Itchy scalp, relaxer change and breakage!

Nya33

Hi ladies i'm searching and searching and i'm sure my answer is out there.

However I got my retouch 3 weeks ago (which was a nightmare) as she underprocessed me in some parts and changed the relaxer without telling me! I was so mad and upset.

See now my scalp is so itchy, i have shampooed once 2 wks ago and have been co-washing since. My hair has been really dry too so i've been upping my dc to every couple of days. I have only done one protein treatment with Joico K-pak 2 weeks ago.

I've dusted my ends but i am noticing a few breaks at the ends even after the dust.

What i need to know is do you think it was the relaxer that is causing all these problems? I'm going somewhere else as i'm not confident enough to do my own relaxer and I was using Mizani BB sensitive scalp (no lye) with great results will i be ok to go back to it after using Syntonics lye?

I'm going to wait 12 weeks for retouch again if i don't experience any severe breakage along the way.

Sorry for long post i'm in a bit of despair.

Thanks Nya

gymfreak336

Something must be up with the Syntonics because you are the one of the many people I have heard have bad scalp reaction to it.

When you say you have been cowashing since then, are you shampooing on your deep conditioning days? And what are you cowashing with?

In terms of your scalp, you might want to try rubbing a little cortisone cream in the areas that are really bad to help soothe the irritation.

Your scalp is going to itch even more as it tries to heal so do your best to leave it alone and just let it heal over.

Nya33

Thanks gym, ive been using HerbalEssence HH coconut and joico kpak condish. Ive not been shampooing on dc days as i thought that may cause more irritation and dryness.

I was trying to find out about syntonics to see if anybody else has had this reaction. My head is itching like i have a weave on!

Im heading to the chemist now!

janeemat

You are probably having problems since you switch from no lye to a lye. I know several people that switched from no lye to lye and suffered breakage along with dry itchy scalp. I know most people can make the switch without any problems but there are a few that will suffer. I would definitely stretch as long as possible. Do lots of protein treatments and then look in the Nioxin line for a cond for dry itchy scalp.

Nya33

You are probably having problems since you switch from no lye to a lye. I know several people that switched from no lye to lye and suffered breakage along with dry itchy scalp. I know most people can make the switch without any problems but there are a few that will suffer. I would definitely stretch as long as possible. Do lots of protein treatments and then look in the Nioxin line for a cond for dry itchy scalp.

This is making me so mad that the stylist just switched relaxers on me. I was going to do a corrective in 6 weeks but i will hold on until December if not longer.

I was thinking i needed more moisture but i will definitely increase my protein and hope the breakage lessens.

I'm taking this all on board and hope i can recover. I have my cream and am hoping the itching will subside as scratching my head at work is not a good look!

gymfreak336

Thanks gym, ive been using HerbalEssence HH coconut and joico kpak condish. Ive not been shampooing on dc days as i thought that may cause more irritation and dryness.

I was trying to find out about syntonics to see if anybody else has had this reaction. My head is itching like i have a weave on!

Im heading to the chemist now!

Yeah, the syntonics has been tearing up up some peoples scalps :nono: I think it is because of some of the botanicals they put in the scalp protectant and the companion products.

Nya33

Yeah, the syntonics has been tearing up up some peoples scalps :nono: I think it is because of some of the botanicals they put in the scalp protectant and the companion products.

You know that makes a lot of sense, after i was rinsed she put on some treatment thing and my head started to burn/tingle. So i asked what did you put on and it was some green tea/menthol treatment. I asked to have it washed out as it was too much for my scalp. The wierd thing is I don't normally have any problems with menthol treatments.

gymfreak336

You know that makes a lot of sense, after i was rinsed she put on some treatment thing and my head started to burn/tingle. So i asked what did you put on and it was some green tea/menthol treatment. I asked to have it washed out as it was too much for my scalp. The wierd thing is I don't normally have any problems with menthol treatments.

Artemis had a similar experience with syntonics. I also think that the green tea extract could be part of it since not everyone has a good reaction with topical green tea extract. I think all of the extracts can just be too much. They are in the base cream, shampoo, conditioner etc... Just overload IMO. Artemis is now 8 weeks post and is still not back right yet. I will call her tonight to see if there is anything else she could contribute to your situation.

panamoni

Bump.................
All of a sudden my scalp is itching like crazy today.
Weird, because it's been fine so far.
Two weeks ago, had a relaxer - Syntonics and everything seemed pretty much fine. I haven't done anything to may hair except this week I started moisturizing with Qhemet's Burdock Root Butter Cream. This morning, I put the cream on my scalp as well as the hair...and about two hours ago, I've started itching like crazy.

I've been reading threads about itchy scalp and I'm not sure what could be the cause:
- hair growth
- stopped taking flaxseed after taking it regularly (ran out a few days ago)
- biotin/msm
- dry scalp
- build up from the Qhemet's on the scalp

I'll go to Ulta today and purchase either the KeraCare Itchy Scalp Shampoo or Nioxin Shampoo for my first wash in two weeks on Saturday. I'll try to find something soothing to put on my scalp tonight to hold me over until Saturday.

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited: