do you scrub your scalp when washing your hair?

sunnieb

I use my finger pads prior to washing to massage my scalp loosen the dirt. While washing I continue to massage using finger pads only.

I also don't care what product hits my scalp. :look:

Monaleezza

I have scrubbed my scalp before, on the occasions where I've cowashed, come out the shower and noticed that my roots are caked with oils.
On those occasions I'mve put a little shampoo at my roots and had a quick scrub.

But generally, as others have said, I use my finger tips.

blackberry815

I do, use my finger pads when i scrub.. i only do it when i shampoo not when i co wash.
I will start using latex gloves however cause i used them while shampooing my SO (he has shoulder length dreads) and it was soo much easier and faster to wash and scrub his scalp so the gloves are keepers for me.

was thinking of adding peppermint oil to my shampoo as well.. we'll see.

UGQueen

how did the gloves make the process go faster?

Hyacinthe

UGQueen said:
I do, use my finger pads when i scrub.. i only do it when i shampoo not when i co wash.
I will start using latex gloves however cause i used them while shampooing my SO (he has shoulder length dreads) and it was soo much easier and faster to wash and scrub his scalp so the gloves are keepers for me.

was thinking of adding peppermint oil to my shampoo as well.. we'll see.

I started using gloves too but the latexfree ones, I use them because I wear acrylics n when they need refilling they snag on my hair n that aint cool so I had to regulate lol

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

UGQueen

@UGQueen

how did the gloves make the process go faster?

blackberry815 well firstly its because i dont have to be careful with my nails and worrying about them snagging strands
bút i think mostly because the gloves help distribute the shampoo better and gives a great slip when scrubbing the scalp and hair. I found that his hair lathered way more and only needed 2-3 shampoos, usually i would shampoo about 5 times. and this time his hair way soo dirty because he spent two weeks vacay in Jamaica.
so the gloves are the best thing! even he mentioned how fast it went.

I started using gloves too but the latexfree ones, I use them because I wear acrylics n when they need refilling they snag on my hair n that aint cool so I had to regulate lol

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

Hyacinthe I had the same problem when i wore acrylics never throught of gloves tho. and thanks for mentioning latex free, thats a better option imo. i will be getting those instead.

shtow

I read on a hair book that lifting flakes actually irritates the scalp causing more problems and flakes in the long run .

I do exactly what Nonie does ,wash every 3-4 days lightly "scrub" shampoo with my finger pads and avoid putting conditioner directly on my scalp .

Oh ok thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind :yep:

Actually, since using the Mizani scalp care poo and con, I barely have any flakes anymore.

blackberry815

UGQueen said:
blackberry815 well firstly its because i dont have to be careful with my nails and worrying about them snagging strands
bút i think mostly because the gloves help distribute the shampoo better and gives a great slip when scrubbing the scalp and hair. I found that his hair lathered way more and only needed 2-3 shampoos, usually i would shampoo about 5 times. and this time his hair way soo dirty because he spent two weeks vacay in Jamaica.
so the gloves are the best thing! even he mentioned how fast it went.

Hyacinthe I had the same problem when i wore acrylics never throught of gloves tho. and thanks for mentioning latex free, thats a better option imo. i will be getting those instead.

Cool thanks, I'm in... for my next wash I'm doing the glove thing

koolkittychick

I don't scrub my scalp at all any more; now I massage my scalp using the pads of my fingers after i apply sulfate-free shampoo directly to my scalp (I find using an applicator bottle and diluting the shampoo a bit helps greatly, especially late into a stretch). After I lather up and gently massage out the dirt and oil from my scalp, I go under the shower to squeeze the suds gently through the length of my hair to get it clean, then rinse and repeat.

I used to use the gloves to protect my hair from my nails (sometimes they would give me an inadvertent haircut they snagged my hair so bad!), but I found that the gloves snagged my hair even worse as it got longer, so now I just make sure my nails are nicely smoothed out with an emory board before I wash my hair.

westNDNbeauty

Like many others, I also use the pads of my fingers to get the job done. I do also make sure my nails are even and clipped before starting my routine.

MsJamerican

I sometimes use Baking Soda and conditioner to massage my scalp. Then AVC rinse after. This is the only thing that gets my scalp clean when I have build up.

Last edited:

nickpoopie

It sounds like using latex gloves is the way to go. I'm going to try it today when I wash. I've been taking biotin and MSM for the past month and my nails have gotten so long and hard and I don't want to scrub my scalp with them (it might hurt). Not to mention, I think I read somewhere that it's not good for your scalp.