Do you think relaxer labels should contain a warning

pinkchocolatedaisy

You know, I believe knowledge is power. That being said, there was sooo much I didn't know prior to LHCF. Thanks again ladies, :grin:. So you know I never knew before what exactly were in relaxers and never once thought to research it and find out exactly what was being put in my hair.... and I consider myself to be a pretty health conscious person. So when I learned exactly what calcium and/or sodium hydroxide were, I was in complete shock. :blush:. I was basically putting Drano on my scalp!!! OMG, that is not good. I actually looked on the back label of the bottle of Drano I have for my tubs at home and saw sodium hydroxide as one of the main active ingredients. So let's just say I am considering myself done with relaxers... I shared this info with my mom and BFF and they both were completely appalled. This is esp appalling bc I recall as a child when my mom actually went to the hospital once after getting seriously burned fr a relaxer. I guess it had gotten into her bloodstream??? :look: not sure, don't recall. But she had to take some big a$$ pills for a while. I'm pretty sure she didn't know what was in the relaxer and perhaps the doctors didn't either. Now I wonder why don't the relaxer kits/tubs/boxes/etc contain a warning on the label that they have drain cleaners as their main active ingredients to warn consumers? Just they way they do with cigarettes and some alcoholic beverages. What do you all think?

anon123

There should definitely be a warning about how improper use can cause burns, but I don't about the drain cleaner reference. Sodium hydroxide can be found in stuff other than drain clainers, and it would just seem to be a weird reference to put on a label. But I thought there was already a warning. No, nowhere on the box or instructions?

MonPetite

Honestly...if having your scalp burned/eaten by a chemical doesn't give you a pause...a little label won't.

Don't get me wrong! I'm NOT "hating" on relaxed ladies.:nono:

I'm hardly one to talk.:ohwell:

I've been relaxed up until 6 months ago and...well...the burning, the scabs, the itchy scalp...it certainly didn't stop me. :perplexed

It DID however make me all the happier to be natural and has helped me never look back. :yep:

Labels on cigarettes and alcohol don't make people stop using them. Knowing you're putting draino on your scalp if it gives you the "swang" you want ,because of a label, isn't going to stop people from doing what they feel benefits them.

As I felt it did me.

I'm not "enlightened" now that I don't relax.

I understand why I did it...and at least, personally...a label wouldn't stop me. Or make me think twice.

I still use products with silicones and parabens.

I read article after article about how bad they are (supposedly and only in large amounts)...yet...I choose to believe (as I research both sides on the issue) I'm not getting a large enough doses to hurt me and with proper clarifying (to relieve hair of excess silicone build up) I benefit from those products. I tried the all natural route...now I'm back to salon and drugstore products.

They work for me. :yep:

I don't think I'm killing myself...I'll continue to use them as it suits me. Something tells me many would feel the same way about relaxers label or no label.

Do I think putting draino on your scalp is good? NO. Did I still do it for years, KNOWING what it was for 3 of them? YES. Why? It was a tool I used to achieve something I wanted. As silicone and paraben products are to me now.

Yes, I know sticklers would say a relaxer is a far cry from suave naturals conditioner. I'm looking at the over arching frame of mind.

....Besides, with the way Smooth Down Butter Treat (Redken) pampers my curls...I'm not kicking my silicone/paraben habit anytime soon. :grin:

Lute

Umm, I thought they allready come with a warning. It would probably be with the how-to phamphlet in the box

AfroKink

I think there should be warnings because its a potentially hazardous substance. It can cause hair loss, chemical burns, can blind you if it gets in your eyes. Who knows what harm breathing it in can do. The warning should state symptoms of chemical burns and allergies and direct people to the hospital.

I don't think there needs to be a reference about drain cleaners. Sodium hydroxide is not just a "drain cleaner". Sodium hydroxide is a chemical, a highly basic substance. Bases break down protein. Hair is protein. This is why it's used in relaxers - to break down the protein bonds that cause hair to curl. This is why it's used in drain cleaners - to break down the protein bonds and pretty much dissolve the hair that's clogging your drain.

After typing that out, I believe that the same warnings that are on draino should be on relaxers. Right down to "keep out of reach from children" I think people should be able to make an informed decision of what goes on their head.

Lys

pinkchocolatedaisy

True, warnings on cigarettes and alcoholic beverages don't stop people from using them.... I guess I just think it would help to make the consumer more aware of what they are getting into. Yes, I knew that relaxers contained chemicals- what doesn't these days? But I just didn't know what and never took the time to even research it. I liked having relaxed hair burns and all and honestly even knowing this now I think about going back sometimes and it's only been 3 months! LOL. But I think about how it's so misused, used incorrectly and a lot of folks just don't know... it's kinda scary. I'm sure calcium and sodium hydroxide have others uses but just knowing that it is used in drano- something I use to unclog my drains scares me, personally. This site has just made me a little more conscious of things when I am purchasing hair products. I am now paying more attention to the ingredients and really noticing the difference in what works and what doesn't for both myself and my daughter. Just sharing some random thoughts I have...

pinkchocolatedaisy

Yeah, but not the kind of warning I'm thinking it should have. Yeah, it warns about skin contact and burns and irritation and what not, etc. Avoid eye contact, can cause blindness yada yada yada... But why not say something right on the label I'm saying... like this product contains harsh, caustic chemicals that can cause serious burns to skin and other injury?

Umm, I thought they allready come with a warning. It would probably be with the how-to phamphlet in the box

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
There is a warning in relaxer boxes/jars. Most people go straight to the directions or just skip reading anything altogether and get to applying

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Nope.

People aren't gonna quit smokin or drinkin, so they're not gonna stop relaxing either :nono2:

I know what's in relaxers, and it doesn't make me NOT want to use them. I think it's pretty obvious that if something can burn your scalp, then it's probably not the best thing you can put on your head :perplexed

Still, knowing what I know, I honestly don't care. I'm gonna keep on relaxing because it's convenient for me and I like having straight hair :ohwell:

pinkchocolatedaisy

Yes, I understand. I'm just scared now that I know. I get scared off a lot of things once I learn the truth about them. I just wish there was a safer, less damaging way to go about it for us all.

Nope.

People aren't gonna quit smokin or drinkin, so they're not gonna stop relaxing either :nono2:

I know what's in relaxers, and it doesn't make me NOT want to use them. I think it's pretty obvious that if something can burn your scalp, then it's probably not the best thing you can put on your head :perplexed

Still, knowing what I know, I honestly don't care. I'm gonna keep on relaxing because it's convenient for me and I like having straight hair :ohwell: