Naturals Who Blow Dry and Flat Iron...

When do you use a heat protectant?

• I add a heat protectant before blow drying only...

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • I add a heat protectant before flat ironing only...

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I'm not taking any chances so I use a heat protectant before each the blow out and flat iron

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Heat protectant? I don't use one.

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

loulou82

To those naturals who blow dry and flat iron, at what point in the process do you add heat protectant? Before the blow out, before the flat iron, or before both?

If you apply a heat protectant before you blow dry is it neccessary to add more right before flat ironing? I'm wondering if I getting any benefit by applying heat protectant a second time or can I go directly from the blow out to the press.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i always apply a light additional coating. like really just less than a dime size amount for each section (i always have four).

Kash

i apply a spray-on heat protectant before i blow dry and then i apply a small amount of chi silk infusion to each section before i flat iron. and i have no heat damage.

loulou82

Thanks Rocky. I'm trying to figure out the best technique. I've gotten much better at flat ironing but it's not salon quality yet. I'm wondering it I'm adding to much product during the process.

loulou82

i apply a spray-on heat protectant before i blow dry and then i apply a small amount of chi silk infusion to each section before i flat iron. and i have no heat damage.

Thanks. When you say small amount, how small are we talking? I'm apply about 1/2 a pea-sized amount of Redken Smooth Glide Serum to each one inch section before flat ironing. I think that may be overkill :ohwell:.

ms.blue

I use chi silk infusion when I blow dry and use got2b lotion to flatiron. I have four different heat protectant that I switch up, trying to find the right combination.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
Thanks Rocky. I'm trying to figure out the best technique. I've gotten much better at flat ironing but it's not salon quality yet. I'm wondering it I'm adding to much product during the process.
yep-the amount of product is key for me!:yep:
my fine hair gets weighed down so easily. i experimented on blow-drying for my valentine's day blowout with just a dime-size of moisturizer and a quarter size amount of serum for my whole head, and it turned out so light.

Kash

Thanks. When you say small amount, how small are we talking? I'm apply about 1/2 a pea-sized amount of Redken Smooth Glide Serum to each one inch section before flat ironing. I think that may be overkill :ohwell:.

ok. by small amount i mean, i squeeze out the chi into a can top and i dip my index finger in the silk infusion one time and take that amount and rub it into the length of my hair strand. and my hair comes out silky smooth and bouncy. i used the smooth glide before but it was too heavy for my fine tresses.

BlackMasterPiece

They make spray heat protectants? Can someone recommend one?
This is what I use, I use this for the flat ironing because it gives m a weightless finish:yep:

Kneechay

I use this

It's a heat protectant and straightener polish. I swear by it. It creates a great shine when I flat iron.

I apply a bit while my hair is wet, right before I blow dry and i apply a bit all over the hair right before I flat iron. It doesn't wear my hair down.

A lot of people keep talking about my hair is wavy, but i dont think it is really, this is what it looks like before flat ironing: (talk about shrinkage)

and this is after (July/August 09 pic) - sorry its kinda small.

I have been thinking of testing out the Fantasia IC spray, I keep hearing so much about it, but I feel so loyal to Smooth n Shine.

Last edited:

loulou82

Thanks for all the responses. I may switch it up and use my serum on wet hair before blow drying and lightly misting my four sections with my spray protectant. I may also have to turn up the heat. I've been too cautious to go above 350 but I may crank up my iron to 400 degrees if I want sleeker results. :look:

ETA: I like Motions Heat Seeker Protectant Spray.

MRJ1972

Silk Elements Heat Protectant works well...My sis even uses it on her weave...and it doesn't weigh the hair down...

Kneechay

I agree with you two, BMP & Loulou. I was too scared to go over 320 at one time, but now I'm at 370-390 if I got to. This ain't a game!!!

RubyWoo

That is way too much. For salon quality results, you need to follow the instructions on the bottle considering Heat glide is a salon product. I have redken heat glide as well and I only use the amount as directed on the bottle. It is very concentrated and a little really goes a long way. My fav heat protectant is Paul Mitchell Super skinny serum and I apply it on airdried hair before flat ironing. I also find that using a liquid or light leave in helps me achieve straight hair with some body/movement.

Last edited:
I just g0t the treseme heat tamer spray.. I tried serums but they weigh my hair down.. I sprayed bef0re I bl0wdry "& bef0re i flatir0n.. it smells great "& my hair has s0 much body!! idk abt damage yet.. we'll see when im ready for curls..

CenteredGirl

I guess I'm old school. I apply a light coating of oil (castor, shea and lanolin mix) before I blowdry. I don't need to add any more if I press.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Smooth n shine products rock! :yep: I must say that when I used the S&S products exclusively, my hair flourished. It's time to go back to the ole drawing board!:lachen:

TyHill21

Can-Nee what spray on do you use? I am looking to switch ( I currently use one from Motions)

This is exactly what I do- my damage is very minimal

Kash

Can-Nee what spray on do you use? I am looking to switch ( I currently use one from Motions)

This is exactly what I do- my damage is very minimal

hi tyhill! i'm currently using aveda brilliant damage control.
ever since i've been using this my hair comes out silky smooth and when my hair is in its natural state i get complete shrinkage so i know my kinks are not being damaged.:yep:

CocoGlow

I guess I'm old school. I apply a light coating of oil (castor, shea and lanolin mix) before I blowdry. I don't need to add any more if I press.

CenteredGirl...

do you notice any heat damage at all (stringy strands that don't revert completely)?

I'm asking b/c I know the key ingredient in heat protectants are silicones and I wonder if thick sealing oils like the ones you listed (castor, shea & lanolin) will provide the same protection but have the advantage of being easier to wash off..hmmm

Also what is the ratio of the oils used in your mix (1:1:1, etc)?

CenteredGirl

CenteredGirl...

do you notice any heat damage at all (stringy strands that don't revert completely)? Not at all. I only put on about a dime size for my whole head (in sections)

I'm asking b/c I know the key ingredient in heat protectants are silicones and I wonder if thick sealing oils like the ones you listed (castor, shea & lanolin) will provide the same protection but have the advantage of being easier to wash off..hmmm My mom used them when I was growing up and my hair was past BSL. I've tried silicones and they make my hair hard to the touch. A little bit of my special mix goes a long, long way. After I put it on my hair, my hands still gleam with oil. I've been on boards forever, and I've tried everything. Nothing works for me like the basics and it took my nearly 7 years to figure that out.:ohwell:

Also what is the ratio of the oils used in your mix (1:1:1, etc)?
1:Shea, .5 Castor and .25 lanolin oil). It looks like a smooth past that is easy to spread on damp hair.

CocoGlow

1:Shea, .5 Castor and .25 lanolin oil). It looks like a smooth past that is easy to spread on damp hair.

Thanks .. sounds like a great mix! I'm not great w/ measurements so I'm guessing it's primarily shea butter w/ a little bit of castor oil & a teeny bit of lanolin :spinning:

It sounds like it is doing the job of protecting your hair well now & in the past (BSL as a child-I wish!!)

Where would one purchase lanolin? Do you order it online or get it locally?

I'll PM you for mre details on your routine :yep:

CenteredGirl

Thanks .. sounds like a great mix! I'm not great w/ measurements so I'm guessing it's primarily shea butter w/ a little bit of castor oil & a teeny bit of lanolin :spinning:

It sounds like it is doing the job of protecting your hair well now & in the past (BSL as a child-I wish!!)

Where would one purchase lanolin? Do you order it online or get it locally?

I'll PM you for mre details on your routine :yep:

Your sense of formula is on point!:grin:
I get mine online http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=LANO

LAST forever. I don't think I'll need to buy it for another 10 years.