Does the New Testament Abolish Meat Distinctions?

momi

I've always held to the idea that all foods were clean according to the Acts 10 passage - but I've always had a nagging feeling that I should dig a little deeper.

I still haven't come to a conclusion on this - but I definitely think it is a great topic for discussion. :yep:

Anyone care to chime in?

Some people believe that certain New Testament scriptures remove all distinctions between clean and unclean meats. But what do these passages really say?
Most theologians assume that God's laws regarding clean and unclean meats ended at Christ's crucifixion. They suppose that the New Covenant removes any need for Christians to keep such laws. But is that what the Bible really says?
The administrative change from the Levitical priesthood to the ministry of Jesus Christ did not void God's expectations that His people obey His law of clean and unclean meats (or any other law) as part of their sanctification or separation as people of God (see Leviticus:11:44-47

; 19:2; 20:7, 22-26; 21:8). Peter and Paul both spoke of the continuing need for God's people to be holy (Ephesians:1:4; 1 Peter:1:14-16

).
Scholars acknowledge that members of the early Church continued to observe the distinctions between clean and unclean meats. Because of the common misconception that the New Covenant abolishes much of God's law, many assume these food requirements were simply Jewish cultural practices that continued until the Church became more gentile in composition and outlook. Preconceived ideas have also influenced interpretations of many New Testament passages. This is known as the process of eisegesis , or reading one's own ideas into Scripture.
Let's examine the New Testament passages dealing with food. As we do so, let's practice exegesis: drawing meaning out of Scripture by thoroughly understanding the background of a passage as we seek to apply it.
Peter's vision: Have all meats been cleaned?
One often-misunderstood section of the Bible concerns Peter's vision in which he "saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth." In this sheet "were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air." Peter heard a voice tell him, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat" (Acts:10:11-14

More...... http://www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs/does-new-testament-abolish-meat-distinctions/

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Here's another article which speaks about meat and other foods:

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/201...telling-the-truth-about-cancer-johns-hopkins/

Big Hospital Finally telling the truth about Cancer, Johns Hopkins

The list is long but I copy/pasted this one.

12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines will become putrified and leads to more toxic buildup.

blazingthru

The problem with Acts 10 is that folks just stop and don't read any further. Here was the message God gave to peter, 28 Peter said to the people, “You understand that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit anyone who is not a Jew. But God has shown me that I should not consider anyone unfit or say they are not pure.

When Jesus died on the cross it ended having to go to a priest, now u can go directly to the father that was the reason the veil was ripped in half (matthew 27:51), no need to go to someone else, you can go directly before the thrown. But you can ask others to pray for you. Matthew 18:20
For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

His death ended the daily sacrifice, the weekly sacrifice, the yearly sacrifice and all the ordinations and feast days. Which were called SABBATHS.

However, mostly pertaining to the blood. some of the ordinances many of us still keep because they keep us healthy that being to wash your body, your clothing and keeping things clean and separate from dirty things. How to avoid getting diseases, How to separate those who are very sick, case in point ICU's etc.,

HE was the final sacrifice, Meat and Drink we are to still follow those laws, but there has and will remain a price for those who do not Isaiah 66:17. Folks continue to eat pork and seafood and other unclean animals die everyday, or catch terrible diseases.

We avoid these creatures because it has to do with their behavior, their diet, and the purpose for which they were created.

Shellfish like shrimp, crab, lobster, oysters, scallops, and clams, as well as catfish, gar, swordfish, fresh water cod, and others were basically created to clean up nature's mess in the water. They are scavengers, who (like the pig) will eat just about anything. They eat excrement, dead and decaying animals, and any other pollutants they find, including those put there by man. They are the filters of the sea and lakes. As a result, they have been shown to maintain high levels of mercury, heavy metals, and industrial contaminants. According to author Rex Russell, MD, "Shellfish can be placed in a body of water that is contaminated with cholera bacteria, and they will purify the water. Shrimp, oysters, crab, scallops and mussels are particularly efficient at this. They filter large volumes of water every day. Sewage laden with chemicals, toxins, and harmful bacteria, parasites and viruses become concentrated in those shellfish. The cause of cholera outbreaks in several areas has been traced to contaminated shrimp, crab, oysters and clams.Rex Russell says, " As we look at modern science and nutrition, we will find that...there is an amazing overlap between God's original laws of clean and unclean and solid hygienic principles...Scripture and medical research agree that modern lifestyles lived without reference to God's laws and design shorten life and hasten death."

http://draxe.com/why-you-should-avoid-pork/

"A pig is a real garbage gut. It will eat anything including urine, excrement, dirt, decaying animal flesh, maggots, or decaying vegetables. They will even eat the cancerous growths off other pigs or animals." YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT (AND WHAT YOUR FOOD EATS)

We must always remember that we are only as healthy as the food that we eat. Remember your grandma's old adage, "You are what you eat"? Well, there is actually a lot of truth in that statement. And the even more disturbing truth is that you are also what your food eats. That means that whatever is going into the animals you will eat, ultimately ends up in your body too. Cancerous growth anyone? Or how about a nice helping of maggots and excrement? Hungry yet? : /

Pigs are incredible toxin absorbers. In fact, studies have shown pork to be up to 30 times more toxic than venison or beef. They are also host to over a dozen parasites, including worms, tapeworms, flukes, and trichinae. Worse than that, there is no temperature that has been proven to kill all of the parasites, their eggs, and cysts. "The trichinae worm of the swine is microscopically small, and once ingested can lodge itself in our intestines, muscles, spinal cord or the brain. This results in the disease trichinosis. The symptoms are sometimes lacking, but when present they are mistaken for other diseases, such as typhoid, arthritis, rheumatism, gastritis, MS, meningitis, gall bladder trouble, or acute alcoholism." (ensignmessage.com)

DON'T EVEN TOUCH A PIG CARCASS

Pigs are carriers of about 30 difference diseases that are transferable to humans. No wonder God commanded the Israelites to not even touch the carcass of a pig! (Leviticus 11:8) Pigs do not have a complex digestive system. In fact, what they eat has generally been digested completely in about 4 hours. (Cows take 24 hours). That doesn't leave much time for the body to assimilate nutrients (if there were any in their diet) or to remove toxins.

In fact, pigs are so poisonous in and of themselves that, often, they will not die even when given strychnine and other poisonous substances. They are already so overrun with toxins, these deadly cocktails are not potent enough to harm them. Their bodies are so accustomed to functioning in an acidic, poisonous internal environment that they simply add to the mix.

I hope that it is now clear to you that pork really is not "the other white meat". There is much evidence that the meat that comes from swine is completely unfit for human consumption. Our Creator truly is wise in all His ways, and is loving, and kind, and merciful. He does not desire to deprive us of that which we desire, but rather to give us the richness of His abundance and life in all things!

We can trust what our Almighty God says. And while I know that we are no longer bound by the curse of the law, I believe that the commands given by our Lord are still of value today. He created our bodies, our minds, our hearts, and our spirits, and He alone knows what should be feeding all of them.

Exodus 15:26: “If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the Lord that healeth thee.”

So in saying, The entire bible is relevant. We can't just say oh its not in the new testament we don't have to follow it. We follow the entire bible but we understand some things are done away with and those things we research more in depth. Gods wants you to dig for his truth. HE will blessed that. This is my feelings on it. I will research and research because I do not want to miss out, I want to be welcomed into the courts.

blazingthru

Here's another article which speaks about meat and other foods:

http://www.thelibertybeacon.com/201...telling-the-truth-about-cancer-johns-hopkins/

Big Hospital Finally telling the truth about Cancer, Johns Hopkins

The list is long but I copy/pasted this one.

12. Meat protein is difficult to digest and requires a lot of digestive enzymes. Undigested meat remaining in the intestines will become putrified and leads to more toxic buildup.

Great Article Shimmie, I decided to keep this. I was so promoting the green diet but I can't get to the store as often as I want to to stick with it myself. I have severe feet pain, plantar fasciitis. I know this will heal it. But for now everything is limited.

Shimmie

Staff member
Great Article Shimmie, I decided to keep this. I was so promoting the green diet but I can't get to the store as often as I want to to stick with it myself. I have severe feet pain, plantar fasciitis. I know this will heal it. But for now everything is limited.

Awwwwww Blaz. :grouphug2:

I 'feel' your pain as I have been there. You know what helped me, though? This:

"Lord, I thank you, that you, who is able to keep me from falling will continue to do so until the day of Jesus' Christ."

Keep walking, keep moving. Your feet will heal. Drink lots of water, and just keep moving, even though it hurts, please keep moving, Sweetheart.

MrsHaseeb

The dietary laws were given to the old covenant Jews. There isn't one verse of Scripture telling Gentile believers that they/we need to keep dietary laws. We are justified by faith alone in Christ alone, not by keeping the old covenant laws. The new covenant is based on better promises, salvation through the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

Shimmie

Staff member
The dietary laws were given to the old covenant Jews.

There isn't one verse of Scripture telling Gentile believers that they/we need to keep dietary laws. We are justified by faith alone in Christ alone, not by keeping the old covenant laws.

The new covenant is based on better promises, salvation through the finished work of Jesus Christ on the cross.

At the bolded, I know, yet the effect of these foods haven't dismissed themselves from our bodies. Eating 'green' has proven its self in multiple health benefits.

blazingthru has posted a potent message and the truth of it still prevails. :yep:

We all know that shell fish has caused many allergic / adverse reactions to many to the extent of needing emergent care in a doctor's office or ER.

I don't condemn anyone from eating any of these things, but yet there are well-known reactions which occur often.

Pork is still one of the meats that those with High Blood Pressure to abstain. Red meat is also known to have caused health issues.

Again, not disputing nor condemning, but the facts are still there. :yep:

I love eating a large backfin crab cake. Yes indeed. :yep: Nice and brown, cooked in butter (real budda). And some hot tender roast beef cooked over an open pit. :love:

I also love shrimp but I've had a reaction to them. Both my cousin and I keep Benadryl on hand, and not from lack of faith, but from wisdom, because we know there can be a problem with certain foods. It's only by God's loving grace for us that we are 'allowed' to eat these 'foods' and by His grace we have so often missed the adverse reactions from them. :yep:

Blaz's post may be from the Old Testament teachings, however the truth of these teachings will always remain. There was a reason that God excluded them from their diets. As stated in Blaz's post above, these are the 'creatures' who were designed to eat the scum / debris / the waste matter from the earth. These creatures haven't changed their routine agendas. :nono:

Another meat to steer clear of is liver. The organ in our bodies and that of animals which captures the toxins that enter in. Those toxins are still in that liver and cannot be washed away. Can't imagine what these animals livers have taken in and what folks who are consuming the livers are re-entering into their bodies. "shudder" :nervous2:

Point is this, Old Testament Laws are not unfounded even with the Cross which has redeemed us. These 'meats' have not changed their character and their purpose. And I'll say this; I always feel better when I eat my raw green vegetables, especially raw spinach.

Very interesting... :yep:

Much love to you MrsHaseeb :love2:

Galadriel

@momi

I also hold to "all foods are clean," however it is customary for Christians to bless their food before eating. According to some exorcists, often people who've unwittingly had curses placed on them were given something under the guise of food or drink by the person who meant them ill.

ETA: I don't eat pork and tend to eat healthy/green for health reasons :yep:.

Last edited:

MrsHaseeb

Shimmie I eat healthy for health purposes and I rarely eat pork anyway. But there are those who believe that you will be sent to the lake of fire based on eating "unclean" meats and that's not true as Gentiles were never instructed to keep the law when they converted to Christ. I also don't believe it's the meat itself causing the problems we see recently with declining health. I personally believe it's what's being done to the meat before it hits our plate. Humans been eating pork, shellfish and the like for enough years to have adapted. I understand what you're saying though.

Shimmie

Staff member
Shimmie I eat healthy for health purposes and I rarely eat pork anyway.

But there are those who believe that you will be sent to the lake of fire based on eating "unclean" meats and that's not true as Gentiles were never instructed to keep the law when they converted to Christ.

I also don't believe it's the meat itself causing the problems we see recently with declining health. I personally believe it's what's being done to the meat before it hits our plate. Humans been eating pork, shellfish and the like for enough years to have adapted. I understand what you're saying though.

Thanks MrsHaseeb, I understand what you are sharing as well. :yep:

Like I shared above, I love backfin lump meat crab cakes. :lol: But I have to be careful with shrimp and I avoid it.

It could be what those skrimps are eating from the bottom of the sea ... :lol:

But I know that people have had these 'reactions' for years. long before the pollutants that we have today (i.e. mercury, toxins, antibiotics in meats, etc. People have had shell fish reactions and problems with pork for centuries.

:bighug:

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
@momi

I also hold to "all foods are clean," however it is customary for Christians to bless their food before eating. According to some exorcists, often people who've unwittingly had curses placed on them were given something under the guise of food or drink by the person who meant them ill.

ETA: I don't eat pork and tend to eat healthy/green for health reasons :yep:.

:amen: Galadriel...:love2: to saying Grace over our foods. Even when I'm shopping for food, I love to thank God for blessing and guiding what I select and buy. :yep:

But you know what I love? Regarding what you mentioned about exocism, thank God that the curses cannot come.

Jesus spoke these Words... " and Nothing shall by any means hurt you..."

How can I curse those whom God has not cursed? How can I denounce those whom the LORD has not denounced? Numbers 23:8

Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse does not come to rest. Proverbs 26:2

I didn't mean to go off topic and I so apologize. Reading your post made me realize that many Christians think or even fear that someone can place a curse upon them.... However, No, they can not... :nono:

For if tried, it shall return from whence it came... :yep:

For whomever needs this encouragement. :love2:

Last edited:

Galadriel

:amen: @Galadriel...:love2: to saying Grace over our foods. Even when I'm shopping for food, I love to thank God for blessing and guiding what I select and buy. :yep:

But you know what I love? Regarding what you mentioned about exocism, thank God that the curses cannot come.

Jesus spoke these Words... " and Nothing shall by any means hurt you..."

How can I curse those whom God has not cursed? How can I denounce those whom the LORD has not denounced? Numbers 23:8

Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse does not come to rest. Proverbs 26:2

I didn't mean to go off topic and I so apologize. Reading your post made me realize that many Christians think or even fear that someone can place a curse upon them.... However, No, they can not... :nono:

For if tried, it shall return from whence it came... :yep:

For whomever needs this encouragement. :love2:

You're not off-topic at all, Shimmie :yep: Our greatest protection is our faith in Jesus Christ, and we should not be afraid.

MrsHaseeb

Thanks MrsHaseeb, I understand what you are sharing as well. :yep:

Like I shared above, I love backfin lump meat crab cakes. :lol: But I have to be careful with shrimp and I avoid it.

It could be what those skrimps are eating from the bottom of the sea ... :lol:

But I know that people have had these 'reactions' for years. long before the pollutants that we have today (i.e. mercury, toxins, antibiotics in meats, etc. People have had shell fish reactions and problems with pork for centuries.

:bighug:

I agree. I have known many people with allergies to shellfish.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Good topic momi...

Why haven't you come to a conclusion, I'm curious?

I've always held to the idea that all foods were clean according to the Acts 10 passage - but I've always had a nagging feeling that I should dig a little deeper.

I still haven't come to a conclusion on this - but I definitely think it is a great topic for discussion. :yep:

Anyone care to chime in?

Some people believe that certain New Testament scriptures remove all distinctions between clean and unclean meats. But what do these passages really say?
Most theologians assume that God's laws regarding clean and unclean meats ended at Christ's crucifixion. They suppose that the New Covenant removes any need for Christians to keep such laws. But is that what the Bible really says?
The administrative change from the Levitical priesthood to the ministry of Jesus Christ did not void God's expectations that His people obey His law of clean and unclean meats (or any other law) as part of their sanctification or separation as people of God (see Leviticus:11:44-47

; 19:2; 20:7, 22-26; 21:8). Peter and Paul both spoke of the continuing need for God's people to be holy (Ephesians:1:4; 1 Peter:1:14-16

).
Scholars acknowledge that members of the early Church continued to observe the distinctions between clean and unclean meats. Because of the common misconception that the New Covenant abolishes much of God's law, many assume these food requirements were simply Jewish cultural practices that continued until the Church became more gentile in composition and outlook. Preconceived ideas have also influenced interpretations of many New Testament passages. This is known as the process of eisegesis , or reading one's own ideas into Scripture.
Let's examine the New Testament passages dealing with food. As we do so, let's practice exegesis: drawing meaning out of Scripture by thoroughly understanding the background of a passage as we seek to apply it.
Peter's vision: Have all meats been cleaned?
One often-misunderstood section of the Bible concerns Peter's vision in which he "saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth." In this sheet "were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air." Peter heard a voice tell him, "Rise, Peter; kill and eat" (Acts:10:11-14

More...... http://www.ucg.org/doctrinal-beliefs/does-new-testament-abolish-meat-distinctions/

momi

Hi Ladies! I have been MIA - we are preparing to move!

Laela - I've been taught that all meat is clean according to Acts 10, so before I abandon this thought I want to be absolutely certain that I come to the right conclusion.

I look forward to reading your comments - thanks for your input :yep:

Last edited:

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
All the best with your move!

I'll be back ...

Hi Ladies! I have been MIA - we are preparing to move!

Laela - I've been taught that all meat is clean according to Acts 10, so before I abandon this thought I want to be absolutely certain that I come to the right conclusion.

I look forward to reading your comments - thanks for your input :yep:

blazingthru

I also don't believe it's the meat itself causing the problems we see recently with declining health. I personally believe it's what's being done to the meat before it hits our plate. Humans been eating pork, shellfish and the like for enough years to have adapted. I understand what you're saying though.

People have not adapted, they are dying. there are more rates of cancer then ever before and some foods you eat do not affect you for years, it just builds up. Children today are being tested and have heart disease from clogged arteries, children! and not overweight children at that. Some things are permissible, but not beneficial. The Laws are still in place, any research any research at all will indicate that all the foods that are listed on the unclean list are not beneficial to your body at all. Even clean foods are unfit to eat. Because as you have stated above what has been done to them, that being all clean meats, fish, chicken, fowl all of it. its best to not eat meats at all and if you must eat meats then eat only 12oz a week not a day but a week.

Whosoever a man soweth that shall he also reap (Galatians 6:7)

This is so true, if you eat a diet on meats you develop illness, you get problems in your joints, arthritis, inflammation, every type of disease you can think of can come upon you quick as lightening.

Not only meats, but alcohol, drugs, processed foods, soda's, smoking etc., destroy the body. Some get sick today, some get sick later, but all eventually get sick.

Kurlee

People have not adapted, they are dying. there are more rates of cancer then ever before and some foods you eat do not affect you for years, it just builds up. Children today are being tested and have heart disease from clogged arteries, children! and not overweight children at that. Some things are permissible, but not beneficial. The Laws are still in place, any research any research at all will indicate that all the foods that are listed on the unclean list are not beneficial to your body at all. Even clean foods are unfit to eat. Because as you have stated above what has been done to them, that being all clean meats, fish, chicken, fowl all of it. its best to not eat meats at all and if you must eat meats then eat only 12oz a week not a day but a week.

Whosoever a man soweth that shall he also reap (Galatians 6:7)

This is so true, if you eat a diet on meats you develop illness, you get problems in your joints, arthritis, inflammation, every type of disease you can think of can come upon you quick as lightening.

Not only meats, but alcohol, drugs, processed foods, soda's, smoking etc., destroy the body. Some get sick today, some get sick later, but all eventually get sick.
I think we should stick to what the bible says rather than what EGW (a proven false prophet) pushes as a health message. Let's look at what the bible actually says, rather than what we want it to say to match up with denominational dogma. Lastly, there are benefits and things bioavailable in meat that you simply cannot get from veggies/grains. I agree with the alcohol, drugs, smoking, soda, etc., but let's be clear about what is biblical vs. not.

blazingthru

I think we should stick to what the bible says rather than what EGW (a proven false prophet) pushes as a health message. Let's look at what the bible actually says, rather than what we want it to say to match up with denominational dogma. Lastly, there are benefits and things bioavailable in meat that you simply cannot get from veggies/grains. I agree with the alcohol, drugs, smoking, soda, etc., but let's be clear about what is biblical vs. not.

Actually there is a book called EAT TO LIVE has nothing to do with EGW. It says that exact same thing and that is not the only book. A book on the RAW diet says the exact same thing. In fact you can read tons of books not related to the bible and find the exact same message.

blazingthru

I do my own research all of it. I research various sites and read all sorts of books in this case, I am referring to EAT TO LIVE, Dr Fuhrmans. HE says if you must eat meat then eat no more then 12oz its easy to look up. Ellen as far as i know doesn't say anything like that, she never made a claim as a prophet, Doesn't matter to me whether she was or not, she has excellent information which in my opinion opens up the scriptures in more detail and so I use her books for research but because its a book and nowhere near me I haven't consider them. But Dr Fuhrman is on youtube. I been reading his book on my kindle for a while and been thinking about his plan, when this thread popped up.

Kurlee

I'm not too into the raw diet just because some veggies are actually MORE nutritious once gently cooked. I personally believe in a diet with lots of healthy grains, seeds, nuts, healthy fats, moderate lean proteins and lots of fruits, veggies and water.