Do you REALLY care about mineral oil?

DirtyJerzeyGirly

Mineral Oil is fine with me. I use Miss Jessie's products and they notoriusly contain mineral oil. It works great on my hair. Just like sufracants in shampoo. Not really a big deal. I used Loreal Everpure and it was great for my hair; unfortunately it made my scalp itch. But SLS and ALS in shampoo....nah.

CaliDiamond

I will NOT give up my Aphogee 2 min! It is my only conditioner with mineral oil in in but I just can't let go. It performs too well.

Ms.Christ3n

I've never had problems with it. My hair was always just fine. My relaxed hair grew past BSL using only Motion's pink hair lotion daily.....I loved that stuff!

BEAUTYU2U

I think when we first begin our HHJ that we take all advice, suggestions, etc. as hard-fast rules. If it works for you then there should be no reason to stop using it. Early into my HHJ, I stopped using anything with sulfates, mineral oil, or petroleum. I've found that shampoos with sulfates do NOT strip my hair of moisture - or at least not a significant amount.

To answer your question though - lol - mineral oil/petroleum are still culprits to me. It makes my hair feel icky and I haven't had too much trouble finding moisturizing products that do not contain them.

sensi sweetie

I have been avoiding that stuff like a plague for years! But after reading some of you lovely ladies thoughts and successes on MO, I think I'll loosed up a bit.

I agree, i don't think its particularly beneficial OR harmful to hair. I think its simply used as an inexpensive carrier oil.

Yoshi3329

I personally choose not to use mineral oil. I don't care if others do. None of the products I use have mineral oil in it; my hair has never felt so soft.

ETA: However, if a product does have mineral oil in it, and it works, I'm not going to stop using it. But for the most part, if I can, I will.

Last edited:

chosen1

When I started my hair journey I too read a lot of post about mineral oil being the devil. But i found that mineral oil is not good for my hair with any leave-in products. It makes my hair a little dry and has product build up. But for wash-out conditioners like silk elements and kera care, my hair works well with these.

lalla

I use what works. And is cheapest. Because my family is from West Africa, I mostly use shea butter.

Most natural oils don't penetrate the hair. They coat it. It's not a bad thing.

I see no reason not to use mineral oil or silicones if the surfactant you use can wash them out of your hair.

yardgirl

I do but I still use products that have it. Humecto has it listed as the 4th ingredient and I'm about to try Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla that has MO as the 4th ingredient as well. You won't catch me using it in a daily moisturiser though. No way.

ConstantlyDynamic

i tried and didn't like it. my mom bought this thing called "hair food" that claims to have vitamins a&e in it (it has mineral oil listed as an ingredient) and the moment i applied it on my hair, i regretted it b/c it felt so greasy. i put olive oil on my hair today and loved it though. seems like my hair likes natural oils that are light

Kindheart

Petrolatum and MO based products usually make my hair feel icky and dry ,although there are a few exemptions ;I quite like Motions Silk Moisturizing conditioner and Keracare Humecto,I used to love ORS mayonnaise but always left my hair coated and straw like .Grease used to work back in the days ,now that I have better knowledge of hair care anD ingredients I chose to avoid it.

LushLox

I only have one MO based product and that's Mizani Night Time Treatment; which I will use every few weeks or so (or as needed). I just applied some to my hair this evening actually. It's a good product which actually does what it says on the label. Because I don't use it as a moisturiser (because imo that is not it's purpose) it works very well for me as a strengthening treatment and I'll continue to use it.

MissAn

hated it. :nono:

I must say LHCF opened my eyes, because I never realized this might be to culprit causing some of my hair woes.

swimfan09

Before I came to LHCF, I noticed that my hair was heavy and greasy with mineral oil and I did much better with more natural products. I am noticing that "cones" tend to do the same thing as well.

Miss AJ

I try to...but I don't, as long as the product doesn't contain mineral oil, petrolatum, and elevendy billion ingredients I can't even BEGIN to pronounce then it's ok by me.

Chevelure618

I love Affirm Sustenance, which has some Mineral Oil but it's very low on the ingredient list.

I also love Soft and Beautfiul Botanicals Oil which has some in, but for some reason my hair loves it. Again the MO is low on the list of ingredients. I think it is a matter of quantity. MO does create shine and smoothness, but in large quantities it makes my hair as hard as Saltine crackers....no Triscuit crackers.

Rei

yes. But mostly because I like getting the most for my money, and it irritates me to see expensive hair care products with MO like as the second ingredient. Who are they trying to fool?

If it was a 2.99 product and it just so happened to work (haven't found one of those yet), then I wouldn't mind using it. I would just clarify more often.

NerdSauce

That stuff breaks me out like crazy. And it gives me an itchy, painful scalp.

I almost feel insulted when I see it on an ingredients list.

I avoid it like the plague.