Honoring the Sabbath New Testament Style (seeking insight)

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Except for a minority of Christians who believe in the Sabbath because it was not nailed to the cross! :yep:

That one went right over my head. Huh? What does that mean lol!:look: We got Jewish roots/family so that's our interest. Huh? I'm scratching my head. I hate not understanding.

Anyhoo, I was going to say that ....18 minutes before sundown, light your shabbos candles lolol!:lachen:I truly want to know how christians celebrate sabbath. I'd heard that there is a call for people to return to it.

ChasingBliss

I'll share as well, from a SDA Christian perspective. It would be nice if we had some Seventh Day Church of God members and others too.

1. Leave work early enough on Friday to prepare for Sabbath. For example, if you work for the General Conference of SDAs, the workday ends at 12:00pm in the afternoon.

2. Run all your errands and such beforehand. Clean your home, and cook your meal for the evening and Saturday. You are preparing for the King. :yep:

3. Eat dinner.

4. At sundown, open the Sabbath. If you would prefer to do so at church, some churches have Vespers to bring in the Sabbath. At home, the family comes together and begins in song. Often, people open with a special Sabbath song such as "Don't Forget the Sabbath."

5. Reading and discussion of the Scriptures is next.

6. Closing prayer.

7. Read and study on your own, if it is still early.

8. Sleep.

9. Sabbath morning, we pray, eat and head to church service (Sabbath school and Divine Service)

10. After church service, there are quite a few options. We may stay for lunch and a particular ministry in which we are involved. We may go home, eat and take that great Sabbath nap that GV spoke about. We may go to the park and enjoy nature etc. Of course, have Bible study etc.

11. To close the Sabbath, we may return to church (or stay if already there) for Adventist Youth Society. It's for "youth" from birth to 99. :) We close the Sabbath similar to how we opened it. Songs first (especially like "Day is Dying in the West"), study follows and then prayer.

12. Also, there is a sunset calendar for wherever you live. http://www.adventist.org/sun/

This entire post brought back such memories. I'm sitting here in tears right now and I dont understand why?

rara171

HI everyone. I am a super newbie...like just joined 2 min ago.
I finally decided to join when I saw this thread!
Will do the profile later.

anyway,

I have been an Seventh Day Adventist all my life. I am 4th generation I believe. I was so surprised when I saw this post because most people look at me blankly when I tell them about being SDA. I am a vegetarian (which is pretty common in the SDA church) and have never been to a party on friday night (which is kinda crazy for a 20 year old:lachen:).

But I wouldn't have it any other way. Most of my friends look at me crazy because I'd rather stay in and read my devotion on a friday night than go to the Alpha party. During the week I look foward to the Sabbath, knowing this is when i get to sit down, reflect, and put the tasks of reality behind me for a moment. Every Adventist has their own rules and regulations for what you "can and cannot" do, but i think that is missing the point.

God says to honor it. So i believe this is our opportunity to shut off the t.v. and give Him all of our time.

Whether you worship on Sunday or Sabbath is not the main goal in our walk with Christ-but doing all we can to follow his Word and grow in Him.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I know this is probably off-limits and for those who are actually observing Shabbat, I apologize and realize they may not see this until sundown...but I just wanted to send in a nice Jewish prayer...the Shema. Don't know if you 7th Day Adventists know this prayer or not...but it's about "Hear Israel, the L-rd our G-d, the L-rd is One." Just have a feeling to send it in...it will bring tears...and I think it's honorable for christians to honor their "Jewish" roots:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4IO_1NalkA

divya

That one went right over my head. Huh? What does that mean lol!:look: We got Jewish roots/family so that's our interest. Huh? I'm scratching my head. I hate not understanding.

Anyhoo, I was going to say that ....18 minutes before sundown, light your shabbos candles lolol!:lachen:I truly want to know how christians celebrate sabbath. I'd heard that there is a call for people to return to it.

LOL! Sorry girl! Let me explain.

The majority of Christians believe that the Sabbath was done away with at the cross and that the law does not have to be regarded anymore. Many call Sunday the Lord's Day. Some do refer to it as the "Christian Sabbath," but most do not keep Sunday in the same way that the Biblical seventh-day Sabbath.

A minority of Christians believe that the Sabbath (Shabbat) is a living command from God. SDAs believe that the only laws that are not necessary anymore are the ordinances handwritten by Moses, which are sacrificial/ceremonial laws (see Colossians 2:14-16).

The only sabbaths we do not keep are the ones within the ordinances - High Sabbaths - as those look towards the Messiah. So we do not celebrate Pesach, Shavuot, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkoth etc. Jesus has come and died, and so He is our Paschal Lamb. His blood is sufficient to cleanse and save us. These ordinances (including the holyday, new moon, sabbath days or rather high sabbaths) are blotted out due to Jesus.

However, the seventh-day Sabbath is the weekly Sabbath which was instituted at creation, before any of us were Jews or Gentiles etc. Further, God did not do away with the Ten Commandments, which He wrote with His own finger. The ordinances and the Ten Commandments are two different things. The 4th commandment is to keep the Sabbath holy. So that's why I said, a minority of us do keep the Sabbath! :grin:

Last edited:

discobiscuits

Hello & welcome rara171!

Keep talking ladies I'm still learning. I still aint doing all that stuff I said was too mugh work lol but I can see reading and studying more and incorporating some things I've seen so far.

I was hoping for more ppl who worship on sundays to explain why we Christians do this if the Sabbath is Saturday not Sunday.

In my church my pastor's dad used to say that since Christ rose on Sunday that is the new sabbath (paraphrased). He also said that Jesus had to be crucified/die before the sabbath began @ sundown b/c it was illegal or something (again paraphrased from memory of a sermon like 10 yrs ago). But crucifiction was a Roman or Greek thing (can't remember) not a Jewish thing so what difference did it make when he was crucified.

*sigh*

I'm like FS on this one. More info please. I'm taking it in and processing.

Last edited:

Mis007

I think you need to find out what you will and will not be doing for the Sabbath and when it will start, sundown to sundown or another timeframe? If you do choose to do as Jesus did, as someone said, then there will be very strict rules and if you apply that to today's society, you might as well follow the strict guidelines of Jewish Sabbath... Chabad.org will give much insight on the Sabbath.

Non-Jewish Christians are not obligated to observe the Jewish Sabbath and according to orthodoxy, it would be "forbidden." Obviously, there will be some reading this thinking, "what an oxymoron." I know.

Forgive my intrusion into your thread but I'm just wondering what it is you wish to accomplish? Reading, praying, spending time with family? Are you going to walk to services and leave your money and purse at home? No shopping whatsoever? Not carry anything during the Sabbath? Light no matches, turn on no lights or leave them on prior to and all during? Are you going to say the bruchot or the blessings welcoming in the Sabbath? Is there a christian one? Who's going to conclude with Havdalah service? Need a male for that.

When people compare Judaism to it...it's not an easy task and it's for the Jew. That's why I asked about a particular christian one. You can't exactly look to Judaism to give you the proper example although that's where it's coming from. It's a totally different thing. Are you willing to cook a slow meal on low heat before the initiation of the Sabbath and keep it warmed, not touching the stove to not ignite a flame or spark? Not use the car? No internet nor television? We used to observe Shabbat but no longer. Who is going to bake the challah and say the blessing over it? I love challah (braided egg bread, esp. ones made withbutter and raisins)!. I do feel guilty somewhat but we'll get back around to it one day. It's a long and arduous process to observe correctly. See what I mean? What exactly will the Sabbath mean to a christian? Time for rest...how to structure that? I think that might be your key.

Yes it is not easy, I am a Catholic but observe the Sabbath along with my SDA friend who in turn observes the Jewish Shabbat. Every Friday from sunset we have Shabbat the table is blessed in Hebrew, occasionally we will attend the synagogue (not an orthodox one mind for obvious reasons). The rest of the evening is spent in bible study or bible games/play for the children, Saturday is church near enough all day. IMO the SDA Sabbath keeping is a simple version of the Jewish one, but I must point out that not all SDA will acknowledge the Jewish Shabbat my friend believes this the correct way. And yes love me some challah :lick:.

divya

Yes it is not easy, I am a Catholic but observe the Sabbath along with my SDA friend who in turn observes the Jewish Shabbat. Every Friday from sunset we have Shabbat the table is blessed in Hebrew, occasionally we will attend the synagogue (not an orthodox one mind for obvious reasons). The rest of the evening is spent in bible study or bible games/play for the children, Saturday is church near enough all day. IMO the SDA Sabbath keeping is a simple version of the Jewish one, but I must point out that not all SDA will acknowledge the Jewish Shabbat my friend believes this the correct way. And yes love me some challah :lick:.

One day I would like to attend a synagogue just to see how it is conducted. A friend of mine married a Messianic Jew and enjoys attending with her husband, so maybe I will visit one of their congregations. Most SDAs will have a problem with the lack of emphasis on Jesus in other Jewish synagogues, but outside of that, I believe that Sabbath keepers really can learn from each other when it comes to keeping Sabbath holy. :yep:

PaperClip

LOL! Sorry girl! Let me explain.

The majority of Christians believe that the Sabbath was done away with at the cross and that the law does not have to be regarded anymore. Many call Sunday the Lord's Day. Some do refer to it as the "Christian Sabbath," but most do not keep Sunday in the same way that the Biblical seventh-day Sabbath.

A minority of Christians believe that the Sabbath (Shabbat) is a living command from God. SDAs believe that the only laws that are not necessary anymore are the ordinances handwritten by Moses, which are sacrificial/ceremonial laws (see Colossians 2:14-16).

The only sabbaths we do not keep are the ones within the ordinances - High Sabbaths - as those look towards the Messiah. So we do not celebrate Pesach, Shavuot, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkoth etc. Jesus has come and died, and so He is our Paschal Lamb. His blood is sufficient to cleanse and save us. These ordinances (including the holyday, new moon, sabbath days or rather high sabbaths) are blotted out due to Jesus.

However, the seventh-day Sabbath is the weekly Sabbath which was instituted at creation, before any of us were Jews or Gentiles etc. Further, God did not do away with the Ten Commandments, which He wrote with His own finger. The ordinances and the Ten Commandments are two different things. The 4th commandment is to keep the Sabbath holy. So that's why I said, a minority of us do keep the Sabbath! :grin:

Hi, divya:

Thank you for your insight via this post and topic overall. As 1star said she's doing, I'm also processing and as I post, I'm thinking out loud as part of my processing.... so there are a couple of things going through my mind right now:

1. From what's been shared here, the Sabbath observance is a sacrifice, that of time, desires, etc. and we know that this FLESH doesn't want to sacrifice but that there is great reward in sacrifice (or prioritizing things for the Lord). That's why we have to bring our bodies (as well as our souls and minds) under subjection.

2. In the gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, it reads "the Son of Man is Lord also of the Sabbath". (Matt 12:8; Mark 2:28; Luke 6:5). So I'm wondering if it's like this: Lord Jesus Christ = Sabbath. This "equation" does not UNDO the Ten Commandments at all (although that fourth commandment does say "day"
), I go back to my inquiry about the PRINCIPLE of the Sabbath day versus the RITUAL of the Sabbath day, (again, a ritual that I did not grow up doing). By keeping the Lord Jesus Christ (= Sabbath) holy EVERY DAY, I am/am I still honoring that commandment, yes?

So am I disobedient by not practicing the ritual or is the ritual a permissive aspect that cultivates deeper, richer relationships with the Lord and family...because I do greatly appreciate the fellowships that occurs with the Jewish and Seventh-Day practice of honoring the Sabbath.

Again, thanks for your openness and information-sharing in this thread.

Last edited:

divya

Hi, divya:

Thank you for your insight via this post and topic overall. As 1star said she's doing, I'm also processing and as I post, I'm thinking out loud as part of my processing.... so there are a couple of things going through my mind right now:

1. From what's been shared here, the Sabbath observance is a sacrifice, that of time, desires, etc. and we know that this FLESH doesn't want to sacrifice but that there is great reward in sacrifice (or prioritizing things for the Lord). That's why we have to bring our bodies (as well as our souls and minds) under subjection.

Yes, absolutely. It is very much a sacrifice, and one which is well worth it. It is time to commune with the Creator, which itself is an honor. After creation, He rested the Sabbath day and hollowed it. Therefore, He asks us to do the same.

2. In the gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke, it reads "the Son of Man is Lord also of the Sabbath". (Matt 12:8; Mark 2:28; Luke 6:5). So I'm wondering if it's like this: Lord Jesus Christ = Sabbath. This "equation" does not UNDO the Ten Commandments at all (although that fourth commandment does say "day"
), I go back to my inquiry about the PRINCIPLE of the Sabbath day versus the RITUAL of the Sabbath day, (again, a ritual that I did not grow up doing). By keeping the Lord Jesus Christ (= Sabbath) holy EVERY DAY, I am/am I still honoring that commandment, yes?

So am I disobedient by not practicing the ritual or is the ritual a permissive aspect that cultivates deeper, richer relationships with the Lord and family...because I do greatly appreciate the fellowships that occurs with the Jewish and Seventh-Day practice of honoring the Sabbath.

Again, thanks for your openness and information-sharing in this thread.

Yes, “the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath,” so it is He who sets for the principles of the Sabbath. It is His example in life that we look to for how to please the Father in heaven, as He did by keeping the Sabbath on earth as well as the rest of the law. So if I may, I would like to offer a different interpretation. If we look at those chapter, they deal with the issue of what is lawful on the Sabbath, understanding the purpose of the Sabbath.

Matt. 12:1-8 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat. But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day. But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him; How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests? Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

The Pharisees did not understand that the sabbath is not all about simply about what can and cannot do. They were so legalistic that they missed the deeper meaning of the Sabbath - love and communion with God and fellow man. When we read on in those chapters, they tried to condemn Jesus for healing others, helping others etc. It is God's love the should permeate Sabbath keeping. If your neighbor is falling down ill and needs to go to the hospital, should you not take them? In fact, this past Friday night at 3am, my FH received a call. A friend from Florida was driving down and his car broke down on the highway? He was stranded. Should my FH not have gone to help him because it was the Sabbath and his helping might be deemed be unlawful? The Pharisees probably would not have gone. Should we not feed the homeless? Should we not visit nursing homes? God forbid. God's love and compassion should be overflowing on Sabbath, not legalism. This is not to say that we should not keep out of worldly activity, but rather that there are principles that should be in action on Sabbath - especially on Sabbath. Abiding by them is not breaking the Sabbath, but quite the contrary.

