Does Anyone DC This Way?

Christelyn

I was trolling around Barnes and Noble last week and picked up a book, I think it was called "A Black Woman's Guide to Hair" or something like that. In it, the author talks about "repairative conditioning," in which you take off excess water from the hair, put the deep conditioner beginning from the roots, and then sit under the dryer on medium for 15 minutes. Thereafter, you apply more conditioner, sit under the dryer for another 10 minutes. Get out, put on more conditioner and sit another 10 minutes for a total of 35 minutes under the dryer.

I wonder, what is the purpose of reapplying again and again? I could see how it would ensure every hair got a good conditioning, though.

Any thoughts?

MummysGirl

I've read about this on this board. I'm sure ladies who do this will chime in.

The closest I do to this is... after I'm done DC'ing, I apply my cowash conditioner to my already saturated hair and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing it out. Then I cowash one more time.

Nonie

I've never heard of that, and I'm too cheap to use so much conditioner. Someone on the forum with beautiful healthy long hair (sorry my memory fails me whom but hope she'll stand up and be counted) shared how low her hair care budget was. Part of her regimen was using just sufficient conditioner and not expensive either (VO5, I think was her choice, and it lasts her a looooong time). As far as she was concerned much more was just wasteful and washed down the drain having done no work on your hair. Her logic made me wonder just how much really my hair or anyone's can really absorb of anything and I started to doubt the assumption that more was better. (Lawd knows I slather conditioner generously!) Surely if more meant better, wouldn't there be conditioners with directions such as

"Pour half the bottle in the soft bowl provided and dunk your head in it ensuring all strands are submerged. Now then pull the bowl's draw string so that you lock your head and the 2 quarts of conditioner inside the bowl, sitting up once sure the string was tied well so conditioner was locked in. Sit under a warm dryer (or not) for 30 minutes. Then bend over a bath tub and reverse the process to remove the bowl." :look:

Surely, my LHCF sistah had a point that as long as your strands were coated, then you were OK. I mean, she had years of experience and proof it was true as her hair was long and beautifully thick.

I have had times when I would apply conditioner till my hair strands looked white, then after DCing with heat, my hair still looked white as if I had just applied conditioner. The other times I would start off with whitish hair due to conditioner, but after DCing with heat, my hair would no longer look white but rather would look shiny and black, with beautiful slip not unlike the times it had remained white. Methinks in the former incident where hair stayed white, I had used too much, and in the latter where the whiteness seemed to be "absorbed", I had used just enough conditioner. My hair never feels dry if the final result is the latter...so I know I don't ever use less than I need.

So I say all that to say, I do not see what good the method OP quotes would do. In fact, we all have heard of "excess protein" and "excess moisture" being problems on this forum. So I will stand in defiance of this suggestion and say, less is more, IMO and that doing all of that seems very wasteful.

(Ermm...is the author of this idea selling products or (ahem) getting a cut from someone that sells products? :scratchch )

Last edited:

MochaEyeCandy

There's a really long thread on this method on BHM. Hopefully this helps someone. Reconditioning.
Sounds interesting, I may try it to see if I get better curl definition once in a while but I couldn't see myself doing this every week. I'm just too lazy, and my hair washing process is long enough already. :wallbash:

Nonie

There's a really long thread on this method on BHM. Hopefully this helps someone. Reconditioning.

I just read that thread, but I'm still at a loss. Unless you're not putting enough conditioner to start with, so that it's all being absorbed and then you put more so the hair gets its fill, I am just trying to picture myself on days when my hair looks white after a DC and trying to imagine slathering more condish over that and the sense in it all is evading me big time.

I think I'll pass. Now if my way of DCing wasn't working, then I might be experimental but all logic tells me to run for the hills as far away from this as I can...and stick to what I know. As it is, my money doesn't seem as elastic as it used to be.

RedVelvet310

I've tried it before, my hair did feel really moisturized after but I don'tknow if it was the product I was using or this method. I stopped after I got too lazy to sit under the dryer, but when I do, I do this reconditioning thing. My hair seems to like it :yep:

chiprecious

Ok forgive me, but the member here that did the BKT with the popular blog suggested that method. Is it Southern Tease??

But I believe she said it allows for maximum absorption of moisture/conditioner. I did it once and I was surprised to see that my hair kept absorbing the conditioner. Yes it starts off white each time but after a while, it appears gone and into my hair...My haif did feel better...

MochaEyeCandy

I just read that thread, but I'm still at a loss. Unless you're not putting enough conditioner to start with, so that it's all being absorbed and then you put more so the hair gets its fill, I am just trying to picture myself on days when my hair looks white after a DC and trying to imagine slathering more condish over that and the sense in it all is evading me big time.

I think I'll pass. Now if my way of DCing wasn't working, then I might be experimental but all logic tells me to run for the hills as far away from this as I can...and stick to what I know. As it is, my money doesn't seem as elastic as it used to be.
Valid points. My hair is almost always white when I come from underneath my steamer...I have a problem. :grin: I'll save my conditioner, and my time.

CenteredGirl

Sometimes, I don't use a baggy. I don't douse my head with DC either. Works fine just with a bit on hair and under the dryer for 30-45 minutes.

Vonnieluvs08

I read someone's Fotki that was describing how they use this method (applying with an applicator bush each time) but they only do it once during the DC process. I've done it a few times when I didn't think I got enough conditioner on my hair (I'm generally heavy handed I admit) and don't think it did too much in the way my hair felt.

Basically I'm too lazy or frugal to do this method. I go thru enough condish a week with DC 2x/wk. This method would be like DCing 6x/wk.:nono: Think I'll pass

vkb247

Ms. Mane and Chic dc's this way. (I am not trying to be cute I just don't remember her name her right now). The ladies were talking about this in the thread about small tips that make big differences and I think a few ladies started dcing this way. The rational is that as the hair soaks up the conditioner you are adding more so that it can soak up more. I think. :lol:

Eta: Chiprecious you are right. Her name is Southern Tease.

Nonie

I read someone's Fotki that was describing how they use this method (applying with an applicator bush each time) but they only do it once during the DC process. I've done it a few times when I didn't think I got enough conditioner on my hair (I'm generally heavy handed I admit) and don't think it did too much in the way my hair felt.

Basically I'm too lazy or frugal to do this method. I go thru enough condish a week with DC 2x/wk. This method would be like DCing 6x/wk.:nono: Think I'll pass

While I use my fingers in lieu of a brush, I too section my hair and apply conditioner to a few strands (or now a few braids) at a time, with the same care and thoroughness I would apply relaxer, making sure I coat my hair well. Which I guess is why when I use too much, my hair still looks white and when I use a sufficient amount, my hair doesn't look white but still feels the same way it does when it looks white, in terms of moisture and slip.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
This sounds like the method from Lisa Akbari's book. She also has a line of hair products. I think she just wants folks to use more so they have to buy more. :giggle:

Khaiya

^^^LOL, well i'm not using her products to do it so i thank her for the tip but i'm happy with my products.

It works for me, i usually forego the 3rd application though, i just do like 10 minutes the first time and 15 the next. I really dont use that much more product cause i search for spots that seem to be still dry and apply more specifically to those areas, i think in the book she says to apply the 2nd and 3rd time to the ends, edges and weak spots, dont quote me though cause i'm not sure. But doing it that way i get the benefits without using much more product than i would otherwise.

Christelyn

Okay. I tried this and...it worked pretty well. Even the lady at Super Cuts commented on how nice my hair felt after she trimmed about .5 inch. When I did the second application, I was better able to notice spots that had not gotten conditioner. The last application was just to the ends. My hair seemed to have soaked up all the conditioner because my hair was not white at all. It rinsed shiny and bouncy.