Diva's Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil' Long)

AJamericanDiva

Girl, what kind of extensions did she give you that you can't get them wet? Did she expect that you weren't going to wash your hair for the duration of time you're wearing the extensions? I once had this lady braid my hair and she was like... don't get them wet... I was like, "Uh-huh!" In one ear and out the other... I washed my hair like once a week at the bare minimum... Trust me, when done properly, your hair will thank you for it! :yep:

Brownshugaz said:
Diva I've had cornrow extensions for a week and they're killing me! The itch is driving me crazy. I'm used to CW my hair every day so this is torture. My friend did them and she told me not to get them wet at all. Is this true? I find this hard to believe.

Brownshugaz

Thanks Diva! She also told me that she would have to straighten my hair before she braided it the next time. Thank God! My scalp is killing me!

AJamericanDiva

Brownshugaz said:
Thanks Diva! She also told me that she would have to straighten my hair before she braided it the next time. Thank God! My scalp is killing me!

You're welcome, Gurl! I wonder why they want to straighten it before? Is it really short?

felicia

Re: Diva\'s Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil\' Long)

can these tips be applied to braids that are solely your hair?

ElizaBlue

Hey Diva,

Thanks so much. I have my cornrows back and certainly don't want to lose any more hair. Stay warm....I mean try to.

AJamericanDiva

tishee said:
JD,

what advice would you give to someone who has experienced matting w/braids? tia

Miss Tishee... the most important thing to think about is the proper use of your products. More than likely you are getting the matting (I am assuming that this is occuring at the roots) because of heavy product buildup. The thing is to concentrate your moisturizing products on the strand of the hair as opposed to the roots. When you wash your hair, use diluted shampoo and conditioner. Check out my regimen that I use when I am in braids. It can be found in my journal.

angellazette

I soooo want to get microbraids but I am worried about damage...them being too tight and falling out from the root...I bought the Braids By Breslin DVD...I may try to do my own.

shakinaglory

Hey All,
New to orum! My hair is HORRIBLE shape. I just moved from NC to UT. Can you say DRY? Not many black hair care stylist here (at least not in the phone books). Found one recently. My problem is, I love braids, especially in the summer. Does anyone know of a place in the Salt Lake City/Ogden area that provide braiding service. I can find NOONE! I would be willing to travel a little distance (maybe). Just want to get my hair back in shape. Thanks.

andreab

Bumping from LHCF history. I saw some questions about caring for braids. I found this very helpful. I don't think this member is here anymore.

tiffanyoneal

That was some great info for me because I sometimes experience those clumps when wearing them for 4 months. Next time I will try that unbraid spray on the roots before undoing the braid. Last time I took out my braids I had to use a small needle to undo the knots at the roots!:(

Thanks Diva!

Marhia

Some good tips here, I use something similar whenever i have in braids, and it works so well. Currently in yarn braids and this is what I am doing. Don't think this will last 2 mths I have some good growth going on in the middle.