moody? If your hair hates it, what do you do? I'll still wash my scalp once a month with Shikakai for a clean and healthy scalp, though.

All hair likes shampoo, you just have to find one that agrees with your hair. Shampoo bar = soap. Soap alone doesn't work well to cleanse hair especially if you use a lot of product. Also detergents cleanse pretty well in any water type but the effectiveness of soap depends on the water type.