Do You Scratch Your Scalp When It Itches?

goldensensation

CreoleInDC said:
I think the top of my head is sore. It feels "bruised." Could it be because I wore it pulled up yesterday? It wasn't tight.

sometimes the tension from a single strand being pulled can make the scalp very sore. So maybe that's it.

As far as scratching, I try not to. If I have a really bad itch, I pat.

CreoleInDC

goldensensation said:
sometimes the tension from a single strand being pulled can make the scalp very sore. So maybe that's it.

As far as scratching, I try not to. If I have a really bad itch, I pat.

I tried patting. It just made me mad. LOL! I try my darnedest not to scratch...BUT IT'S HARD!

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
SerenityBreeze said:
I scratch when my scalp itches. I never really knew of it to be bad for your scalp. Is it?

Well, it depends. If you sractch your scalp--or any part of your body--too much, the skin can be damaged. Have you ever scatched your arm and noticed a red swollen welp there afterwards, or even bleeding? The same thing happens to your scalp. :eek: I would just go easy, and if it is persistent itching you are trying to combat, try massaging with tea tree (my fav) or peppermint essential oil. ;)

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I will scratch if it itches, but since I've been natural the only time that really happens is if I sleep in conditioner overnight. When I was relaxed, right when the idea "touch-up" popped into my brain, my head would start itching like crazy. Then I would have to wait to do the touch up, ususally washing it again and waiting a couple of days.

cocowhite

Enchantmt said:
I will scratch if it itches, but since I've been natural the only time that really happens is if I sleep in conditioner overnight. When I was relaxed, right when the idea "touch-up" popped into my brain, my head would start itching like crazy. Then I would have to wait to do the touch up, ususally washing it again and waiting a couple of days.

I swore this always happen to me. :lol:

When my head used to itch was when I was wearing sewn-in weaves and I would pat and scratch, know my scalp rarely itches, except when I think relax time, then it goes into overdrive.

CreoleInDC

cocowhite said:
I swore this always happen to me. :lol:

When my head used to itch was when I was wearing sewn-in weaves and I would pat and scratch, know my scalp rarely itches, except when I think relax time, then it goes into overdrive.

LOL! Same thing happens to me.

cocoberry10

I try not to scratch, but sometimes, I just can't help it! I try to rub it or massage it, but that isn't always sufficient. Sometimes I need to gently scratch.