Heat damaged hair: to cut or not to cut

kaytorry

I flat ironed my hair Friday night, last night, I did a wash and a twist-out. After it had dried, I noticed a piece in the back was a bit dry and rough. Is this heat damage? If so, can I get away with cutting that specific piece, or do I cut the entire length? Or try to nurse the damaged area?
Please share your experience, thoughts and opinions.

prettynatural

Think, Do, Be
I would suggest for next wash to do a protein condish and increase moisturization. If after a few washes and it is the same I would recommend slowly cutting that section if you are concerned with length.

I like lekair cholesteral because it is not a heavy protein and it gets the job done.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Long Hair Care Forum App

13StepsAhead

I'm having this same issue, but my curl is still intact. Bumping for more responses.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

RegaLady

I having the same issue with my ends after a flat iron gone wrong months ago. I did protein treatments, moisterized and bunned or PS and it seems the ends are still rough and I am noticing breakage. So it looks like I will be doing a trim this month,sigh.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Isn't another way to detect heat damage is when the ends of your hair have a little white dot/bulb...I think some even refer to it as the appearance of reverse shedding?

ajargon02

I having the same issue with my ends after a flat iron gone wrong months ago. I did protein treatments, moisterized and bunned or PS and it seems the ends are still rough and I am noticing breakage. So it looks like I will be doing a trim this month,sigh.

Yup the best way IMHO to deal with damage, is to cut it off! It will grow back! :D if you were able to grow it out the first time, you can do it again. :D

kaytorry

what brand of steamer do you have? or which one do you recommend? I have been looking at various websites, and they seem quite pricey. I am willing to invest in one, but on the condition that it will give me great results.

westNDNbeauty

I'd nurse it and keep it on my head no matter what.

I had a complete head of heat damage and I grew it all out using braid n' curls. No one besides myself was able to tell there was damage because it was masked by the style.

Beautytalk69

What if the ends are completely straight? I flat ironed my hair yesterday and washed it today..and some of my ends are completely straight..

tmkersha

I agree. I would just take really got care of it. If it is really heat damage than the condition of the hair will not return back to normal. If you want to keep your length, you should just gradually grow the damaged part out.

I experienced head damage last year when I let a girl hot comb my hair (BAD MISTAKE). I ended up with a big chuck of hair in the front of my hair that was completely straight even after washing, and some smaller pieces in other parts of my hair. I cut the smaller pieces out, but the hair in the front I am still growing out gradually.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
do some protein treatments if the curl has indeed loosened. it may not even be heat damage, though.
i like aphogee 2 minute. or even motions cpr. or even a yogurt and egg mixture.

I'm with wwestndnbeauty-i've "transitioned" from a heat damaged section before. it's easy to hide. i don't see a reason to cut unless it's really, really bothering you.

kittikat24

My ends are rough due to a recent flatironed style, but girl you know I'm saving these ends!!:antlers: but like many have said, using braid outs/bantu knot outs/curly styles are the best:grin: for hiding less than perfect ends.
Honestly those Protective styles are what got me through my transition:yep:

Geminigirl

I have a stand up steamer from salon r us. Last time I steamed I used a plastic cap and it was the best steam ever. The steam built up in the cap and I had no burning or hot drippies.

I say that because people say they want the steam to touch their hair this and that and doing it without the cap was extremley uncomfortable for me so use a cap.

True Gemini

faithVA

I have a stand up steamer from salon r us. Last time I steamed I used a plastic cap and it was the best steam ever. The steam built up in the cap and I had no burning or hot drippies.

I say that because people say they want the steam to touch their hair this and that and doing it without the cap was extremley uncomfortable for me so use a cap.

True Gemini

Thanks Geminigirl. I bought a steamer a year ago and used it a few times. While steaming, I had some hot droplet fall on a thin spot and I thought I was going to pass out. I haven't used the steamer since then. :nono: I may give this a try.

Did you mist your hair first before putting on the cap so your hair was wet? Sorry, if you talked about your steaming process earlier. I didn't read previous posts, I just started here.

Geminigirl

faithVA

No what I did was I washed my hair so it was already wet and then I DC'd. I applied Silk Elements Moist treatment all over and put on the shower cap, and sat under the steamer. The cap fills up with steam so you are still getting that steam effect without all that heat and steam burning your scalp and dropping on you. I still got some leakage around the perimeter but that is easily wiped away and definitely better then the droplets falling on you. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. I am going to steam again tonight in my cornrows with the cap and can't wait to feel the results.

faithVA

@faithVA

No what I did was I washed my hair so it was already wet and then I DC'd. I applied Silk Elements Moist treatment all over and put on the shower cap, and sat under the steamer. The cap fills up with steam so you are still getting that steam effect without all that heat and steam burning your scalp and dropping on you. I still got some leakage around the perimeter but that is easily wiped away and definitely better then the droplets falling on you. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. I am going to steam again tonight in my cornrows with the cap and can't wait to feel the results.

Thanks Geminigirl. I may try this over the holiday weekend. This will definitely help me to put my steamer to use. Hot water on the scalp was not doing it for me. :nono:

I have some heat damage hair from 2 years ago still on my head right now. Ever since I have began my healthy hair journey last year, I have not noticed any breakage from the heat damaged strands. I know they will eventually be cut off once I reach and maintain my hair at waist length but for now, I am treating my ends gently and using protective styling (no heat) to keep my hair intact. I haven't had a trim since last August and my ends still look good with very little SSKs. I say hold off unless your hair is breaking in the heat damaged areas.