Did Henna Stop Your Breakage??

lovleelilie

I'd love to hear your experience.

Are you relaxed or natural or transitioning?
What was your henna schedule - how often?
Did Henna help reduce those? If so, how many applications till you saw a change?

I'm strongly considering Henna and of course I had to reach out to the LHCF experimenters and experts before adding it to my reggie (which is pretty simple - pre-poo, co-wash or wash & dc 2x's per week)

~*Tigget*~

I am relaxed...Henna has really benefited to my hair. I've only done it twice along w/ Indigo, so far so good.:grin:

JustKiya

Henna stopped/stops my breakage dead. Mind you, my breakage the first time I used it was from double processing my hair with color/bleach. Henna allowed me to hold onto those DP'd strands until my 'virgin' hair was long enough to work with.

Currently, as soon as I start seeing additional breakage, I henna. Mind you, I have a VERY moisture heavy regimen, so my breakage is never the result of not enough moisture - more like too much moisture, for me.

lovleelilie

Henna stopped/stops my breakage dead. Mind you, my breakage the first time I used it was from double processing my hair with color/bleach. Henna allowed me to hold onto those DP'd strands until my 'virgin' hair was long enough to work with.

Currently, as soon as I start seeing additional breakage, I henna. Mind you, I have a VERY moisture heavy regimen, so my breakage is never the result of not enough moisture - more like too much moisture, for me.

wow! it stopped the breakage/shedding on the first try? or, did was it after multiple uses?

PureSilver

Henna is the truth, There is a whole thread started by Sareca about henna, but anyway i've done it before just last week and i saw results immediately. I would saw follow up with an excellent moisturising conditioner and when mixing it use moisturising oils to combat dryness, if not then it can cause breakage. I would say give it a go because it immediately strenghtens hair.

Here's the link to the famous Henna thread it's a lot to read but it sure does help.
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=87256

Choklatekiss79

Cool. Do you use a rinse or paste? Would you mind posting your henna reggie? Or is there a link where I can find it? Sorry for all the questions.:grin:

lovleelilie

Cool. Do you use a rinse or paste? Would you mind posting your henna reggie? Or is there a link where I can find it? Sorry for all the questions.:grin:

you should check out curlynikki.com she has a bomb recipe that may work for you.

hoping to hear from more ladies about the breakage issue tho!! :grin:

JustKiya

wow! it stopped the breakage/shedding on the first try? or, did was it after multiple uses?

First try. Almost brought tears to my eyes. :lol:

No problem - mine is very simple. 1/4 cup henna mixed with 1/4 cup warmish hot water, let sit 45 min to an hour for the color to release. Mix in 1/2 cup of conditioner, apply to hair, leave in overnight. Rinse and DC.

Right now, I'm henna'ing about once every 3-4 months - the MT is keeping my hair strength up... :yep: But I've gone from using it as frequently as once a week, which ended up being too much for my fine hair over time....

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Not everyone who is relaxed can do henna though. It caused horrid dryness and I use excellent moisturizing techniques. It got so bad, I had to attempt to strip the henna from my hair with Clairol Uncolor. Immediately, I saw an improved hair condition. I'd definitely do a small section text for 1 month before trying it. Depends upon your hair. If it's going to be problematic for your hair, you usually don't see it until about 2 weeks later.

How I used henna? Good quality mehandi with full-creme Indian curd/yoghurt, olive oil, egg and allowed the paste to cure overnight covered. I loved it for 2 weeks then started noticing problems with excessive dryness and some breakage. Henna is best for natural or near-natural hair (texlaxed).

JustKiya

Not everyone who is relaxed can do henna though. It caused horrid dryness and I use excellent moisturizing techniques. It got so bad, I had to attempt to strip the henna from my hair with Clairol Uncolor. Immediately, I saw an improved hair condition. I'd definitely do a small section text for 1 month before trying it. Depends upon your hair. If it's going to be problematic for your hair, you usually don't see it until about 2 weeks later.

How I used henna? Good quality mehandi with full-creme Indian curd/yoghurt, olive oil, egg and allowed the paste to cure overnight covered. I loved it for 2 weeks then started noticing problems with excessive dryness and some breakage. Henna is best for natural or near-natural hair (texlaxed).

Did you DC afterwards? And what is it with women adding egg to their henna? :lol: Yipes! And that was the first time using it? :nono:

I strongly, strongly, strongly, STRONGLY suggest that if it is the FIRST time you are using henna, your mixture be Henna and Water and conditioner. Full stop. Adding a lot of 'extra' stuff prevents you from seeing the results of just plain old henna on your hair, and brings in a whole lot of other variables that can cause issues.

And you HAVE to DC with something moisturizing after henna. It is a drying treatment (rather like a protein treatment in that way) and if you don't DC, you will see issues further down the road.

Also, on my hair, henna acts like a protein - it makes me hair stronger, stiffer, harder, the whole nine - so you might need to use less protein after you henna - esp. the first time - so that you can see what impact that might have on your overall routine. If your hair is generally protein sensitive, be gentle with henna and take it slow.... :yep:

sqzbly1908

Hi Lovelee,

Are you relaxed or natural or transitioning? Relaxed
What was your henna schedule - how often? once a month
Did Henna help reduce those? Yes If so, how many applications till you saw a change? I really noticed after my 2nd application

I don't do the traditional henna - I do a henna gloss - I got the recipe from Lavander (she has a fotki as well Lavandar2) the only thing different I do is I let the dye release for about 12-18 hours (Body Art Quality Henna Only!!!) then I put in my conditioners. I use 1/4 cup of Lustrasilk Moisturizing condish and 1/3 cup of Redken All Soft regular condish (not the heavy cream) mix, let it sit for about 30 minutes then applied to wet hair that has been deep conditioned...

I have very fine hair and henna has been great for my hair, with regards to color, volume and strength...

Sorry so wordy!!! HTH

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Did you DC afterwards? And what is it with women adding egg to their henna? :lol: Yipes! And that was the first time using it? :nono:

.... :yep:

Oh, I know how to use it. I used Indian and African recipes in henna. I'd henna'ed off and on for years. However, with relaxed hair, it didn't work for me. This was the second try with relaxed hair and it was a no-go. My post was merely a warning for her to test an area before diving in. With some...SOME people, it doesn't work.

Egg and henna does work, extremely well. Even without it, it's not a crazy idea but is one Indian technique. If one uses a full creme yoghurt, no conditioner is needed. I did say that I moisturized well...very well, in fact and with salon products. It simply didn't work for me with my hair relaxed. Not all people have had the same effects. So, if one is natural, the effects are usually better and get better with each additional henna. I'm a henna pro actually...but with my type of relaxed hair??? Nope...disastrous. That's why many stylists advise against mixing them. Some relaxed people do well with it.

Last edited:

araceli2418

So, is it safe to assume I can replace the intense Aphogee treatment with Henna? I'm really hoping you're going to say yes b/c I HATE sitting under the dryer.

JustKiya

Oh, I know how to use it. I used Indian and African recipes in henna. I'd henna'ed off and on for years. However, with relaxed hair, it didn't work for me. This was the second try with relaxed hair and it was a no-go. My post was merely a warning for her to test an area before diving in. With some...SOME people, it doesn't work.

Egg and henna does work, extremely well. Even without it, it's not a crazy idea but is one Indian technique. If one uses a full creme yoghurt, no conditioner is needed. I did say that I moisturized well...very well, in fact and with salon products. It simply didn't work for me with my hair relaxed. Not all people have had the same effects. So, if one is natural, the effects are usually better and get better with each additional henna. I'm a henna pro actually...but with my type of relaxed hair??? Nope...disastrous. That's why many stylists advise against mixing them. Some relaxed people do well with it.

So, if I understand you correctly, you were doing a henna, on 'new' hair (relaxed instead of natural) and used the above recipe?

I still maintain, that the first time you use henna you should start with a simple recipe - and since your hair had changed, it was like using it the first time again. *shrug* Did you ever try basic henna on your relaxed hair? Perhaps something in your indian/african fusion didn't agree with your relaxed hair, more so than the henna, itself?

I don't see anything wrong with your suggestion that she go slow with location of henna - I'm suggesting that she does the same thing with her recipe, as well. :yep:

From my readings, the main reason most stylists are against using henna on chemically processed hair is that the henna that most 'salons' use is not BAQ henna, but is actually a chemically based/metal salts containing hair dye, since BAQ henna is tempermental as far as color deposit, and usually requires a much longer 'rest' time on the hair than most salons are willing to do.

araceli2418
You'll have to try it on your hair, and see. I don't 'need' any other protein treatment as long as I'm using henna, but it might not work that way for all henna heads....

Last edited:

araceli2418

Okay, thanks Kiya. I'll keep that in mind. I'm not really having any breakage, per se. I just want to strengthen and thicken and, of course, no breakage is always a plus.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

So, if I understand you correctly, you were doing a henna, on 'new' hair (relaxed instead of natural) and used the above recipe?

I still maintain, that the first time you use henna you should start with a simple recipe - and since your hair had changed, it was like using it the first time again. *shrug* Did you ever try basic henna on your relaxed hair? Perhaps something in your indian/african fusion didn't agree with your relaxed hair, more so than the henna, itself?

I don't see anything wrong with your suggestion that she go slow with location of henna - I'm suggesting that she does the same thing with her recipe, as well. :yep:

From my readings, the main reason most stylists are against using henna on chemically processed hair is that the henna that most 'salons' use is not BAQ henna, but is actually a chemically based/metal salts containing hair dye, since BAQ henna is tempermental as far as color deposit, and usually requires a much longer 'rest' time on the hair than most salons are willing to do.

araceli2418 You'll have to try it on your hair, and see. I don't 'need' any other protein treatment as long as I'm using henna, but it might not work that way for all henna heads....

That's all fine for your experience. She asked and I gave my personal experience. However, none of the ingredients in the henna mix have ever caused a problem with my hair, natural or relaxed. *I* can't use henna for relaxed hair and I am very experienced with it...not my first time period, relaxed or natural.

Egg was not the problem because it helps the henna bind better to the hair. And yes, I've used it "simply" as you call it...with just a bit of olive, on relaxed hair. That result was one reason I upped the moisturizing and conditioning ingredients in the mix. Like I said, I'm not new to henna and I use old world recipes that are tried and true as they are old as dirt. I knew what I was doing.

Yes, hair stylists often warn against using it with relaxers, even the natural henna. It can cause an issue for those who want a professional color in future because it takes hours to strip off, if successful. I wasn't talking about salon application of metallic salt "henna."

MY henna didn't work out because, as I mentioned before, it often times works out better for natural or texlaxed hair, not fully relaxed. But that is not the exerience that everyone who is relaxed has had with it. It's individual. Just like some manufactured products do not work out for some people, some natural products don't either. I don't know how many other ways to say it....it's individual.

nomoweavesfome

complete opposite for me- I may be one in one million, but I tried it twice and I believe both times especially the second time it actually added to my breakage problem. My hair was a complete dry mess and nothing penetrated it to put it back to normal. I HATE henna.