Reconditioning?

WriterGirl

Hello Ladies:

I was in the bookstore today and came across a book, THE BLACK WOMAN'S GUIDE TO BEAUTIFUL HAIR by Lisa Akbari.

She basically talks about the same thing we talk about here -- but she talked about something called reconditioning. I've never heard of this concept and wondered if any of you ladies use it -- I always thought deep conditioning didn't need any re-applications.

Here's a paraphrase of the what reconditioning is:

"After you have put the conditioner in your hair, sit under the dryer with a plastic cap for 15 minutes.

Come out and apply more conditioner to the hairline, ends, and any short weak spots. Cover back up with the plastic cap and sit under the dryer for 10 minutes.

Come out again and repeat -- applying conditioner to the hairline, ends, and weak spots. Cover with plastic cap and sit under the dryer 10 more minutes.

Reconditioning for a total of 35 minutes."

Don't know if makes a difference. Do any of you ladies do this when deep conditioning?

lilsparkle825

i know SouthernTease does it...she talks about it on her blog. i wonder if there are any benefits to this, cause my DC is expensive but it could be worth the sacrifice. in the meantime i will stick with what i know.

Cali*Rocks

I have done this before and it actually seems to help a lot. Also Southern Tease has some info on her blog about it...

RegaLady

I did this last wash week. I DC'ed with Cholestoral for 10 mins. Then rinsed and DC'd another 20 with ORS deep conditioner. I don't know the benefits. I was trying to get two good dc sessions done in 30 min.

WriterGirl

i know SouthernTease does it...she talks about it on her blog. i wonder if there are any benefits to this, cause my DC is expensive but it could be worth the sacrifice. in the meantime i will stick with what i know.

I'll have to go check out her blog. Wonder if she just reapplies it? If it involves rinsing and re-applying--yeah that may be too much work.

lilsparkle825

I'll have to go check out her blog. Wonder if she just reapplies it? If it involves rinsing and re-applying--yeah that may be too much work.
if i remember correctly, she doesn't rinse. she applies, sits under the dryer for 15 mins, applies some more, sits under the dryer, then does it again. 45 mins total.

Denise11

Yes, it was SouthernTease that I was trying to remember. When she talked about this, I was meaning to try it.

MonaLisa

Hmm...I've been doing something in the neighborhood of this for the past few weeks..
but I've been overnighting with moisture...then in the a.m. I apply protein...leave it on for a few hours, then rinse.

hair has responded positively to it...so that's my new weekly m.o. for deep conditioning.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Sounds interesting! I'll have to go check out SouthernTease's blog. I think I'll try this next wash day, I'm always looking for new things to try :grin:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Thanks for the link, WriterGirl!!! I was gonna do the same thing (keep the conditioner on the table next to the dryer) It doesn't sound like much work at all. Did you put more on your ends as well? How does your hair feel? Any difference?

WriterGirl

I put it along my hairline and on my ends. My sides are growing out so I concentrated on that too.

I'm airdyring it right now. Hair feels really nice. Don't know if I can tell any difference.

Hair felt yummy rinsing in the shower though.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
It does sound like extra effort and extra product, but hey who knows? Of course it would need to be done for a while to see if there were any benefits to it or not. I don't think anyone would be able to tell from doing it just a few times.

Neith

Doesn't sound like it would hurt you any, but it sounds like a waste of product to me.

The hair can only absorb so much product at once. One normal application does it for me, but to each his own.