CORNROWS

SHOBROWN856

Hi, everybody this is my first time posting to the board,I'm a newbie and have just been lurking for awhile. I noticed that there are quite a few post on cornrows, but I was wondering if you guys are using your own hair for the cornrows or with added hair (synthetic or human). I considering cornrows for myself and covering them with a wig especially for these winter months, however I was wondering about the care of them. I'll be using just my own hair and wanted to know can I wash them (since I'll be wearing a wig, I'm not concerned with the frizzy's, what I am concerned with is will my hair matte up or lock in the cornrows when I wash them(I'm thinking of washing them in the cornrows, and every two weeks taking them out to give them a good wash and deep condition and then redoing then rebraiding them. Also I workout alot so this is another concern

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I cornrow with my own hair. One thing to do before cornrowing is moisturize your scalp and hair. The itchies are nothing to play with. I use olive oil and tea tree oil on my scalp and I massage it in. Then I place a plastic bag over my head to seal in heat and moisture. I follow with a wash out. I don't know about 2 weeks-the longest I could take my cornrows was 5 days. BTW, hello and welcome.

SHOBROWN856

Thanks, Bublnbrnsuga for the reply, so really your giving yourself something like a hot oil treatment prior to doing the cornrows, also did you find you were able to get alot of growth from this process? I noticed your pictures and it looks like you have. Have you posted your regimen somewhere?

HotCoCoGurl130

and welcome. I use my own hair for cornrows and yes I can only keep them in for about 5 days and then I can do a braidout for another 5 days. I do moisturize TWICE a day with water and then seal it in with oil.

aikaa71

i cornrow my own hair. There is a lady who does my cornrows, she does them really small and neat.
At the moment i have cornrows(about 40 tiny ones) that end up at the crown area and the rest of my hair i wear in a braid out.I rinse or do a conditioner wash every 2nd day. i started using avacado oil, it helps with frizz

B

Bublnbrnsuga

[ QUOTE ]
SHOBROWN856 said:
Thanks, Bublnbrnsuga for the reply, so really your giving yourself something like a hot oil treatment prior to doing the cornrows, also did you find you were able to get alot of growth from this process? I noticed your pictures and it looks like you have. Have you posted your regimen somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]

No,I have not posted my regimen.I wanted to compose a complete regimen in February,since I am trying new techniques and products on my hair. As far as the cornrows are concerned, I used to let this 14 year old girl do them.She did a great job and she did not hurt ,but some people are just not so gentle with the hair,especially when you are growing it out. The last time she did my hair,it was cute,but later I began to get knots and small bumps in my head. Like mentioned before,while she was braiding it did not hurt,but a beautician told me the reason why I received those knots is because when you sleep,you swell and the scalp tightens. This same beautician is going to be doing cornrows for me soon-she knows how to handle the hair with care.