Daily Shampoo-ers/Co-Wash-ers

Tenacious

I've just jumped on the daily wash train! I've seen tons of ladies that have gained progress due to daily washing/co-washing. I want to know how many ladies on this board swear by daily shampoo/co-washing!

It was evident to me that keeping a clean scalp had to be the answer (along with retaining ends and preventing breakage). Another girl (who is BSL/3b) talked with me about black hair and she said she washes her hair every other day, if not, it would dry out and get dirty. I was convinced, being that she was among the many ladies I know with long, black hair. (Note, she was APL last Fall semester)

So ladies, tell me, what do you shampoo/condition with, your hair type, hair length and progress you've made by daily washing. Thanks!

MrsWatson

Hey,

For the past month and a half i've been doing daily co washes. I am a 4b and I can't speak on growth just yet, but the overall shape of my hair has improved drastically. I have less breakage and my hair feels waaaay better (softer and easier to manage). I am trying to do a 10 week stretch (I have 8 weeks left) so i can tell more about my growth then, but as far as everything else daily co washing is definitely a permanent part of my regime. HTH

Tenacious

Hey,

For the past month and a half i've been doing daily co washes. I am a 4b and I can't speak on growth just yet, but the overall shape of my hair has improved drastically. I have less breakage and my hair feels waaaay better (softer and easier to manage). I am trying to do a 10 week stretch (I have 8 weeks left) so i can tell more about my growth then, but as far as everything else daily co washing is definitely a permanent part of my regime. HTH

YAY! Any more co-washers?

ravenmerlita

I alternate shampoos and conditioners depending on my mood and what my hair needs. I have been using Grow shampoo for the last month or so to see if it helps improve growth. I alternate this with my favorite shampoos Kerastase Bain Satin 3 and Kerastase Bain Prevention. For conditioner, I usually use Kerastase Masquintense for fine hair. I almost always pre-poo with something since I know I'm washing it out the next morning. Ojon or coconut oil are the pre-poos I use the most but I also have a quite a few overnight conditioning treatments.

My hair is 3c, just at the top of brastrap. I've grown my hair from neck/chin length. Frequent washing is one part of the puzzle for growing my hair -- other parts are good products, regular deep conditioning and protein treatments.

audacity.

I've just jumped on the daily wash train! I've seen tons of ladies that have gained progress due to daily washing/co-washing. I want to know how many ladies on this board swear by daily shampoo/co-washing!

It was evident to me that keeping a clean scalp had to be the answer (along with retaining ends and preventing breakage). Another girl (who is BSL/3b) talked with me about black hair and she said she washes her hair every other day, if not, it would dry out and get dirty. I was convinced, being that she was among the many ladies I know with long, black hair. (Note, she was APL last Fall semester)

So ladies, tell me, what do you shampoo/condition with, your hair type, hair length and progress you've made by daily washing. Thanks!

I've been co-washing 4-6 times per week since late November 07 and I love it! I use Suave Humectant, my hair type is 4a and I can't really report my actual progress. I've got progress pics linked in my siggy.

Co-washing is def a keeper unitl I reach my goal length.

Caramela

I found this shampoo and conditioner at the Dollar Tree. It's by Jheri Redding and for $1 this stuff is really moisturizing. It comes in different fruity flavors Mango, Kiwi, Citrus... I stocked up on the stuff. For a buck, you can't beat that! :yep:

LongHairDreams

I alternate shampoos and conditioners depending on my mood and what my hair needs. I have been using Grow shampoo for the last month or so to see if it helps improve growth. I alternate this with my favorite shampoos Kerastase Bain Satin 3 and Kerastase Bain Prevention. For conditioner, I usually use Kerastase Masquintense for fine hair. I almost always pre-poo with something since I know I'm washing it out the next morning. Ojon or coconut oil are the pre-poos I use the most but I also have a quite a few overnight conditioning treatments.

My hair is 3c, just at the top of brastrap. I've grown my hair from neck/chin length. Frequent washing is one part of the puzzle for growing my hair -- other parts are good products, regular deep conditioning and protein treatments.

How long did it take to grow from neck/chin to bsl?

MizAvalon

Kerastase products are the BOMB!:grin:

I co-wash everyday with anything from a cheapie VO5 or Suave condtioner, to a Dominican conditioner. I save my good conditioners for DC. CW has been really beneficial to me. My hair is nowhere near as dry as it once was, I can't remember the last time I saw a dandruff flake, and it always smells yummy!:yep:

It will always remain a part of my regimen. Perhaps not as frequently as every day, but I will continue CW for a long, long time. :)

ravenmerlita

Kerastase products are the BOMB!:grin:

I co-wash everyday with anything from a cheapie VO5 or Suave condtioner, to a Dominican conditioner. I save my good conditioners for DC. CW has been really beneficial to me. My hair is nowhere near as dry as it once was, I can't remember the last time I saw a dandruff flake, and it always smells yummy!:yep:

It will always remain a part of my regimen. Perhaps not as frequently as every day, but I will continue CW for a long, long time. :)

Kerastase really works for me. I am still searching for the right co-wash conditioner though. Most of the conditioners I have are too heavy and if I don't shampoo before my hair can feel coated.

girlyprincess23

do any of you ladies notice short broken pieces of hair when you co-wash? that's what's scarimg me away from doing it!! i always have these little short broken hairs in my fingers while im doing it!!

shelly25

I cowash 2-3 times a week. I'm using the VO5 moisture milks conditioner for now...makes my hair so soft!

morehairplease

I found this shampoo and conditioner at the Dollar Tree. It's by Jheri Redding and for $1 this stuff is really moisturizing. It comes in different fruity flavors Mango, Kiwi, Citrus... I stocked up on the stuff. For a buck, you can't beat that! :yep:

hi there Caramela,
I am going to try the dollar tree and big lots to see if they have this b/c my little one would love them

LABETT

I bought the Citrus and Mango conditioner today from the Dollar Tree and cant wait to try them,hoping for the sames results as you.

amwcah

do any of you ladies notice short broken pieces of hair when you co-wash? that's what's scarimg me away from doing it!! i always have these little short broken hairs in my fingers while im doing it!!

This should not be happening! You need to find the root of your breakage. Do you deep condition? Have you done a hardcore protein treatment? Too much moisture? Too much protein? What do you shampoo/condition with? How often? Are you stretching?

caliber38

Hey I get those things everytime i wash....i dont think its a big deal. Its probably just shedding. My hair is doin just fine. I havent started washing daily yet but im definately considering it.

Last edited:

graCeful_89

Yeah I just noticed that I have been washing my hair ever other day for a week now. I just LOVE how it looks when its clean and my breakage is slowly (but surely) going away.

I'm airdrying as we speak. I just used my newly purchased Pantene Pro-V Relaxed for Women of Color and combed through some Cantu Leave-In Shea Butter. I also rubbed in a little Hot 6 Oil/ORS Soy Oil for a nice seal & shine. I'll let you know how it looks/feels tomorrow when its dry!

Cichelle

I wash my hair frequently and I do not experience this. However, I have read posts from people who do. Pokahontas and nappywomyn (sp)? have mentioned that they see little broken hairs no matter how gentle they are when they wash. I hope I'm getting this right. Perhaps they will come in an correct me.

Some people find that daily or frequent washing is not for them. They say it is too much manipulation. You have to see what is the case for your hair. But if you are experiencing a lot of breakage, you should probably try to find out if there is some cause that can be corrected.

On topic:

My hair is 3b/c, F/M, natural. I used to cowash daily, using a variety of conditioners. Now I wash a few times a week, using a shampoo bar, oils and butters as my only products. I believe daily cowashing was an important factor in growth and retaining my length. That is why I have continued keeping my scalp clean with frequent washings. I just use oils and butters instead of commercial conditioners now.

Filmatic

My hair has been doing better since I upped the co washing. I was cw 2x a week and clarifying once which has helped, but then I started cw 3-4x a week and it feels alot better. I am going to try for 6 and clarifying once. My hair feels moisturized and soft. I don't get broken hair, just a tiny amount of shedding.

LongHairDreams

This should not be happening! You need to find the root of your breakage. Do you deep condition? Have you done a hardcore protein treatment? Too much moisture? Too much protein? What do you shampoo/condition with? How often? Are you stretching?

So frequent co-washing/shampooing doesn't create extra moisture?
When I rince my hair before I add conditioner or shampoo I see hair in the sink. Im assuming, like someone mentioned that this is normal shedding.

Last edited:

Tenacious

Nope, not anymore. I know what you mean. This means that your hair is very weak. Hair should be able to withstand daily water & products, but if not, it sounds like you need a protein treatment.

I used Aphogee 2 minute Keratin Reconstructor and that helped lots with my breakage. Also, I co-wash and shampoo with products specifically targeted towards anti-breakage. Try co-washing with Tresemmé Anti-Breakage Conditioner. I loved this because my hair was tons stronger. I also use Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship Conditioner because it focuses on long hair care problems of breakage and split ends to maintain long, healthy hair.

Fix your breakage problem and I guarantee you will reap the many benefits of co-washing. It's refreshing and does contribute to a cleaner scalp (meaning faster hair growth....) Hope that helps a bit!

Tenacious

So frequent co-washing/shampooing doesn't create extra moisture?
When I rince my hair before I add conditioner or shampoo I see hair in the sink. Im assuming, like someone mentioned that this is normal shedding.

We tend to forget that the human head sheds 150-300 hairs daily. When we see hair in the shower, we freak out. Many of us aren't used to washing daily so when we see hair come out every day, we often think it's breakage. Many women with long hair shed lots. Many white women shed lots of hair. I end up with my roommates hair on me (or somewhere in my room) all the time.

I would only be worried if you are getting massive golf-ball sized balls of hair or more. Then that may be breakage. Also, check the tips of the hairs that you see. If there is a white-ish bulb on the end, it's a shed hair. If not, its a broken hair.

LongHairDreams

We tend to forget that the human head sheds 150-300 hairs daily. When we see hair in the shower, we freak out. Many of us aren't used to washing daily so when we see hair come out every day, we often think it's breakage. Many women with long hair shed lots. Many white women shed lots of hair. I end up with my roommates hair on me (or somewhere in my room) all the time.

I would only be worried if you are getting massive golf-ball sized balls of hair or more. Then that may be breakage. Also, check the tips of the hairs that you see. If there is a white-ish bulb on the end, it's a shed hair. If not, its a broken hair.

Ok. I see a combination but mostly breakage. But its only a quarter size ball. So should I get some kind of shampoo you mentioned? I love my CON.

Tenacious

Ok. I see a combination but mostly breakage. But its only a quarter size ball. So should I get some kind of shampoo you mentioned? I love my CON.

It's not so much the shampoo, its really the conditioner that helps strengthen and build elasticity.

Try Tresemmé Anti-Breakage Conditioner, Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship (two of my favorites) or any other conditioner that helps with breakage. I do this daily and it helped the overall strength of my hair in very little time.

Also, it could be how you detangle. I detangle with a Denman daily (It doesn't contribute to breakage for me). But using a good detangling tool more often can reduce the amount of breakage and shedding you see. The first time I used my Denman, i wash shocked at how much hair I had leftover, tangling into my hairs and causing breakage. This in combination with a strengthening products should help.

EMJazzy

Happily retired

I co-wash with that very same brand!!!! Can't beat that for a dollar. :yep::up: They didn't have the Kiwi so I purchased the Mango and Citrus!!!

noemi

I swear by this. My hair has adjusted by now its oily by the second day if I miss a day. Whereas before, my hair wouldn't be "oily" until after a week of not washing. Now, I can't go through 2 days!