Honoring the Sabbath New Testament Style (seeking insight)

topsyturvy86

Here are the commandments that hang the first greatest commandment - Loving God " with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind".

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

Here are the commandments that hang on the second greatest commandment - "you shall love your neighbour as yourself."

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

That's what "hang all the law" means. All the other commandments are based on those two commandments -either loving God or our neighbor. That's why Jesus describes them as the greatest. If we understand them, we understand the importance of all.

Lastly, not all Old Testament laws are ordinances/ceremonial laws. Nowhere in the Bible does it states that all Old Testament law is done away with, only the ordinances. The ordinances are handwritten by Moses. See Col. 2:14-16, Luke 1:6 and 2 Chron 33:8. The Ten Commandments are written by the finger of God and are all valid, including the seventh day Sabbath. How can we claim that commandments and ordinances are the same, when the Bible makes a clear distinction. The hand of God and the hand of man are certainly not the same.

The bolded was my point exactly and that is exactly what the passage means. Through Christ, we have the real thing, no more a shadow. Read again the reason for the law stated in Galatians. It was a tutor. No one said their not valid, Jesus fulfilled the law and not abolished it, i've said that a million times already (sigh). He fulfilled all of the law, not some of the law/all of the law except the Sabbath.

I know you're SDA and this is your strong belief/foundation and I respect that, please respect mine too.

I'm under grace and refuse to be bound under the law again (Through Christ,I do not have to be). Although i'm not bound to the law, I still keep the law but through Christ. Through loving God and loving people (as you detailed above,the 10 commandments all hang on those!). I observe Sabbath/most Christians observe Sabbath on a Sunday because it was when Jesus resurrected and we entered a 7day a week/24hrs a day Sabbath day/as the bible often put it, "rest with God". Through Christ, that commandment would be observed forever as the passover through Christ would be observed forever. I keep my Sundays holy and restful.

Last edited:

divya

The bolded was my point exactly and that is exactly what the passage means. Through Christ, we have the real thing, no more a shadow. Read again the reason for the law stated in Galatians. It was a tutor. No one said their not valid, Jesus fulfilled the law and not abolished it, i've said that a million times already (sigh). He fulfilled all of the law, not some of the law/all of the law except the Sabbath.

I know you're SDA and this is your strong belief/foundation and I respect that, please respect mine too.

I'm under grace and refuse to be bound under the law again (Through Christ,I do not have to be). Although i'm not bound to the law, I still keep the law but through Christ. Through loving God and loving people (as you detailed above,the 10 commandments all hang on those!). I observe Sabbath/most Christians observe Sabbath on a Sunday because it was when Jesus resurrected and we entered a 7day a week/24hrs a day Sabbath day/as the bible often put it, "rest with God". Through Christ, that commandment would be observed forever as the passover through Christ would be observed forever. I keep my Sundays holy and restful.

With all respect, the Bible is the authority on any matter. I understand what you believe. However, the verses state the following:

Matthew 5:17-18 “"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil".For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

While I respect your beliefs, the Scriptures must prevail. Until heaven and earth pass then ALL will be fulfilled, and until that, nothing passes from the law. Jesus did fulfill but there is more fulfillment to come. I can only acknowledge what the Bible says, no other. If God changed the Sabbath, there must be a Scripture that states the Sabbath is changed to another day or that Jesus is the Sabbath. However, there is neither in the Word. Sunday worship came into the Christianity through incorporation of non-Christian beliefs. That is why there are some churches that were less affected by those influences, and so many still keep the seventh day Sabbath. (see some in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church). That is not to say that there are not sincere Christians who worship on Sunday - there certainly are. You are clearly one. However, you must understand that the battle is against Satan and his attempts to pervert the truth. I will provide a little more information on this matter. My point is not to upset you at all, but to point only to God's desires for us as humans.

Also, in terms of the resurrection, the Bible gives instruction on what we should do in remembrance of God's death and resurrection in Romans 6.

Romans 6:4 -11 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The Bible states here that baptism should be done remembrance of the resurrection. It a beautiful thing! There is though no evidence in the Bible that we are instructed to worship on Sunday to celebrate the resurrection. The Bible is very clear on the matter. If you can find any clear Scriptural support, then I would love to read it. But Romans seems to give us our actions in remembrance.

God bless dear and regardless of our disagreement, we are still sisters in Christ.

Last edited:

topsyturvy86

With all respect, the Bible is the authority on any matter. I understand what you believe. However, the verses state the following:

Matthew 5:17-18 “"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil".For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

While I respect your beliefs, the Scriptures must prevail. Until heaven and earth pass then ALL will be fulfilled, and until that, nothing passes from the law. Jesus did fulfill but there is more fulfillment to come. I can only acknowledge what the Bible says, no other.

The bible is infact the authority. Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

It is true that Christ did not come to destroy or to abolish the law or the Prophets. Every jot and tittle or last letter of the law is still in effect, but Jesus makes it very clear that what He came to do, is to FULFILL them.
Fulfill: (1) To accomplish or to carry into effect, as a Prophecy or a Promise; (2) to meet or satisfy the requirements; (3) to bring to a finish or completion; (4) to bring the conditions of a law to realization; (5)to bring to a consummation.
-ful.fil.er, n.--ful.fill.ment, ful.fil.ment, An act of fulfilling; condition of being accomplished.​
By fulfilling the law Christ satisfied it's requirements in our place. In other words, the 'required' obedience is accomplished in Him. Therefore, in Christ do we keep all the law faithfully, and cannot be accused. In this way, we are no longer judged by any of the everlasting laws, for we are under the Grace of God (Romans 6:14 scripture for that claim). Galatians 2:16 says "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law, no flesh shall be justified".

Galatians 5:14 says "For all the law is fulfilled in one word (love), even in this: "You shall love your neighbour as yourself"".

Jesus said he came to fulfil the law as we've quoted so many times. John 19: 28 & 30 says "After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said, "I thirst!" ..... So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" and bowing His head, He gave up His spirit".

Everything He came to do, He finished/He accomplished/He completed. This includes the fulfillment of the law.

Last edited:

topsyturvy86

If God changed the Sabbath, there must be a Scripture that states the Sabbath is changed to another day or that Jesus is the Sabbath. However, there is neither in the Word. Sunday worship came into the Christianity through incorporation of non-Christian beliefs. That is why there are some churches that were less affected by those influences, and so many still keep the seventh day Sabbath. (see some in the Ethiopian Orthodox Church). That is not to say that there are not sincere Christians who worship on Sunday - there certainly are. You are clearly one. However, you must understand that the battle is against Satan and his attempts to pervert the truth. I will provide a little more information on this matter. My point is not to upset you at all, but to point only to God's desires for us as humans.

Also, in terms of the resurrection, the Bible gives instruction on what we should do in remembrance of God's death and resurrection in Romans 6.

Romans 6:4 -11 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him. For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God. Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

The Bible states here that baptism should be done remembrance of the resurrection. It a beautiful thing! There is though no evidence in the Bible that we are instructed to worship on Sunday to celebrate the resurrection. The Bible is very clear on the matter. If you can find any clear Scriptural support, then I would love to read it. But Romans seems to give us our actions in remembrance.

God bless dear and regardless of our disagreement, we are still sisters in
Christ.

I will touch on this part a bit later on as i have to step out now.

divya

The bible is infact the authority. Matthew 5:17 "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled."

It is true that Christ did not come to destroy or to abolish the law or the Prophets. Every jot and tittle or last letter of the law is still in effect, but Jesus makes it very clear that what He came to do, is to FULFILL them.

Fulfill: (1) To accomplish orto carry into effect, as a Prophecy or a Promise; (2) to meet or satisfy the requirements; (3) to bring to a finish or completion; (4) to bring the conditions of a law to realization; (5)to bring to a consummation.
-ful.fil.er, n.--ful.fill.ment, ful.fil.ment, An act of fulfilling; condition of being accomplished.​
By fulfilling the law Christ satisfied it's requirements in our place. In other words, the 'required' obedience is accomplished in Him. Therefore, in Christ do we keep all the law faithfully, and cannot be accused. In this way, we are no longer judged by any of the everlasting laws, for we are under the Grace of God (Romans 6:14 scripture for that claim). Galatians 2:16 says "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law, no flesh shall be justified".

Galatians 5:14 says "For all the law is fulfilled in one word (love), even in this: "You shall love your neighbour as yourself"".

Jesus said he came to fulfil the law as we've quoted so many times. John 19: 28 & 30 says "After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said, "I thirst!" ..... So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished!" and bowing His head, He gave up His spirit".

Everything He came to do, He finished/He accomplished/He completed. This includes the fulfillment of the law.

Scriptures interprets Scripture. Nothing the Bible conflicts, so we must take a closer look.

John 19: 27 -30 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home. After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst. Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a spunge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Absolutely! All things that Christ need to do at that point so that the scripture be fulfilled through His life on earth. So yes! It was finished, He gave His life for us! However, statement does not mention anything about the law. The law is discussed in Matthew 5:17-18, and will not pass away until heaven and earth passes away. The Ten Commandment stand.

Here is a great explanation of the law and what it means to not be under the law:
Satan's Deceptions on God's Law of Love http://www.godssabbath.com/

Why do some people think we no longer have to obey God's Ten Love Rules? This is a very good question, and one I have no good answer to. Why indeed would anyone want to look for any reason whatsoever why not to love God and their fellow man? This was the very reason we were created and what life is all about. A loving relationship with our Creator and people. One thing is for certain, Satan certainly does not want us to have a loving relationship with God and no doubt has successfully deceived many into believing that the law is something we no longer need to keep by painting a false picture in our minds as to what the law is.

These are just some of Satan's deceptions. We are now under Grace not law. Romans 6:14 “For sin shall not have dominion over you: for you are not under the law, but under grace.” Rarely is the next verse quoted which says; “What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.” Galatians 3 has also been used as one of Satan's best deceptions why not to love God and people. Paul was actually explaining to the Galatians that salvation is a free gift of God and there is nothing they can do to earn it. Rather than receiving their salvation by faith in Jesus and the grace of God, they were trying to earn their salvation by obeying the law. Paul explains to them that to earn their salvation by keeping the law, would mean being under the Law instead of God's Grace and that they would therefore have to obey every letter of the law, i.e. to keep it perfectly. This of course is not possible as Romans 3:23 says; “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” Another deception of Satan's is to have us believe that it is legalism to obey the law and this is especially one of his favourites when it comes to the Sabbath. The question then is; is it legalism to love God and people? i.e. the very thing we were created for? If the answer to this question needs explaining then we should probably give up right here.

divya

Today there are a substantial number of Christians who are unaware that some of the beliefs in Christian Churches have originated from manmade traditions and paganism. The current day of worship is a good example of this as it originated from sun worship which is why we have the pagan name SUN-day. It was not changed in honour of the resurrection as some claim and history confirms that all Christians worshipped on Saturday until at least 120 AD, when persecution for Judaism caused some to change days in fear of their lives. Millions also died through the dark ages for refusing to worship on Sunday that was made law in the fourth century and is why all except around five hundred denominations now worship on Sunday. These are facts unbeknown to most Christians today.

We also trust the example of Jesus and Paul who always kept the Sabbath. Paul was a Pharisee and hence a Jew and followed the Jewish ways to the strictest letter. Acts 26:3-5 “The Jews all know the way I have lived ever since I was a child, from the beginning of my life in my own country, and also in Jerusalem. They have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing, that according to the strictest sect of our religion, I lived as a Pharisee.” Notice in the following verse that this is a Jewish synagogue and that Jews have all through history, without change, worshipped on Saturday as they still do today. Acts 17:2 “…they came to Thessalonica, where there was a Jewish synagogue. As his CUSTOM was, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures.” Since it was the custom of Jesus, (Luke 4:16) Paul and the early Church, and Jesus assured us not one stroke of the law is going to pass, then we also follow their example and enjoy the promised blessings of God’s Holy Sabbath day. Most of the misunderstanding in this area comes from confusion between the Mosaic Law (ended) and the Ten Commandment law.

We believe that there is only one way to establish truth, and it is not by taking for granted what we tell you or what your most trusted friend tells you or even what your Pastor teaches. God’s children need to be like the Berean Christians who “received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true” Acts 17:11. This is the only way to get back to the Biblically based belief system of the early Church and put aside the traditions that have become accepted doctrines over the centuries, and obscured the original teachings and examples of Jesus and the Apostles.

Our certainty is that we have been saved through Grace, by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ and that He has saved us from the penalty that our sins deserved. We recognize that because He has saved us from the consequences of the law, it does not mean that we no longer have to obey God’s law of love, but to the contrary it amplifies our desire to follow God’s Commandments to the best of our ability, because we know what an enormous price Christ paid on our behalf.

http://www.godssabbath.com/about.html

divya

Divya you are right on point with all of your posts. ITA with everything.

Thanks. This is a very difficult topic. I keep considering whether or not I am doing more damage that God continuing in a debate regarding the validity of the Ten Commandments. Of course, there is much evidence in the Scriptures. My prayer is just that people will read and understand for themselves.

divya

Okay, this page as a table that compares the sabbath under law and sabbath under grace. I can't post the table and the text is really long so here's the link: http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/reformed/sabbath.htm This site basically says NT Observance should be every day, seven days a week.

Jesus did not do away with the law but he did set precedence for how to observe and respect the spirit of the law (FS mentioned the spirit of the observance of sabbath a few posts back) versus the letter of the law.

It was further made clear that the law was death anyway and that by breaking any of it one has broken all of it.

I'm thinking that for me, so far, if I observe the letter of the law I have to find a new occupation as I am subject to work any given day of the year and currently I work on Saturdays. If I observe the spirit of the law it is to take a day of rest and reflection of what God has done and do so in reverence with respect.

Protestant so-called main-stream Christians are taught that Jesus was with God at creation and, in fact, is that same God (He/They are the We/Us in Genesis). So basically, Jesus created the sabbath at the time of creation of man. He then incarnated Himself in sinful flesh and, in His death on a tree, became the final pure, clean, unblemished, sin-free sacrifice to expunge the sins of all mankind. Man's belief in His subsequent resurrection is the means to salvation. Then he returned to that same God, His Father Whom He is also, and was accepted by God the Father as that pure sacrifice. He now sits next to God and from this throne He will judge all mankind and those whose names He finds that are not blotted out of the Lamb's book of life will not be eternally separated from Him/God.

I said all that in the paragraph above to say this: Jesus said in the NT that He is the Lord of the sabbath. He is the creator of the sabbath. He demonstrated in His acts of allowing the disciples to eat grain on the sabbath, healing on the sabbath et cetra that it is the spirit of the law that we must respect and keep.

Right now I'm thinking, based on the NT like FS specified in her OP, that as long as I take a day, any day, to observe the spirit of the law and rest from my work then I am honoring the sabbath and keeping it holy.

Thoughts please?​

I love the bolded regarding the Lord's example of how to keep the Sabbath. He truly is Lord of the Sabbath and Lord of all. His example is always to be followed!

Interesting interpretation on the website. Here is where I would disagree based on Scripture. In the table, Hebrews 4:1-11 is used state that one is to rest every day of the week. But in fact, here is where their statements cannot be reconciled with the verses mentioned.

Hebrews 4:4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

Hebrew 4:10-11 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

So here the Bible tells us exactly what God did - He rested on the 7th day from all His works. Then a few verses down it says, that those who enter into His rest are those who cease from our own works just like God did. So that means we must cease from work on the 7th day. That is why we must strive to do the very same thing.

topsyturvy86

I'm soo done here. Finally, as i've said over and over again, the 10 commandments are still in fact observed but through Christ Jesus. They fall under loving God with all our hearts, soul, and might, and loving our neighbours as ourselves. If we genuinely love God and people, the 10 commandments are very easily observed. I was never saying as i've corrected too many times now that it is void, it is fulfilled.

Anyway, my salvation does not depend on engaging in rituals to observe the seventh day Sabbath. I am now in God's rest which is no longer a calendar day each week, but every day, which includes the seventh.God's rest is entered by faith—by believing the gospel (Hebrews 4). The author is not interested in a day of the week. God's rest is continuous and not limited to a day (e.g. Matthew 11:28-3) and all through the NT. A person who keeps the weekly Sabbath but rejects Christ has not entered God's rest. Therefore, weekly Sabbath keeping does not equal God's rest. Acceptance and faith in Christ equals God's rest.

And to clarify,eariler I wasn't justifying Sunday Sabbath, I was giving the history that I know of why Christians worship on Sundays. It is a personal choice as I said lots earlier to dedicate my Sundays to the things of God. I think i've more than made my point and would probably not reply any longer.

Last edited:

PaperClip

If I may....

I appreciate everybody's contribution to my thread. I am processing this topic so I am not going back and forth responding to everybody's posts. As a reminder, the core inquiry of my thread was to gain understanding of how I should observe the sabbath. I mentioned my curiosity as to HOW my sabbath observance should look like, which is more important to me (at this point) than the WHEN. I also noted the influence of culture, which has dictated for all of us as to when and how this sabbath observance occurs.

Ultimately, we have the Word of God to guide us, and as in EVERY QUESTION/ISSUE we may have about this Christian walk, it's an ongoing debate (for lack of a better word) about what carries over from the Old Testament into the New Testament and exactly what Calvary did, erased, resolved, redeemed, etc.

Sooooo... with that said:

I wholeheartedly believe that the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ TORE THE VEIL between God and man and that I have a DIRECT RELATIONSHIP and DIRECT CONTACT to the Lord to guide me in how to observe this sabbath.... to take a designated amount of time to rest and reflect and re-energize myself through disciplined activities focused on the Lord Jesus Christ. I attend corporate worship service on Sundays, following what the Lord did as recorded in Luke 4:16: as it was His custom, He went to the synagogue on the Sabbath (which was on Saturday). The earthly Jesus followed His Jewish cultural heritage. I am not culturally Jewish but I learn from the PRINCIPLES and BEHAVIORS and CONDUCT of the Lord Jesus Christ and I work to carry out those PRINCIPLES in my daily life. Do I choose culture over Christ? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But what would the Lord have me do that is not empty ritual or dead works? That's what I must avoid at all costs.

Last edited:

divya

I'm soo done here. Finally, as i've said over and over again, the 10 commandments are still in fact observed but through Christ Jesus. They fall under loving God with all our hearts, soul, and might, and loving our neighbours as ourselves. If we genuinely love God and people, the 10 commandments are very easily observed. I was never saying as i've corrected too many times now that it is void, it is fulfilled.

Anyway, my salvation does not depend on engaging in rituals to observe the seventh day Sabbath. I am now in God's rest which is no longer a calendar day each week, but every day, which includes the seventh.God's rest is entered by faith—by believing the gospel (Hebrews 4). The author is not interested in a day of the week. God's rest is continuous and not limited to a day (e.g. Matthew 11:28-3) and all through the NT. A person who keeps the weekly Sabbath but rejects Christ has not entered God's rest.

And to clarify,eariler I wasn't justifying Sunday Sabbath, I was giving the history that I know of why Christians worship on Sundays. It is a personal choice as I said lots earlier to dedicate my Sundays to the things of God. I think i've more than made my point and would probably not reply any longer.

May God bless you in your walk. My salvation is in Jesus Christ alone, but I do choose to follow Christ's words which are "If you love me, keep my commandments." It is unfortunate that anyone would state that a person who keeps the commandments of God including the Sabbath has not entered into God's rest. Such statements are contrary to the Word, particularly with the words and example of Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:5-11 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 5And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

We may disagree on these issues, but I hope that we all strive to take God at his Word.

Revelation 14:12 - Here is the patience of the saints; here are those[a] who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Take Care.

divya

Foxy,

Thank you for this thread. I respect your position, even though I may disagree. Your zeal to follow Jesus is inspiring to me and surely to others on the board.

May God richly bless you in your walk.

:bighug:

PaperClip

Foxy,

Thank you for this thread. I respect your position, even though I may disagree. Your zeal to follow Jesus is inspiring to me and surely to others on the board.

May God richly bless you in your walk.

:bighug:

Thank you for this and I wanted to thank you especially for your balanced approach in this conversation. I had no hidden agendas in starting this thread but a sincere curiosity. Your posts have given me food for thought and I am processing/digesting all of it as I seek the Lord for His guidance on how to walk this out.

Again, thank you!

discobiscuits

Thanks divya.

Let me add for everyone, I'm not agreeing w/ any of the "resources" that I posted. They were for various views on the topic.

Divya, getting back to ur post. I decided sometime last year when one of my bffs told me just do or follow what Jesus did & u can't go wrong. (We were discussing one of the threads on this forum + Paul & how every word of the bible being or not being God's words).

Jesus established the sabbath at creation, observed it in human form and taught the spirit of the law in various contexts that all ended in the same result. That result is what u posted the two commandments on which hang...
I see thise same convo that u two r going back & forth about in the Christian church all the time. Even my church has taught that Jesus' acts began a "new" thing.

I've even been taught, from religious and non-religious sources that sunday means Son's day meaning Jesus' or the Lord's day.

Based on what I learned in school and in church, the seventh day of the week is and has been for centuries saturday. The 7th day is the sabbath day. Therefore saturday and sabbath day r the same day.

Look @ that one post of mine where the guy says his church teaches and observes sat as the sabbath and they have a worship service on sunday evening - when Jesus was resurrected.

I still think that it is ok w/ God to observe any one day as the sabbath to keep the spirit of the law which is what taught. And that we must keep the sabbath b/c that law has not passed again what Jesus taught.

Thoughts?