Co-washing 4a/z hair: yay or nay?

Co-washing 4a/z hair: yay or nay?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NYAmicas

Seeker
I love it and would recommend it to more folks but they act like Im talking a foreign language outside this board when I mention co-washing.

alopeciagrl

I love co washing my hair. I use a rosemary rinse then follow up with intense conditioner. My hair is so healthy now and more managable...I love all the compliments! LOL!

discobiscuits

I began co-washing in November. To me the thought of co-washing was gross. Now I don't even use shampoo and I only air dry. I love the way my hair feels. I make sure to leave some conditioner in which helps.

Nonie

I don't use leave-ins so CWs are a must for me. Love them. Always do them with hair in twists or braids. Takes me a very short time. I do them at least once a week coz the other wash that week is a full poo then condish wash, but if I plan on wearing my twists down, I'll throw in a CW in the middle of nowhere so my twists can drip dry and therefore hang straight. My moisture comes from CWs. I'm 4b, BTW.

Forgot to mention, my CW do not involve condish getting on my scalp. I make every effort to skip the bottom inch or so of my hair to avoid getting it on my scalp. Doesn't mean I always succeed, but ACV rinses help with cleaning off any "accidents". Conditioner on my scalp is not something I aim for. I leave the scalp cleaning for shampoo only.

Last edited:

thaidreams

I love co-washing my hair! Since starting it has become so much softer and more manageable. Presently I'm washing around 5 times a week. My hair seems to be really thriving from all the moisture!!!

andreab

I don't co wash or air dry. I don't know if it was one or the other but I am not going to do either to my hair I lose too much hair and one or the other cause sever matting. But if you want to try co washing go for it. The knowledge that you gain from it is invaluable. Good Luck with that!!!

Ditto for me. I lose to much hair. Washing once a week works just fine for me.

CokoQt

I co-wash once per week with VO5 or Suave Conditioners. If I have buildup, I add shampoo to my weekly process, but otherwise I wash with conditioners only. As a result, my hair is always soft and moisturized.

I've starting doing this as well. It really makes a difference.

tinkat

I love to co-wash my hair. Since it is cold I do it once a week and during the summer twice a week. I normally put conditoner on, detangle and deep condition. I also do not rinse the condtioner out.

TrustMeLove

I don't use Shampoo unless I have just put a ton of cones in my hair as heat protectants. And that is rare. I've used shampoo maybe 4 times this year.

So I always co-wash and that is usually once a week. And usually once a week I deep condition on those same wash days.

First I put my deep conditioner on dry hair. Usually AO Conditioner (Island Naturals, Honeysuckle Rose) or DPR 11...I keep that on for about an hour+ and than I get in the shower. Rinse out and put in my regular conditioner. Usually Trader Joes Nourish Spa to detangle or now Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner. I detangle my hair with the conditioner in and rinse out with cold water.

If I am leaving my hair in its nappy state. I put in my leave in conditioner (Giovanni Direct Leave In, Kids Organic Shea Butter Detangler, or some Elasta QP or Motions spray in Leave in..some combination of these). And as of the past two weeks I've been using oil on top of it all and it dries NOT greasy. I than proceed to style. That could be big twist for stretching purposes or any other style.

That is what I do on wash day. This is ually done once a week. I'm a low manipulation type person on wash days. But, I want to bump it up to twice a week because I want to DC twice a week.

I remember the days when I never washed my hair. My mom use to get on me something tough too. I think I washed maybe once a month. LOL! What was I thinking in HS? I just didn't get it...what a shame.

oooop2

I co-wash at least 4x/week sometimes more. My hair thrives from being co-washed, so I can't imagine not doing it. I tend to co-wash at night.

naturalgurl

I don't "co-wash" per se. I wet my hair every day and seal with coconut oil and shea butter. I guess since shea is a natural conditioner....dunno. But I don't add anything in my hair, only warm water and DRENCH it.