Does hair make a woman prettier?

darkangel25

I think for the most part, yes, longer hair does make someone "appear" to be more beautiful. I think it definitely makes us look more feminine and therefore sexier.

Shine-On

queenbee8687 said:
I think it's just hair in general it's a beautiful thing to have, when it's thick and healthy. Being long is just an added bonus. That's why women in the Islamic culture (Muslims) wear a scarfs, it is also written in the Bible a woman's hair is her crown??, because it has been known that the hair is the woman's source of beauty. When hair is covered/cut/restyled the change in the face of the woman is almost magical.

I agree (in the context of pretty=attractiveness). This doesn't mean that women with short hair aren't beautiful/attractive but there is definitely a noticeable increase in other people's attraction and reaction to long flowing hair whether locs, twists, relaxed or natural.

My hair is short and I feel beautiful and I receive compliments like any other woman on the street . . . but let me wear a weave or some braids for an instand growth spurt :eek: = positive and negative attention out the woodwork. Most of it is unwanted and being without it doesn't bother me one bit.

I do feel like I need more accessories with my shorter hair though. :ohwell: Also, long healthy hair can just be there and be pretty. Short hair looks pretty but in most cases there is so much more effort as far as style and cut is concerned.

Last edited:

curlilocs

Take Halle Berry for an example. She's an obviously beautiful woman, that even if she were bald headed it wouldn't take away from her attractiveness. So, imo, hair, and I'm assuming by this you mean the length of it, does not make a woman prettier.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
IMO...sometimes. T-Boz from TLC looks better with shorter hair than long. Lisa Bonet looks better with shorter hair than long.

Shawn

Yes. IMHO, all women (including Halle Barry) look prettier with long hair. That being said, a woman with incredibly beautiful/striking facial features (like Halle Barry) can pull off shorter hair, and it draws attention specifically to these striking features in their purest sense--which is why I'd venture to say some prefer Halle Barry with short hair. I agree that women were meant to have long hair, which is why long hair looks better. It has been a woman's crowning glory since the beginning of time.

dreysonsmommy2011

I don't think that longer hair makes a woman more beautiful. I rocked a cute short hair cut for years and I got so many compliments on my hair it was crazy. I think that as long as your hair is fixed to compliment you (and not looking like a hot mess) that is what makes a woman pretty. For example some say that Halle Berry looks better with shorter hair, but to me she looks great no matter what length she chooses and so do I;) :p :)

Belle Du Jour

I think it comes down to confidence. If a woman is wearing a hairdo that she doesn't like or believe makes her irresistable and sexy, then of course she's not going to come off as beautiful and interesting. I hever felt sexier than when my hair was jet black and short. It was always done and I got a lot of love from men--black, white, hispanic, etc. My own personal experience with natural hair has been that I don't get the same love unless I do a straight style i.e. rollerset. I feel that it more has to do with my confidence rather than the actual hairstyle. How many beautiful naturals do we have on this board?

Of course that's only one part of it. Beauty is very subjective.

RabiaElaine

KhandiB said:
some not all ...
personally I think Halle Berry and Nia Long look better with shorter hair than long hair, I think the long hair makes Halle look way more average looking than her short hair, she looked fierce then :)

I agree some not all. I think I look prettier naturally with longer hair. When I wore my hair in a short cut, I would wear more make up, Now that I have longer hair (and even longer hair via my weave :D ), I wear less make up. I think I look more exotic with longer hair.

I've also found since I put in my weave, I find more white guys checking me out.

Syrah

Confidence is what makes a woman pretty - when they exude it you pay attention more.

Most women feel more comfortable with a) Long hair and b) with their hair out. Is that necessarily a good thing?! Nah...cuz if your self-esteem is tied to your hair style and hair length - it's volatile, ya know?

sxyhairfetish

MsNadi said:
Confidence is what makes a woman pretty - when they exude it you pay attention more.

Most women feel more comfortable with a) Long hair and b) with their hair out. Is that necessarily a good thing?! Nah...cuz if your self-esteem is tied to your hair style and hair length - it's volatile, ya know?

This is true. I used to always have shoulder length hair, guys loved it (especially those arab guys in the store). When I cut it shorter like a halle berry cut, those same arab guys acted like they didnt even know me anymore lol Now that I grew my hair back I get the same attention I had before again?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Caramela

I think length enhances a womans beauty, but it doesn't make her beautiful :nono: If you are ugly... your hair might be long enough to drag the ground, but the fact of the matter is you're still... well, ugly:look: Now, if you're average or borderline... long hair might be the thing to push you over to that she's-almost-pretty-if-you-don't-look-too-hard status.
But if you're pretty, I think you're pretty regarless of the length of your hair and if it just so happens to be long... that's icing on the cake :lick: ;)

miracle

classimami713 said:
I think it comes down to confidence. If a woman is wearing a hairdo that she doesn't like or believe makes her irresistable and sexy, then of course she's not going to come off as beautiful and interesting. I hever felt sexier than when my hair was jet black and short. It was always done and I got a lot of love from men--black, white, hispanic, etc. My own personal experience with natural hair has been that I don't get the same love unless I do a straight style i.e. rollerset. I feel that it more has to do with my confidence rather than the actual hairstyle. How many beautiful naturals do we have on this board?

Of course that's only one part of it. Beauty is very subjective.

I agree. I think confidence with any style is the key to looking/feeling beautiful, not necessarily length. Healthy hair, whether long or short, always grabs my attention.

blkbeauty

Beauty is very subjective. I think it all depends on the person, the bone structure, the features. For some, long hair can enhance. For others it takes away! In my opinion, I rather my hair to be m"medium length all because of my features. I think long hair merely takes away from my face.

At any event you can have the best hair for your face type, but if your skin ain't right then it can be hard to see any physical attractiveness whether it is hair features or bone structure. Skin IMHO is what makes a person more attractive.

But JIMHO.

Syrah

sxyhairfetish said:
This is true. I used to always have shoulder length hair, guys loved it (especially those arab guys in the store). When I cut it shorter like a halle berry cut, those same arab guys acted like they didnt even know me anymore lol Now that I grew my hair back I get the same attention I had before again?:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Exactly. Right before I big chopped, I cut my hair from bra-strap length to right below my ear...a blunt cut that hung just a TAD Bit longer in the front (not one of those salt-n-pepa cuts from the 80's...maybe 1/4" longer in the front) and wore my hair bone straight.

I got a TON of compliments on that cut - folks saying it was striking, made me look older (I'm 25 and look 17 on a good day) etc. And I think it had more to do with the fact that I LIKED THE CUT. I know I was struttin around the office, cuz I felt cute :)

Soleado

Tene said:
I don't feel long hair makes anyone more attractive. Long hair doesn't change the way a person looks in the face.

ITA! Long hair does not make anyone more attractive in my book.

Soleado

Ntrlmystik said:
I don't think so....I do think hair enhances the overall look the same way nice clothes, makeup and shoe do but long hair doesn't make any one prettier. Its like an accessory to me. If you have a long mess on your head versus a short hot do...then which one do u think is going to look better? Although some people may think long hair makes someone more attractive because its a preference but if you are not pretty to begin w/ (and that is only in the eye of the beholder) hair is not going to help that unless its covering your face ....Also some women look better w/ short hair...case in point Halle Berry...she looks more youthful w/ that pixie...she is looking older w/ long hair. Another one is my roomate...she is an elasta qp model. She's a pretty girl but she is stunning w/ a short cut. (She's the glaze girl) I know plenty more but no pics..If you are pretty short hair brings out your features and that may make you more attractive...I went to a predominately Black college where twice I cut my hair into pixie cut and grew it out past shoulder length. I got plenty of attention and play w/ the pixie ( And I looked extremely feminine w/o having "soft features")...and a whole other set of admireres w/ longer hair once in grew out...that taught me that there were guys that cared and guys that didn't...its like 50/50 to me unless hair is all that you have going on for you.

What she said!