Curlformers

ChocolatePie777

Last time I used these (last week I believe)....it took me 40min exactly......I used less than 40....maybe 35....I didn't count but it wasn't my whole set......

Amarilles

Lilmama1011 I think it's more about method and styling, the more rollers you use the better defined curls. I also don't separate the curls at all, I let them separate on their own as the days pass, and I banana clip them up so they're away from my neck/clothes. 8-9 days is with setting with gel, 7 days is with setting with just a moisturizer and my cream sealant. It doesn't last this long when I leave it loose though.

Wow@folks using less than 40...last time I had to use 83. :perplexed The fewest I've used was 40 and I snagged so much dang hair, nearly every roller had all these strands left hanging inside after removing them. It was my first time and I didn't realize I was being so rough.

nemi95

Only 20? I have BSL, natural 4a/b hair, fine strands bit very dense. It takes me about 40-45 to cover my whole head. I do make them small so they last almost a week. At the end of he week it just looks like I've got soft beach waves.

Kurlee

I just tried them yesterday for the first time also. Yeah I had a problem with 2 of them but other than that it went well. DO NOT SLEEP IN THESE F******S!!! Tis all

HPG

Don't judge...Sent from my Galaxy Note II using LHCF

what happens when you sleep in them?:look:

Ogoma

I use them to stretch my hair and I love them. The curls are not really my look so I tend to separate them and get them to fall so I am glad they only last a day.

I put in 96 once, but never again. Those curls lasted and it wasn't what I wanted. I usually put in about 50 now and can go pretty fast. I always put them in while watching TV or chatting in the living room so it never feels like a chore.

It is uncomfortable to sleep in. It is hard to get a good position and if you are someone that tosses or turns you will toss and turn into an uncomfortable position. I bought the curlformer softhood dryer and I will test it out tomorrow.

RegaLady

I am thinking about purchasing these. Once the curls fall is your hair stretched enough to do nice twist outs?

I am looking for an alternative to the blow dryer.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
YES! :grin: Or at least for my hair.

I was starting to have so much trouble damp styling my hair once it passed BSL, but I think curl formers are the solution. I get AMAZING stretch. My hair isn't just stretched out though; it's super smooth too. Considering how straight I can get my hair, I'd say the stretch is better than a blowout, especially if I comb out the curls right away.

HTH! :)

I am thinking about purchasing these. Once the curls fall is your hair stretched enough to do nice twist outs? I am looking for an alternative to the blow dryer.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I love them. They were great for my transitioning hair, and they are amazing for stretching my natural hair. I can usually get them in in under an hour. I currently use 50, but I almost ran out when I did my set yesterday. I'll probably buy more soon.

I prefer to sleep in them when I want to airdry because my hair takes forever to dry in general (low porosity problems). If I need to dry them during the day, I'll usually go under the hood dryer for an hour.

When I was transitioning, I pincurled them at night to preserve them. Now, I'm usually using them to stretch my hair, so I don't bother pincurling.

Pennefeather

I may need to give these a try. It i can keep them in for week by pinning them up, I think it would be worthwhile.

Saga

The Generous Queen
I both use and LOVE curlformers, they are the best no-heat method for stretching my hair and I think my hair has benefitted from the break form me blow drying it (cause air drying never turns out well for me). I want to invest in a hooded dryer so that it can set faster because, like everyone said, these things HURT to sleep in.

andromeda

Tried them (bootleg ones - 40 for $15) for the first time last week. used on damp hair with moisturizer and aloe Vera gel. half-way through the night, I found sleeping almost face-down to be pretty comfortable. I was surprised my how straight and smooth they got my hair -a bit too smooth tbh, since I like having texture/nappyness to my hair. I also dont like the Shirley temple curls but I think these will be an excellent way to cut down on the ssks and tangling I suffer from.

Now I have to figure out how to maintain them longer. my hair has thinned out a lot, so I feel like I have to separate the curls, but I know that cuts back on the style's longevity.

i'll also definitely be using these before flat-ironing. I'm not that great at blowdrying and its a headache anyways, and the curlformers get my hair straighter with less effort and potential damage. Tradeoff in time is worth it.

CarefreeinChicago

I am thinking about purchasing these. Once the curls fall is your hair stretched enough to do nice twist outs?

I am looking for an alternative to the blow dryer.

Yes, that's what I do. After the second night I two strand twist at night and untwist every morning.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I like them.

THe more you use, the straighter the stretch. Setting lotions help with smoothness.

Installing gets faster with time. The first time, it took me almost 2 hours to install all 40. Now it's maybe 45 min or less depending on how many I use.

I sleep just fine in mine. Probably because I use the short ones. I cant imagine the long or extra longs.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
This thread is further increasing my interest in buying some Curlformers. How do you know which ones to buy? I'm so confused. Wide? Long? Is there a problem buying ones longer than you need in anticipation of your hair getting longer? Help. TIA.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
This thread is further increasing my interest in buying some Curlformers. How do you know which ones to buy? I'm so confused. Wide? Long? Is there a problem buying ones longer than you need in anticipation of your hair getting longer? Help. TIA.

I bought the extra long and wide knowing my hair isn't no where near to fill up the roller but it was in anticipation that one Day it will. My daughters' hair will do nicely in them though.

HPG

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
I like them.

THe more you use, the straighter the stretch. Setting lotions help with smoothness.

Installing gets faster with time. The first time, it took me almost 2 hours to install all 40. Now it's maybe 45 min or less depending on how many I use.

I sleep just fine in mine. Probably because I use the short ones. I cant imagine the long or extra longs.

Maybe that's why mine were so uncomfortable bc I have the extra long ones lol.

HPG

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
Oh and this was my set for anyone that wanted to see. I used 33 curlformers and alternated between the pink and orange ones. I used DE stretching cream and DE gel but it didn't leave me with one ounce of hold lol.

ForumRunner_20131215_131420.jpg

ForumRunner_20131215_131433.jpg

20131214_170034-1.jpg

HPG

krissyhair

Only 20? I have BSL, natural 4a/b hair, fine strands bit very dense. It takes me about 40-45 to cover my whole head. I do make them small so they last almost a week. At the end of he week it just looks like I've got soft beach waves.

nemi95 I have thin and fine hair. There's hardly any density. As a child my mom always used products on me marketed for fine hair. 20 curl formers is plenty for me. But perhaps I can have better definition with more.

veesweets

I bought the extra long and wide knowing my hair isn't no where near to fill up the roller but it was in anticipation that one Day it will. My daughters' hair will do nicely in them though.

HPG

I did the same thing as HPG. I bought the extra long & wide so my hair could 'grow' into them. I thought about getting the extra long & extra wide, but I didn't think I wanted curls that big. Long & narrow didn't even cross my mind cause I hate super tight curls

Guinan

Re-Branding

@DarkJoy, I would suggest the extra long and wide. When I purchased the extra wide and long, I was between SL and APL. Now I'm BSL, and I am happy that I got the extra wide and long. The curlformers are tight around the root, so you don't have to worry about them slipping off.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I've had all three widths. I think it is a matter of personal preference. The long and narrow was to skinny for me, so I gave them away. The long and wide are my favorite. The Curl on the extra wide is too big right now, but I may love it when my hair is longer.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
would you guys consider curlformers a protective style?

Yes especially if you can get the set to last a week or more.

ETA- I retract my previous statement to say yes a low mani style not a PS!

HPG

Last edited:

Kurlee

mine lasted for a day :look:, but i think it's because I didn't stay under the dryer long enough. I stayed for 45 minutes and while my hair felt dry, it wasn't dry-dry.