Diva's Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil' Long)

Kitkat

Diva, thanks for the tip of watering down my shampoo! :) Even though I consider myself a braid vet, that would never have occurred to me. Just goes to show there's always something new to learn about hair! When I go back in braids in February or March, I'll definitely jump on that bandwagon. Oh, and not for nothing - your hair is slamming. :D Do you attribute your growth to braids, or was your hair always long even before you found LCHF?

lovelymissyoli

Re: Diva\'s Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil\' Long)

You sound like me. This was similar to the regimen I had when I had individuals in my hair 7 months ago. I wore those braids for 3 months believe it or not and had less shedding then I do when I do my hair now... :confused:

AJamericanDiva

NYCQT16 said:
These are great tips Diva!! Thx ;)

But tell me...how do you deal with this INCESSANT ITCHING?!!!! Yikes!! :mad:

Funny enough, I don't get itching. How often are you washing? Is it possible that your scalp is really dry? ...especially with this cold weather?

SexyC

Hey JD!!
Can I call you that? I'm thinking about putting braids in my hair as soon as I finish abusing my wig. It's been about 5 months since my last relaxer, I'm not transitioning but really stretching it out. Have you ever had problems with breakage or clumps after streching a touchup that long?

tuffCOOKiE

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. Im thinking about getting braids soon and this is really going to help. Thank you.. i think you saved my hair

NYCQT16

Natural Again
AJamericanDiva said:
Funny enough, I don't get itching. How often are you washing? Is it possible that your scalp is really dry? ...especially with this cold weather?

Luckyyyy :) , well I got them in on the 17th and I did my 1st wash on the 23rd...with the watered down shampoo and all. I've been spraying with braid spray and the Infusium-Distilled water mixture, but I can't use oil b/c it does something funny to my hair it seems. That's why I don't know where to turn :ohwell:

AJamericanDiva

SexyC said:
Hey JD!!
Can I call you that? I'm thinking about putting braids in my hair as soon as I finish abusing my wig. It's been about 5 months since my last relaxer, I'm not transitioning but really stretching it out. Have you ever had problems with breakage or clumps after streching a touchup that long?

:) Yup! You can call me JD.... Ha! Ha! I've never had a problem with breakage or "clumps" from stretching so long. The key is to manipulate the hair as little as possible. When you do have to work with it, make sure the new growth is lubed to the max so it's soft and manageable. Once you are able to manage the two textures, you minimize the breakage. Also, know your limit. Sometimes your hair will get pissed off and say "Enough is enough!" I didn't deliberately go to 7 months, that was due to a MIA hairdresser. I couldn't take it anymore and went to someone else and wasn't pleased with the service. I'll probably be self relaxing soon. :)

AJamericanDiva

NYCQT16 said:
Luckyyyy :) , well I got them in on the 17th and I did my 1st wash on the 23rd...with the watered down shampoo and all. I've been spraying with braid spray and the Infusium-Distilled water mixture, but I can't use oil b/c it does something funny to my hair it seems. That's why I don't know where to turn :ohwell:

How 'bout a LIGHT misting of oil sheen spray on the scalp? Do you think that would help?

AJamericanDiva

Bumping because I am still getting PMs about braid care. My braid regimen is also in my journal. I have only worn braids for the amount of times that you actually see braid shots in my album. I think about 4 or 5 times between 2003 and present. I'm losing count... better count the braid pics in my album. Also had to add that I don't Surge. For me, I didn't really notice anything "spectacular" so cut out this extra step.

Last edited:

Mizani_Mrs

Thanks for letting this thread resurface. i am planning to wear my hair out for the summer, then get braids for the fall., your advice is perfect!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
i only have 1 inch of hair. once i get a good amount of natural hair growth, i will be wearing braids. this thread will be very helpful when that time comes. thanks.

Dolapo

thanks cichelle for bumping. thanks AJ for all this information on how to maintain braids. this has been very helpful

Stormy

ADiva, thank you soooo much for sharing your tips! I tried wearing the Kanekalon twice last year and although I didn't have a problem with washing my braids weekly, I did have problems with the take down, tangles, and knots! I love how the hair stays in and lasts, but I was gonna give up on wearing the Kanekalon again because of all the other problems. Plus I thought it was because I had so many months of new growth. But... seeing that you also have a lot of new growth, you've made me change my mind.

Also, how did you like the Surge Plus 14? Have you ever tried the regular Surge? If so, was the 14 better? I have some of the 14, and I'm hoping it will work better for me than the original. I started having problems with my scalp before. But... the Surge rep said the Plus 14 is better. Also, I see you used the braid spray right afterwards, so I think I'll try that too. I'm wearing cornrows now, but next month I'm going to braid my hair with the Kanekalon and wear individuals again thanks to you! :kiss:

AJamericanDiva

Hey Stormy! Glad these tips helped you out. I have a few questions for you. How long are you leaving the braids in? I find that no more than two months is key for me... also, I try to stick with only light products on my hair, concentrating on the shaft of the braid as opposed to the root. This is where all that buildup occurs. Just a light spritz of the roots will do. I find that Better Braids UnBraid spray works like a charm to soften the hair and help break up what little clumps there are during the takedown. It's crucial that you stay away using from heavy products on your scalp like hair grease, gel and the like. Stick with light oils, diluted shampoos and conditioners. I personally don't get small braids either... the smallest size I'll go is the size of a pencil, but I prefer slightly larger... Hope this helps.

Stormy said:
ADiva, thank you soooo much for sharing your tips! I tried wearing the Kanekalon twice last year and although I didn't have a problem with washing my braids weekly, I did have problems with the take down, tangles, and knots! I love how the hair stays in and lasts, but I was gonna give up on wearing the Kanekalon again because of all the other problems. Plus I thought it was because I had so many months of new growth. But... seeing that you also have a lot of new growth, you've made me change my mind.

Also, how did you like the Surge Plus 14? Have you ever tried the regular Surge? If so, was the 14 better? I have some of the 14, and I'm hoping it will work better for me than the original. I started having problems with my scalp before. But... the Surge rep said the Plus 14 is better. Also, I see you used the braid spray right afterwards, so I think I'll try that too. I'm wearing cornrows now, but next month I'm going to braid my hair with the Kanekalon and wear individuals again thanks to you! :kiss:

AJamericanDiva

Oh yeah... I should add that I haven't used the Surge Revitalizer 14 in some time now. I'm such a PJ that I can't know for sure if my growth can be attributed to it. I just had one too many product, so that was one of the ones to go. My regimen is in my journal. These products are my staples....

Stormy

ADiva, like you I don't leave them in longer than 2 months. Thanks for the extra tip on light products and concentrating on the hair shaft! I was JUST thinking about that this morning. Girrrl... you just don't know how much your thread is helping me!!! :)

Thanks again. I can't thank you enough. I'll try and remember to give you a status too by December just to let you know how well your advice has helped.

SweetNic_JA

Diva, this post has reallly inspired me to rethink the way I've been maintaining my sew in ! I usually just wash my hair and ...gasp....sometimes I don't condition. I've been slacking MAJORLY. As soon as I get home I'm going to conjuor up a mixture of grapeseed oil, rosemary, x, and y to serve as a daily moisturizing spray for the cornrows underneath. Thanks lady!!!

Brownshugaz

Diva I've had cornrow extensions for a week and they're killing me! The itch is driving me crazy. I'm used to CW my hair every day so this is torture. My friend did them and she told me not to get them wet at all. Is this true? I find this hard to believe.

AJamericanDiva

Yes, please! :yep: Keep me posted!

Stormy said:
ADiva, like you I don't leave them in longer than 2 months. Thanks for the extra tip on light products and concentrating on the hair shaft! I was JUST thinking about that this morning. Girrrl... you just don't know how much your thread is helping me!!! :)

Thanks again. I can't thank you enough. I'll try and remember to give you a status too by December just to let you know how well your advice has helped.

AJamericanDiva

How have you been lady and how's life in Asia? What are you doing there anyway...OK...OT...PM me....

:spank: This is for the mean treatment you are giving your hair. Don't forget to dilute that stuff. I remember back in my weave days (eras ago!), I'd sometimes ended up with matted hair due to the clumping at the roots. Be careful!!!

SweetNic_JA said:
Diva, this post has reallly inspired me to rethink the way I've been maintaining my sew in ! I usually just wash my hair and ...gasp....sometimes I don't condition. I've been slacking MAJORLY. As soon as I get home I'm going to conjuor up a mixture of grapeseed oil, rosemary, x, and y to serve as a daily moisturizing spray for the cornrows underneath. Thanks lady!!!