Do you have a wig regimen?

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
what are you doing with your hair underneath those wigs and are you retaining length? Trying to figure out a wig regi for me.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I wear like 4 big cornrows underneath. If my mom does them she does 6-8. I spray my braids daily with aloe/glycerin/olive oil and sleep in a bonnet at night. I cowash my braids every 2 weeks and I redo the braids as needed. I usually cowash with hello hydration or aussie moist.

I do my wig regimen for up to 3 months at a time then I get a dominican blowout so I can enjoy my hair for a few weeks :)

cutiebe2

I still do the Lady Paniolo method and my hair feels so good when I take the cornrows out at the end of the month. Basically you cornrow your hair with conditioner in it and seal (oil). You can seach Lady Paniolo for a few long threads that will give you tons of info

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I M&S twice a day (once in the a.m. before I put it on for work) and in the p.m. when I get home.

I tuck & pin hair underneath after my M&S.

I do my hair x2 per week consisting of detangling/removing Sheds, Cowashing, a light Reconstructor, Steam RX (with Moisture) and then it's pinned & tucked away.

Queensheba88

Beehive wash/dc once a week m/s seal w. Scurl and oil rebraid every month I retained great length in my siggie pic from February to August and I plan on using this to get back to shoulder length

lux10023

go to the salon and get my hair it braided in 10 cornrows...every two months---one time i waited for 3 months and the take down was ummm difficult

i moisturize the heck outta my hair but not overload

i have a mixture of vo5 strawberries and cream, glycerin, castor oil, infusion 23 leave-in and grapeseed oil in a bottle with a nozzle i dont overload my scalp with this mixture i concentrate more on my braids....i only put this mixture on slighty damp hair fresh out of my showers...and i do this twice a week--- in btwn i just slight moisturize with splash of water while in the shower

i also use old condoners with water and apply at times as well--sometimes i just use oil

i moisturize my edges everyday as that is the area that is delicate---Vaseline on the edges is a god send

i do not wear a wig cap of any kind because the pressure of the wig alone is enough-plus my hair is so thick and dense that is keeps the wig in place via the wig combs and my scalp needs some type of air--i dont want scalp problems due to to much moisture-like fungus or etc

i wear synthetic and hh lacefront/full lace wigs

i wash my hh wigs but never my synthetic i use the wen 613 spray on my synthetic wigs and they revive that bad boy back to life...

i alternate work wigs and going out wigs--i buy 4 of all of the wigs i like--i wear 4 styles in 2 diff colors....i also have house wigs that i wear so that i can extend the life of all of my wigs by not wearing to much

i find the brands i like and stock up---brand go out of business all the time--aint nothing like being shocked that your brand has been discontinued--aka wig shock! lol

onesoulsista

go to the salon and get my hair it braided in 10 cornrows...every two months---one time i waited for 3 months and the take down was ummm difficult

i moisturize the heck outta my hair but not overload

i have a mixture of vo5 strawberries and cream, glycerin, castor oil, infusion 23 leave-in and grapeseed oil in a bottle with a nozzle i dont overload my scalp with this mixture i concentrate more on my braids....i only put this mixture on slighty damp hair fresh out of my showers...and i do this twice a week--- in btwn i just slight moisturize with splash of water while in the shower

i also use old condoners with water and apply at times as well--sometimes i just use oil

i moisturize my edges everyday as that is the area that is delicate---Vaseline on the edges is a god send

i do not wear a wig cap of any kind because the pressure of the wig alone is enough-plus my hair is so thick and dense that is keeps the wig in place via the wig combs and my scalp needs some type of air--i dont want scalp problems due to to much moisture-like fungus or etc

i wear synthetic and hh lacefront/full lace wigs

i wash my hh wigs but never my synthetic i use the wen 613 spray on my synthetic wigs and they revive that bad boy back to life...

i alternate work wigs and going out wigs--i buy 4 of all of the wigs i like--i wear 4 styles in 2 diff colors....i also have house wigs that i wear so that i can extend the life of all of my wigs by not wearing to much

i find the brands i like and stock up---brand go out of business all the time--aint nothing like being shocked that your brand has been discontinued--aka wig shock! lol
Whats your wash routine while in wigs

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I'll give a tip of my own for you ladies. I never ever wear the stocking cap by itself on my hair. That material breaks my hair off, so I wear a silk durag or silk satin cap over my hair after moisturizing, then on top of the silk cap, I'll put the stocking cap.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@PinkSunshine77

Be Careful not to tie your Du-Rag ties too tight.

I had a 'situation' where I realized (a little too late) that I had been tying the long strings too tight and suffered some breakage around that area where I had tightly double-tied the strings.

So, I had to nurse that area to get it back on track.

So, be extra gentle tying those ties.

lamaria211

I get my mommy to corn braid my hair I keep them in for 2 weeks at a time. I wash and DC weekly, M&S daily and oil my scalp x3 a week

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
@PinkSunshine77

Be Careful not to tie your Du-Rag ties too tight.

I had a 'situation' where I realized (a little too late) that I had been tying the long strings too tight and suffered some breakage around that area where I had tightly double-tied the strings.

So, I had to nurse that area to get it back on track.

So, be extra gentle tying those ties.

I can't stand them too tight. Gives me headaches. Thanks for the info. Hopefully it can help others too.

Saga

The Generous Queen
When I was natural under my wigs I wore chunky braids, would moisturize with water and whatever leave-in I had at the time (Right now its the garnier fructis sleek and shine) and seal the ends of the braids with coconut or avocado oil. I wouldn't do this everyday just as needed. I also sport a du-rag beneath my wig cap to prevent it from pulling my edges.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to maintain healthy hair beneath my wigs now that it's relaxed/texlaxed. As of right now I'm air drying my freshly washed hair wish a satin scarf tied securely but not too tightly around my edges to lay them down while the hair dries. I have 2 u part wigs coming in the mail, one straight ad on curly. I plan to cornrow my hair underneath to give the u part an anchoring braid and moisturize with diluted suave coconut conditioner with avocado oil and Aloe Vera Juice and spray my Aphogee Keratin Leave-In after every wash.

Nayna

Unbothered
I will do about 12-15 hanging twists and put them in a single French braid and tuck it in or pull it up and tuck it in. I prefer moisturizing that way. I make my own wigs so I make it tight enough so that I don't have to add clips or make an anchor braid. I don't want to have to put stress on any parts of my hair. I usually do the loc method and I moisturize my hair every night. If I have a leave out for the wig I do the same thing. Loc method and heavy moisturizing at night.

I'm doing very well with retention like this. I'm trying to keep this up till around May and I've been wigging it since September. I don't wear a separate stocking cap but I do suggest that if you are going to wear a lace closure sew a protective layer into it, those things are devilishly itchy.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Thus thread could not have come at a better time...I was getting breakage and mid shafts when I would have my hair cornrowed for my wigs and could not figure out for the life of me why. So I started getting beehive braided but still not helping. Then someone told me it was the darn stocking cap!!! I'm going to get me a silk scarf and use that then put stocking cap and my wig! Gr8 thread OP.

Willow00

I corn roll my hair back (6 braids), put on a silk beanie cap, put on a stocking cap, and then put on my wig. I wash my hair every other week and oil as needed. Works great for me. :)

mscurly

This thread is so on time. I'm getting back into wearing wigs for the whole winter. A few years back I wore wigs from Nov-April and went from bsl to mbl I retained a good amount.

I shampooed my hair weekly and co-washed once midweek. M&S every day with leave-in and shea butter. I only use shea butter when I wear my hair in braids, it's too heavy normally but perfect to keep my hair moisturized under braids.

I found that routine to really help me retain length. I've been getting real lazy with my hair leaving it in a bun for days/weeks at a time. Which caused a lot of breakage and split ends.

I'm going to shampoo my hair and put in a good deep treatment and start getting wiggy with it again lol

NGraceO

I am apart of the wig challenge (come on over, y'all!) and plan on wigging it all year to waist length!!

My regi:
I wash weekly:
1.Detangle in dry hair saturated with oil, braid detangled hair into sections
2.Wash hair with the braids still in.
3.Deep condition with heat, rinse
4.Towel dry
5.Apply leave In and seal, re-plait hair into sections.
6.Pin up plaits around my head so that they are laying flat. That's how I wear my hair under my wigs.

During the week:

1.Moisturize and seal plaits during week as needed.
2.Repeat the process weekly.

**** I leave no hair out when wearing wigs, just show some edges and slap on a headband. I will show pics below.

I am thinking about adding a midweek cowash, but well see....

NGraceO

Attachments

• image-3181343803.jpg
    image-3181343803.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image-502501355.jpg
    image-502501355.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image-3181390081.jpg
    image-3181390081.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3995871613.jpg
    image-3995871613.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 81

MrsMelodyV

I am apart of the wig challenge (come on over, y'all!) and plan on wigging it all year to waist length!!

My regi:
I wash weekly:
1.Detangle in dry hair saturated with oil, braid detangled hair into sections
2.Wash hair with the braids still in.
3.Deep condition with heat, rinse
4.Towel dry
5.Apply leave In and seal, re-plait hair into sections.
6.Pin up plaits around my head so that they are laying flat. That's how I wear my hair under my wigs.

During the week:

1.Moisturize and seal plaits during week as needed.
2.Repeat the process weekly.

**** I leave no hair out when wearing wigs, just show some edges and slap on a headband. I will show pics below.

I am thinking about adding a midweek cowash, but well see....

NGraceO

Are all of those wigs? They can't be. They're glorious! I'm having such apprehension about trying wigs.

Michelle1971

I need to change my regi.
I wash my hair every few days and the last time I kept my braids in for 16 days and my braid takedown was not fun :( (I had 8 cornrows)
For now I have my hair in two braids and I am like NgraceO and just slap on a headband with some edges out, lol.
I have to take my braids down once a week, maybe 10 days max. Anything longer will result in a matted mess.
I spray my hair with s-curl daily and I put castor oil on my edges.