So that is my understanding of the verses you have provided. I would venture to say that the majority of Sabbath keepers do consider the Sabbath to be a commandment, rather than simply a ritual. The Scriptures state “If you love me, keep my commandments.” (John 14:15) Keeping the Sabbath and all the other commandments represent our love for God. From that perspective, I personally do not believe that we can keep any other day holy than the one that God has provided for us. The reason is because from creation, the seventh day is the one day that the Lord blessed and hallowed and instructed us to keep holy by not doing any work. It is, thus, a very special time that should be kept accordingly, demonstrating our love for Him.

However, like anything else, one has to be convicted on keeping the Sabbath. Do I believe that not keeping the Sabbath is wrong? Yes, breaking any of the commandments is wrong. But to be clear, there is nothing wrong with attending church on Sunday, as we can go to church any day of week. However, keeping the Sabbath is a command from God and distinct from church attendance alone. Ultimately though, the Lord deals with us individually and embraces the sincerity of our hearts. Pray for the Holy Spirit’s guidance on the issue. I pray that as He convicts and directs, we obey.

Maybe I am just slow today, but what do you mean by “permissive aspect?” It does, however, cultivate deeper, richer relationships with the Lord and family.

Thank you for this discussion. It truly helps to keep our minds stayed on God, as a time where we can be so consumed with everything else but His will for us. God bless.

Last edited:

PaperClip

Yes, absolutely. It is very much a sacrifice, and one which is well worth it. It is time to commune with the Creator, which itself is an honor. After creation, He rested the Sabbath day and hollowed it. Therefore, He asks us to do the same.

Yes, “the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath,” so it is He who sets for the principles of the Sabbath. It is His example in life that we look to for how to please the Father in heaven, as He did by keeping the Sabbath on earth as well as the rest of the law. So if I may, I would like to offer a different interpretation. If we look at those chapter, they deal with the issue of what is lawful on the Sabbath, understanding the purpose of the Sabbath.

The Pharisees did not understand that the sabbath is not all about simply about what can and cannot do. They were so legalistic that they missed the deeper meaning of the Sabbath - love for God and fellow man. When we read on in those chapters, they tried to condemn Jesus for healing others, helping others etc. It is God's love the should permeate Sabbath keeping. If your neighbor is falling down ill and needs to go to the hospital, should you not take them? In fact, this Friday night at 3am, my FH received a call. A friend from Florida was driving down and his car broke down on the highway? He was stranded. Should my FH not go because it is the Sabbath and his helping (from driving to waiting with him) would be unlawful? God forbid. God's love and compassion should be overflowing on Sabbath, not legalism. This is not to say that we should not keep out of worldly activity, but rather that there are principles that should be in action on Sabbath - especially on Sabbath.

So that is my understanding of the verses you have provided. I would venture to say that the majority of Sabbath keepers do consider the Sabbath to be a commandment, rather than simply a ritual. The Scriptures state “If you love me, keep my commandments.” (John 14:15) Keeping the Sabbath and all the other commandments represent our love for God. From that perspective, I personally do not believe that we can keep any other day holy than the one that God has provided for us. The reason is because from creation, the seventh day is the one day that the Lord blessed and hallowed and instructed us to keep holy by not doing any work. It is, thus, a very special time that should be kept accordingly, demonstrating our love for Him.

However, like anything else, one has to be convicted on keeping the Sabbath. Do I believe that not keeping the Sabbath is wrong? Yes, breaking any of the commandments is wrong. But to be clear, there is nothing wrong with attending church on Sunday, as we can go to church any day of week. However, keeping the Sabbath is a command from God and distinct from church attendance alone. Ultimately though, the Lord deals with us individually and embraces the sincerity of our hearts. Pray for the Holy Spirit’s guidance on the issue. I pray that as He convicts and directs, we obey.
Maybe I am just slow today, but what do you mean by “permissive aspect?” It does, however, cultivate deeper, richer relationships with the Lord and family.

Thank you for this discussion. It truly helps to keep our minds stayed on God, as a time where we can be so consumed with everything else but His will for us. God bless.

I understand what you're saying here....

What I meant about "permissive aspect" is what you stated here:

I would venture to say that the majority of Sabbath keepers do consider the Sabbath to be a commandment, rather than simply a ritual.

However, like anything else, one has to be convicted on keeping the Sabbath. Do I believe that not keeping the Sabbath is wrong? Yes, breaking any of the commandments is wrong.

From your vantage point, honoring the Sabbath is more than just ritual, but commandment. It's serious, real, mandatory, personal, and sacred. (Would this be an accurate description?)

I hope that on Judgement Day that I am NOT condemned to hell and eternal torment because I did not honor the Sabbath as you or others honor it.

I am curious to know how to honor the Sabbath in a way that pleases the Lord and that aligns with the Word of God. Something definitive that I can also deem serious, real, mandatory (for the sanctity of my personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ), and sacred.

divya

I understand what you're saying here....

What I meant about "permissive aspect" is what you stated here:

I would venture to say that the majority of Sabbath keepers do consider the Sabbath to be a commandment, rather than simply a ritual.

However, like anything else, one has to be convicted on keeping the Sabbath. Do I believe that not keeping the Sabbath is wrong? Yes, breaking any of the commandments is wrong.

From your vantage point, honoring the Sabbath is more than just ritual, but commandment. It's serious, real, mandatory, personal, and sacred. (Would this be an accurate description?)

Absolutely. It is the reflection of love and obedience to God.

I hope that on Judgement Day that I am NOT condemned to hell and eternal torment because I did not honor the Sabbath as you or others honor it.

I am curious to know how to honor the Sabbath in a way that pleases the Lord and that aligns with the Word of God. Something definitive that I can also deem serious, real, mandatory (for the sanctity of my personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ), and sacred.

This is a touchy subject, but here is my understanding. There are going to be many people in heaven who did not keep the Sabbath here on earth, because God holds us responsible for what we know and understand. For the man who never reads a Bible in His life but heard the story of how Jesus saves and believes...he will be in the kingdom, regardless of the many other things written in the Scriptures of which he is unaware. The same for ths Christian who loves and serves God with all his/her might, but never understood the importance of Sabbath during life - he/she will certainly reach heaven. God is just and merciful and works with us were we are. That is the amazingly beautiful thing about His character. While we can be so harsh and unforgiving, He is the opposite.

However, if someone like me or others who know and understand, yet knowingly reject the truth (Sabbath or another commandment of God), then we will not make it. If we truly believe in Christ as our Savior, then we believe in all that He stands for and will do accordingly. If we do not, it is rejection of His love and saving grace.

So I am highly reluctant to say or dare to think that any person will be condemn to hell for anything. God knows the heart and each persons acceptance of Him and willingness to serve Him. So the most important thing is that we all live according to the light that we have.

As far as how to keep the Sabbath, I would begin with prayer and then with the Sabbath commandment in Exodus 20. Then perhaps study Christ's example on the Sabbath. See what kinds of things that He and His disciples did on Sabbath so you can have an idea of things that God would have us to do. Those chapters that you posted are actually wonderful, because then you can understand the purpose of the Sabbath. Just keep in mind always that your focus should be on God and thus on godly things.

