Diva's Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil' Long)

AJamericanDiva

Re: Diva\'s Personal Tips for Braid Success (Lil\' Long)

Here's the picture!

JenJen2721

Thanks...one more question and I'll quit bugging you (for a while)

You know how you usually get the most build-up at the front of your hairline? Is this from washing your face? Perhaps the makeup contributes to the build-up? That's my theory...I'm thinking about making sure I wear a plastic cap or scarf over the front of my hair every time I wash my face at night.

Does that make sense? Or is it just me being silly and paranoid?

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
Thanks...one more question and I'll quit bugging you (for a while)
... <font color="red">Girl, Puh-Leeze! </font>

You know how you usually get the most build-up at the front of your hairline? Is this from washing your face? Perhaps the makeup contributes to the build-up? That's my theory...I'm thinking about making sure I wear a plastic cap or scarf over the front of my hair every time I wash my face at night.

Does that make sense? Or is it just me being silly and paranoid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're being silly or paranoid. I find that whenever loosing out braids from anyone's hair, the hairline tends to have the most buildup... sometimes the hairline in the back of the head too. It's MY THEORY
that most of our hair products get concentrated there... it's easier to get stuff on the roots that are exposed as opposed to the part that is in the middle of our head as there are braids usually in the way. Does that make sense?

sweetpea5000

I find that I get more buildup and knotting around there too, I think my hair is finer around my hairline and maybe more easily tangled? I have been paying such close attention to my braids this time around, and ended up taking out all the braids around my hairline ( back too) because they were too small for the hair around there. I think those parts need to be bigger than usual, that hair tends to be more fragile.

Before I started taking care of my hair, some of those braids around the hairline would fall out FROM THE ROOT! I would be left with a little bald spot!

Nessa

oooooohhhh thank you, i got braids right now, and they are so itchy.

Shayla

thanks for the tips...they were great!!!....i've been using creme of nature herb rich scalp cleanser to keep my scalp clean...i can't wash my microbraids or they'll end up fuzzy and what not...i'd actually had some come out as well...

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
sweetpea5000 said:
I find that I get more buildup and knotting around there too, I think my hair is finer around my hairline and maybe more easily tangled? I have been paying such close attention to my braids this time around, and ended up taking out all the braids around my hairline ( back too) because they were too small for the hair around there. I think those parts need to be bigger than usual, that hair tends to be more fragile.

Before I started taking care of my hair, some of those braids around the hairline would fall out FROM THE ROOT! I would be left with a little bald spot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, I know about that... they need to make those hairline partings bigger so the fragile hair can support the weight of the extension or put way less hair on there. Hey, they'll probably tell me it looks crazy, but what's crazier than looking like Darcelle Wynne from Solid Gold Dancers or even Susan Taylor from Essence when my braids are removed???

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Nessa said:
oooooohhhh thank you, i got braids right now, and they are so itchy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the scalp is itchy, you may want to try Better Braids Spray... not the Better Braids UnBraid!!!

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
Shayla said:
thanks for the tips...they were great!!!....i've been using creme of nature herb rich scalp cleanser to keep my scalp clean...i can't wash my microbraids or they'll end up fuzzy and what not...i'd actually had some come out as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

Shayla, does this only go on the scalp? The reason I ask is because someone asked me, possibly in the "Join a braid Regimen" thread what they could use to prevent the hair from fuzzing up if they didn't shampoo. I had no clue? Do you find that it leaves clumps at the root of the braid when you loose them out?

TBird

Ladies, I love the tips here, but it seems as most posts have tips for synthetic braids. I need some help with human hair medium micros. I can't condition because mine will certainly unravel to the point of falling out. I wash 1x a week with a braid shampoo but I'm wondering if this will cause build up since its no rinse. I'm using Sulphur 8 medicated braid spray on my scalp and the length of braids to avoid itching and to help moisturize since it does contain similar ingredients to my beloved curl activator spray. Any advice on how I can protect and moisturize my hair so that I don't loose too much of my new growth with shedding and my hair will be as healthy as it can when I take these out. I'll be about 10 weeks post relaxer when these come out. Also, is there a certain time frame I should wait before relaxing? TIA for all replies.

MsKibibi

Hi Diva,
How long have you been doing the 'crown and glory technique'? I've been using her techniques for relaxed hair for about 3 weeks now, and I'm getting braids (for the 1st time) next week. How much length have you gotten since using her technique?

PS I just bought Surge las tnight and used it lightly, yet it gave me flakes on my scalp. I'm not sure if I should use it when I get braids, what do you think? Or maybe I should see if the flakes will eventually not happen w/ continued use. Do you get flakes with the Surge?
Thanks again

AJamericanDiva

TBird, I have never had human hair extensions... mainly for the reason you mentioned... the common problem of braids falling out during the wash. Someone once suggested that if I decided to do human hair braids, to put a stocking cap on my head during the wash. My concern is that I don't think I'd feel like my hair/scalp was really clean.
I run from micros because the takedown process would be too tedious and I'd really have to be extra careful as not to lose any hair. Wish I could be of more help.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
MsKibibi said:
Hi Diva,
How long have you been doing the 'crown and glory technique'? I've been using her techniques for relaxed hair for about 3 weeks now, and I'm getting braids (for the 1st time) next week. How much length have you gotten since using her technique?

PS I just bought Surge las tnight and used it lightly, yet it gave me flakes on my scalp. I'm not sure if I should use it when I get braids, what do you think? Or maybe I should see if the flakes will eventually not happen w/ continued use. Do you get flakes with the Surge?
Thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, MissKibibi!
I would say I'm doing a modified version of the 'crown and glory' in that I haven't been doing it on a regular schedule and I use the products that work best for me, although I did start off using Hairlady's suggested products. I would say that I started the technique when I did my first set of braids myself (I gotta check my album and see if I have a date for the pic). I did them twice myself, but when I got pregnant, it was uncomfortable to do them myself... and I feel a great part of the success with the braids is finding someone who will put them in correctly so that you lose no hair. I had one person do them over the Christmas holidays and she was in Texas. I have long since returned to my home in New York and didn't trust anyone to do them other than me, so I haven't put the braids back in as yet. I am now dying to put them back in as I've already given birth 4.26.04. This allows me to leave my hair alone. On the topic of Surge...I've already noticed that my temples are receding as a result of postpartum fall, so I upped my Surge-ing. I too have noticed flakes along my hairline although I've never had problems before. The plus side is that there is "fuzz" on my hairline. What I intend to do is wash my scalp with Neutrogena T-Gel, followed by my moisturizing shampoo on my hair... then use a very moisturizing conditioner (my Keracare or Pantene). Hopefully this will address the flaking issue. If you get the braids and experience the flaking, see if shampooing with diluted T-Gel makes a difference.

P.S. I've never measured my hair, so I don't know how much growth I maintained from braiding, muchless do I know how much growth I get a month. I gotta get someone to help me with this.

MsKibibi

Thanks Diva and congrat on the new baby! I've never had a dandruff problem and I was thinking of using Pantene full &amp; thick 2-1 shamp/cond to wash the braids (diluted of course). But if I do notice flakes then i'll wash w/ a t-gel.
I'm so excited about getting braids and since its my first time I want to have all the necessary products and the info I can get, that way I can take better care of them and my hair. Thanks again

TBird

Thanks Diva for responding.

ChoclatePrincess

Tbird, I just want to say that I have human hair in now and have had human hair many times before and have never had a braid come out. I guess cause I braid my hair tight! Because my hair is long I have to braid all the way down close to the end. A few things contribute to braids falling out i.e. they're not tight enough or they don't braid far enough down.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
ChoclatePrincess said:
Tbird, I just want to say that I have human hair in now and have had human hair many times before and have never had a braid come out. I guess cause I braid my hair tight! Because my hair is long I have to braid all the way down close to the end. A few things contribute to braids falling out i.e. they're not tight enough or they don't braid far enough down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had human hair extensions because I always feared them falling out....

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
ChoclatePrincess said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone that I know that had a braid come out it was because they were too small. When I had human hair micros i had one braid in the front that looked like it was attached to three hairs!!! the braid was too heavy and my hair came out with the micro. I gave up on micros after all that. That doesn't happen to everyone though. It did to alot of people I know though.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
[ QUOTE ]
ChoclatePrincess said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Everyone that I know that had a braid come out it was because they were too small. When I had human hair micros i had one braid in the front that looked like it was attached to three hairs!!! the braid was too heavy and my hair came out with the micro. I gave up on micros after all that. That doesn't happen to everyone though. It did to alot of people I know though.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, I would say micros are a big NO NO!!! For the very reasons you listed above, not to mention the trauma of trying to take them out. I make my braids no smaller than pencil sized.

AJamericanDiva

BellyDancer, I'm trying to respond to your PM, but it says that you are not taking any PMs. I think you have to go to your home and change your settings.

greAtness333

[ QUOTE ]
bellydancer said:
[ QUOTE ]
ChoclatePrincess said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what both of you have to say. However, BD, how long did you keep the braids in and did you moisturize well? The only time I saw white bulbs popping out was when I was lazy and didn't moisturize my edges. This caused only a few braids to pull out my hair in the front, but no major damage. I also only kept them in for 6 wks. as opposed to keeping them in longer and the braid weighing my hair down.

islangirl2002

Hi Diva, I'm new to LHCF and would like to comment on how beatiful your hair looks. It is gorgeous. Well, I'm a little late with some of the products you ladies use. But I did buy the surge and just recently ordered the wgho and was wondering if you can mix the two of them together. By the way I'm currently in braids. Thanks a lot.

AJamericanDiva

Hey, IslandGirl!
Welcome to the board!!! :wave: I have long since taken the Surge out of my rotation. I did this in an attempt to cut back on the numerous amounts of products that I have been using. If you are doing the braids, I don't know if I'd do the WGO. It tends to be a little heavy in my opion and could cause a lot of buildup at the base of the braid resulting in unnecessary hairloss. I would say use a lighter oil and only concentrate it on the shaft of the braid as opposed to the root. A couple of times I mixed in some jojoba oil with essential oils and added that to the Surge. Others on this board do that same kind of mixing. What ever you do, keep the consistency of the mixture light as oppose to heavy. HTH (Sorry I took so long to reply, but I wasn't subscribed to this thread and didn't have notification of your reply.)

L

LaNecia

Hi Diva,

I thank you so much for posting this (even though it was forever ago)! I've been wearing braids for the past 8 months, first they were micros for about 2.5 months then I switched to tree braids, which I absolutely LOVE! I'm very horrible about washing my hair while braided (this has resulted in MAD DRY HAIR WHEN I TAKE THEM DOWN) and I'm wondering if you would recommend this same regimine to someone who's wearing cornrows? My tree braids consist of cornrows w/prefabricated braids braided in. This style lasts for about 6 to 8 weeks, depending on my maintenance.

I've started using the Surge again and follow nightly with Mane N Tails Oil Spray (LUV that!). I'm at a week mark but I'm scared to wash them!

Thanks!!

AJamericanDiva

Hey LaNecia!

I've heard about those tree braids. I'm an advocate of washing at least once a week. Maybe you could try and use a net over the hair to hold everything in place and then proceed to use diluted shampoo and conditioner and then rinsing well. Continue to use light products to moisturize the hair so it won't be brittle come take down time. Remember, just because your hair's in braids doen's mean you can forgot about it... It still needs love too!!! :kiss:

Thanks for the tips AJD! I've got braids in my hair now and I was going to wait a few more days to wash them, but I'm inspired to go ahead and wash them tonight.