Do it yourselfers--motivation? key moment?

Desert Skye

jasmin said:
glossy..do you do your own touch ups?

Nope I only style my hair and color my own hair. I wish I could do my own touch ups but to be honest I am too afraid. But I go to a Dominican Salon and they do a good job at touch ups.

Last edited:

Jewell

Key moment: When I had my stylist apply a jet black hair color to my medium-light brown hair and she missed an area in the front and an area along my nape...there was an obvious color difference. I didn't realize it until like a week later. That happened with two different stylists. I figure why pay someone to do a half ass job when I can buy the color, do it my self, and spend $6-7 (for the price of 2 boxes of color). Same for relaxers: I had to practically restyle my hair after a stylist rushed through my doobie wrap and it came out all puffy...trims: everyone cut too much...I trim my own now.

jasmin

Same for relaxers: I had to practically restyle my hair after a stylist rushed through my doobie wrap and it came out all puffy...trims: everyone cut too much...I trim my own now.

Same here...I had to always wash and condition afterwards. After awhile I was done with the stylist cutting my hair off. The minute I stop doing that my hair got longer. 3 years after saying no to the triming to every stylist I encounter I stop going altogether. Got tired of the bad service. I've only had 2 great beauticians that I would go back to. One had a really bad case of carpal tunnel and the other left town to get away from her husband.

I could never find a stylist to talk to me about the health of my hair. Not one explained the benefits of moisture daily, and proper hair care maintenence.

Also, no one could ever style my hair the way I liked..it always looked too "fixed" I got tired of everyone in the salon staring at me like I was crazy while I finger combed thru my hair to get "my look"

Final straw: After growing my hair from a shag (thats a whole other story) cut, my hair was just above the shoulders. My stylist said I needed a trim, trusting, I allowed her to trim. She cut off a good two inches and left me with an ear legenth bob!! I was like, NO SHE DIDN'T. I was practically in tears as everyone kept asking, "Why did you cut your hair....again" (remember the shag?)

So I made a promise to never to allow a stylst to trim my hair. I do that myself. The only time I allow them to use scissors is for a CUT/STYLE and when I do get that done, I ask them to show me the angles so I can trim it myself!

balisi

I received one scalp burn too many from relaxer creme applied by a stylist. I realized that I was getting burned because the stylist would scrape my sensitive scalp as she combed through my hair prior to the chemical service. Also, they would slap the creme directly onto my scalp. I reasoned that I could do it better myself. Also, the last relaxer I recall getting "professionally" done left my hair underprocessed in parts. It was the worst relaxer I'd ever gotten. By the time I stopped relaxing my hair over a year ago, I had become expert at doing so, with NO scalp burns or irritation and great results.

Queenie

I never got the styles I would ask for and I knew that I could relax it myself. I figured why not save time and money.

They always have me in there for hours working on 3-4 people at a time. :mad:

jasmin

These post it takes me back. I've spent tons of hours in beauty shops. There's only one time I got out in 2 hours. One shop I use to go to was an hour away from my house. I lived in the burbs and she was in the city so it wasn't like I could go home and then come back. I would go after work or school (bout 4-6) and I wouldn't get out of there til 12-1 am. My mom was in the same boat and my dad would get highly upset that we would be traveling so late.