Does anyone still Grease their scalp??

dede1129

I am in the process of getting out of my old habits and my current stylist told me NOT to grease my scalp because it will weigh my hair down and make it go limp. As I am transitioning I use coconut oil to moisturize but I was so tempted to grease my scalp like I used to and then I began to wonder if it is bad for me during my transition. When I was all relaxed I used to grease my scalp because that is how I was raised, however it does weigh my hair down but my hair need moisture and grease last the longest. What's your opinion or experience with greasing your scalp?

MariposaSexyGirl

Well speaking for myself, I've never greased my scalp. It does fine producing its own oil(sebum). I just use a moisturizer on my ends like LTR and seal my ends with oil. By day 3 my scalp and roots are oily on their own. But I know there are plenty of people here that do and they see it as beneficial. They should chime in soon.

Keen

My scalp don't produce any oil (figuretively speaking). So I grease it or spray it with something to keep it moise

JustSimplyTish

Yeah I am OCD about smells too....Many of good products have passed me by because I can't take the smell..that is why I adore the HV CoCasta Oil smells so heavenly...Regular Castor Oil even bugs me for the most part

bimtheduck

I apply castor oil to my temples and when my crown gets itchy I'll sometimes rub EVCO oil in to soothe the area until my next DC

Vintageglam

I lightly apply (i.e. finger tip amounts) my JBCO mix to my scalp 2-3x week and will also usually pre-poo my scalp with a mixture of oils, herbs etc.

I do not think that greasing the scalp is necessary. I just think it's something that gained popularity with black women bc we tend to wash our hair less often which results is dry itchy/ flaky scalp.

I think as long as you DC 1x week and keep your hair and scalp moisturised that greasing the scalp is not necessary.

HTH's

AlliCat

I do scalp massages with an oil of some kind. But as for putting those petroleum and mineral oil based greases on my scalp, nope :nono: Our scalp produces it's own sebum so IMO heavy greasing is not necessary.

Traceys

I was told by my stylist to never apply oil on my scalp. She says that when we oil our scalp, the scalp can not breathe, and it makes our hair follicles soft and weak, which encourage hair to shed and come out. If we rely solely on the natural oils we will be fine.

Sha76

I dont grease my scalp at all. but I may put oil on my ends to seal in moisture ( which usually water)

I feel my hair grows easier if I dont grease the scalp

knt1229

Oh my. I didn't know folks still greased their scalps. I haven't done that in 20 years. Last time was probably around 1990 or so. I have used hair conditioners that are somewhat like grease but not really on my hair a few years back.

Last edited:

Beverly Ann Properties

Any oil or grease on my scalp gives me scalp pimples. I keep my scalp clean and free of products. Now when I was a chil, my mom use to grease my scalp and I did not have any problems~

ycj1

I sure do and am not ashamed to say it! I have to since I have a very dry scalp no matter what con I use. I grease it like every other day. That's how much my scalp soaks up oil. I've been trying out the Lenzi's request and on alternating days I use MT and after that drys in a couple of hours I use Alma oil. But that's just me.:grin:

HoneyDew

I sure do and am not ashamed to say it! I have to since I have a very dry scalp no matter what con I use. I grease it like every other day. That's how much my scalp soaks up oil. I've been trying out the Lenzi's request and on alternating days I use MT and after that drys in a couple of hours I use Alma oil. But that's just me.:grin:

I used Lenzi's request a few years ago and I liked it. I don't think there is anything wrong with grease. There have been times when it was pretty soothing for me. I would use grease if I did not have a problem with it being too heavy for me.

Nova

I oil my scalp because if I don't, it'll start to flake like crazy. I oil it every two days and my edges (which disappeared last winter due to neglect) every day. I've recently started being consistent with this regime so I don't have any new growth results.

Charlie555

I oil my scalp lightly with Vatika oil (it smells soooo yummy) or dry scalp glossifier by Keracare. I usually do it once a week.

healthyhair2

I grease my scalp too, but I use a light oil such as jojoba, almond or avocado oil. Sometimes if my hair needs more, I will use a hair butter like Jane Carter Nourish and Shine. I do oil treatments with Indian oil/herb mixes too.

Mad Scientist

Well I used to grease my scalp when it got "dry", but my scalp hardly ever gets dry now! And when it does, I put shea butter or something on it. Though occasionally I do gravitate back to good ol' softee hair grease. Actually, a few weeks ago I was in braids and I just suddenly had the urge to slide some grease down all my parts. I think it's just my nature, being my mother's daughter. She thinks grease is the solution for EVERYTHING.

charmtreese

Well I used to grease my scalp when it got "dry", but my scalp hardly ever gets dry now! And when it does, I put shea butter or something on it. Though occasionally I do gravitate back to good ol' softee hair grease. Actually, a few weeks ago I was in braids and I just suddenly had the urge to slide some grease down all my parts. I think it's just my nature, being my mother's daughter. She thinks grease is the solution for EVERYTHING.

My mom thinks the same thing!!!:grin:

Hence my response:

I "grease" my scalp with natural oils just about nightly!:yep: However, traditional grease does nothing for my hair or scalp except makes it feel oily & rough!

HeChangedMyName

I don't per se. I do moisterize my scalp though with oil on DC days. Since cutting back on adding oils to my hair, I've actually seen an increase in the amount of oil my scalp produces on its own. its quite nice to see my fingers come off my scalp all greasy looking and I know I hadn't put anything on their. I love it.