Question regarding damaged ends...

ThickNBeautiful

Hi ladies,

I have about 3 inches of damaged ends (whether they are underprocessed, overprocessed, or what I don't know). My hair is about six inches root to tip, relaxed and cut in layers. I was trying to grow approximately 3 inches before I cut off the damaged area so my hair would not be so short. But my hair continues to break. I'm not sure if the breakage is coming from my ends or my "good" hair. My question: By keeping the damaged ends, am I harming my non-damaged hair? If so, I will chop this mess off tomorrow. Any advice is helpful. TIA

Lee

Normally when my hair starts breaking at the ends, it is time for a trim. In addition to a trim, I use S-curl on my ends only. What a big difference this has made for my hair. My ends use to be dry, brittle and looked a frizzy mess. I tried everything until the s-curl activator. What I recommend for you is to clip your ends (the amount is up to you) and start using some form of moisturizer on your ends morning and night. Some women on this forum use vaseline. Vaseline is too heavy for my hair. The s-curl is the right consistency and it has helped my hair to grow. This method has helped me immensely. Good Luck.

blue_flower

If I were you, I'd start fresh. Trim off the damaged ends and start using grease or s-curl on your ends. I use the grease on my ends and this product similiar to s-curl all over my hair.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
[ QUOTE ]
blue_flower said:
If I were you, I'd start fresh.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA.
I just had my damaged ends trimmed on Wednesday. I had a lot splits in the back area that I should have gotten trimmed off a month ago. This was before I started using Coconut Oil and distilled water. Coconut Oil is great for helping your ends to stay moist and straight. The longer you wait...the more splits/damage you will start to see. The sooner you get them taken care of...the sooner you can grow them back healthy. I had to get 1.5 inches trimmed off...but I'm glad I did it. No more splits.

flyjump00

I agree about getting rid of damaged ends. I think they stunt hair growth. I like to use olive oil w/ a little rosemary oil (in a spray bottle) on my ends. Works for me.

sithembile

I'm getting rid of my damaged ends at my next touch up. They are looking fo bad I can't wear my hair down unless I straighten my hair with heat, which only makes the damage worse.

Karonica

Get rid of them. I've been getting mini-trims and that has done nothing. Split ends can ruin your hair, as the case with mine.

queenofmean68

Cut the damaged ends off. I know 3 inches is a lot to lose, I just cut off a ton of hair due to breakage, but if you don't it will continue to break and split up the hair shaft. Long hair is nice, but having healthy hair is much better! HTH
Good Luck!

queenofmean68

Cut the damaged ends off. I know 3 inches is a lot to lose, I just cut off a ton of hair due to breakage, but if you don't it will continue to break and split up the hair shaft. Long hair is nice, but having healthy hair is much better! HTH
Good Luck!

G

Have you tried a protein treatment to eliminate some of the breakage?

ThickNBeautiful

[ QUOTE ]
Natori24 said:
Have you tried a protein treatment to eliminate some of the breakage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I have. Apoghee, Elasta QP Breakage Control, and Motions CPR. The breakage has improved, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't harming the rest of my hair. I think I'll end up getting it cut off tomorrow...

G

Maybe you have other options besides cutting. You can send me a private message if you want to.

Chaya

honestly the fact remains that if you hang on to the split ends they will climb further up the shaft. SO instead of cutting three inches, youll be cutting 4 inches.

Best thing is to trim the ends and grow healthy ends in their place. YOU CAN DO IT!

Chaya

I know how you feel. Once their gone your hair actually moves and you dont have to spend FOREVER in the mornings trying to style it.

Try getting your trims when you need them not when so much is looking scraggly and it wont be so bad getting trims. I faithfully get them every three months and my hair has grown so much!

Karonica

I'll be getting them every touch-up which is every 6-8 weeks. I have color-treated hair which splits fast, so the more trims, the better. Shooo....much better than skipping them and having to lose a ton at one time.