Coffee,Tea,ACV,AVJ,Ayurvedic&Powders Challenge 2014

ronie

I ordered the keravada kera10 ayurvedic conditioning butter last night. I am slowly introducing my hair into the ayurvedic world. Next i want to start adding some cassia and amla powder to my DC's. But that's not until march or april.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Oh my goodness DarkJoy I'm so sorry to hear you went through this:bighug: get better soon!

All of those powders can be dangerous ladies, use with caution, be especially cautious of breathing them in too!

ronie

Question ladies: does cassia open your cuticles? I think i remember reading a post from Blairx0 saying that cassia helped with her low porosity hair. TIA for responding.

Last edited:

BranwenRosewood

I spent 3 hours in the emergency room last night :(

Do NOT under any circumstances get shikakai in your eyes! It is highly caustic!

That ish got in my eye and I rinsed right away. But the 30 secs was enough to cause damage. The white part of my eye began to bubble up and blister. It looked like a freaking pillow it was so swollen. So yeah, I jetted on down to the ER.

IT TOOK OFF a little of the surface layer my eye but not enough for permanent damage, thank heaven. Itsbetter today. Doc says I will be good to go in a week.

Under no circumstances should you use this on children.

Glad you're okay!

I don't use shikakai because it makes my head itch when I use it in a paste and it screwed up my lungs when I transferred it from the box to a jar. Now I have another reason to avoid it.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
You ladies are so kind. Thank you very much for the well wishes. Feeling much better. Guess all that caustic mess is the reason it cleans so well. Burns the dirt and build up right off:lol:

Glad you're okay!

I don't use shikakai because it makes my head itch when I use it in a paste and it screwed up my lungs when I transferred it from the box to a jar. Now I have another reason to avoid it.

Yes my sinuses always irritated by the powder if it poofs into the air as well. Sends me into sneezing fits sand stuffy nose for at least an hour. You're not alone with the upper respiratory irritation either.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
And because no occular mishaps are gonna keep a hair addict out of her hair....lol...

I didn't get the chance to DC or rinse all the shikaki out so this morning it was brittle. Poured some leftover assam and lemongrass this morning. Then did a dry one hour DC with ao rose mosqueta. Washed with ao blue camomile and chased that with ao island naturals. She's all bouncy cotton now. :)

Beamodel

Finished my henna treatment, currently DC'ing with Annabelle's Blueberry DC.

My hair looks like it's a red wine color.

faithVA

I really wanted to shampoo tonight but going out so will have to wait until tomorrow. I finally made up a tea mix that makes sense for my head since reading that herbs thread. I mixed green tea, chamomile, catnip, sage, burdock root, marshmallow root, rosehip, nettle and rosemary with a little cinnamon. I added 2 cups of that to 3 tbsp of fenugreek. I will be doing my first fenugreek treatment tomorrow. I am going to go back through that herb list and buy the remainder of the teas I need to make a better blend.

I am going to check the ph of the tea and test it out as a spritz.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
DarkJoy

Lawd Ms. D-Joy! I am just logging in seeing this.:sad:

WOW! So happy you are okay and there was no Permanent Damage.:hug2:

Ladies....Everyone Please be Careful.:grouphug3:

Wenbev

finally washed out my marathon henna; was in for 9 hours. I normally tap out before 3 hours. LOL. Mixed it with black, horsetail and fenugreek teas, couple drops of patchouli EO and several squirts of honey. Washed out with cheap condish and DCd for 30 min with ssi avocado for added moisture.

BranwenRosewood

My henna today was:

about 50g Rajasthani Henna
2 tbsp Hibiscus Powder
1 tbsp Brahmi
1 tbsp Bhringraj
1 tbsp Slippery Elm Powder
1 tbsp Honey Powder
1 tbsp Buttermilk Powder
1 Can of Coconut Milk
2-3 tbsp Safflower Oil
Water infused with green tea and rosehip & hibiscus tea

This one is a winner. I left it in for 6-7 hours and was able to rinse it out without using conditioner. I didn't feel the need to DC afterwards and I think the oil is part of the reason why. I was able to LCO right after rinsing and so far my hair is drying soft.

I'm going to play with adding different herb powders but I finally have a mix that doesn't require a DC. I have leftovers in the freezer so next week I'm going to add more water to whats left and possibly add some fenugreek to it.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
BranwenRosewood

Have you considered using Nupur? It comes with 9 herbs & spices, including three that you listed above. You would only have to add the slippery elm, honey and your liquids.

ETA:please report back on the efficacy of using henna and not following up with a moisturizing DC.

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
It's fenugreek Sunday for me:yep: I like having portioned out frozen servings:yep: I added some slippery elm powder to my mix. Now I'm good to go for a few hours.

Last edited:

veesweets

Slathered HV cocasta shikakai oil on and let it sit all day, then rinsed. I went straight into styling because my hair feels really good. First impression is a great one

juliehp

Hello, everyone from America's Paradise, the US Virgin Islands!! I'd like to join this challenge (my first)! I will be using henna, fenugreek, ACV, Aloe, and other herbs/teas as time goes on.
I used Godrej Nupur Henna with 9 Herbs in November & December last year. I am going to try Jamila Henna this month, waiting on my package from eBay. Looking forward to learning and growing with all of you. :)