Anyone use a Sensitive Scalp relaxer?

meka

I don't know what is going on with my scalp lately. I can't take a relaxer without it burning the heck out of my scalp before I can even apply it to the front and middle sections. I was wondering if any of you ladies had any suggestions on what I can do or if you are using a sensitive scalp relaxer. I know those don't contain sodium hydroxide ( lye) but what about the other ingredients? I have my eyes on Affirm Sensitive Scalp relaxer with something called guanadine hydroxide. What do you ladies suggest. Thanks

ryanshope

I also use Mizani SS; I have tried the other Mizani relaxers(hated them) and this is very gentle and leaves my 4a/b hair very soft no burning or irritation

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I used to use the vitale sensitive scalp relaxer. As you stated it is no lye but I don't recall it messing up my texture or causing breakage. Are you basing your scalp before you apply the relaxer? Some relaxers come with a base, some people use vaseline, and sally's sells a relaxer base. Most of them still have petroleum jelly as the main ingredient tho.

c_octavia

Your not getting your hair wet at all, or using heat appliances the day of your perm are you? Doing both of thoes things opens up the pores in your scap. What are you basing with? Is it a product that goes with the perm?

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
If your not scratching or doing anything else to affect your scalp maybe your body is just telling you relaxers arent for you. Stretching might help. How long do you normally wait between relaxers?

Jewell

I have used Mizani Sensitive Scalp Relaxer in Mild, and it felt like all I had on my hair was conditioner. Not the slightest tingle, and I usually tingle even if I don't touch my hair or scalp for 3 days.

teerama

Hot Mama!
I love Mizani SS (Mild) on my 4a hair. I have no burning or irritation. I usually tell my stylist it's burning just to get her to wash it out (I dont like it too straight).

meka

You know what, I do manipulate my hair before a relaxer and I always have it is just that I have never had any reactions like that before. I have used Mizani Sensitive Scalp before and it didn't burn and processed very well. I may have to give it another go. Thanks ladies!

brickhouse

meka, this info is from Barry Fletcher's book,"Why Are Black Women Losing Their Hair", it states that no-lye relaxers contain two main ingredients, carbonate and calcium hydroxide. Together they form guanidine hydroxide. Guanidine hydroxide has a high ph, ranging from 12 to 14, which is the same or higher than lye relaxers, but it does not produce equivalent results. The truth is, no-lye is relaxers aren't as safe as they are promoted to be. In most cases, it underprocesses the hair, changes its texture and robs the hair of moisture. Hair that has been repeatedly processed with no-lye relaxers becomes extremely dry and brittle. The scalp also will be excessively dry and deteriorated.

When I read this info last year I made the switch from Affirm with sensitive scalp to Affirm regular with lye. So far so good. I think I made the switch the year before last.

DiamondStar

I also use Mizani Sensative Scalp and it works great. I've always had a sensative scalp and this is the only relaxer that has never irritated my scalp!