For example, typically that leads most to not watching worldly programming during the Sabbath, but if anything, watch a Bible movie for example. But there are so many things to do on Sabbath that bring us closer to God and help fulfill our mission on earth (spreading the gospel). Studying the word both alone and with others. There are so many Bible studies going on that maybe you can find one to take part in. Going to the park and enjoying nature. So many Sabbaths as a child, we would spend with other families in the park. We would walk and admire the handiwork of God, sit by a stream and picnic and study. There is always door to door witnessing. You can take part in all kinds of ministries at your church - homeless, visit the sick/bedridden etc. Those things warm the heart of God. James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Those are some ways in which you may honor the Lord on His Sabbath. There are variations, as you have seen within this thread. However, I think you may be able understand the points behind most, if not all of them. Maybe you can spend a Sabbath or two with some Sabbath keepers as well. Most of all, with prayer, God will lead you in the way you should go.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Last edited:

discobiscuits

FS: Y u gotta write all that? I'm on my pda. I'm w/ u on the spirit of part.

Y'all need to stop this discussion till I can get to a computer :p

All jokes aside I'm trying to keep up. Can you guys do me a favor & not quote the entire post if it is really long? I'm asking only b/c it is really difficult for me to read the thread on a 2in screen esp if more than one person quotes the same long post. Even in printable mode. Thanks.

ETA: I don't mean don't quote a post just edit it to the part u r addressing. Just a favor.

Still reading...

topsyturvy86

My view on the Sabbath and why Christians worship on Sunday.

First, there are two important things to consider. 1. the Sabbath was given to Israel as the 'sign' of an everlasting Covenant between God and His people in remembrance that it was God who sanctified them (Exodus 31:13-16), and because they should remember God's work in bringing them out of the bondage of Egypt (Deuteronomy 5:13-15). 2. it was instituted as a day of rest from their labours (Exodus 31:17), coinciding with and commemorating God's rest from His. It was to be observed on the seventh day (saturday), and was to be a Holy day wherein their work would cease.

Now, Luke 6:4-5: "How he went into the house of God, and did take and eat the shewbread, and gave also to them that were with him; which it is not lawful to eat but for the priests alone? And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath."

The disciples could work on the Sabbath in the cornfield because Christ as high Priest and Lord of the Sabbath fulfilled the law for them. He is the Sabbath wherein they would find rest from the works of the law. For all of the old testament signs and ceremonial laws and ordinances were fulfilled (completed) in Christ at the cross. They were simply 'types' of the actual things which were to come. The Holy canon speaks of them as a [skia], meaning that they were merely shadows or the prefiguring of the reality which was to come.

Colossians 2:16: "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an Holy day, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath, which are a Shadow of things to come: but the body is of Christ!"

Here God tells us very plainly and 'without ambiguity' that the old testament Sabbath was a [skia] or shadow that pointed to a greater Sabbath to come. All of those old testament laws of Moses like not eating unclean meats, the ceremonial laws of Holy days, the ceremonial laws of the new moons, and right along with these God puts the old testament Sabbath, and says it was merely a 'shadow.' And like all these other laws, it would have it's substance, efficacy, and fulfillment in the person of Jesus Christ, the true it pictured. We are not to be judged by any of these, as the law of these are kept in Christ. We would no more go back to observe the seventh day Sabbath today as we would go back to the Passover, or observe the new moons, or continue the old testament laws of eating meats, or of going to Jerusalem three times a year (Feast of Tabernacles, Passover, Weeks). They were shadows of what has now come. Likewise, Christ is that Sabbath of Rest the children of God looked for, and it has come.

This is explained in Hebrews chapter four. I would suggest everyone very carefully read that chapter of Christ our Rest. His rising from the dead fulfills it and His coming again the consummation of it so that there still remains a Rest for us. When we work six days and rest on the seventh, we bear witness to the Sabbath cycle ordained by God. And God makes it clear that there is a greater rest which is being prepared for those who have Christ as their Sabbath.

God used His directed light of scripture to show the Saints shadows of things that were to come. These are spoken of as signs or tokens. They are the 'types or figures' of the true thing that God had in view from the very beginning. The types forecast things which were to come in God's plan of Salvation. And in this way the Sabbath was a sign of the coming of Christ, our Rest wherein we would cease from our labours. He was the true or the fulfilment of that seventh day Sabbath sign. It is only in Him that any of us would see rest.

We see the same principle when the old testament law commanded that the sacrifice of the passover Lamb was to be kept forever. That was not the real or true, it was the shadow of the true sacrifice Lamb that was to come. Only in Christ would this law be kept forever. By using these old testament laws, God was using shadows and types to illustrate future prophesy. So when Christ came, the law was fulfilled. When the prophecy of the sacrifice passover Lamb was fulfilled, then the practice of observing the shadow (sign of sacrificing a literal lamb) was over. The everlasting law wasn't done away with, it was completed or 'come to fruition' in Christ.

Matthew 5:17 : "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil".
The law was completed or fulfilled. Christ didn't do away with the old testament laws, He was that to which those laws pointed. He is the fruition of them.

Luke 24:44 :"And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me."

Christ fulfilled these old covenant laws which pointed to Him. We now celebrate Christ (the passover Lamb) by the communion service in remembrance of his broken body. In other words, we now recognize that the law of Moses in actual sacrificing of an animal, was merely an old testament 'sign' pointing to the real sacrifice of his body. And with the coming of the real, our eyes are upon it and not any longer upon the 'sign' looking forward to it. We are now looking backward. i.e., the old testament law of the 'passover sacrifice' looked forward to the broken body of Christ, the 'communion service' looks back at the broken body of Christ. The method of observance has changed, but the observance has not. In Christ, we keep the law of the passover forever. The blood of the passover lamb in the true, shed once, and for all.

Hebrews 10:1-2: "for the law having a Shadow of good things to come, and not the very Image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect."

The literal Temple was a shadow of Christ, the true Temple and the veil of the Temple a shadow of His flesh (Hebrews 9:3; 10:20), the High Priests were a shadow of Christ our High Priest who makes intercession for us, the sacrifice Lamb was a shadow that Christ was the true sacrifice Lamb, the lamps were a shadow that Christ was the light of the world, the Passover a shadow that the judgment of God will pass over us as it did the children of Israel, The feast of firstfruits (Pentecost) a shadow that He is our Firstfruits, and the seventh day Sabbath a shadow of Christ, who is our Rest wherein we do no work (Salvation by Grace) to obtain favor of God. They all were looking forward to the true or real that came with Christ.

It is important to understand that this seventh day was fulfilled in Christ in that the works that He 'finished' for us, is what allows us to enter into that Sabbath or Rest. Old things are become new so that in new testament dispensation, the old signs and laws in Christ were completed. With the new Temple the old by law is to be observed no longer. The new is observed in Christ. With the new Passover feast (The Lord's Supper) the old is to be observed by law no longer. With a new High Priest, the old is to be observed by law no longer. With a new sign of Salvation (baptism) the old (of circumcision) is to be observed by law no longer. And with a new Sabbath day (Not a new Sabbath), the old testament day is to be observed by law no longer. We observe it faithfully (as all the old testament everlasting commands of the law) in Christ. And stated, God indeed told us plainly from the start that it was a 'sign' or signification.

Last edited:

topsyturvy86

Exodus 31:13: "Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my Sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you."

It was a sign or signification between God's children and Him that they know they are sanctified or made Holy by God. Again, something which can only happen in Christ as they are delivered from the bondage of sin.

Colossians 1:22: "In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:"

The sign of the sabbath was that they should remember that it was the Lord that made them Holy, they were not Holy of themselves. Likewise in Deuteronomy God says the sign was so that they would remember God's work in bringing them out of the bondage of Egypt.

Deuteronomy 5:15: "And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the Sabbath day."

All this is related to the finished work of Christ on the cross, which the seventh day Sabbath prefigured. The deliverance from bondage to sin that we are set free from the law of works in the Rest of Christ.
But just as there are those theologians of the Church who don't want to give up the old Judaic beliefs in earthly kingdoms, rules, ceremonies, governments, temple, earthly city Jerusalem, or many of the other old testament 'types' which pointed to Christ, so there are also those who don't want to give up the old testament seventh day Sabbath. They either don't understand, or are indoctrinated into believing that we should still be under bondage of old testament shadows. But Christ is our new testament Sabbath of Rest, and changing the day of observance is the same as changing the Passover observance to the Communion observance. It illustrates a move from the old covenant 'representing law' to the new covenant representing Grace (keeping the law in Christ).

When Christ died on the cross and rose from the dead as the Firstfruits on Sunday, this became the sign of the new testament Sabbath, the day of our resurrection or Rest in Christ. When His 'work' was completed, He rose from the dead our new Sabbath or Rest on this day. It became our new testament 'sign.' Just as God ended His work of creation (Genesis 2:2) and rested on Saturday in the beginning, so Christ ended His work of a new creation and we Rest in His resurrection on Sunday, the new testament day of Rest.

Hebrews 4:3-4: "For we which have believed do enter into rest, as He said, as I have sworn in My wrath, if they shall enter into My rest: although the Works were finished from the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8).
for He spake in a certain place on the SEVENTH day on this wise, And God did Rest the seventh day from all His works.

The seventh day Sabbath looked forward to Christ, the Lamb slain from before the foundation of the world that our works are ended. By Grace we are Saved through the works of Him. He is the fulfillment of that Sabbath of rest. Old testament Saints could be Saved because the works were finished from the foundation of the world. In other words, the 'efficacy' of Christ's death and resurrection was upon them as well as us who come along afterward. They were Saved by Grace looking forward to the shed blood of Christ, just as we are likewise Saved by Grace looking backward to the shed Blood of Christ. His blood sacrifice effective looking either forward or backward.

He was their Sabbath of Rest that the seventh day looked forward to. He is our Sabbath of Rest that the eighth day looks back to. In fact the old testament circumcision was on the eighth day to illustrate the true circumcision is in Christ's resurrection.

Hebrews 4:9: "There remaineth therefore a Rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his Rest, he also hath ceased from his own work, as God did His. Let us labour therefore to enter into that Rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief".

And so we see that ultimately, while Christ is our Sabbath of Rest that the seventh day Sabbath was a shadow of, we labour in this world also to enter into that 'realized' Rest at Christ's second coming. It is the consummation of the inheritance which we have ALREADY received. There still remains a Rest for Christians and whoever receives that Rest which Christ promised will rest from his own work, just as God rested from his. Let us then (as scripture prompts), labour to enter into that Rest so that not one of us will fail as they (the Israelites under Moses) did because of their lack of faith (Heb 4:9-11). ALL Christians are given the gift of eternal life and of entering this rest of God. Where the works 'required' were completed from the foundation of the world in Christ. There is no work that we can do to enter into that Rest, for the works have been completed long ago.

And so this is why we do not any longer worship on the seventh day Sabbath. It was a sign, a part of the old testament ceremonial law which pointed to Christ, and as all the other ceremonial laws it was fulfilled in Christ. The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath! Let no man judge you in regards to these 'as if' you should follow these laws still. We follow them by being in Christ who keeps the law perfectly for us.

Last edited:

chicacanella

I need some understanding on this as well because I am confused. Thanks so much you guys.

Iron sharpeneth iron;
so shall a man sharpeneth
the countenance of his friend.
Proverbs 27:17

divya

Thank you for sharing Topsy. I would like to discuss the issue further based on Scripture.

My view on the Sabbath and why Christians worship on Sunday.

First, there are two important things to consider. 1. the Sabbath was given to Israel as the 'sign' of an everlasting Covenant between God and His people in remembrance that it was God who sanctified them (Exodus 31:13-16), and because they should remember God's work in bringing them out of the bondage of Egypt (Deuteronomy 5:13-15). 2. it was instituted as a day of rest from their labours (Exodus 31:17), coinciding with and commemorating God's rest from His. It was to be observed on the seventh day (saturday), and was to be a Holy day wherein their work would cease.

This is where a minority of Christians disagree - on these two issues. First, the Sabbath was given when God created the world in Genesis 2:3, rather than just with Israel. It was blessed and hallowed at Creation. The Ten Commandments are discussed both in the old and the New Testament because they are relevant. Jesus and the early Christians (Jews and Gentiles) both kept the seventh-day Sabbath. Here are a list of Biblical reasons why the Sabbath was not only for the Jews:

1) Adam and Eve were not Jewish. "God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it" (Genesis 2:3) before sin entered. "Sanctified" means "to be set apart for holy use." The only ones in the Garden of Eden for whom the Sabbath was “set apart” were Adam and Eve, who weren’t Jewish.

2) "The Sabbath was made for man." Mark 2:27. Jesus said this. It was "made" in the Garden of Eden before it was "written" down on Mount Sinai. The Sabbath was "made" for "man," not just Jews.

3) The other nine commandments are not "just for Jews." God wrote "Ten Commandments" on stone, not just nine (See Deut. 4:12, 13; Ex. 20). Does “Do not commit adultery,”“Do not murder,”“Do not steal,” and “Do not bear false witness” apply "only to Jews"?

4) "The seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God." Exodus 20:10. God calls the Sabbath, "my holy day." Isaiah 58:13. The Bible never calls it "the Sabbath of the Jews." It isn’t their Sabbath, but God's.

5) The Sabbath commandment is for the "stranger" too. The fourth commandment itself says the "stranger" is to rest on the Sabbath. Exodus 20:10.“Strangers” are non-Jews, or Gentiles. Thus the Sabbath applies to them too. Read also Isaiah 56:6.

6) Isaiah said Gentiles should keep the Sabbath. "Also the sons of the stranger ... every one that keeps the Sabbath ... for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people." Isaiah 56:6, 7. Thus the Sabbath is for Gentiles and “all people,” not just for Jews.

7) "All" mankind will keep the Sabbath in the New Earth. In "the new earth ... from one Sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, says the Lord." Isaiah 66:22, 23. Here God says that “all flesh” will be keeping the Sabbath in “the new earth.” If this is the case – and it is – shouldn’t we start now?

8) Gentiles kept the Sabbath in the Book of Acts. "The Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath ... Paul and Barnabas ... persuaded them to continue in the grace of God."' Acts 13:42, 43. Here saved-by-grace Gentiles kept the Sabbath (see also verse 44).

9) "The law" [of Ten Commandments] is for "all the world," not just for Jews. Paul wrote these words. Read Romans 2:17-23; 3:19, 23.

10) Luke was a Gentile who kept the Sabbath. Luke was the only Gentile who wrote any New Testament books (he wrote The Gospel According to St. Luke and The Acts of the Apostles). Luke traveled with Paul and wrote, "On the Sabbath we went out of the city by a river side." Acts 16:13. It was the seventh-day Sabbath, the memorial of the creation (see Ex. 20:11).

Last edited:

divya

Now, Luke 6:4-5: "How he went into the house of God, and did take and eat the shewbread, and gave also to them that were with him; which it is not lawful to eat but for the priests alone? And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the Sabbath."

The disciples could work on the Sabbath in the cornfield because Christ as high Priest and Lord of the Sabbath fulfilled the law for them. He is the Sabbath wherein they would find rest from the works of the law. For all of the old testament signs and ceremonial laws and ordinances were fulfilled (completed) in Christ at the cross. They were simply 'types' of the actual things which were to come. The Holy canon speaks of them as a [skia], meaning that they were merely shadows or the prefiguring of the reality which was to come.

Colossians 2:16: "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an Holy day, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath, which are a Shadow of things to come: but the body is of Christ!"

Here God tells us very plainly and 'without ambiguity' that the old testament Sabbath was a [skia] or shadow that pointed to a greater Sabbath to come. All of those old testament laws of Moses like not eating unclean meats, the ceremonial laws of Holy days, the ceremonial laws of the new moons, and right along with these God puts the old testament Sabbath, and says it was merely a 'shadow.' And like all these other laws, it would have it's substance, efficacy, and fulfillment in the person of Jesus Christ, the true it pictured. We are not to be judged by any of these, as the law of these are kept in Christ. We would no more go back to observe the seventh day Sabbath today as we would go back to the Passover, or observe the new moons, or continue the old testament laws of eating meats, or of going to Jerusalem three times a year (Feast of Tabernacles, Passover, Weeks). They were shadows of what has now come. Likewise, Christ is that Sabbath of Rest the children of God looked for, and it has come.

With love, the Scriptures must be further examined in this regard. The Scriptures here teach that what the disciples did was lawful on the Sabbath,because Christ is Lord of the Sabbath. That being said, Christ determines what it acceptable on the Sabbath. Now we must discuss the issue of fulfillment and what was done away with at the cross. You are correct that the ordinances/ceremonial laws are blotted out at the cross. However, the question is - what are the ordinances/ceremonial laws?

Col. 2:16 must be read in context with the entire chapter. We must be careful to make sure we are considering all the relevant verses. That being said:

Col. 2:14-16 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

The verses here do not state that all sabbaths or holy days etc. are blotted out at all. If that was the case, even the communion and such would be of none effect. These verses tell us WHICH meats, drinks, holy days, and Sabbaths are not longer necessary – it states the blotting out the handwriting of ordinances. What are the ordinances? Are they different from the commandments? The answer is yes, because the Scriptures tell us the two are different.

Luke 1:6 - And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Clearly, the Bible makes a distinction between the two. They must be different. There are commandments AND then there are ordinances. The next question is then – what are commandments are what are ordinances? The Bible also reveals what exactly the ordinances are:

2 Chronicles 33:8-9 And he set a carved image, the idol which he had made, in the house of God, of which God had said to David and to Solomon his son, In this house, and in Jerusalem, which I have chosen before all the tribes of Israel, will I put my name for ever: Neither will I any more remove the foot of Israel from out of the land which I have appointed for your fathers; so that they will take heed to do all that I have commanded them, according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.

The Bible clearly tells us that the ordinances (ceremonial laws) were handwritten by Moses. The Ten Commandments are not ordinances handwritten by Moses. The Ten Commandments were carved in stone by the finger of God. There is a big difference. Exodus 31:18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

But we cannot stop there. Now, if we study the ordinances we find out that there are particular sabbath days within the ordinances that were given to look forward to the Messiah. Those ordinance sabbaths were, as mentioned earlier - Pesach, Shavuot, Rosh Hashanah, Sukkoth etc. Actually, not all these sabbaths fall on the seventh-day anyway but were special ceremonial days. However, because Jesus has come and died, He is our Lamb. His blood is sufficient to cleanse and save us. These ordinances/ceremonial laws are blotted out as specified in Col. 2:14-16, NOT the Ten Commandments. The seventh-day Sabbath is part of the commandments, not the ordinances.

Honestly, this is one of those areas where must particular study is necessary. When you first read those verses, it is easy to come away with the idea that the seventh-day Sabbath is of none effect. However, if we read the verses around, they show us how to rightly divide the truth. The ordinance sabbaths, holy days, new moons etc., are not necessary. However, the seventh day Sabbath within the commandments written by God still stand, along with all the other commandments.

God bless.

There is an excellent source that discusses Colossians: http://www.colossians2-16.com/

Last edited:

discobiscuits

you all type so much i had to print the thread to read later & highlight.

I'm going to make some posts of things I found on the web that we can discuss as well.

discobiscuits

From: http://bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/1122/Lord-of-Sabbath.htm

Lord of the Sabbath
(From Forerunner Commentary)

Mark 2:27-28 (Go to this verse :: Verse pop-up)

These verses contain a number of things critical to Sabbath keeping:

1. Jesus refers to the Sabbath as a specific day; it is the Sabbath, not a Sabbath.
2. The Sabbath was not made for its own sake as were the other six days, but as a service to mankind. An alternate translation would be that it "was made on account of man." Jesus presents it as the Creator's specific and thoughtful gift to man.
3. It was not made just for the Jews, but for mankind. When God created the Sabbath, He intended it from the beginning as a UNIVERSAL blessing to benefit mankind. He made it to help ensure man's physical and spiritual well-being.
4. The broader context reveals a disagreement over how to keep it. Jesus claims to be its Lord, its Owner or Master, and He thus lays claim to His right to show by His example and verbal instruction how to keep it, not whether to keep it. Since He expresses no disagreement with keeping it, He implies that He expects man—not just Jews—to keep it. He has a perfect opportunity here to reply that it does not matter if men keep it, but He gives no such indication.

John W. Ritenbaugh
The Fourth Commandment (Part One) (1997)

Mark 2:27-28 (Go to this verse :: Verse pop-up)

Jesus Christ is Lord of the Sabbath because He made it (Colossians 1:13-16)! He was the Lord of the Old Testament and the actual Creator of all things.

By ceasing to work on the seventh day of creation week, Christ set apart that 24-hour period and every seventh day afterward for a special and holy use. (The Sabbath begins at sunset, in the evening, at the close of the sixth day, and ends at sunset, in the evening, at the close of the seventh day. See Leviticus 23:32 for an example of when God begins and ends days.)

Why Christians Should Keep God's Holy Days

Luke 4:16 (Go to this verse :: Verse pop-up)

In Jesus' inaugural address, He is associating His work of being man's Benefactor through redemption—the freeing of man from bondage to Satan, the world, and our nature—to the beginning of the fulfillment of God's redemptive function for the Sabbath. In Luke 4:16, He was beginning to magnify the Sabbath law. At the very beginning of His mission on earth, the very first law that He begins to make clear is the Sabbath!

This should remind us of something that happened in the Exodus. What was the first law that the God of the Old Testament revealed to the children of Israel? It was the Sabbath! Does that give any indication that He is preparing to do away with it? Not in the least! In one sense, because of its position, it is the law in the Ten Commandments around which all the others revolve. Yet mankind seems to think of it as being "the least" of the Ten Commandments, but anybody who breaks it consistently is going to lose his liberty.

Until the time of Christ, the Sabbath had not really been used for the purpose that He was beginning to reveal. Christ is magnifying and re-establishing God's original intent for the Sabbath, just as He does in Matthew 5-7 for the other commandments. By identifying Himself with the Sabbath, He is actually affirming His Messiahship.

How, then, did Christ view the Sabbath? Did He actually uphold it? There are some who say that His acts on the Sabbath were intentionally provocative, designed to show that it is no longer binding. So, was He genuinely observing the Sabbath, or deliberately breaking it?

Christ did a lot of things on the Sabbath. It is very evident that, as His ministry progressed towards its end, the things that He did on the Sabbath became more and more bold, open, clear. At the beginning, He "low-keyed" what He did on the Sabbath. Being wise far beyond men, He knew that there would be an explosive reaction to Him. Luke 4 is His announcement of how He would use the Sabbath.

And then— right within the chapter on the very same Sabbath day—His announcement is followed by two healings (Luke 4:31-39) that clearly reveal God's intended use for Sabbath time.

John W. Ritenbaugh

discobiscuits

This one is interesting. This church observes shabbat and worships on sunday at night to honor the sabbath and remember the Lord......

WHO IS LORD OF THE SABBATH?

By Dr. Elias E. Hidalgo
Dr. and Mrs. Hidalgo

Dr. Elias E. Hidalgo
Founder-Director

WHO IS LORD OF THE SABBATH ?

There are certain words and/or terms that when used in Christianity seem to elicit from some a positive response, while at the same time from others a negative reaction. It simply amazes me as I have listened to certain individuals over a period of more than thirty years, as they editorialize the Holy Bible in order to apply The Word of God to their own culture and traditions. For example, the all-encompassing subject of the Sabbath (Shabbat). You would think that these individuals who apply their various explanations of the Sabbath actually invented Shabbat.

FORGOTTEN SOMEHOW

Forgotten somehow is the fact that it was the Almighty God who introduced and installed for all time the goodness of the Sabbath (See: Genesis chapter Two). By the way, the Sabbath (of God) falls on the seventh day of the week (Gen. 2:2), not on the first day of the week as some would have us believe.

Before we go any further, let's establish for ourselves a biblical definition of the word 'Sabbath'. It means Rest. In Genesis 2:2, we read that the Lord God blessed the Seventh day, then we are told that He sanctified it, and lastly that in it, He rested (Shabbat).

THUS THE SEVENTH DAY

Thus the Seventh day that is blessed and sanctified by The Almighty God is called the Sabbath (Shabbat).

Now if your tradition or practice is to worship the Lord on Sunday, which is the first day of the week, you shouldn't worry. You have the right and privilege to worship the Lord on the first day of the week, and may I remind you that you should continue worshipping our Lord on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and yes even on the 7th day of the week (Shabbat).

WHO ARE WE TO CHOOSE

Who are we to choose which day we are to worship the Lord? Oh, some may say that Y'shua (Jesus) rose from the dead on the first day of the week, therefore, we must worship Him on that day. Well, that's no problem, but what do they do the rest of the week? Do they not worship Him every day of the week? Furthermore, if you choose the first day (Sunday) of the week to worship Him at 11:00 a.m., have you forgotten, as recorded in John 20:1, that Y'shua (Jesus) had risen from the dead while it was yet 'dark'. Therefore, why do you not worship the Lord while it is dark? Why do you so conveniently wait until 9:00, 10:00, or 11:00 a.m. on Sunday?

YOU MAY WORSHIP ON SUNDAY

As stated previously, you may worship on Sunday, but please don't forget the other days of the week to honor the Lord. I mention all of this to bring us to our subject of the Sabbath (Shabbat).

LORD OF THE SABBATH

Who is Lord of the Sabbath (Shabbat)? In Matthew 12:8 we read "for the Son of man (Y'shua-Jesus) is Lord even of the Sabbath day"! Isn't it interesting that nowhere in the Holy Bible do we read that God is Lord over any other specific day of the week, except the seventh day, which is Shabbat (the Sabbath). We read in Revelation 1:11, that the Apostle John "was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day". Now what day do you suppose that is? Well, you have seven choices since a week has seven days. If you conclude that it is the Sabbath (Shabbat), the seventh day of the week that long ago the Almighty God blessed and sanctified (remember Genesis 2), then you are absolutely and completely correct.

You may ask me, Dr. Hidalgo, are you telling me that Jesus and His Apostles and all the disciples actually met and worshipped on Saturday? My unequivocal answer is YES, YES, & YES! Then who changed the day of worship ?

I THOUGHT YOU WOULD NEVER ASK

Oh, I thought you would never ask. There are many things that we find today being observed in Christianity, and even memorialized which are not found nor are they commanded in the Holy Bible. You would think that people who love The Word of God would actually observe its commandments without changing them.

WHAT HAPPENED TO CHRISTIANITY?

What happened to Christianity? By the end of the third century after the advent of Christ, everything that had any semblance of, or connection with, the Jewish people, disappeared from off the face of the earth. Christianity has it's roots and foundation in Christ, a Jewish man (and yet God), and every fundamental doctrine and teaching found within the pages of The Old Testament (see: Luke 24:44), SPEAKS about Y'shua (Jesus) Who came through the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (the Jewish people). Yes, Christianity did so well (the first two centuries); then came the big change as more and more Gentiles (non-Jewish) people continued entering the congregation of believers; almost overnight the Sabbath became Sunday.

IT IS MOST INTERESTING

It is most interesting that Christianity for the most part worships on the first day of the week called Sun-day. What does the Sun have to do with all of this? Let us remember the day that the Lord has made (Psalm 118). Should we not according to Scripture worship and rejoice in God's-day (Sabbath-Shabbat), rather than Man's-day (Sun-day).

We at Shalom Scripture Studies come together and worship the Lord on the Sabbath (which is our Friday evening service), and also on the first day of the week while it is yet dark (which is our Saturday evening service). Thus we worship and remember the Lord of the Sabbath day, as well as recognizing the resurrection of Y'shua (Jesus) by worshipping on the first day of the week, while it is yet dark.

In conclusion, may I encourage you to remember the 4th commandment in Exodus 20. "Remember the Sabbath day (the Seventh day), to keep it holy".

Please don't forget to observe all 10 commandments, for all ten are most holy before God. Neglecting just one dishonours God.

May the Lord grant you wisdom to know the difference between God's Law and man's law. Shalom (Peace) in Him.

topsyturvy86

When you first read those verses, it is easy to come away with the idea that the seventh-day Sabbath is of none effect. However, if we read the verses around, they show us how to rightly divide the truth. The ordinance sabbaths, holy days, new moons etc., are not necessary. However, the seventh day Sabbath within the commandments written by God still stand, along with all the other commandments.

God bless.

There is an excellent source that discusses Colossians: http://www.colossians2-16.com/

I never said it should be blotted out! and the bible passages I quoted don't say that either. It basically says that Christ completes/fulfils the law. The concept of the Sabbath was fulfilled with Jesus Christ.

Read Galatians 3: 19 - 25. It talks about the purpose of the law. I'll start from verse 23. "But before faith came, we were kept under the guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us back to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor." (We are no longer under the law!)

The Old Testament Law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to reveal to the Israelites how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments for example). Some of the laws were to show the Israelites how to worship God and atone for sin (the sacrificial system).

In place of the Old Testament law, as Christians, we are under the law of Christ (as referenced in Galatians 6:2) which is in Matthew 22:37-40 says "Jesus said to him, "you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it:"you shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the Law and Prophets."

discobiscuits

Okay, this page as a table that compares the sabbath under law and sabbath under grace. I can't post the table and the text is really long so here's the link: http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/reformed/sabbath.htm This site basically says NT Observance should be every day, seven days a week.

Jesus did not do away with the law but he did set precedence for how to observe and respect the spirit of the law (FS mentioned the spirit of the observance of sabbath a few posts back) versus the letter of the law.

It was further made clear that the law was death anyway and that by breaking any of it one has broken all of it.

I'm thinking that for me, so far, if I observe the letter of the law I have to find a new occupation as I am subject to work any given day of the year and currently I work on Saturdays. If I observe the spirit of the law it is to take a day of rest and reflection of what God has done and do so in reverence with respect.

Protestant so-called main-stream Christians are taught that Jesus was with God at creation and, in fact, is that same God (He/They are the We/Us in Genesis). So basically, Jesus created the sabbath at the time of creation of man. He then incarnated Himself in sinful flesh and, in His death on a tree, became the final pure, clean, unblemished, sin-free sacrifice to expunge the sins of all mankind. Man's belief in His subsequent resurrection is the means to salvation. Then he returned to that same God, His Father Whom He is also, and was accepted by God the Father as that pure sacrifice. He now sits next to God and from this throne He will judge all mankind and those whose names He finds that are not blotted out of the Lamb's book of life will not be eternally separated from Him/God.

I said all that in the paragraph above to say this: Jesus said in the NT that He is the Lord of the sabbath. He is the creator of the sabbath. He demonstrated in His acts of allowing the disciples to eat grain on the sabbath, healing on the sabbath et cetra that it is the spirit of the law that we must respect and keep.

Right now I'm thinking, based on the NT like FS specified in her OP, that as long as I take a day, any day, to observe the spirit of the law and rest from my work then I am honoring the sabbath and keeping it holy.

Thoughts please?​

divya

This is explained in Hebrews chapter four. I would suggest everyone very carefully read that chapter of Christ our Rest. His rising from the dead fulfills it and His coming again the consummation of it so that there still remains a Rest for us. When we work six days and rest on the seventh, we bear witness to the Sabbath cycle ordained by God. And God makes it clear that there is a greater rest which is being prepared for those who have Christ as their Sabbath.

God used His directed light of scripture to show the Saints shadows of things that were to come. These are spoken of as signs or tokens. They are the 'types or figures' of the true thing that God had in view from the very beginning. The types forecast things which were to come in God's plan of Salvation. And in this way the Sabbath was a sign of the coming of Christ, our Rest wherein we would cease from our labours. He was the true or the fulfilment of that seventh day Sabbath sign. It is only in Him that any of us would see rest.

Hebrews 4 is an affirmation of the seventh-day Sabbath.

Hebrews 4:9-11 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.1Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

The Bible here states that there remains a rest to the people of God. It tells us the Bible states that those who enter into the rest, cease from our own work just as God did. Thus we must labor to enter into that rest – we must keep the Sabbath.

We see the same principle when the old testament law commanded that the sacrifice of the passover Lamb was to be kept forever. That was not the real or true, it was the shadow of the true sacrifice Lamb that was to come. Only in Christ would this law be kept forever. By using these old testament laws, God was using shadows and types to illustrate future prophesy. So when Christ came, the law was fulfilled. When the prophecy of the sacrifice passover Lamb was fulfilled, then the practice of observing the shadow (sign of sacrificing a literal lamb) was over. The everlasting law wasn't done away with, it was completed or 'come to fruition' in Christ.

Matthew 5:17 : "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil".
The law was completed or fulfilled. Christ didn't do away with the old testament laws, He was that to which those laws pointed. He is the fruition of them.

Luke 24:44 :"And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me."

Reading Luke 1:6 and 2 Chron 33:8-9, we learn that ordinances and commandments are two different things. The Bible never states that Old Testament law is done away with. It states that the ordinances are blotted out (see Col. 2:16). The Ten Commandment are still valid. Only the specific sabbaths in the ordinances are blotted out (Yum Kippur, Rosh Hashanah etc.) because they pointed to Christ.

Further, once again we must read all the verses for context. Matthew 5:17 says “"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil".

When is the law fulfilled? The VERY NEXT VERSE tell us when the law will be fulfilled.

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

The Bible says until heaven and earth pass then nothing passes from the law because only then all will be fulfilled. Have heaven and earth passed away yet? NO. Christ’s coming and dying was part of the fulfillment of the law, but according to the Bible, ALL is not fulfilled until heaven and earth pass away. That has not happened yet, so the law is still valid. That is why when we keep reading, Jesus goes on to state that we should be keeping the commandments.

divya

I never said it should be blotted out! and the bible passages I quoted don't say that either. It basically says that Christ completes/fulfils the law. The concept of the Sabbath was fulfilled with Jesus Christ.

Read Galatians 3: 19 - 25. It talks about the purpose of the law. I'll start from verse 23. "But before faith came, we were kept under the guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us back to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor." (We are no longer under the law!)

The Old Testament Law was given to the nation of Israel, not to Christians. Some of the laws were to reveal to the Israelites how to obey and please God (the Ten Commandments for example). Some of the laws were to show the Israelites how to worship God and atone for sin (the sacrificial system).

In place of the Old Testament law, as Christians, we are under the law of Christ (as referenced in Galatians 6:2) which is in Matthew 22:37-40 says "Jesus said to him, "you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it:"you shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the Law and Prophets."

Here are the relevant verses: Matthew 5:17 says “"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil".Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

When is the law fulfilled? When heaven and earth pass. Heaven and earth have not passed away, so we are to still follow God's law.

You are correct. We are no longer under the law, meaning that through the grace given by Jesus we are forgiven and we can go on to live lives in accordance with the law with His guidance. The Bible does not state that we are not to follow the law. Jesus states in John 14:15, If you love me, keep my commandments.

It is not enough to start at verse 23 in Galatians because one will miss this all important verse: And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.Galatians 3:17

The law was confirmed through Jesus and cannot disannul. It cannot be canceled. We today can living in accordance with God's law because of Jesus' saving grace.

The Bible does not state that there is anything in place of the Ten Commandments. You are correct about the following verses: Matthew 22:37-40 says "Jesus said to him, "you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind."This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it:"you shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the Law and Prophets.

The bolded is the key. The those two commandments, the other commandments are based. That's why if you understand those two, then you understand the rest of the commandments. All of the Ten Commandments deal with either loving God or loving your neighbor - that's why Jesus calls them the greatest. Jesus never said that we are not to keep the rest of the commandments. If He did, then we would be able to commit adultery or steal. God forbid. We must have an understanding of the commandments' focus, which is why the first and second mentioned are key.

Here are the commandments that hang the first greatest commandment - Loving God " with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind".

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

Here are the commandments that hang on the second greatest commandment - "you shall love your neighbour as yourself."

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

That's what "hang all the law" means. All the other commandments are based on those two commandments -either loving God or our neighbor. That's why Jesus describes them as the greatest. If we understand them, we understand the importance of all.

Lastly, not all Old Testament laws are ordinances/ceremonial laws. Nowhere in the Bible does it states that all Old Testament law is done away with, only the ordinances. The ordinances are handwritten by Moses. See Col. 2:14-16, Luke 1:6 and 2 Chron 33:8. The Ten Commandments are written by the finger of God and are all valid, including the seventh day Sabbath. How can we claim that commandments and ordinances are the same, when the Bible makes a clear distinction. The hand of God and the hand of man are certainly not the same.

Last edited: