Does becoming a christian change you overnight? Can it?

gone_fishing

I have a question for you.

Does getting "saved" change you overnight?

For example:

A man smokes weed for years and has a bit of an addiction and goes to church and gets "saved" and although he cuts down a bit he continues to smoke weed and all the while people who see him do this call him a hypocrite (in their minds) because smoking weed is not the christian thing to do.... - are they right?

V

Do you expect that because he got "saved" - that he would quit all those bad habits, addictions, etc. immediately?

Or

A young woman is having sex with her significant other and gets "saved" at church and they cut down on having sex but don't stop it completely on the day she got saved....but over time

v. Stopping all fornicating ASAP.

If you get "saved" and you don't stop those things right away - what do you think of that? How do you deal with that? Do you automatically assume a person is not a christian and are you right if you do? Are there really babies in christ vs. more mature christians?

Please someone explain and if I'm not being clear, please let me know.

PaperClip

Because I believe in MIRACLES and the SUPERNATURAL POWER OF THE LORD, I believe that there are certain things/habits that the Lord will BREAK OFF a person and they will NEVER look or gravitate back to that habit again.

Look at the Bible and the miracles of Jesus. Pick any one. Those people's lives were changed in an INSTANT.

Notice I said "certain" things, not everything. This Christian walk is a DAILY thing. Sometimes it's a second-by-second thing. Each second is a step of faith. That's what this walk of salvation is about. It's about a lifestyle, a way of living that must be acted out on a daily basis. And each person has to "work out their own salvation" (Philippians 2:12), with fear and trembling because each person has to answer to the Lord for his/her own actions. We don't condemn each other but we attend to each other sincerely, speaking the truth in love.

"Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend." (Proverbs 27:17)

gone_fishing

So we should then be more vigilent if we see someone making a mistake to not just assume they are "false christians" or hypocrites?

How can you tell the difference between a false christian and someone who is still on the early part of their journey?

Not that it's our place to judge but folks say they will know us by our fruits. What if we haven't blossomed yet?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
"Birth" is always a process. First the cultivation of the 'ground' (one's heart), planting of the seed, caring, feeding, protecting, 'watering'....then God gives the increase.

First the 'blade', then the 'ear' then the full corn in the ear. Always a process.

And we continue to grow from 'glory to glory.'

Much of what God is doing in a person's heart begins 'unseen', until God brings forth His manisfestation.

gone_fishing

I agree with you that it is a process.

My question then would be - why are we so quick (not we but the collective we) to say someone's not a christian when taken in fault. Why do we do that? :look:

Shimmie

Staff member
So we should then be more vigilent if we see someone making a mistake to not just assume they are "false christians" or hypocrites?

How can you tell the difference between a false christian and someone who is still on the early part of their journey?

Not that it's our place to judge but folks say they will know us by our fruits. What if we haven't blossomed yet?
Excellent question Adequate...:yep:

You can tell the difference. After a while you can tell...:yep: And when in doubt, just ask the Holy Spirit to 'discern' through you.

The thing is, while one grows, the enemy is there to obstruct their path and he will 'use' a growing Christian to stumble others or to support his agenda and purpose.

i.e. When some professed Christians will say, they are a Christian but they still support gay marriage, or psychics, clubbing, etc. They may be growing, but the devil sure is using them to present his case as valid, to other Christians sitting on the fence. OR those looking for fault in us.

Bottomline, Adequate you know angel. There are many wolves in sheep's clothing. And Jesus Himself even said, "Why call me Lord, Lord, and do not the things I tell you?"

BTW: Excellent topic :yep:

Nice & Wavy

"Birth" is always a process. First the cultivation of the 'ground' (one's heart), planting of the seed, caring, feeding, protecting, 'watering'....then God gives the increase.

First the 'blade', then the 'ear' then the full corn in the ear. Always a process.

And we continue to grow from 'glory to glory.'

Much of what God is doing in a person's heart begins 'unseen', until God brings forth His manisfestation.

Yes...this is on point, Shimmie.

And to add to that:

When we get saved, our spirit becomes "born again" but our soul (our feelings, rationale) needs to get 'saved' so to speak. We must work out our salvation and I always think about working it from the inside "out".

firecracker

For starters we all know everyone sins period point blank and there are no degrees of sins. A sin is a sin.

Now to the topic at hand, all the people I know that got saved overnight and attempted drastic change ie:liars/lie white ones etc whatever, gossips, elicit drug user(weed), suddenly reformed from partying too hard/sexing, the list goes on and on they usually fall back down even harder than the first time. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen to some because God is almighty and miracles do happen everyday but I wouldn't be standing around or talking behind their back waiting for their downfall either. I'm waiting a miracle myself but in case it doesn't happen I'll keep praying, working on self and thanking God for his grace and mercy.

Oh by the way a friend became super Christian over a weekend. It was hilarious because her approach was slamming the bible upside the heads of the folks she partied and visitied The Chief with the prior weekend. One of those folks happened to be me and we took the bus home from work together that Monday. Boy oh Boy that ride home for her was long :lachen:That was in 1983 I will never forget. Let me go call Disco Dina so we can laugh about how we both have changed but I'm still Dizzy Dean to this day.

janiebaby

I don't believe that being a Christian changes you overnight. Can you? Sure but not likely.

