Do you REALLY care about mineral oil?

MissFallon

Before joining LHCF I used products with mineral oil in them and my hair grew just fine and was in good condition. When I joined LHCF I read all of these posts that were anti-mineral oil so I stopped using my favorite product (PCJ Pretty N Silky NewGro Hairdress). After 6 months I have decided to start using it again because it was the ONLY thing that could tame my new growth and keep my hair from breaking. I was wondering if anyone has continued using products that they really like that contain mineral oil? I only use my PCJ every couple of days, maybe once a week, but Im not letting it go because it has mineral oil. If it works and doesn't give you a problem should u stop using it just because it contains mineral oil???

Catina72

Personally, I try to avoid mineral oil on my scalp because it can clog the pores( I believe..) but I do have a nice leave in conditioner that contains mineral oil, I just make sure I apply it more to my ends and work up but not all the way to the scalp. For smoothing edges when the ng is too much I use a carrot oil creme or my hair butter and tie a satin scarf on for about 15-30 minutes and it works fabulously!!

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I say if you like something then stick with it. I think we've found that mineral oil is neither harmful or helpful in hair products. What I've seemed to notice is that so-called moisturizing conditioners with mineral oil or cones in them are not so much moisturizing as they are smoothing. For my most moisturizing conditoners, I look to products without mineral oil and cones.

MissFallon

I use to apply it to my scalp once a week but stopped doing that when I joined LHCF. I apply it only to my newgrowth making sure I dont get it on my scalp and it works great for me. I try to avoid using these products with mineral oil on my scalp but i also believe that the frequency of hair washing is also a factor. I think if u wash your hair once or twice a week you dont really need to worry about it too much because its not really gonna build up

so1913

My Buttercreme has it.....although I do pay attention and am drawn towards products without it, I'm not strict about it and will use products with it if they work.

Caramela

I think that mineral is fine. I use it daily. I also use SLS shampoo, wash my hair 2x a week and blowdry my hair. My hair and ends are in great condition. So you have to use and do what works for you and your hair.

macherieamour

I like mineral oil products on wet hair. I heard that on dry hair they prevent moisture from entering the hair rather than holding it in.

My Keracare oil moisturizer with jojoba has mineral oil, petroleum and Beeswax which are all big no no. But when I use it on sopping wet hair and rollerset- I get really soft shiny rollersets. I find that it keep in the moisture and prtects against heat.

But on dry hair, it makes it dull, lifeless and coated:confused:

So I mainly use them on wet hair...

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I don't care about whether it's in my hair products or not ...and NO it does not clog pores.

Candy_C

i like it!

kerac oil moist, is best on wet hair, i wouldn't attempt to use it on dry hair big no no.

i use amla oil on dry hair which is full of mineral oil, not on my scalp tho, makes it itccccccccch

Brownchiq

I dont go looking for it personally but some of my favorite dominican conditioners have it in them and they work great!

MissFallon

I dont think it dries out the hair when it is used on dry hair. I notice my hair feels alittle coated but after I wrap it and put a scarf on overnight it is soft and manageable the next day and not coated.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I don't care to much when it's going on the strands of my hair and not my scalp, that's where I draw the line. Other than that is must be something about mineral oil because my favorite/staple DC all have mineral oil in them and my hair is so silky soft and thicker than ever. I'm not even going to talk about the shine I have. ;)

Lusa

I do care about having mineral oil in my products because in the past the products that I used with it in them tended to be very greasy and constantly built up on my scalp. There's nothing I hate more than having that glossy vaseline look and feel to my hair. I have found good products without mineral oil or parafin.

However, this is not a one size fits all rule. So, if it works for you by all means use it.

miracle

I avoid using products with mineral oil & petroleum on my hair while it's dry because it seems to weigh it down too much. I also avoid using anything w/mimeral oil & petroleum on my scalp because it actually dries my scalp out and leaves me w/horrible dandruff. I do use a couple of conditioners that contain both ingredients & they work just fine. As long as my hair is wet, I have no problems.

curlilocs

To be honest, I really don't trip on mineral oil. When I was relaxed, I was a faithful oil sheen user which we know is mineral oil. I don't use it on natural hair, (oil sheen), but I do have a product with mineral oil in it, and it works great. I think the key is not to apply it directly to the scalp.

LadyJay114

I have no prob w/ mineral oil, but its only good in products that i have to wash out (like shampoo or cond).

its not good in products that i use on dry hair

Radianthealth

I will do everything I can to keep the stuff out of my hair. I am fanatic about it. I even write letters to my favorite hairlines to remove both mineral oil and petroleum/petrolatum from their ingredients. I think my hair thrives when I use natural oils. I don't mind cones, so far I think the weekly to biweekly clarifying takes care of those. Mineral Oil and petroleum have never improved the health of my hair.

I think it is funny though that some product lines will boast no mineral oil or petroleum on some of their items but you pick up another item in the line and it is one of the first ingredients. If they know it is not beneficial why put it into some of their products and not others. I think they are just being cheap and I am not going to pay the cost for that. To me wouldn't it be just as economical to use vegetable oil or olive oil those are pretty reasonable (well maybe not olive oil but vegetable oil at least)

goldensensation

Caramela said:
I think that mineral is fine. I use it daily. I also use SLS shampoo, wash my hair 2x a week and blowdry my hair. My hair and ends are in great condition. So you have to use and do what works for you and your hair.

I am basically like you (minus the blowdrying). When I first started caring for my hair, I freaked out about shampoos containing SLS and SLES and conditioners with mineral oil and petrolatum. Now it is all about discretion. Perhaps mineral oil isnt that good for the hair when people dont wash frequently, but I wash a minimum of twice a week so I have no problem. SLS or SLES have never dried out my scalp and the shampoos that I use make my hair feel like silk (I wouldnt use them if they didnt).

So to the OP, if your hair likes mineral oil and you arent applying it to your scalp, go for it. My beloved Elasta QP Glaze has mineral oil in it and it gives me shine and hold. Keracare HUMECTO has mineral oil in it and that stuff is like gold. :lol:

Last edited:

Caramela

goldensensation said:
I am basically like you (minus the blowdrying). When I first started caring for my hair, I freaked out about shampoos containing SLS and SLES and conditioners with mineral oil and petrolatum. Now it is all about discretion. Perhaps mineral oil isnt that good for the hair when people dont wash frequently, but I wash a minimum of twice a week so I have no problem. SLS or SLES have never dried out my scalp and the shampoos that I use make my hair feel like silk (I wouldnt use them if they didnt).

So to the OP, if your hair likes mineral oil and you arent applying it to your scalp, go for it. My beloved Elasta QP Glaze has mineral oil in it and it gives me shine and hold. Keracare HUMECTO has mineral oil in it and that stuff is like gold. :lol:

I have to be honest and say that the blowdrying isn't conventional blowdrying. I dry it til it's about 85% dry on COOL and then apply a little mineral oil and blowdry on WARM until dry. Total time heat is on my hair is very minimal. ;)

Sistaslick

goldensensation said:

I agree! If your hair is thriving from it, then don't fix what isn't broken!:yep:

For me, products with mineral oil tend to soften my hair temporarily, but end up feeling drying after awhile. And since I use sulfate free shampoos weekly, they aren't really good at stripping that stuff away. This eventually leads to moisture problems for me and a chronic feeling of dryness. I try to avoid it as much as possible, and if I use it I try to put something really moisturizing on first and use it more in a sealant-type capacity for the moisture. Or like Macherie said, on hair that is already damp/wet. ;) Now between mineral oil and petrolatum-- I'd take mineral oil any day of the week. Petrolatum is a definite deal breaker for me. :lol:

JazzyDez

I have found that using products with mineral oil and petroleum have done nothing but weigh down my hair and make it drier in the long run (but somehow it would look and feek greasy). Anyway, since I have stopped using them I have found that the overall condition of my hair has improved. But like others have stated....if it works for you, it works for you. The only product that my hair seems to like that contains pertolatum is Dudley's PCA moisture retainer.

LaNecia

macherieamour said:
I like mineral oil products on wet hair. I heard that on dry hair they prevent moisture from entering the hair rather than holding it in.

My Keracare oil moisturizer with jojoba has mineral oil, petroleum and Beeswax which are all big no no. But when I use it on sopping wet hair and rollerset- I get really soft shiny rollersets. I find that it keep in the moisture and prtects against heat.

But on dry hair, it makes it dull, lifeless and coated:confused:

So I mainly use them on wet hair...

Same here. I really only have one product that I KNOW has mineral oil in it (My Beloved Amla Oil) but I use that on wet hair only (I don't use the Amla for a pre-poo anymore). When my hair dries with it, it's awesome, if I put it on already dry hair, my hair is good for nothing but a bun or poo.

SleekandBouncy

I've continued using Motion's CPR, but that's it. I think mineral gives the impression of moisturized healthy hair, when in fact it may not be. Also I don't like the greasy look that products with mineral oil tend to have and they leave a weird film on my hair.

Arcadian

I do what I can to avoid mineral oil because my hair just dosen't agree with it much.

There's a couple of products that I use that has MO, but its not at the top of the list (which is good) So if I keep it in check, things balance out.

-A