Scalp Massage - is it a scrub?

wyldcurlz

When you massage the scalp are you supposed to be scrubbing it with the pads of your fingers or are you just supposed to be manipulating (moving) the scalp? I read the link below and now I'm confused.

http://www.richardsteinsalon.com/chapter2.htm
(scroll to the bottom for massage how-to's)

I tried just manipulating the scalp and it felt good, blood flow did seem to increase and I didn't have the "pain" I had with my normal "scrubbing with the pads of my fingers" style massage. Please don't reply with a "well, if it seemed to work then go with it" type of response. I want to know how to do a proper scalp massage...even if there is some pain involved. ;)

SparklingFlame

Well I wont profess to being an expert massager but all I do is rub in circles all over my head using the flat part of my fingers, not the nail. I do it for about 2 or 3 min and I do feel the blood going to my scalp more. Its really relaxing. In no way should you feel pain. Its a massage! :grin: HTH!

Isis

I learned to move my scalp to massage it. Scrubbing it sounds like it would be damaging to the hair follicles, like scratching.

arizona

wyldcurlz said:
When you massage the scalp are you supposed to be scrubbing it with the pads of your fingers or are you just supposed to be manipulating (moving) the scalp? I read the link below and now I'm confused.

http://www.richardsteinsalon.com/chapter2.htm
(scroll to the bottom for massage how-to's)

I tried just manipulating the scalp and it felt good, blood flow did seem to increase and I didn't have the "pain" I had with my normal "scrubbing with the pads of my fingers" style massage. Please don't reply with a "well, if it seemed to work then go with it" type of response. I want to know how to do a proper scalp massage...even if there is some pain involved. ;)
Wyldcurlz,
Thank you so much for this link. I was doing my massages the same way you were and now I realize that I've been doing it all wrong. I've probably caused damage to my hair with my previous method.

AZ