I think that like Shimmie said you can tell sometimes when someone is claiming to be a Christian just so they can be recognized while others are really struggling (not many of us aren't).

I'm quicker to judge myself than others though I tend to question almost everything:look:. The Bible teaches that you should be slow to judge but this is hard also so any Christian that takes part in it must take a deep look at themselves as well.

In the Bible there were many instances when a person would ask an accuser a question about a certain situation which paralleled the accuser's own and then the person would say this and that condemning themselves without knowing it. Example: The story of David letting Absalom return in the Bible.

Shimmie

Staff member
I don't believe that being a Christian changes you overnight. Can you? Sure but not likely.

I think that like Shimmie said you can tell sometimes when someone is claiming to be a Christian just so they can be recognized while others are really struggling (not many of us aren't).

I'm quicker to judge myself than others though I tend to question almost everything:look:. The Bible teaches that you should be slow to judge but this is hard also so any Christian that takes part in it must take a deep look at themselves as well.

In the Bible there were many instances when a person would ask an accuser a question about a certain situation which paralleled the accuser's own and then the person would say this and that condemning themselves without knowing it. Example: The story of David letting Absalom return in the Bible.
Excellent example, Janiebaby...King David also condemned himself when he responded to Nathan the prophet, regarding his affair with Bathsheba. The curse was the death of the 1st baby conceived and the deaths that followed with his other children, including Absolom murdering one of his brothers (Ammon for raping their sister Tamar) and when Absolom was killed by Joab when he hung from a tree by his hair.

The thing is, we 'know'. As we grow with the Holy Spirit, we are prompted to just 'know' and it's not passing judgment upon someone, for the Spirit of the Lord has placed His truth within us.

Just like we know 'fake' hair and 'fake' nails, we know 'fake' people. Even the most 'undetectable' is not hidden from the Lord. The word of God prays that the 'eyes' of our understanding be opened. For God will not have us ignorant.

God says, 'try' the spirits and see if they be of God. We cannot be afraid to face the truth about someone, for fear (or concern) of being judgmental. Judging is our safeguard. When in doubt, we have the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth.

For there is nothing hid which will not be manifested, neither is anything kept secret but that it should come abroad." (Mark 4:22).

gone_fishing

Here is something I read about judging others:

This is an issue that has confused many people. On one hand, we are commanded by the Lord Jesus “Do not judge, or you too will be judged” (Matthew 7:1). On the other hand, the Bible also exhorts us to beware of evil-doers and false prophets and to avoid those who practice all kinds of evil. How are we to discern who these people are if we do not make some kind of judgment about them?

Christians are often accused of "judging" whenever they speak out against a sinful activity. However, that is not the meaning of the Scripture verses that state, "Do not judge." There is a righteous kind of judgment we are supposed to exercise—with careful discernment (John 7:24). When Jesus told us not to judge (Matthew 7:1), He was telling us not to judge hypocritically. Matthew 7:2-5 declares, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." What Jesus was condemning here was hypocritical, self-righteous judgments of others.

In Matthew 7:2-5, Jesus warns against judging someone else for their sin when you yourself are sinning even worse. That is the kind of judging Jesus commanded us not to do. If a believer sees another believer sinning, it is their Christian duty to lovingly and respectfully confront the person with their sin (Matthew 18:15-17). This is not judging, but rather pointing out the truth in hope—and with the ultimate goal—of bringing repentance in the other person (James 5:20) and restoration to the fellowship. We are to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). We are to proclaim what God's Word says about sin. 2 Timothy 4:2 instructs us, "Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage — with great patience and careful instruction." We are to "judge" sin, but always with the goal of presenting the solution for sin and its consequences—the Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6).

What do you all think of this?

Shimmie

Staff member

This is an issue that has confused many people. On one hand, we are commanded by the Lord Jesus “Do not judge, or you too will be judged” (Matthew 7:1). On the other hand, the Bible also exhorts us to beware of evil-doers and false prophets and to avoid those who practice all kinds of evil. How are we to discern who these people are if we do not make some kind of judgment about them?

Christians are often accused of "judging" whenever they speak out against a sinful activity. However, that is not the meaning of the Scripture verses that state, "Do not judge." There is a righteous kind of judgment we are supposed to exercise—with careful discernment (John 7:24). When Jesus told us not to judge (Matthew 7:1), He was telling us not to judge hypocritically. Matthew 7:2-5 declares, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." What Jesus was condemning here was hypocritical, self-righteous judgments of others.

In Matthew 7:2-5, Jesus warns against judging someone else for their sin when you yourself are sinning even worse. That is the kind of judging Jesus commanded us not to do. If a believer sees another believer sinning, it is their Christian duty to lovingly and respectfully confront the person with their sin (Matthew 18:15-17). This is not judging, but rather pointing out the truth in hope—and with the ultimate goal—of bringing repentance in the other person (James 5:20) and restoration to the fellowship. We are to speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15). We are to proclaim what God's Word says about sin. 2 Timothy 4:2 instructs us, "Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage — with great patience and careful instruction." We are to "judge" sin, but always with the goal of presenting the solution for sin and its consequences—the Lord Jesus Christ (John 14:6).

This is exactly what I shared in my posts.... :grouphug2:

chellero

Wife Supremacist

This is exactly right, which is why it always frustrates me that people throw out "thou shall not judge" anytime someone points out that something is wrong. People need to read the whole scripture in context.