Deep Conditioning on dry hair

Maksi

I have been DCing on dry hair, slathering on the conditioner, sitting under dryer for 30 minutes or so and then in the shower I dampen my hair and use a mild shampoo (SLS free) shampoo straight into the DC. Seems to be working well, gets my hair clean without stripping it.......sorta the best of both worlds.....I massage the shampoo into my scalp and then rinse it ALL out (DC, SHAMPOO and any oils I may have added) and my hair feels FABULOUS afterward. It helps cut down on the routine and the results seem to be working well.

Your hair is GORGEOUS......I say keep doing what you are doing

This I'll have to try. Since I wash in the shower, this would cut out on the double showers (I know, I know--way too much water!) and save lots of time. It would sseem strange not to apply conditioner after shampooing, but a leave in could make up for it. This would also make DC'ing twice a week a lot easier. Love it! I've been DC'ing on wet, freshly shampooed hair and it is very time consuming.

hurricane

I do it all the time. I d/c without heat for 2 hours. Rinse out, use leave-in, and air dry. Your hair is way longer and thicker than mine so you may or maynot want to air dry. I don't recommend sleeping in condish. overnight. It left my hair a boggy mess and I had a thin spot in the back of my head where I scratched because of the conditioner being on all night.

Muse

This I'll have to try. Since I wash in the shower, this would cut out on the double showers (I know, I know--way too much water!) and save lots of time. It would sseem strange not to apply conditioner after shampooing, but a leave in could make up for it. This would also make DC'ing twice a week a lot easier. Love it! I've been DC'ing on wet, freshly shampooed hair and it is very time consuming.

I hear you! I absolutely hate jumping in and out of the shower. I can't wait to try this method. I don't know about not using conditioner after shampooing either. I will probably just use a light rinse out conditioner after shampooing.

Fine 4s

I do it weekly and my hair loves it.

I use ORS Replenishing.

But it is pretty watery and dampens my hair well.

I think for my thicker conditioners I would prefer to apply on wet hair.

I know what you mean about jumping in and out of the shower though.

I put the ORS on my dry hair, put on a plastic cap and a scarf, workout for an hour, and then shampoo and use a rinse out conditioner.

It works well for me and Shampooing afterwards does not remove the effects of the conditioning.

Thank you for answering questions i've had for so long regarding using shampoo after DC and applying DC on dry hair! I had the same concerns as the OT...Since I'll be joining the gym soon ( I hope), I'll try your idea...

sqzbly1908

I would really like to know too. I have fine hair and I'm considering this method of dc-ing.

Hope that you don't mind if I interject on this one....I know that it is better to do this on fine/thin as many conditioners tend to weigh our (fine hair) down and one can get the benefits without the "weight" by using it on dry hair.

FluffyRed

I always DC on dry hair. I use a cheaper moisture/protein combo though.

For me it's different from prepooing because I rarely use shampoo.

I just rinse with baking soda and water after the DC to get out cones and other stuff.

Angelicus

Hmm....why do you say that....
As lynndiallo said, Deep conditioning is best on dry hair if you have fine hair. Conditioning after shampoo will only weigh your hair down, making it look lifeless and greasy.

Here are steps that I have given to my mom to take care of her fine hair.

1. Deep condition with a cholesterol/deep conditioner on dry hair. I have my mom using Miss Key 10 en 1 Super Conditioner.

2. Rinse and wash with a moisturizing shampoo. I have no idea what she uses for shampoo.

3. Apply liquid leave-in conditioner. Using a liquid is very important too. If you use a creme, dilute it with water and put in a spray bottle. Your hair will be bouncy, full of volume and shine.

LovelyLionessa

I always DC on dry hair. The difference IMO between a DC and a pre-poo is using a deep conditioner instead of a cheapie watery conditioner.

temfash

As lynndiallo said, Deep conditioning is best on dry hair if you have fine hair. Conditioning after shampoo will only weigh your hair down, making it look lifeless and greasy.

Here are steps that I have given to my mom to take care of her fine hair.

1. Deep condition with a cholesterol/deep conditioner on dry hair. I have my mom using Miss Key 10 en 1 Super Conditioner.

2. Rinse and wash with a moisturizing shampoo. I have no idea what she uses for shampoo.

3. Apply liquid leave-in conditioner. Using a liquid is very important too. If you use a creme, dilute it with water and put in a spray bottle. Your hair will be bouncy, full of volume and shine.

You're so right, I've been following this regimen consistently for about 6 months and my hair has been thriving.

trinidarkie1

I dc on dry hair all the time, but when I do so, I do it overnight. That way it can REALLY penetrate my hair :yep: I use Silicon Mix to dc. (Usually I do that when I'm co-washing. If I'm doing a regular shampoo, I won't dc, but now I have to since I'm doing the bootcamp.)

GL!

I do that as well when I use Ojon Restorative Treatment. My hair feels great the next day.

lollyoo

Theoretically, DCing on dry hair should be more effective than DCing on wet hair, because the dry cuticle has room to absorb all the conditioner, as opposed to wet hair, when the cuticle has water taking up room that the conditioner could use.

I do both. Just .. depends on my mood, I guess.

Dry hair does call for me using more conditioner though.

HTH.

JUst what she said

freshlikemoi

For some reason, I feel more confident that the product is working after my hair is wet. Furthermore, I feel like I use more product when it is dry, to get that moist feeling.

--But it seems like alot of you long haired ladies do it dry, so I'm going to give it a try.

joytimes10

I have always DC'd on dry hair, usually for at least 2 hrs or overnight. I hate jumping in and out of the shower. It works for me but if your hair reponds better wet and w/ heat, go for it. Some hair is more porous than others and maybe that's what it comes down to, porosity.

Sunshyn3

I've never really tried DC'ing on dry hair. I've heard a lot of raves about it. i've always been one to DC on damp hair (I t-shirt dry for 10 mins after I shampoo to remove all the water out). I'll try it out this week. Do you ladies lightly condition (cheapy) after you deep condition and shampoo?

Ericka

I just did this yesterday. I applied a deep conditioner and sat under the dryer for about 45 mins then hopped in the shower and rinsed and then shampooed. I must say, may hair came out so soft and moisturized. I usually only deep condition for 20 mins, but that extra 25 mins did wonders.

joytimes10

I've never really tried DC'ing on dry hair. I've heard a lot of raves about it. i've always been one to DC on damp hair (I t-shirt dry for 10 mins after I shampoo to remove all the water out). I'll try it out this week. Do you ladies lightly condition (cheapy) after you deep condition and shampoo?

Yes, I do, for slip when detangling, then I leave in a little and bun usually. I've been using GVP Nexuss Humectress or HE LTR.

LovelyLionessa

Yes, I always condition with something moisturizing after shampooing.

Leesh

I guess my concern is more so the products I use during the week (which contain cones) clogging the strands plus my hair is really dirty by day 6 b/c I work out 4-5 days a week so it seemed conditioning on dirty hair wouldn't be beneficial...however, my last two washes I did it and my hair came out so silky and was way more manageable during my wash... So I'm guessing it was effective :yep:

I totally agree Kami11213, I wash first, then I allow to Air-Dry, and then I DC!

I DC on dry hair.....and just started....my hair is actually in better shape but I use ORS replenishing conditioner in a bottle......no problems......I might stop prepooing since I DC on dry hair....but everything looks good to me.......but after I shampoo I still condition for like 5 mins or for the rest of my shower, so I'm getting like double conditioning....

morehairplease

Hope that you don't mind if I interject on this one....I know that it is better to do this on fine/thin as many conditioners tend to weigh our (fine hair) down and one can get the benefits without the "weight" by using it on dry hair.

I am trying this for the second time today and so far I plan on continuing to deep condition on dry hair and poo then following morning. Let's just hope that my fine strands appreciate my effort:lachen:

ETA: Deep conditioning on dry hair is definitely a hit for me. My hair had soaked up the conditioner and felt like silk when I rinsed/shampooed this morning.

Last edited: