Curlformers

Can't wait for your update.

HairPleezeGrow. This was okay, but admittedly I might not have used enough foam...I used about 1/2 a pump per section. The curls didn't have any hold, so it's no surprise that they've frizzed and aren't as defined 12 hrs later.

I'd be willing to give it another shot with a full pump per section.

Tomorrow I'm going to try ecostyler argan oil vs a full pump of JC foam. I need to have my set right by Tuesday.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
How is everyone moisturizing their set hair? Are you only moisturizing before putting the Curlformers in?

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
HairPleezeGrow. This was okay, but admittedly I might not have used enough foam...I used about 1/2 a pump per section. The curls didn't have any hold, so it's no surprise that they've frizzed and aren't as defined 12 hrs later.

Tomorrow I'm going to try ecostyler argan oil vs a full pump of JC foam. I need to have my set right by Tuesday.

Thanks for the update. That's the problem I'm having is hold!

Honey Bee

Got them(generic-vakind) for Christmas(yay) and tried them that day. Well it came out great! I put in all 40 but went out to the movies and they fell due to South Fla's humidity. I co-washed then applied eco with olive oil(green one) hopping it would hold. I did however only apply about a dime size or less of eco. I didn't want my curls to be stiff...any suggestions. I know I could try more eco but I do not want stiff curls.
RaeShouna, :sekret: I don't wanna commit 'hair heresy', but being that folks are back to using grease, what about some 'Let's Jam'? :look:

Guinan

Re-Branding
@HairPleezeGrow. This was okay, but admittedly I might not have used enough foam...I used about 1/2 a pump per section. The curls didn't have any hold, so it's no surprise that they've frizzed and aren't as defined 12 hrs later.

YaniraNaturally, I use eco styler gel too for my curl formers. I use the green jar. It has great hold and my curls come out nice and soft. The only thing that I don't like is that I get white flakes if I apply to much hair gel.

RaeShouna

Honey Bee
Not sure I want to go that route...besides the gel, I use only natural products in my hair. I am going to try more gel today. I will re-dampen the hair since it's still in its original curl pieces....so no re-parting for me. I'm lazy and pressed for time lol.

Renewed1

I'm texlaxed so I was trying to find a way to straighten my hair without using a lot of heat.

Curl formers did a good job, I wouldn't sleep in these things. I pin curled my hair up so we'll see how it comes out tomorrow.

I just need a faster way to install these things. I may experience flexible rods....

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Another use for curlformers:

Been using them on the ends of my twists for my twist outs since I don't have enough satin sponge rollers. Gives a them a nice stretch and a little extra curl. I got about ten in now.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
How is everyone moisturizing their set hair? Are you only moisturizing before putting the Curlformers in?

Nightingale I DC before a set and that's it. Otherwise it reverts if using water based products. If it starts drying out its time to start over with another wash and DC. I keep them refreshed with a butter or oil.

RaeShouna

Update: *sorry no pics
They still fell but it could be due to two things. 1. Sections are too thick(if so I need another pack) 2. My attempt to stretch via Nap85's technique needs work. I may be twisting them together to tight, leaving the hair as a thick coil instead of curl.
The gel did turn out soft but had a little hold...see issue 1. Some flaking where I used too much gel.
Wearing a side braid,bun,or fishtail when I get to work. Right now it's in two buns to keep it stretched.

RaeShouna

Update#2: I did put a couple of curlformers in the front of my hair overnight in smaller sections (didn't mention this on last post) just to see how it does. The curls did swell a little due to humidity but still look like curls. And I did them in smaller sections.
Conclusion: my two issues were correct. I need more curlformers for smaller sections. And not to twist them too thight to preserve them.

In the meantime I will use them to stretch my hair for other styles, until I can purchase another set.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I just did my two older girls' hair with the curlformers using a leave in, a butter and ecostyler gel. I will see if this gives more hold.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I did me and my two older girls hair yesterday. Actually by the time I got finished with there's during the day, I ended up doing mine last night. Anyway I used 1 1/2 packs and me and my second oldest and two packs on my oldest. This time I used ecostyler for hold after applying LI and a butter. My girls hair came out really nice with gr8 hold. Some crunch but not too worried bc maybe the style will last longer. They did however get white flakes in their hair that I don't like. I got hold as we'll but no crunch or white flakes and I used a lot of gel on my hair. I don't get it but ah we'll. I did use a soft brush to smooth the hair b4 I put it through the curlformers and that helped a lot. The hair wasn't trying to curl onto itself in the curlformers and our ends came out wonderful. I didn't separate the hair yet and probably won't. Anyway pics or it never happened right....oh and we all slept in these things!!! I said last time I wouldn't but I needed my hair to set and dry and no time for dryer or too lazy lol either way it did set gr8 but next time I don't care I'm sitting under the dryer.w e had morning faces y'all lol...

View attachment 240223

View attachment 240225

View attachment 240227

View attachment 240229

View attachment 240231

View attachment 240235

View attachment 240237

View attachment 240249

View attachment 240247

View attachment 240243

View attachment 240245

View attachment 240241

View attachment 240233

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Welp my curlformer set did not last throughout the night! Lol I even pineappled...When I removed the scarf my hair was stuck in that position. I shook it out and tried to get it to lay down but a no go. I just bantu knotted my hair up into a whimpy bun!

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I will give it a try...any one in particular you recommend?

Lottabody is good and smooths really nice. Great hold and shine. It's concentrated and the directions say it must be diluted with water. Add a butter or LI to avoid crunch.

Mizani is good too with hold and shine but the hold doesn't last as long. Smells like heaven. No need to dilute but I do and there's no crunch that way.

SN, my hair is fine and never holds sets more than a couple days, so ymmv on that.
HairPleezeGrow

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Welp my curlformer set did not last throughout the night! Lol I even pineappled...When I removed the scarf my hair was stuck in that position. I shook it out and tried to get it to lay down but a no go. I just bantu knotted my hair up into a whimpy bun!

I 2nd the eco gel. I use the olive oil one. HairPleezeGrow, My only gripe is that if u use too much, you can get white flakes. Friday will make it a week that ive had my set in. I don't wear mines out until the 2nd week. I keep my set in for 2 wks. The 1st week i keep them pinned up & then the 2nd wk i wear them down.

Here r pics of day 6 of my set

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140102_130337.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140102_130337.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20140102_130355.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140102_130355.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 90

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Lottabody is good and smooths really nice. Great hold and shine. It's concentrated and the directions say it must be diluted with water. Add a butter or LI to avoid crunch. Mizani is good too with hold and shine but the hold doesn't last as long. Smells like heaven. No need to dilute but I do and there's no crunch that way. SN, my hair is fine and never holds sets more than a couple days, so ymmv on that. HairPleezeGrow ____________ *.~.*Sent from a distant Galaxy in the Unicorn-verse*.~.*

Thanks I will look into lottabody.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I 2nd the eco gel. I use the olive oil one. HairPleezeGrow, My only gripe is that if u use too much, you can get white flakes. Friday will make it a week that ive had my set in. I don't wear mines out until the 2nd week. I keep my set in for 2 wks. The 1st week i keep them pinned up & then the 2nd wk i wear them down. Here r pics of day 6 of my set

I didn't get any flakes using it...but I typically don't with ecostyler. My girls did however. Your set is gorgeous. When I get some length then I can pin up and it could hide how thin my hair is. I don't have a lot of density so length would help me hide that if I where the style pinned.