Honoring the Sabbath New Testament Style (seeking insight)

PaperClip

It's been on my heart to explore honoring the sabbath in a more demonstrative and disciplined way.

I am acquainted with a couple of Seventh-Day Adventists from school and also being aware of the Jewish honoring of the sabbath as well and I appreciate the fellowship with other believers and the discipline to focus attention on the things of God.

I'm curious as to how I may begin to approach honoring the sabbath as informed by New Testament teachings.

Disclaimer: I do not start this thread to be combative. I am thinking out loud and should I probe further into the content of the post, it is not to be argumentative but to explore for understanding and insight.

I thank you in advance for your time and attention to my inquiry.

discobiscuits

I think I may have the same inquiry as you to an extent.

We can look at this historically and go with the observance being changed over the years b/c of pagan days (to either coincide with to get the pagans to observe Christ or to disassociate w/ pagan days) it depends on who tells it.

We can look at it from the perspective that they teach Christians that Jesus rose on a Sunday and by doing so he "started a new thing". But this would contradict the fact that Jesus was a practicing or observant Jew and he observed all the Jewish rules including the Sabbath (Shabbat). But He healed on the Sabbath which was out of lawful order. So again, establishing a "new thing". (Quotes b/c I've heard this from various pastors).

We could look at it from that passage that says this could be a disputable matter Romans 14:5 specifically, and that each person needs to be convinced in his or her own mind.

We could look at the OT where there are some laws where God said that we must observe unto the end of the age (not sure what they are).

I used to just say as long as one observes any day as a Sabbath day but the commandment is two fold: observe AND keep it holy (or "remember the sabbath BY keeping it holy"). So then we must not only decide which day is the sabbath but determine what is meant by keep it holy.

The bible generally considered sundown Friday to sundown Saturday as the sabbath.

Mark 2:23-27
Lord of the Sabbath
23One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads of grain. 24The Pharisees said to him, "Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?"

25He answered, "Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? 26In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions."

27Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath."
Isaiah 58:13-14 (New International Version)

13 "If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
and the LORD's holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,

14 then you will find your joy in the LORD,
and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob."
The mouth of the LORD has spoken.

Something I found (still assimilating):
http://www.sabbathtruth.com/keeping_it_holy.asp

Hmmmm, people chime in and let us reason together. :yep: Thanks, FS.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

When you find out what you should or should not do on christian sabbath, please post it. Difficult to find good references on what christian do - not Jews...I tried. Concerning the post mentioning what Jesus did in the field, His example was about David and companions as they were hungry. Perhaps they did it to preserve their lives. Saving a life and performing an act normally forbidden on the Sabbath is permissible. Maybe the example was to point that out as the higher act. Jesus was an observant Jew, totally. He never changed the Law.

topsyturvy86

PaperClip

I think I may have the same inquiry as you to an extent.

We can look at this historically and go with the observance being changed over the years b/c of pagan days (to either coincide with to get the pagans to observe Christ or to disassociate w/ pagan days) it depends on who tells it.

We can look at it from the perspective that they teach Christians that Jesus rose on a Sunday and by doing so he "started a new thing". But this would contradict the fact that Jesus was a practicing or observant Jew and he observed all the Jewish rules including the Sabbath (Shabbat). But He healed on the Sabbath which was out of lawful order. So again, establishing a "new thing". (Quotes b/c I've heard this from various pastors).

We could look at it from that passage that says this could be a disputable matter Romans 14:5 specifically, and that each person needs to be convinced in his or her own mind.

We could look at the OT where there are some laws where God said that we must observe unto the end of the age (not sure what they are).

I used to just say as long as one observes any day as a Sabbath day but the commandment is two fold: observe AND keep it holy (or "remember the sabbath BY keeping it holy"). So then we must not only decide which day is the sabbath but determine what is meant by keep it holy.

The bible generally considered sundown Friday to sundown Saturday as the sabbath.

Something I found (still assimilating):
http://www.sabbathtruth.com/keeping_it_holy.asp

Hmmmm, people chime in and let us reason together. :yep: Thanks, FS.

And thank you, 1Star
:yep: for this rich, rich food for thought....

divya

SDA's honor the Sabbath according to the Old and New Testament, particularly as Jesus Christ did. Just to clarify for any one.

ETA: My apologies. I believe I misunderstood the thread. That's exactly what I get for speed reading. Sorry about that.

Last edited:

PaperClip

SDA's honor the Sabbath according to the Old and New Testament, particularly as Jesus Christ did. Just to clarify for any one. Alright, I'm out...

My apologies if my post implied that SDAs did not observe the Sabbath beyond the New, Old, or other Testaments.

I'd like to understand the balance/link of Sabbath observance from/between both testaments.

What I've observed is that for both SDAs and Jews, the Sabbath observance is so ingrained in the CULTURE of these faiths; this is not necessarily the case with contemporary Protestant/Pentecostal Christianity. There may be pockets of these Protestant/Pentecostal Christian families/churches/groups that have an actual observance but in my upbringing and adulthood and church attendance, there has not ever been that practice of the actual 24-hour ritual of observing the Sabbath....

So even as I would like to start an actual Sabbath observance, I may be doing this by myself unless/until I can persuade others to join me. That's another reason that I'd like deeper understanding about Sabbath observance.

divya

T.D. Jakes preached an amazing message on the Sabbath from the New Testament. I think you might find it interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtqXAeIrt3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gjfemrmi690&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_pdAAZePo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_pdAAZePo&feature=related

I'm in a hurry and can't type long but I agree with the message but also as a personal choice, keep my Sunday's Holy and restful.

Here are sermons in response to T.D. Jakes message. T.D. Jakes did not give much Scriptural support for his message. He talks about worshiping God on Sunday and everyday, which is correct. However, he does not realize that keeping the Sabbath is far more than worshiping at church. One must understand the concept of keeping the Sabbath holy.

So here are the sermons regarding God's Sabbath, with lots Scriptural bases.

http://www.cpcsda.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=25149

There are two that are most helpful.

Henry Wright - Keep the Sabbath Holy- 1/05/2008
Henry Wright - The Sabbath in the New Testament- 1/12/2008.

The entire series is helpful, however.

Last edited:

divya

My apologies if my post implied that SDAs did not observe the Sabbath beyond the New, Old, or other Testaments.

I'd like to understand the balance/link of Sabbath observance from/between both testaments.

What I've observed is that for both SDAs and Jews, the Sabbath observance is so ingrained in the CULTURE of these faiths; this is not necessarily the case with contemporary Protestant/Pentecostal Christianity. There may be pockets of these Protestant/Pentecostal Christian families/churches/groups that have an actual observance but in my upbringing and adulthood and church attendance, there has not ever been that practice of the actual 24-hour ritual of observing the Sabbath....

So even as I would like to start an actual Sabbath observance, I may be doing this by myself unless/until I can persuade others to join me. That's another reason that I'd like deeper understanding about Sabbath observance.

Thanks for the clarification and I understand the distinctions that you see. There is thread that Sabbath keepers here have posted about how to keep the Sabbath holy. Christian Sabbatarians likely keep Sabbath differently from most Jews, with the exception of Messianic Jews (who are Christian). However, you may find the thread helpful as far as activities and such. I'll find it and bump it. :)

discobiscuits

In essence the sabbath is observed sundown to sundown fri - sat. On our calendar sat is the 7th day. Sabbath is supposed to mean 7th and shabbat is supposed to mean rest (I think not sure). As far as I'm concerned if we humans want to be technical then Christians should be observing that as the shabbat. I don think that there is any instruction as to what day one is required to observe or practice collective worship (aka church service) I think that ppl worship on sunday which was chosen 1 to not coincide w/ the pagan saturn's day (aka saturday) and also bc it is believed that jesus rose on the 3rd day which is said to be a sunday.

My opinion is the shabbat is. Saturday.

topsyturvy86

Here are sermons in response to T.D. Jakes message. T.D. Jakes did not give much Scriptural support for his message. He talks about worshiping God on Sunday and everyday, which is correct. However, he does not realize that keeping the Sabbath is far more than worshiping at church. One must understand the concept of keeping the Sabbath holy.

So here are the sermons regarding God's Sabbath, with lots Scriptural bases.

http://www.cpcsda.org/pages/page.asp?page_id=25149

There are two that are most helpful.

Henry Wright - Keep the Sabbath Holy- 1/05/2008
Henry Wright - The Sabbath in the New Testament- 1/12/2008.

The entire series is helpful, however.

That was where he started, yes. But I think you should watch the whole thing and see where he ended up.

divya

That was where he started, yes. But I think you should watch the whole thing and see where he ended up.

Yes, I watched the video in its entirety a while back and actually made a thread about it here. He, like the majority of people, are likely very sincere in their beliefs on the issue. However, I do still strongly disagree with his ending, as it is not in accordance with Scripture.

PaperClip

Chiming into say that I appreciate the links and references and I will go through them when I can give my full attention to them....

I know this topic has been discussed here several times over.... I wanted a "fresh", unbiased approach to the topic at this point in time....

divya

In essence the sabbath is observed sundown to sundown fri - sat. On our calendar sat is the 7th day. Sabbath is supposed to mean 7th and shabbat is supposed to mean rest (I think not sure). As far as I'm concerned if we humans want to be technical then Christians should be observing that as the shabbat. I don think that there is any instruction as to what day one is required to observe or practice collective worship (aka church service) I think that ppl worship on sunday which was chosen 1 to not coincide w/ the pagan saturn's day (aka saturday) and also bc it is believed that jesus rose on the 3rd day which is said to be a sunday.

My opinion is the shabbat is. Saturday.

We should observe Sabbath/Shabbat as it is the seventh day. It was instituted at Creation (Genesis 2:3), long before the first Jew, and long before pagan originated weekly day names that we used now. However, Sunday worship came in with the mixture of pagan worship of the sun god Mithra and Roman Catholicism. The latter made the decision to compel Christians to worship on the same day as sun god worshipers in exchange for power. Many people may not realize this is the case, but Roman Catholic clergy have acknowledge Sunday worship as their institution, rather than God's institution. However, we can see that where the Roman empire could not completely reach, the true Sabbath keeping was maintained, see Ethiopia. In Ghana, there is also evidence of regard for the seventh day as God's day among the Akan.

Yes, it is true that many Christians worship on the 3rd day because of Christ's resurrection. However, the Scriptures state in Romans 6 that baptism is the action we take to commemorate Jesus' death and resurrection.

divya

Chiming into say that I appreciate the links and references and I will go through them when I can give my full attention to them....

I know this topic has been discussed here several times over.... I wanted a "fresh", unbiased approach to the topic at this point in time....

As you study, let me know if you have any questions. I'll be glad to point to Scriptures alone without giving any personal input. I also realize that your intent in the initial post may have been different from my responses, as well as others. My apologies if I moved in an undesired direction. If you'd like any info on Sabbath keeping practices, such as preparation before, activities during etc., feel free to ask as well. Take care and God Bless.

Last edited:

PaperClip

Ok... so what I read you all saying here is this: culture and religious institutional influence (as interpreted from scripture) has played a HUGE part in shaping the practice of Shabbat/Sabbath on both sides (those who practice the 24-hour ritual and those who do not/do other things to honor the Sabbath).

So it seems from scripture that the Lord God does not completely invade and eradicate existing culture to establish His ways of healthy living (I'm thinking about the Israelites and how the Lord changed and tweaked things without completely erasing the Israelite rituals and practices).

So I'm thinking out loud about what Sabbath honoring sincerely looks like for me...from my cultural vantage point. There are some OT practices that are no longer necessary, other practices that are permissible, other practices that are required....

Ultimately I know that I have to place this question before the Lord and He will lead and guide me in the way that pleases Him....

divya

Ok... so what I read you all saying here is this: culture and religious institutional influence (as interpreted from scripture) has played a HUGE part in shaping the practice of Shabbat/Sabbath on both sides (those who practice the 24-hour ritual and those who do not/do other things to honor the Sabbath).

So it seems from scripture that the Lord God does not completely invade and eradicate existing culture to establish His ways of healthy living (I'm thinking about the Israelites and how the Lord changed and tweaked things without completely erasing the Israelite rituals and practices).

So I'm thinking out loud about what Sabbath honoring sincerely looks like for me...from my cultural vantage point. There are some OT practices that are no longer necessary, other practices that are permissible, other practices that are required....

Ultimately I know that I have to place this question before the Lord and He will lead and guide me in the way that pleases Him....

Jesus' example in the New Testament is a great place to start when it comes to Sabbath. For example, He would do good deeds for others on the Sabbath, such as healing, but the Pharisees and others would criticize Him and say that He was "working." He then told them "Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace" Mark 3:4. So as Christians, we understand we ought to understanding the things that pleasing to Jesus on Sabbath and focused on Him.

Of course we keep in mind Exodus 20:8-11, to ensure that we our minds are always stayed on Him during that period of time, rather than on worldly cares. But as far as permissible practices, feeding the homeless, witnessing, spending time in nature etc. would likely be in the spirit of Sabbath keeping, when we look at the things Jesus did. This may not be OT v. NT but certainly a difference that Jesus set out as far as Sabbath-keeping.

As far as OT v. NT, I think that people differ in understanding what was nailed to the cross when it comes to ordinances given to Moses, the Ten Commandments etc., which of course affects Sabbath keeping. And of course, what the role of baptism is...

PaperClip

So a few years back I browsed this book at the library which prompted me to inquire about honoring the Sabbath... but I did not pursue a full-blown study into it but it has been on my heart since then:

Sabbath keeping: finding freedom in the rhythms of rest (2005)
By Baab, Lynne M.

Seems like I recall this book saying that it was less about the day of the Sabbath and more of honoring the principle of the Sabbath: to take the time to specifically reflect on the Lord and rest for a designated amount of time, e.g., 12 or 24 hours.

I just noticed this new book at the library so I'm going to check it out as well:

A day apart : how Jews, Christians, and Muslims find faith, freedom, and joy on the Sabbath (2007)
by Ringwald, Christopher D.

Here's the library's description:

The Sabbath is the original feast day, a day of joy and freedom from work, a holy day that allows us to reconnect with God, our fellows and nature. Now, in a compelling blend of journalism, scholarship and personal memoir, Christopher D. Ringwald examines the Sabbath from Creation to the present, weaving together the stories of three families, three religions and three thousand years of history. A Day Apart is the first book to examine the Sabbath in Judaism, Christianity and Islam. A marvelously readable book, it offers a fascinating portrait of the basics of the three Sabbaths--the Muslim Juma on Friday, the Jewish Shabbat on Saturday and the Christian Lord's Day on Sunday--and introducesus to three families, including Ringwald's own, and shows how they observe the holy day and what it means to them. The heart of the book recounts the history of the Sabbath, ranging from the Creation story and Moses on Mount Sinai, to the teachings of Jesus and Muhammad, the impact of the Protestant Reformation and the Industrial Revolution, and the rise of the modern weekend. Ringwald shows that the Sabbath instinct, to observe a special day of withdrawal and repose, is universal. Indeed, all religions and philosophies teach that life is more than toil, that time should be set aside for contemplation, enjoyment and culture.

divya

These sound like great books. Thank you for sharing. I'm going to look for those in my area library as well. :yep:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I think you need to find out what you will and will not be doing for the Sabbath and when it will start, sundown to sundown or another timeframe? If you do choose to do as Jesus did, as someone said, then there will be very strict rules and if you apply that to today's society, you might as well follow the strict guidelines of Jewish Sabbath... Chabad.org will give much insight on the Sabbath.

Non-Jewish Christians are not obligated to observe the Jewish Sabbath and according to orthodoxy, it would be "forbidden." Obviously, there will be some reading this thinking, "what an oxymoron." I know.

Forgive my intrusion into your thread but I'm just wondering what it is you wish to accomplish? Reading, praying, spending time with family? Are you going to walk to services and leave your money and purse at home? No shopping whatsoever? Not carry anything during the Sabbath? Light no matches, turn on no lights or leave them on prior to and all during? Are you going to say the bruchot or the blessings welcoming in the Sabbath? Is there a christian one? Who's going to conclude with Havdalah service? Need a male for that.

