Do You Ever Feel Like Your Two-Strand Twist Aren't Growing?

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
I have been two strand twisting my hair wet for a year now and sometimes I feel like my hair is not growing. I know it is because my afro is becoming increasingly larger. And I know my shrinkage is like 75%. But sometimes I feel like my twists are at the same length.

Do any of you have this phenomena? Do your wet twist seem like the same length even though your hair has grown a lot?

Baggettcindy

YES!!!! Then sometimes I feel better when I look at someone else's shrinkage and how long thier twist are when they pull one down thier back. I am only straightening my hair every few months and this year I will still search and destroy, but I am going to try and not clip my ends....oh and eat healthy and work out.

NaturalLibra

yep It's only by stretching of looking at my full fro that i notice a difference. my twists only look a little longer than when I started.

LovelyNaps26

yes. when i blow out my hair and then twist i feel like i'm wearing extensions. :lol: if i wet twist my hair, i will stretch the after they dry by grouping some together and making 6-8 braids.

SND411

yes. when i blow out my hair and then twist i feel like i'm wearing extensions. :lol: if i wet twist my hair, i will stretch the after they dry by grouping some together and making 6-8 braids.

You see, I do not stretch them. What is the length difference between when you stretch them and when you don't? Then how long when you blow dry?

~~HoneyComb~~

Yes---doesn't matter how long my hair gets, my twists are always about shoulder length.

My DDs hair is a little past HL straightened/stretched, and her twists today are right at APL.

ETA: I can see it's going to take me a lot more growth to see any length change in my twist based on my DDs hair.

Last edited:

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Yup, and I was just thinking about this today. I like to twist my hair on dry, stretched hair now. My hair is only NL but when I twist on dry, stretched hair, I get a little hang time and can even "whip my hair back and forth".

SND411

Yes---doesn't matter how long my hair gets, my twists are always about shoulder length.

My DDs hair is a little past HL straightened/stretched, and her twists today are right at APL.

ETA: I can see it's going to take me a lot more growth to see any length change in my twist based on my DDs hair.

And I thought I was the only one! LOL

faithVA

Last Jan 2010 my twists hung right above my eyebrow. Its now Feb 2011 my twists still hang right above my eyebrow. I have tried doing them on stretched hair, but after I put my hair up at night, not matter how much I stretch them they shrink up at night leaving them right above my eyebrows in the morning.

When I pull my twists in the front they come right below my bottom lip. I've tried all types of things to stretch them on dry and wet hair but no luck yet.

SND411

Last Jan 2010 my twists hung right above my eyebrow. Its now Feb 2011 my twists still hang right above my eyebrow. I have tried doing them on stretched hair, but after I put my hair up at night, not matter how much I stretch them they shrink up at night leaving them right above my eyebrows in the morning.

When I pull my twists in the front they come right below my bottom lip. I've tried all types of things to stretch them on dry and wet hair but no luck yet.

You see, this is why I made this thread because it seems like compared to last year, my twists appear relatively the same length, although I know my hair is growing because my afro looks much more huge than before.

faithVA

You see, this is why I made this thread because it seems like compared to last year, my twists appear relatively the same length, although I know my hair is growing because my afro looks much more huge than before.

Do you measure your hair on a regular basis. I don't measure too often but I do pull the twist down at the end of each month to get some idea of the length.

There are a lot of posts on stretching the hair for twists perhaps one of those suggestions will work for you.

Nonie

Do any of you have this phenomena? Do your wet twist seem like the same length even though your hair has grown a lot?

My loose hair does that; it shrinks to between 1-2 inches no matter what the stretched length is.

My twists shrink but not to the same length they were when my hair was shorter. But I braided my hair in-between the two lengths so I don't know if my twists will help me retain the way braids do. I guess I'll know for sure by as the year goes by. Top pics show shorter bangs on SL hair (2006/2007); Bottom pics show longer bangs on APL hair (2010)

ETA: My twists in 2004 :grin:

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

Yep. :yep: I'm right there with you. I was looking at my twists and I can see a little growth while wet but when those puppies dry they shrink right up. My ends are creeping along and I remember Chicoro's point about lead hairs so I'm fighting the urge to trim. It's annoying me that the ends of my twists are starting to get longer and a little thinner. Is anyone else experiencing that as their hair grows too?

Nonie

Yep. :yep: I'm right there with you. I was looking at my twists and I can see a little growth while wet but when those puppies dry they shrink right up. My ends are creeping along and I remember Chicoro's point about lead hairs so I'm fighting the urge to trim. It's annoying me that the ends of my twists are starting to get longer and a little thinner. Is anyone else experiencing that as their hair grows too?

I haven't noticed that. But I'm back to my 8 weeks trimming schedule and I have been trying to moisturize them instead of leaving them bare as I prefer and always have.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I guess I'm alone in that I like that my twists still shrink up when done on wet hair. It will be especially nice for the summer since I don't like hair on my neck when it's sweltering hot.

Nonie

I guess I'm alone in that I like that my twists still shrink up when done on wet hair. It will be especially nice for the summer since I don't like hair on my neck when it's sweltering hot.

No, you're not alone in liking it. I love shrinkage in all its forms. If my twists didn't shrink, I think they'd not only look thin but they'd be at an awkward length. I love that they shrink to a kind of chin bob:

Fine 4s

OOOOOOOOOOOH YES!
I can't wait to do them in the next couple of weeks to see if I notice a difference.
I think I only have one twist pic to compare which was taken last year if not 2 years ago.

Nonie,
I love how you took your pics using the light in the background to hide your face. Cool.

Nonie

Nonie,
I love how you took your pics using the light in the background to hide your face. Cool.

I'm glad you got it. I sent the same pic to a girl whom I had told I wore my twists down and she wanted to see how far they hang. She was like "I can't see anything. Your face is all blacked out." :lachen: "Er...that was the plan, Silly!" :lol:

SND411

Are the twists in your siggy done on blowdried hair?

aa9746

Your twists look good! I wish my hair would shrink like yours:yep: My hair shrinks a lot.

Napp

Ms. Nobody

yep i love my shrunken twists.they look better on a blunt cut unlike the layers i have now...i cant stand hair on my neck either. i would love to wear chunky shoulder length twists. that would be lovley.

Nonie

^^KCcurly GORGEOUS!

I'ma just come out and say it: I'm hating!!! How da bloody hell can your hair look so full when stretched and even have the audacity to behave like normal hair and look even fuller when shrunken. I had already decided you were alien and was dealing with that idea well when I learned the full siggy was stretched. I was hoping that when your twists shrink they'd do some weird alien morphing like stand up and look sparse like Coolio's braids and here you are flaunting a gorgeous head of chunky and illegally full twists.

This is so painful to look at :cry4: that I feel a song coming on...

Just gonna stand there and watch me burn (with envy <--background singers),
that's alright because I love the way they hang....
♪♪

I'll get over it...I'll be OK as soon as I go back to my alien angle of thinking.