Redo cornrows weekly or DC bi-weekly?

JudithO

Ok so here is my dilemma..

I've decided to PS with cornrows (I'm natural, very dense and dry 4b, past SL).. I wear a half wig to work, but I wear my cornrows out whenever i'm not working so I would like it to remain neat. I do my cornrows myself so the cost of redoing is not a factor.

I would like to wash and DC weekly with my cornrows, but they get fuzzy and I'll have to redo them. Is redoing them weekly too much manipulation?

Alternatively, I can moisturize and seal for 2 weeks and then DC and redo every 2 weeks. Will my hair dry out if I don't DC weekly?

For those of you that cornrow frequently, and wear them out, what do you recommend? What is your regimen?

danniegirl

Maybe u can do a few test to see how your hair holds up to just moisturizing and sealing.

For example after your first week of wearing your cornrows you could take out part of of one and see if your hair feels dry you can do that every two - three days just to give yourself an approximate date as to when you need to dc.

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

ms.blue

I leave my cornrows in for 2 weeks all the time. I wash and dc then cornrow back up again and I also moisturize every 2 days. I find this method much easier and less manipulation the better. My hair has not suffered at all and its still moisturized when I take my cornrows out. The key for me is dc w/ a moisturizing conditioners and to use heavy moisturizer before I braid my hair and refresh during the two weeks w/ light moisturizer or water.

^^ same here. I used to redo weekly, but I don't know what happened. I must be getting better at it or something, but they look neater a lot longer than they used to.

JudithO

I leave my cornrows in for 2 weeks all the time. I wash and dc then cornrow back up again and I also moisturize every 2 days. I find this method much easier and less manipulation the better. My hair has not suffered at all and its still moisturized when I take my cornrows out. The key for me is dc w/ a moisturizing conditioners and to use heavy moisturizer before I braid my hair and refresh during the two weeks w/ light moisturizer or water.

What products do you use? What's your hairtype? Regimen? Thanks...

ms.blue

judy4all,
My type is 4a/b
My main staple moisturizers are qhemet biologics amla & olive heavy cream, olive & honey hydrating balm and burdock root buttercream. My leave-in of choice is knot today. After I wash and dc my hair (I add honey to my deep conditioners for the added moisture. I also started using honeyquat and silk amino acids but I'm not sure how I like it yet). I section my hair in 8 sections while damp and I apply the aohc then ohhb then seal w/ jojoba olive oil mix (50:50) twist and bantu knot. I do this for all sections and airdry. After my hair is airdried, I check for any sections that feel a little dry and apply a little more aohc & ohhb then proceed to braid my hair up. During the week, I'll refreshing my hair by adding either diluted knot today or apply brbc to my braids. After that I wear a scarf to prevent some frizziness I may get w/ using these products. Hth!

Bublin

My cornrows look fuzzy after 2 days. I hate those sticky up hairs - mine seem to stick out straight. I don't use gel, just a thick pomade but i can't go longer than 3 days without undoing them and wearing
a braid out for a couple of days.

MzSwift

I'm gonna have to take notes from you ladies!
I cornrow and wig/headwrap during the colder months and have to redo mine weekly.
I have fine strands and I wet them daily. I don't wear them out though. I ALWAYS wear a satin skull cap over them (even under the wig). When I take the wig off, I rock a plain black (or brown) headwrap, wrapped into a low bun.

I tried to go 1.5 weeks once and I had a lot of matting in some of the rows. However when I add braiding hair, I can keep the style longer.

JudithO

My hair is extremely dry though.. I feel like going 2 weeks without washing my hair is taking a risk... I mean there are people that have long hair e.g Kimmay, Sistaslick, chicoro that wash and "manipulate" their hair weekly and they still have a head full of hair right? I'm so confused... I think I'll wash and redo weekly... monitor my hair to see how much im losing. Hopefully I don't break my hair by doing it weekly + I have hand in hair syndrome and I don't know if I can go 2 weeks without touching my hair... lol

BlkOnyx488

I have been PSing with Cornrows for almost a year. I redo them one braid at a time each week. because my hair gets very fuzzy. I only finger detangle when I do the weekly Redo I have not noticed any retention issues. Infact my hair is longer than it's ever been.

I also use head bands to cover up the fuzz when I don't feel like doing a redo.

MzSwift

^^Cosign on the finger detangling and redoing them one-by-one.

Also you can try rinsing them once or twice a week to help with moisture.

JudithO

Finger detangling sounds great to me.. I can definitely wash and DC in my cornrows.. Will let you guys know how it goes... Now if I can get the wig to stop making my scalp itch... All my problems will be solved :)

nisemac

right now, i find i have to redo them once a week. but i think (for me) its mainly due to:

--transitioning from a wng twa and length of hair --i cut off 2 1/2in (color/hard H2O damage) when i joined (down from about 5 which shrunk to look like 2 anyway). ( btw, my hair has grown 1/2 inch in the month since joining LHCF and incorporating some things i've learned \o/)

--my scalp. it likes frequent rinsing/cowashing and weekly shampooing in hot, humid weather. in colder, dryer weather, i can cowash more often, and shampoo less.

--the weather. we've had an extensive 'rainy season' which my wng would love but makes it hard for my cornrows to stayneat. if my hair gets wet, the front, back and sides come out easily.

--hair texture/curl. my medium 3c and fine 4a sections come loose quickly with the smallest amount of moisture. the coarser 4a(maybe b) crown stays put. i also think it could be my cornrow technique. I taught myself after joining, and i've noticed that when i started, i had to cowash and redo them mid week but now my tension seems more consistent and i can pretty much last a whole week, especially if i do them thin/small. i currently have 18 going straight back.

--blow drying. yes, mine last longer if I lightly blow dry my hair first and then braid. i've done this the last two weeks and they've held up much better. i do it on the cool setting to keep heat at a minimum. if i let my hair air dry, i can braid it, but as soon as the humidity gets to it, it seems to curl up a bit faster and i get the frizzies. once dry, i moisturize and seal before braiding.

as for keeping them neat, i find moisturizing, sealing, and then tying my hair down or wearing a wig cap for a bit keeps frizzies tame.

geez, when i do it, it doesn't seem like much...typing it out makes it look o_O

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I suck at cornrows. I can't wrap my brain around the concept on how to do them.:ohwell: How do you do the finger placement and keep your hair in place?:nono:

natural2008

I suck at cornrows. I can't wrap my brain around the concept on how to do them.:ohwell: How do you do the finger placement and keep your hair in place?:nono:

DDTexlaxed - Try youtube. There are tons of tutorials. I have just began to get good and flat twisting my hair into styles. You will get it try not to get discouraged. Practice makes perfect :yep:.

nisemac

DDTexlaxed hang in there. I agree with natural2008. I tried for years to cornrow--couldn' tdo my daughter's hair when she was young. I would try and try and just didn't get it. all of a sudden, i look at a few youtube vids and did a google search and saw a few picks and bam! i did it.

oh...and i've been trying for 20 years.