Henna: What to do/ What not to do! Share your experience!

LaFemmeNaturelle

So I'm thinking of adding henna to my reggie for it's strengthening properties but more importantly, to color my hair red. I've read different threads, articles, and an e-book on steps to take. But what freaks me out are the ladies who have henna disasters. So my questions are:

1. How often do/have you henna('d)?
2. What are the nono's for applying and mixing henna? And what are your steps?
3. If you had a bad experience but later had a good experience, what did you do differently?
4. If you only had bad experiences, what happened? What steps did you take that lead up to such a terrible experience?
5. If you are natural, how is your curl pattern holding up?
6. Any other advice you may have:yep:

Oh yeah, and is your hair red? (for the non-indigo users)

Your Cheeziness

If your hair is dark brown or black, you'll likely get auburnish highlights that are more visible in sunlight. It won't give you bright red hair unless your hair color is naturally light or grey.

I'd skip the lemon juice in most recipes and go for an oil/condish mix. Also, keep your hair wrapped in plastic or something to prevent it from drying out or you're going to have issues rinsing it out.

LaFemmeNaturelle

lol I'll def post my results but I probably won't do it until I wear out my half wigs. I have some 2s that are already too dark so I don't want to look like a straight fool after I henna. lol Your hair is lovely btw, I'm off to your blog and fotki.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My 2 Cents:grin:

If you're Relaxed, make sure you use Body Art Quality Henna
Wear Gloves
Mix a good consistency to avoid running *Yogurt like consistency*
I also use a splash of oil (not necessary tho') Olive, Amla, Kukui *whatever I have
Wrap Tightly in Saran Wrap
Cover with Plastic Cap
Allow to Sit
Rinse alot 1st w/Plain Water
Dump on some V05, Suave etc..Let sit a minute Rinse, Rinse, Rinse
I'll usually use a bottle or 2 between the Henna/Indigo 2-Step Process.
(I do both).

Happy Henna'ing!:lick:

EllePixie

1. How often do/have you henna('d)? - Once a month or every other month
2. What are the nono's for applying and mixing henna? And what are your steps? - Lemon juice can be drying, make sure you mix it well, add oil LAST (it's harder to mix in the tea/water if the oil has already made it lumpy)
3. If you had a bad experience but later had a good experience, what did you do differently? - Experiences have all been good!
4. If you only had bad experiences, what happened? What steps did you take that lead up to such a terrible experience? N/A
5. If you are natural, how is your curl pattern holding up? - It's the same, but I always mix with other oils, coconut milk, fenugreek/amla, etc.
6. Any other advice you may have? - LOL...ummm...if you think it will make your hair RED (my hair is def red), and you think you will want to change it, don't use henna. I like the conditioning from henna, but it really mimics a protein treatment, and I no longer want red hair. However, I don't want to indigo either, as it can fade and look dull blue/green (in the same way blue black dye fades), and it is not recommended to use commercial dye over henna.

For more info -

Henna and Removing Henna from hair

bride91501

1. How often do/have you henna('d)? I started in Nov 2010. I henna monthly so I've done it twice so far.
2. What are the nono's for applying and mixing henna? And what are your steps? Make sure you get the consistency right. I've found that a cake batter consistency is thick enough to stay in my hair and off my face, and rinses easily.
3. If you had a bad experience but later had a good experience, what did you do differently? Not that it was the henna's fault :lol: but I foolishly applied the henna the very first time with NO GLOVES :blush: My fingers and fingernails were orange for 3 weeks. Definitely wear gloves and keep them on the whole time lol. Other than this, my experiences have been great!
4. If you only had bad experiences, what happened? What steps did you take that lead up to such a terrible experience? N/A
5. If you are natural, how is your curl pattern holding up? My hair is MUCH easier to detangle these days, but my curl pattern seems pretty unaffected. I do have a tiny patch of 3c hair at the nape of my neck that has slightenly loosend, but it isn't really noticeable.
6. Any other advice you may have My henna mix: Jamila BAQ Henna, water, yogurt, HH HE, a little bit of lemon juice, various oils. I leave the henna on for 8-9 hours, then rinse and co-wash it out with V05 MM. I then follow-up with a moisturizing DC.
Oh yeah, and is your hair red? (for the non-indigo users): My hair is also a "1B" color in tracks :lachen:, and I don't notice ANY change in color lol. My DH claims he sometimes sees some red highlights, but :rolleyes:

I LOVE Henna. It is the absolute, hands down, BEST thing I've done for my hair since starting my LHHJ.

demlew

I'm relaxed, but here goes:
1. How often do/have you henna('d)? 1-2x a month
2. What are the nono's for applying and mixing henna? And what are your steps? Making the mix too thin. My mix is Nupur 9-blend, black tea, and a lil EVOO. I don't let it sit out for dye release because I usually sleep in it for 4-6 hours.
3. If you had a bad experience but later had a good experience, what did you do differently? n/a - all good experiences!
4. If you only had bad experiences, what happened? What steps did you take that lead up to such a terrible experience? ditto
5. If you are natural, how is your curl pattern holding up? n/a
6. Any other advice you may have Make sure it's BAQ, wear gloves, rinse really really well, and don't skip a moisturizing DC afterwards.
Oh yeah, and is your hair red? (for the non-indigo users) Nupur gives my hair an auburn tint, but Karishma is another great brand and it gives much redder results, IMO. HHG!

Vonnieluvs08

Natural head:

1. How often do/have you henna('d)? I henna once a month (when I first started I did it weekly for 3 weeks) I've been hennaing since Oct 2009. I have dark brown/black hair with red undertones.

2. What are the nono's for applying and mixing henna? And what are your steps? I mix with hot/warm green tea, a splash of lemon or ACV (really just a splash). I use Karishma but most recently Nupur (not a fave) all premixed hennas (have other herbs in it). I always add Hibiscus cuz I want the red tints. Let sit overnight and freeze leftovers. I always use gloves and cover in plastic after applying. I rinse well with water, then VO5, and DC with something ultra-moisturizing.

3. If you had a bad experience but later had a good experience, what did you do differently? I didn't have water warm enough to get a nice smooth consistency.

4. If you only had bad experiences, what happened? What steps did you take that lead up to such a terrible experience? I love to henna (outside of the time factor)

5. If you are natural, how is your curl pattern holding up? I see loosening or more definition when applying but after I finish the process I don't think I see any major/drastic change in my curl pattern.

6. Any other advice you may have. It takes some time to get your application process down. I like using a color applicator brush to apply. I have special henna clothes so if it gets on my clothes I don't care. If you really want color premix the night before and leave it on for at least 4 hours. Color didn't start showing up for me until a couple months in.

Oh yeah, and is your hair red? (for the non-indigo users)-It has a reddish tint in certain lighting but it makes my black a richer color.

Last edited:

lala

I've only henna'd once (last week), but plan to do monthly

Don't have any nono's, but pre-oiled with Tropical Traditions coconut oil and Vatika on the ends for approx. 1 hr. and then added Lustrasilk Shea Butter cond. for another hr. Then shampooed w/Alba Coconut Milk hair wash, towel dried, and applied Nupur henna with a mixture of olive oil, coconut milk and honey. Covered in plastic, left on for 4 hrs. Rinsed with warm water, and did a conditioner wash with HE Hello Hydration. Afterwards I applied a leave-in, shea butter, shea oil and air-dried. Shampooed again the next morning and conditioned with the HE, oils again.

3. If you had a bad experience but later had a good experience, what did you do differently? N/A

I did not see a change in curl pattern, but then I only left the henna on for 4 hrs.

6. Any other advice you may have
Pre-oil/condition, shampoo and towel dry beforehand. Detangle hair prior to applying the henna. Do not manipulate your hair after applying the henna to avoid tangles. Do not let it dry or harden on your hair (nono). I did not experience any tangling or severe dryness, so that's my advice.

Oh yeah, and is your hair red? (for the non-indigo users)
In certain areas it's fire-engine/carrot red, but it's not shocking though

Last edited:

moore.1506

Every 3 to 6 months
I always here don't use lemon juice but I do cause I think it helps release the color. I mix water, lemon juice, cloves, and black coffee to give it a redish brownish color and let it sit overnight. I deep condition my hair overnight wake up rinse the conditoner out and put in the henna while wet. Then put back on a shower cap and go back to sleep for about 3 hours then rinse.
3. If you had a bad experience but later had a good experience, what did you do differently?
No bad experiences
4. If you only had bad experiences, what happened? What steps did you take that lead up to such a terrible experience?
N/A
Did it once as a natural curl pattern looked about the same.
6. Any other advice you may have
I think its easier to rinse the henna in a tub of water. I run a full tub of water and lay on my back across a chair with my head hanging into the tub and dunk and rinse out with conditioner. After that I deep condition agian for about 1hr and rinse in the shower. Sometimes there maybe a little henna left in my hair but by the next wash its gone and my hair feels soooooo strong!

Last edited:

zenith

1. How often do/have you henna('d)? every2 months.
2. What are the nono's for applying and mixing henna? NO LEMON:too drying And what are your steps? Hot water (not boiling) a dash of coconut oil and mix, mix mix to a smooth paste.
3. If you had a bad experience but later had a good experience, what did you do differently? never had one.
4. If you only had bad experiences, what happened? n/a What steps did you take that lead up to such a terrible experience? n/a
5. If you are natural, how is your curl pattern holding up? it's loosened up
6. Any other advice you may have Keep it simple when it comes to heena.
Make sure your hair is oil up (coconut/olive oil) the night before.
Perform a strand test... just incase.
If you do not know what to do ask.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

For faster dye uptake, use heat (heating cap, bonnet dryer)...cuts down on the amount of time you have to leave henna in your hair, and I think you get better color deposit.

Makenzie

1. How often do/have you henna('d)? Monthly

2. What are the nono's for applying and mixing henna? And what are your steps? Always use gloves. I mix with warm warm water, and egg, then add my powders and conditioners. No oil. I add it like I am adding perm. Them put on a plastic cap and a scarf. I leave on overnight. I rinse as much as I can out with just plain water, then I bring on the cheapie conditioner. I end with a moisturizing conditioner.

3. If you had a bad experience but later had a good experience, what did you do differently? I use Karishma henna. It's a finer grade than the previous one I used. Easier to rinse out and with the help of an egg for protein, gives me the red I was looking for.

5. If you are natural, how is your curl pattern holding up? So far so good.

6. Any other advice you may have. Be patient.

Oh yeah, and is your hair red? (for the non-indigo users) Yes. The egg boosted the color. I've henna'd many times, with oil/without oil, used many extra ingredients, etc. The egg did it.:lol: