To grease or Not to grease your scalp

glamchick84

Okay LHCF, I am a newbie (well kinda) and I have lotzzz of questions:yep:! I joined back in 05-06 but I fell off the bandwagon horribly lol. But, now I am back!!! Sometimes I wonder how much growth I would have retained if I would have stuck with it?:scratchch

So my first question is how often do you grease your scalp? If so what products do you use? Or if you don't grease, what do you do for moisture and what products do you use? And lastly how often do you do it?:rolleyes:

Also someone suggested greasing my scalp twice a day with dr miracles, any suggestions?:rolleyes:

Nonie

I don't grease or apply anything to my scalp. It's funny but if you stop applying stuff on your scalp, your pores remember how to produce sebum to keep your scalp from feeling dry. It may take a couple of days or so for you to get used to the feeling of no products on your scalp, but after a while, you'll love that clean feeling. :yep:

I personally don't use anything at all on my hair most of the times. (I only ever use anything when wearing my hair out and only because I need something to provide slip for my comb to glide through my hair.) So even when I baggy, the only "moisture" my hair gets is my scalp's own sebum...well and the coating I get from conditioners when I shampoo or CW my hair.

MA2010

I agree with Nonie. I don't apply anything to my scalp anymore. If I am in dire need I have ORS Dry Scalp Relief Oil. The last time I used it was in August. Try not using grease on the scalp and see ho your scalp likes it.

LushLox

I'm so glad that there isn't a real need to grease your scalp, I was never that consistent with doing it. :eek:

LunadeMiel

I don't grease my scalp. I at night I masage my scalp with my oil mix. In the morning I cowash so It doesn't even stay on for that long. I love having a clean scalp.

angelp

I stopped applying grease to my scalp and it's one of the best things I've done. My scalp feels "cleaner" and my hair is less weighed down. I have a lot more body to my hair now. I just take flax oil and evening primrose and that helps tremendously with my dry scalp. If I absolutely need something because my scalp feels dry, I'll either wash or put a little oil on my fingertips and do a scalp massage.

glamchick84

thanks for the replies ladies! so what can i use for moisture? i have dry brittle hair that keeps breaking off:wallbash:.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
I've never applied anything to my scalp, it always felt disgusting to me... but if i did it would be something natural like coconut oil or jojoba oil

Blessed_Angel

To each it's own, but I don't use grease anymore; I just use the term. I moisturize my scalp with Jane Carter's N&S when it's really dry. And if I want something really like, I'll use Vatika Frosting which is made from Vatika Oil.

Oh, and welcome back to the board. Hopefully, you can stick to your haircare goals this time. I wish you the best.

BeautifulFlower

It works for some...doesnt work for others. I think greasing your scalp makes you hair dirty and itchy alot faster but its not such a bad thing.

C.Nicole

Girl, put that grease down and find a good leave-in or moisture product or both.. I thought I was doing myself former dry scalp some good by slapping grease and oils in it.. But lo and behold, the dryness & dandruff ceased when I left the grease alone.

trj1922

I do oil my scalp but not because it is dry. It's actually oily as all outdoors! I only started oiling it a few months ago when I found some hairdressings with certain herbal extracts that I wanted to use to address hair loss. I wanted hair to cover my scalp more than I wanted my scalp squeaky clean. Carrier oils are the easiest way to apply the herbs. I agree that generally speaking, your oil glands do fine to keep your scalp moist without any intervention.

LadyKaypnyc

I have eczema on my scalp and I still don't feel the need to apply anything to my scalp daily. I apply coconut oil on sunday, let it marinate overnight and never apply anything else for the rest of the week, and I cowash daily. Putting a little once a week and allowing it to absorb is enough. I wash and my scalp never feels dry...I hate having that oily, greasing sticky feeling. Makes me feel like I'm suffocating my scalp :nono:

Anna9764

I agree different strokes for different folks. I keep some type of oil or grease in my hair. My hair actually breaks without it, they act as a PROTECTOR on my hair. Growing up my mother used bergamonts green and/or blue and I always had long thick thick hair. As I got older I started using cream oils such as hair food pink jar black top, no longer for sale :nono:. I've since used ORS olive and carrot cream hairdresses and also Liv on occassion. I keep liquid oils in my braids such as Amla, Vatika etc. Still sometimes I need a thicker cream hairdress...I also think my hair is used to it now. Gonna start back with the bergamonts in the back of my hair now as well as the ends, I keep getting breakage. And they really don't prevent any of my growth.

Anna9764

Okay LHCF, I am a newbie (well kinda) and I have lotzzz of questions:yep:! I joined back in 05-06 but I fell off the bandwagon horribly lol. But, now I am back!!! Sometimes I wonder how much growth I would have retained if I would have stuck with it?:scratchch

So my first question is how often do you grease your scalp? If so what products do you use? Or if you don't grease, what do you do for moisture and what products do you use? And lastly how often do you do it?:rolleyes:

Also someone suggested greasing my scalp twice a day with dr miracles, any suggestions?:rolleyes:
My advice to you glamchick84...would be to listen to your hair, do whats best for your hair...Not what I or anyone else does, because our hair is different and has different needs. I read somewhere on the net or a thread that ORS carrot oil cream hairdress is good for the scalp and moisture in the hair as well as growth. I use it sometimes...I need a new jar. Good luck :yep: Anna

pmichael52172

I JUST started a thread about this a few days ago. I had been greasing nearly all my life and after a recent increase of itchy and flaky scalp buildup (more than usual), I thought I'd ditch the grease for one week and see what happened. Not a flake in sight!!!!

I've decided to stop greasing the SCALP and keep putting shea butter pomade on my hair only. I do this in the morning with a little oil as I unwrap my hair and do a little massage on the scalp, style and go. Before bed, I put a little pomade in my hands and rub my strands as a wrap it up for bed.

My scalp can get dry so to combat that, I add a little oil to my conditioner before I sit under the dryer. I rinse out VERY well (which I wasn't doing before) then put in a leave-in conditioner (add a bit more oil if you want - I don't) and get under the dryer again for setting and styling. Your strands are still nourished and your scalp is free from buildup.

As someone said before, do what is best for YOU. Cater to what YOUR hair/scalp likes. I listened to mine and now I believe it is starting to produce it's own sebum again.

zanna

My personal opinion: not to grease your scalp. You can massage oil in your scalp before you wash and put oil in your hair only(not your scalp) after you wash.
Zanna

glamchick84

thanks ladies, i decided to stay away from greasing my scalp. it's just that some people believe that greasing your scalp daily works(not to say that it doesn't). but personally, i hate the way grease makes my scalp and hair feel. i can't stand the oily build up. i like for my hair to be soft, light, and breezy lol. but i decided to stick to leave in conditioners and i'm hoping to try coconut oil soon(once i find it). but once again thanks for the advice

ctosha

I used to grease my scalp with the stuff with all the petroleum and mineral oil in it but now I may use JBCO or Natures Blessings to grease my scalp. My scalp needs something on it. I jumped on the bandwagon of not greasing my scalp a while ago and my hair shedded more than usual but my hair was still thick. But ever since Ive began greasing my scalp again my shedding is normal for the lenght of my hair. My point is that i use natural oils to grease my scalp with.

MizzBrown

Yeah i tried that NOT greasing your scalp thing..My scalp actually had scales. It was so dry and tight and looked like fish scales...similar to being ashy. My scalp was literally ashy.

I think of my scalp like the rest of my skin. I wouldn't leave the house without putting on some lotion to protect and moisturize my skin so why not my scalp??

I don't walk out the house without putting some moisturizer on my face, so why not protect my scalp?

I'll be greasin' my scalp til death.

SimpleKomplexity

The only problem I have with greasing my scalp is that I have very thin and limp hair. When I apply grease, it gets very very flat, and it has no body. It's not very attractive. It also caused very very bad dandruff for me. Since I stopped using grease and letting my hair do it's on thing, I haven't seen a flake and my hair has stopped being so limp. I do put MN on my scalp at times so I guess that is greasing my scalp