Deep Conditioning on dry hair

kami11213

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this...

Does DC on dry hair penetrate the hair as good as DC on clean, wet hair?

I DC on dry hair b/c I hate jumping in and out the shower...my routine is slathering on conditioner, sitting under the dryer for 30 minutes, washing and rollersetting or bunning...this regimen is new for me, I use to pre-poo, wash then DC...

My concern is that b/c I have product on my hair the conditioner won't penetrate as thoroughly as it would if I was doing it on clean hair and I won't get the full effects of the conditioner if that makes sense :ohwell:...

What do you guys think?

HoneyDew

I do it weekly and my hair loves it.

I use ORS Replenishing.

But it is pretty watery and dampens my hair well.

I think for my thicker conditioners I would prefer to apply on wet hair.

I know what you mean about jumping in and out of the shower though.

I put the ORS on my dry hair, put on a plastic cap and a scarf, workout for an hour, and then shampoo and use a rinse out conditioner.

It works well for me and Shampooing afterwards does not remove the effects of the conditioning.

Glib Gurl

I dc on dry hair all the time, but when I do so, I do it overnight. That way it can REALLY penetrate my hair :yep: I use Silicon Mix to dc. (Usually I do that when I'm co-washing. If I'm doing a regular shampoo, I won't dc, but now I have to since I'm doing the bootcamp.)

GL!

hillytmj

I didn't have as much success DCing on dry hair as I do with wet hair. I also sit under a hooded dryer with the cond and a cap on.

However, I bet if you sleep with it on dry hair overnight (like previous posters have said), it probably would work.

Simply_Kelz

Theoretically, DCing on dry hair should be more effective than DCing on wet hair, because the dry cuticle has room to absorb all the conditioner, as opposed to wet hair, when the cuticle has water taking up room that the conditioner could use.

I do both. Just .. depends on my mood, I guess.

Dry hair does call for me using more conditioner though.

HTH.

Denise11

Kami11213 your hair is so beautful! Maybe you should continue to do what got your hair looking so good. I say, If it ain't broke don't fix it.

kami11213

I guess my concern is more so the products I use during the week (which contain cones) clogging the strands plus my hair is really dirty by day 6 b/c I work out 4-5 days a week so it seemed conditioning on dirty hair wouldn't be beneficial...however, my last two washes I did it and my hair came out so silky and was way more manageable during my wash... So I'm guessing it was effective :yep:

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Theoretically, DCing on dry hair should be more effective than DCing on wet hair, because the dry cuticle has room to absorb all the conditioner, as opposed to wet hair, when the cuticle has water taking up room that the conditioner could use.

I do both. Just .. depends on my mood, I guess.

Dry hair does call for me using more conditioner though.

HTH.

Same as simply kelz...I usually DC wet but have been doing dry DC treaments weekly and have definately noticed my hair is more moisturized this way. Both work fine tho and get the job done. :yep:

blasianbeauty

I prefer DCing on clean hair that's almost %100 towel dried. That way, I know that all of the oils and sprays that I used throughout the week isn't sitting on the hair shaft blocking the condish from penetrating. Kami you have beautiful hair btw. :)

Last edited:

HoneyDew

I guess my concern is more so the products I use during the week (which contain cones) clogging the strands plus my hair is really dirty by day 6 b/c I work out 4-5 days a week so it seemed conditioning on dirty hair wouldn't be beneficial...however, my last two washes I did it and my hair came out so silky and was way more manageable during my wash... So I'm guessing it was effective :yep:

I don't think other products would make the conditioning ineffective.

Again, I would be concerned about the thicker richer conditioners though. Seems like they would work better on wet hair, even if you don't shampoo first.

I mean, if other products made conditioning on dry hair ineffective, that would mean daily moisturizing, oiling and/or co washing would be kinda ineffective too.

So I know deep conditioning on dry hair can work, depending on the conditoner.

blasianbeauty

Again, I would be concerned about the thicker richer conditioners though. Seems like they would work better on wet hair, even if you don't shampoo first.

I mean, if other products made conditioning on dry hair ineffective, that would mean daily moisturizing, oiling and/or co washing would be kinda ineffective too.

Interesting point. I have about four packets of ORS so I'm gonna try it on my dry hair first, rinse it then DC with Redken Real Control to see how my hair turns out.

adw425

My hair comes out better when I DC (and CO wash) by applying the DC, protein treatment or conditioner with which I am CO washing on dry hair. For DCs, I just let my hair air dry after washing it before I apply my DC concoction.

Last edited:

Determined22

I DC on dry hair. I started doing it because I was trying to cut down on my routine, and then I found that the results I got were better than if I DC'ed on wet hair.

The way I think about it, if you DC on wet hair, your hair is already "filled up" with water, so the conditioner won't penetrate as well. On dry hair, DC is sucked up by your hair like water is sucked into a sponge.

ShaniKeys

I tried DCing on dry hair once with Ojon restorative treatment and wasn't impressed. I always DC my damp/towel dried hair.

charmtreese

I've tried both ways but prefer DC on clean damp hair. Since my cuticles are open from washing, I feel that the conditioner can penetrate better. I do not believe that water is that powerful that my conditioner will become ineffective. Of course If I do a pre treatment it's done on dry hair and I usually use Ojon Restorative treatment.

kami11213

This is very true, I didn't think about it that way...thanks HoneyDew

cutiebe2

I always DC on dry hair. If it have washed it, I make sure to towel dry it so its damp. I never DC on hair that is more than damp. Its just a habit now. Once you put a shower cap on or use heat with it, the hair will be moist and wet.

Solitude

I DC on my dry hair as part of my pre-poo regimen. I feel like it "prepares" my hair for the rigors of shampooing, styling, etc & I definitely see a noticeable improvement in moisture retention in my hair.

Lucky's Mom

I dc on dry hair all the time, but when I do so, I do it overnight. That way it can REALLY penetrate my hair :yep: I use Silicon Mix to dc. (Usually I do that when I'm co-washing. If I'm doing a regular shampoo, I won't dc, but now I have to since I'm doing the bootcamp.)

GL!

OT - GLIB!!!! YOUR HAIR!!!!! Wonderful!

On topic: I have been DC'ing on dry hair for - a long time now.... ( PRE POO IS A MUST FOR ME) and I have had great success)

Remember - most conditioners have water content... So - You are 'wetting' your hair.

jazzzmoods

I have been DCing on dry hair, slathering on the conditioner, sitting under dryer for 30 minutes or so and then in the shower I dampen my hair and use a mild shampoo (SLS free) shampoo straight into the DC. Seems to be working well, gets my hair clean without stripping it.......sorta the best of both worlds.....I massage the shampoo into my scalp and then rinse it ALL out (DC, SHAMPOO and any oils I may have added) and my hair feels FABULOUS afterward. It helps cut down on the routine and the results seem to be working well.

Your hair is GORGEOUS......I say keep doing what you are doing

kami11213

So I think DC on dry hair is a keeper for me :yep:... I tried it again during my wash today and my hair came out so soft and manageable... plus it's really convenient. The only problem is I have to use a ton of conditioner to get all of my hair wet :ohwell:

Chameleonchick

I really don't know if its better or not....Personally I like DC on wet hair after I do everything else becuase thats all part of the fun for me, but I have tried it on dry hair didn't really notice the difference.

jazzzmoods

So I think DC on dry hair is a keeper for me :yep:... I tried it again during my wash today and my hair came out so soft and manageable... plus it's really convenient. The only problem is I have to use a ton of conditioner to get all of my hair wet :ohwell:

I have a spray "EQYSS Premier Rehydrant Spray" that I purchased when I bought MegaTek and I have not known a good way to use it since I wear my hair straight and it is a very "wet" product. I have been adding it to my hair when I DC on dry hair, it allows me to use less DC product and it is also hydrating itself so seems to be an added benefit to the entire process.

kami11213

I have a spray "EQYSS Premier Rehydrant Spray" that I purchased when I bought MegaTek and I have not known a good way to use it since I wear my hair straight and it is a very "wet" product. I have been adding it to my hair when I DC on dry hair, it allows me to use less DC product and it is also hydrating itself so seems to be an added benefit to the entire process.

Thanks jazzz... something like this is exactly what I need... I went through over half a bottle of ORS Replenishing today :nono:

GoldenBreeze

My hair seems to soak up the conditioner better when I condition on dry hair. I do notice that I need to use more conditioner, because I like for the conditioner to make the hair feel as though it was put on wet hair. If my hair is dirty, I notice that the conditioner pulls the dirt off, because the conditioner will look a little different in color. I don't seem to have build up, and my hair is growing very well.