When people compare Judaism to it...it's not an easy task and it's for the Jew. That's why I asked about a particular christian one. You can't exactly look to Judaism to give you the proper example although that's where it's coming from. It's a totally different thing. Are you willing to cook a slow meal on low heat before the initiation of the Sabbath and keep it warmed, not touching the stove to not ignite a flame or spark? Not use the car? No internet nor television? We used to observe Shabbat but no longer. Who is going to bake the challah and say the blessing over it? I love challah (braided egg bread, esp. ones made withbutter and raisins)!. I do feel guilty somewhat but we'll get back around to it one day. It's a long and arduous process to observe correctly. See what I mean? What exactly will the Sabbath mean to a christian? Time for rest...how to structure that? I think that might be your key.

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Doggonit FoxxyScholar, you're giving me nachas for Shabbat! I so miss it. I used to get home before sundown, have the meal prepared prior to...we'd clean up, say the blessings, just have a guten Shabbas. But I'd drive to shul in a minute. Anyhoo...a guideline that you could tweak for christianity. Good luck in your model...maybe pass it one to others and it might catch on. I do know that catholics used to honor Sunday Sabbath quite religiously...I don't exacty know how, though.

a) Leave work early Friday afternoon so you have time to prepare for Shabbat at home.

b) Clean the home in honor of the Shabbat queen.

c) Cook the Shabbat meals well in advance of Shabbat. Set up the blech that will keep the food warm for the Shabbat meals.

d) Set the Shabbat dinner table with: Candles and candlesticks, two whole loaves of challah placed on a tray and covered with a cloth, a cup or goblet and wine for kiddush; and the fanciest tableware you own.

e) Bathe or shower and dress in formal attire

f) Light Shabbat candles 18 minutes before sunset. Click here for the exact time in your location.

g) From this point until Shabbat's end (step v) refrain from all "work" as defined by the laws of Shabbat.

h) Pray the special Shabbat evening service (preferably in your synagogue) including the L'cha Dodi song -- "Come, my beloved, to greet the bride, let us receive the presence of the Shabbat..."

i) Gather around the dinner table and sing Shalom Aleichem (welcome to the Shabbat angels). Then sing "A Woman of Valor" (Proverbs 31) composed by King Solomon as a tribute to the Jewish woman.

j) Pour a cup of kosher wine or grape juice into a special goblet and recite the Kiddush that proclaims the sanctity of the Shabbat.

k) Go to the kitchen sink and do the washing-the-hands ritual done before eating bread: fill a large cup with water and pour water onto each of your hands three times and recite the appropriate blessing.

l) Return to the table, recite the blessing over the challah, slice it up, dip it in salt, eat some and pass around challah slices to everyone.

m) Serve the Shabbat meal. The traditional Friday night menu includes gefilte fish (or some other kind of fish) chicken soup with matzo balls or noodles, a chicken or meat entree with side dishes (traditional choices are kugel and tzimmes), and desert.

n) Between courses, sing the traditional shabbat songs (zemirot) and discuss Parshah (Torah reading) of the week and its relevance. Printing the Chabad.org Parshah PDF before Shabbat will give you much fodder for conversation. At the meal's end, recite the Grace after Meals.

o) If its not too late, now's the perfect time for some quality time with family and/or friends, to do some Torah learning or read a Jewish book.

p) Go to sleep and enjoy the unique pleasure of Shabbat rest.

q) In the morning, walk to shul (don’t bike/blade/drive) for the morning services and the Torah reading. (If you're lucky, there'll be a kiddush buffet after services!)

r) Return home and sit down to a Shabbat meal. The daytime meal follows the same basic structure as yesterday evening's -- kiddush (the daytime version), ritual washing, blessing on two challah loaves, delicious food. Traditional foods for the daytime meal include egg salad with onions and the mythical Shabbat cholent -- a slow-cooking stew that sits on a small covered flame from before Shabbat. Don't forget the singing, stimulating discussion and Grace after Meals.

s) Shabbat afternoon naps are delicious; reserve some time also to do some learning and reading, or to attend a Torah class (if there's one within walking distance).

t) Later in the afternoon, recite the minchah afternoon prayers; in the summer, this is followed with the study of a chapter from Ethics of the Fathers.

u) Eat the Third Meal, a light repast served between minchah and maariv.

v) Approximately an hour after sundown, after it gets dark, Shabbat is over. Click here for the exact time in your location. Recite the evening prayers.

w) Now it's time for Havdalah, the separation ritual performed with an overflowing cup of wine, spice box and braided candle.

x) There's one more meal: Melaveh Malkah ("Farewell to the Queen"), a light meal accompanied with songs about Elijah the Prophet and stories about the righteous.

y) Re-enter the work-week revitalized with the spiritual energy and vision gained from Shabbat.

z) Repeat next week.

PaperClip

I think you need to find out what you will and will not be doing for the Sabbath and when it will start, sundown to sundown or another timeframe? If you do choose to do as Jesus did, as someone said, then there will be very strict rules and if you apply that to today's society, you might as well follow the strict guidelines of Jewish Sabbath... Chabad.org will give much insight on the Sabbath.

Non-Jewish Christians are not obligated to observe the Jewish Sabbath and according to orthodoxy, it would be "forbidden." Obviously, there will be some reading this thinking, "what an oxymoron." I know.

Forgive my intrusion into your thread but I'm just wondering what it is you wish to accomplish? Reading, praying, spending time with family? Are you going to walk to services and leave your money and purse at home? No shopping whatsoever? Not carry anything during the Sabbath? Light no matches, turn on no lights or leave them on prior to and all during? Are you going to say the bruchot or the blessings welcoming in the Sabbath? Is there a christian one? Who's going to conclude with Havdalah service? Need a male for that.

When people compare Judaism to it...it's not an easy task and it's for the Jew. That's why I asked about a particular christian one. You can't exactly look to Judaism to give you the proper example although that's where it's coming from. It's a totally different thing. Are you willing to cook a slow meal on low heat before the initiation of the Sabbath and keep it warmed, not touching the stove to not ignite a flame or spark? Not use the car? No internet nor television? We used to observe Shabbat but no longer. Who is going to bake the challah and say the blessing over it? I love challah (braided egg bread, esp. ones made withbutter and raisins)!. I do feel guilty somewhat but we'll get back around to it one day. It's a long and arduous process to observe correctly. See what I mean? What exactly will the Sabbath mean to a christian? Time for rest...how to structure that? I think that might be your key.

Whewwww!!! That's food for thought!
Great questions for me to ponder.... what I sense initially is that I would want to deliberately rest and meditate and avoid TV/internet for a designated time....

And this is something I could do on my own as well as become a family tradition.

discobiscuits

We should observe Sabbath/Shabbat as it is the seventh day. It was instituted at Creation (Genesis 2:3), long before the first Jew, and long before pagan originated weekly day names that we used now. However, Sunday worship came in with the mixture of pagan worship of the sun god Mithra and Roman Catholicism. The latter made the decision to compel Christians to worship on the same day as sun god worshipers in exchange for power. Many people may not realize this is the case, but Roman Catholic clergy have acknowledge Sunday worship as their institution, rather than God's institution. However, we can see that where the Roman empire could not completely reach, the true Sabbath keeping was maintained, see Ethiopia. In Ghana, there is also evidence of regard for the seventh day as God's day among the Akan.

Yes, it is true that many Christians worship on the 3rd day because of Christ's resurrection. However, the Scriptures state in Romans 6 that baptism is the action we take to commemorate Jesus' death and resurrection.

ummm ooooookaaaay. so what day is the 7th day?

divya

ummm ooooookaaaay. so what day is the 7th day?

I was agreeing with you, just adding some extra info. But to answer your question, numerous studies have shown that the weekly cycle has not changed. Ultimately though, God just expects us to do our very best. If this is what we know and we are searching, God understands it as the light the we have.

divya

Doggonit FoxxyScholar, you're giving me nachas for Shabbat! I so miss it. I used to get home before sundown, have the meal prepared prior to...we'd clean up, say the blessings, just have a guten Shabbas. But I'd drive to shul in a minute. Anyhoo...a guideline that you could tweak for christianity. Good luck in your model...maybe pass it one to others and it might catch on. I do know that catholics used to honor Sunday Sabbath quite religiously...I don't exacty know how, though.

a) Leave work early Friday afternoon so you have time to prepare for Shabbat at home.

b) Clean the home in honor of the Shabbat queen.

c) Cook the Shabbat meals well in advance of Shabbat. Set up the blech that will keep the food warm for the Shabbat meals.

d) Set the Shabbat dinner table with: Candles and candlesticks, two whole loaves of challah placed on a tray and covered with a cloth, a cup or goblet and wine for kiddush; and the fanciest tableware you own.

e) Bathe or shower and dress in formal attire

f) Light Shabbat candles 18 minutes before sunset. Click here for the exact time in your location.

g) From this point until Shabbat's end (step v) refrain from all "work" as defined by the laws of Shabbat.

h) Pray the special Shabbat evening service (preferably in your synagogue) including the L'cha Dodi song -- "Come, my beloved, to greet the bride, let us receive the presence of the Shabbat..."

i) Gather around the dinner table and sing Shalom Aleichem (welcome to the Shabbat angels). Then sing "A Woman of Valor" (Proverbs 31) composed by King Solomon as a tribute to the Jewish woman.

j) Pour a cup of kosher wine or grape juice into a special goblet and recite the Kiddush that proclaims the sanctity of the Shabbat.

k) Go to the kitchen sink and do the washing-the-hands ritual done before eating bread: fill a large cup with water and pour water onto each of your hands three times and recite the appropriate blessing.

l) Return to the table, recite the blessing over the challah, slice it up, dip it in salt, eat some and pass around challah slices to everyone.

m) Serve the Shabbat meal. The traditional Friday night menu includes gefilte fish (or some other kind of fish) chicken soup with matzo balls or noodles, a chicken or meat entree with side dishes (traditional choices are kugel and tzimmes), and desert.

n) Between courses, sing the traditional shabbat songs (zemirot) and discuss Parshah (Torah reading) of the week and its relevance. Printing the Chabad.org Parshah PDF before Shabbat will give you much fodder for conversation. At the meal's end, recite the Grace after Meals.

o) If its not too late, now's the perfect time for some quality time with family and/or friends, to do some Torah learning or read a Jewish book.

p) Go to sleep and enjoy the unique pleasure of Shabbat rest.

q) In the morning, walk to shul (don’t bike/blade/drive) for the morning services and the Torah reading. (If you're lucky, there'll be a kiddush buffet after services!)

r) Return home and sit down to a Shabbat meal. The daytime meal follows the same basic structure as yesterday evening's -- kiddush (the daytime version), ritual washing, blessing on two challah loaves, delicious food. Traditional foods for the daytime meal include egg salad with onions and the mythical Shabbat cholent -- a slow-cooking stew that sits on a small covered flame from before Shabbat. Don't forget the singing, stimulating discussion and Grace after Meals.

s) Shabbat afternoon naps are delicious; reserve some time also to do some learning and reading, or to attend a Torah class (if there's one within walking distance).

t) Later in the afternoon, recite the minchah afternoon prayers; in the summer, this is followed with the study of a chapter from Ethics of the Fathers.

u) Eat the Third Meal, a light repast served between minchah and maariv.

v) Approximately an hour after sundown, after it gets dark, Shabbat is over. Click here for the exact time in your location. Recite the evening prayers.

w) Now it's time for Havdalah, the separation ritual performed with an overflowing cup of wine, spice box and braided candle.

x) There's one more meal: Melaveh Malkah ("Farewell to the Queen"), a light meal accompanied with songs about Elijah the Prophet and stories about the righteous.

y) Re-enter the work-week revitalized with the spiritual energy and vision gained from Shabbat.

z) Repeat next week.

This is beautiful. I especially love the lyrics of the song "greet the bride," and that you worship during the Shabbat meal. That's different and maybe something I will implement.

And Shabbat naps are definitely the best! Thank you for sharing!

divya

I'll share as well, from a SDA Christian perspective. It would be nice if we had some Seventh Day Church of God members and others too.

1. Leave work early enough on Friday to prepare for Sabbath. For example, if you work for the General Conference of SDAs, the workday ends at 12:00pm in the afternoon.

2. Run all your errands and such beforehand. Clean your home, and cook your meal for the evening and Saturday. You are preparing for the King. :yep:

3. Eat dinner.

4. At sundown, open the Sabbath. If you would prefer to do so at church, some churches have Vespers to bring in the Sabbath. At home, the family comes together and begins in song. Often, people open with a special Sabbath song such as "Don't Forget the Sabbath."

5. Reading and discussion of the Scriptures is next.

6. Closing prayer.

7. Read and study on your own, if it is still early.

8. Sleep.

9. Sabbath morning, we pray, eat and head to church service (Sabbath school and Divine Service)

10. After church service, there are quite a few options. We may stay for lunch and a particular ministry in which we are involved. We may go home, eat and take that great Sabbath nap that GV spoke about. We may go to the park and enjoy nature etc. Of course, have Bible study etc.

11. To close the Sabbath, we may return to church (or stay if already there) for Adventist Youth Society. It's for "youth" from birth to 99. :) We close the Sabbath similar to how we opened it. Songs first (especially like "Day is Dying in the West"), study follows and then prayer.

12. Also, there is a sunset calendar for wherever you live. http://www.adventist.org/sun/

discobiscuits

I was agreeing with you, just adding some extra info.

Sorry. Sometimes I can be a little s.l.o.w.

Ultimately though, God just expects us to do our very best. If this is what we know and we are searching, God understands it as the light the we have.

That is what I think and believe as well.

The following is not related to the above qoute.

I am in no way putting down or disparaging those who have rituals or practices for sabbath. I just can't see me doing even close to that - too much work. It also reminds me of bondage to the law and how we are free of it. I don't think we have to do anything to observe the sabbath other than set it aside for rest, not even worship or fellowship with others but rest. That's what God did rested & rituals are work. Again just saying it would not work for me.

That is one of the things that bothers me about ppl chastising others if they don't attend church service esp on Sunday. The bible does not teach that we must congregate on sunday or any day. It teaches to fellowship (aka socialize) with fellow believers. We can do that at any time any day. Kinda like communion. There is no set day, time or ritual for communion just to do it in His rememberance however often we do have communion. We just do things as humans to emulate specific events in the bible with no specific instruction to do so.

Sorry. Tired I may have to clarify later I wanted to get my thoughts down b4 I forgot them.

divya

The following is not related to the above qoute.

I am in no way putting down or disparaging those who have rituals or practices for sabbath. I just can't see me doing even close to that - too much work. It also reminds me of bondage to the law and how we are free of it. I don't think we have to do anything to observe the sabbath other than set it aside for rest, not even worship or fellowship with others but rest. That's what God did rested & rituals are work. Again just saying it would not work for me.

That is one of the things that bothers me about ppl chastising others if they don't attend church service esp on Sunday. The bible does not teach that we must congregate on sunday or any day. It teaches to fellowship (aka socialize) with fellow believers. We can do that at any time any day. Kinda like communion. There is no set day, time or ritual for communion just to do it in His rememberance however often we do have communion. We just do things as humans to emulate specific events in the bible with no specific instruction to do so.

Sorry. Tired I may have to clarify later I wanted to get my thoughts down b4 I forgot them.

I can understand the spirit in which your comments are written. I suppose it depends on how understands perceives keeping the Sabbath. It's probably a matter of personal beliefs. For me, keeping the Sabbath is commandment, so it can be broken like any of the others. Jesus Himself said "If ye love me, keep my commandments." [John 14:15]. For that reason, there are certain activities that really help us keep our minds fixed on God throughout the Sabbath. So are there things that we share with each other, as ideas for how to keep the Sabbath a holy time, one set apart from all others for resting our minds on Christ.

Jesus, for example, made a habit of going to the synagogue, healing the sick etc. That being said, I personally would not label His actions are bondage to the law or ritual, the same as I would not label any person's decisions to participate in certain activities that are appropriate for Sabbath. Those fall under keeping the Sabbath holy - setting it apart from other days, from worldly cares. It is the day that all that we do is focused on God.

Bondage of the law represents the belief that the law can save, when that is the role of Jesus Christ. If anyone thinks keeping the Sabbath can save, then that is being under the bondage of the law. Or if you that one must do certain activities on Sabbath to be save, that is certainly bondage. The Sabbath becomes ritualistic in that way. Just like if anyone thinks not committing adultery can save, that is being under the bondage of the law etc., when believing on Jesus Christ as our Savior is the only way.

Evidence of our belief in Him are the keeping of His commandments, including the Sabbath. Rev. 22:14 - Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Just a different perspective.

Last edited: