Do you have a wig regimen?

onesoulsista

Whats The longest length of time I can keep my hair braided? I want to avoid tangling and matting. But braiding every week seems like to much manipulaton

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Isn't a satin cap, a wig cap, and the wig a lot on your head?

I don't wear the bulky satin cap most ladies sleep in. I wear a thin satin durag. The wig cap is paper thin as well. If those were too bulky, I'd probably look for satin wig cap (which I've tried I can't find it) and wear that alone. When I am wearing my wig no one can tell what I have on underneath. The wig is pretty flat to my head. My hair and caps I mean. I think the fact that my wig is a lace, makes a difference too. I am not wearing those old fashioned thick hair hats. If I did, I think that would make it bulky. I'm wearing it under the wig in the pic above. Here is my head in just my durag and cap. The black satin durag is sticking out a little.

Last edited:

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I am apart of the wig challenge (come on over, y'all!) and plan on wigging it all year to waist length!!

My regi:
I wash weekly:
1.Detangle in dry hair saturated with oil, braid detangled hair into sections
2.Wash hair with the braids still in.
3.Deep condition with heat, rinse
4.Towel dry
5.Apply leave In and seal, re-plait hair into sections.
6.Pin up plaits around my head so that they are laying flat. That's how I wear my hair under my wigs.

During the week:

1.Moisturize and seal plaits during week as needed.
2.Repeat the process weekly.

**** I leave no hair out when wearing wigs, just show some edges and slap on a headband. I will show pics below.

I am thinking about adding a midweek cowash, but well see....

NGraceO

Oh crap forgot :D I'll join in. I thought I was too late.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Whats The longest length of time I can keep my hair braided? I want to avoid tangling and matting. But braiding every week seems like to much manipulaton

If I wore braids, I probably wouldn't wear them longer than two weeks. I can't braid. I also do not like getting my hair braided at the African lady shop. No matter how many times I tell those fools "do not braid my hair tight" they braid it tight as hell and I'm left uncomfortable and with major headaches. I do flat twists. I can keep those longer, moisturize with them in and wash my hair with them in as well. I won't wear them longer than 7 days though.

Last edited:

NGraceO

Are all of those wigs? They can't be. They're glorious! I'm having such apprehension about trying wigs.

Yes, they're all wigs:) Thank you!! the curly is Creta girl by freetress, the kinky straight is a wig I made:)

Girl, try them!! My biggest concern is them looking natural, so that's my focus.....that and them looking conservative, for work.

NGraceO

lux10023

i use wen 613---i wrote all of that and didn't even include this part lol

i use wen 613 to wash my braids every 10 days--as to not have build up---which cleans but doesn't strip---i dont like to manipulate the braids to much because i am deathly afraid of matting...my hair is thick and dense so

Whats your wash routine while in wigs

KaramelDiva1978

Y'all have me wig feenin'! I ordered my wig and its held up at FedEx due to this crazy snowstorm weather we're having. I need my shorty 'do. I plan on doing 4-5 "Felicia braids" and covering in my wig. Its a simple regi and I need to thicken my hair and retain my ends for some serious growth this year.

djkforeal

I will chime in...I have been wearing human hair lace fronts and full lace wigs for a few years now, I don't like the synthetic ones too much but they do have more styles in the synthetic wigs, all I do is either cornrow or flat twist my hair underneath and make sure I keep my scalp moisturized with either grease or scalp treatment. I am trying to get back to re-braiding every 2 weeks because if I leave them in for a month they get too matted and I feel like I am losing so much hair because all of the 100 natural shedding hairs come out when I take my braids down, so that is what gets all matted in the braids at the roots. I like to braid my hair as flat as possible especially in the front so that I don't have any lumps or bumps going on under the wig. If I have a very curly style then I don't mind too much how small the braids are because volume is good with those styles, but with straight styles which I prefer more , I like it to be very flat underneath the unit so I will braid smaller braids. It is good to keep a good protein and moisture balance for your hair under the wigs. I use natural shampoos, conditioners and stylers execpt for the Aphogee. I like to spray the Aphogee Keratin and green tea spray for protein and I like Jane Carter Solutions leave in for moisture. I also grease my scalp with Natures Blessings. I wear wig caps and find that they can be damaging to the hair, so I am thinking of making my own silk or satin wig caps because I have not been able to find any that you can buy either. I just ordered a unit from bestlacewigs.com which is a glueless full lace wig and it should be arriving next week or two.
HTH

FollicleFanatic

I generally use curly half wigs so i can flat twist the front w/o blending or untwist for easy blending. Also don't have to worry about the tell tale wig hairline.

I usually oil/grease my scalp every other day, spray w/something moisturizing daily and make sure my ends are heavily m&sed daily. Depending on what i use and how heavy handed i apply prods might feel a bit heavy after 2-3 wks, but i don't have nearly as much matting and tangling this way.

To make my flat twists lay flatter I do them straight back in a fan shape along my head. Kinda like the rapper Xhibit but smaller. Hope that makes sense. Also for half wigs I make a flat twist across my head to anchor the comb and heavily oil it so the comb will slide out without pulling. I do not use the back combs, the front comb and perimeter elastic does a good enough job holding the wig in place.

I don't use reg wig caps, they gave me headaches and damaged my hair. I'll wear a satin durag or nothing at all.

Last edited: