Airdrying in Curlformers?

LadyPaniolo

What kind of results do you get when you airdry in Curlformers? I wouldn't mind sitting under the dryer sometimes, but it just isn't feasible all the time.

So who here airdries with Curlformers? What results to you get, compared to using the dryer, and do you have pics?

ETA: I'm natural, 4a

Last edited:

Dposh167

All i do is air dry with them. I get smooth curls which is weird considering im airdrying...but the pics are in fotki

Soliel185

I don't have pics to compare dryer set vs airdrying, but from what I can recall there's no difference. I slept in them once too and still got a shiny smooth set. :yep:

sydwrites

I havent tried airdrying, but I did see pics on here for both and I believe the air dried set just looks a lot more dull; the curls are still uniform but didnt have that smooth roller-set look. If you have a silkier texture naturally, then i'd say go for it, but if your hair needs curlformers to do a good roller-set, then i'd say back to the dryer for you! For me, I know I can only do the dryer, especially for the bigger ones.

~CurlyNikki~

I have natural hair and the results are silky for a day or 2, but things can get poofy real soon after that. Also, don't let it be humid- it won't last one day. I don't like hooded dryers, so I only use CurlFormers in the winter, and I usually bun the hair.

hth!
nikki

Nonie

I used them on my mom who's 4B natural and airdried and she got the same results she gets with a curling iron.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Hey, Joyous:

I'm natural now, and I haven't used my skinny Curlformers since I big chopped. However, I did airdry with them in my hair while I was transitioning. I was 13 months post relaxer at the time with a whole lotta new growth (see pics). My hair came out very straight, until I picked them out and they poofed up during a humid day:

Freshly washed hair

Curlformers in

Curlformers just taken out

I picked my hair out too much later that day (frizz city)

LadyPaniolo

Wow, TaraDyan, thanks for the pics!

I see what you mean about the frizziness. I could be ok with that frizziness, though, I think. I'm mostly just wanting to stretch my hair out somewhat, so I can do updos. Of course, that's easy to say now! Maybe I'll feel differently after I get gorgeous spirals and then they get replaced with :afro:

Soliel185

I want to try and use them to make a puff. Since my ends are still bone straight the texture doesn't look right....maybe I will try a ponytail set with them.

nakialovesshoes

I don't have pics to compare dryer set vs airdrying, but from what I can recall there's no difference. I slept in them once too and still got a shiny smooth set. :yep:

I usually sleep in mine, too. Don't have the patience 2 sit under a dryer. I get the same results, however. But I agree w/the posters who spoke on the frizziness. The style doesn't last very long. :nono: