Do you REALLY care about mineral oil?

Synthia

trimbride said:
I will do everything I can to keep the stuff out of my hair. I am fanatic about it. I even write letters to my favorite hairlines to remove both mineral oil and petroleum/petrolatum from their ingredients. I think my hair thrives when I use natural oils. I don't mind cones, so far I think the weekly to biweekly clarifying takes care of those. Mineral Oil and petroleum have never improved the health of my hair.

I think it is funny though that some product lines will boast no mineral oil or petroleum on some of their items but you pick up another item in the line and it is one of the first ingredients. If they know it is not beneficial why put it into some of their products and not others. I think they are just being cheap and I am not going to pay the cost for that. To me wouldn't it be just as economical to use vegetable oil or olive oil those are pretty reasonable (well maybe not olive oil but vegetable oil at least)

I am so glad you wrote this. I agree wholeheartedly.

I do see mineral oil and petroleum as cheap low-quality fillers that I don't want touching my hair.

I too lean toward natural ingredients in my products, the more the better.

Besides that, my hair hates mineral oil and petroleum ... and hangs horribly and styles badly. Awful stuff!

And for me it does interfere with my moisturizing. I was shocked to find Humectress has mineral oil (my hair likes it)...so now I'm looking for a replacement ... probably a paul mitchell product since Nexxus is having an identity crisis right now.

itismehmmkay

I'm so excited to hear that many ppl do have good results w/ MOil and Petro on wet hair. I've added Soft Touch grease to my daily wet buns. My hair is more moisturized after it dries...

And, I was about to say that SoftTouch grease was the only one that kept my natural hair tamed w/ curl definition. But I believe that it was actually another green grease: Softee. I need to go find it as its consistency is more like a pomade.

Sistaslick

trimbride said:
I will do everything I can to keep the stuff out of my hair. I am fanatic about it. I even write letters to my favorite hairlines to remove both mineral oil and petroleum/petrolatum from their ingredients. I think my hair thrives when I use natural oils. I don't mind cones, so far I think the weekly to biweekly clarifying takes care of those. Mineral Oil and petroleum have never improved the health of my hair.

I think it is funny though that some product lines will boast no mineral oil or petroleum on some of their items but you pick up another item in the line and it is one of the first ingredients. If they know it is not beneficial why put it into some of their products and not others. I think they are just being cheap and I am not going to pay the cost for that. To me wouldn't it be just as economical to use vegetable oil or olive oil those are pretty reasonable (well maybe not olive oil but vegetable oil at least)

Why did ORS just pop into my head? :lol: I saw this too and had to shake my head. They think they are slick. Guess, they still have to bank off both sides of the MO debate :lol:

What I can't wrap my mind around though is the use of mineral oil in a shampoo. Why? A conditioner, I can see, but a shampoo? How is it cleaning when its leaving an icky mineral oil film on the strands at the same time? Not like MO rinses clean. :lol: Then what about conditioning? How do you get the benefits of your conditioning after a poo like that? If an oil is used, why not something more hair friendly like almond or coconut oil? Costs I guess. :ohwell:

sassyhair

I dont try to avoid mineral oil or petroleum because I thought that the fear of it was overrated. I feel as long as you use it moderately and cleanse scalp frequently you will not have to worry about clogging of the pores.

*ElleB

I don't care for it. I remember back in the day I was a BIG fan of Razac Perfect for Perms creme Hairdress and Grease as well as Pink Lotion. I swore these were "good" products, and now we all know that they are chock full of mineral oil, petrolatum, and fragrance :lol: So anywhoo, from using those products, when it came time to wash my hair one day, the shampoo wouldn't even lather :eek: So no :nono: they are a nono for me. Mineral oil and petrolatum coat my strands, and block moisture, yuck!

Dymondz7

Well until I tried Dudley's Cream Press with both Petrolatum (what's that?), Mineral Oil and Lanolin I avoided all those ingredients like the plague. But so far it's the only thing that helps my hair to have sheen and fight humidity. I use it after my leave in conditioner and while my hair is wet. I don't use it when I wear my hair curly such as two strand twists. It's the only product I use with any of those ingredients.

Others with natural/texturized 4b hair, let me know if you've found a product w/o those things that add sheen and fights humidity. I would like to give it a try.

LovelyLionessa

I used to be mineral oil phobic once I started friequenting hair boards and hearing that it was supposed to be so bad for the hair. But now, I just use what works. I recently rediscovered Frizz Ease Extra Strength Serum which is a miracle worker on soaking wet hair, mineral oil is the last ingiredient in that product. And the love of my hair life, BB Oil Moisturizer contains some, no big deal as far as I'm concerned, since the other ingriedients are so good and effective. I also recently just purchased Elasta Glaze for my edges and that has mineral oil too. And my favorite conditioners contain it and there is no way no how I'm giving those babies up. :naughty:

Now petroleum on the other hand is still the major no-no product that I won't put in my hair. :nono:

SignatureBeauty

I don't care, I will use products with mineral oil in them, it has not harmed my hair nor my health and it works on my hair, I have come to learn that we are all different and have different hair and we have to use what works for our own hair, Some people can't use mineral oil and some can, I can and have no problem with build up or stunted growth, I have tried the all natural products to which most did not work.

I see alot of people say they will never use mineral oil but they will use products that have beeswax. But O well if it works for you then use it if it don't then stop using it. Because we all have our opinoins about mineral oil & petroleum. I don't think there is a Right or Wrong answer.

lashay06

It really dosen't matter to me. I use LIV when I need to brush my hair in a bun. It contains mineral oil, but I love how it tames my hair and is so much better than using gel, so if it works for you I'd say use it. :)

charmingt

From what I understand about mineral oil it is known for leeching all of the fat soluble vitamins (Vitamins A, D, E etc) out of your system. I avoid it contacting my skin as much as possible. I also never put baby oil on my children's skin when they were little even though it did smell good.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Well since I am trying to add moisture in my hair, I am leaning to no MO containing products.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My hair loves all the wrong stuff anyway, so why avoid something that makes my hair happy?;) Pink oil, dax grease, the list goes on and on!:lol:
I don't know why it works, it just does! Mineral oil does not clog my pores because I cowash 2-3Xs a week. This is another case of what works for some may not work for others.

supermodelsonya

Mineral oil has really gotten a bad rep somehow. If it doesn't work for you, that 's fine, but I've seen some women on the hair boards get ripped to pieces for using mineral oil. I think that's insane. I honestly don't care what products have Mineral oil in them or not. If my hair likes it then that's what I go for.

SignatureBeauty

If the product works then I will use it, I don't care about mineral oil, and I don't see how it clogs pores, just like shea butter it is all thick & greasy and some have said it clogs pores. I say if it works then use it, if it don't then don't use it. I will use Cones, SLS and anything else if it works and I ain't ashame to tell you if I do!

praisedancer

After joining this forum and hearing all the negative reviews on mineral oil I discontinued my use of them. But I came to realize what works for someone else will not always work for me b/c products free of mineral oil did nothing for my hair. So I went right back to using products w/ mineral oil.

blessedandlucky

I didn't care about mineral oil until I noticed the difference in my hair when I used products without it. for me, my hair isn't as dry as it used to be. BUT, a lit of the products that were used on my hair as a child contained mineral oil and petroleum and my hair always grew and retained length...to each their own.

Your Cheeziness

I, too avoided it jumping on bandwagons but mineral oil and I have no beef. lol. Some condishes I like contain it, my relaxers contain it, and I likee Keracare Headdress which has it. If my hair says yes, then I'm str8.

PatTodd

Hair wise I don't avoid it. My hair tends to like the products I have which contain it. I am a bit concerned about the reports that it is carcinogenic though. I think I should probably avoid it for that reason, but I have never put it on my scalp.

Vashti

I generally don't choose products with mineral oil but if I find that a product contains it and it works for me, I don't worry about it. I'm using the Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil (which has MO in it) and I follow up with SCurl moisturizer each night. So far, my hair is thriving. No issues as far as I can see. Everyone's hair is different.

PPGbubbles

I do care because since joining LHCF I avoided it like the plague....just the other week I used a product with it and my hair felt like straw!

Now I dont avoid SLSs anymore....my hair likes cones so i need SLS to avoid build up!

Chevelure618

I LOVED Botanicals Oil in the spray bottle. Then I started reading the fine print and saw that there was some mineral oil in it. I was so disappointed that I stopped using it. Even now I use it less. But My hair was so shiny and soft with it. I sometimes use it now, but not as freely as I did. One hairstylist told me that if it is low in the list of ingredients that it is probably OK.