Clarify before using reconstructor

Honi

There is no board.
Has anyone ever used a clarifying shampoo then used a protein reconstructor afterwards? I remember doing this one time and my hair felt stiffer than usual and it took a few conditioning washes to get it back to it's normal smooth like texture. I'm due to clarify but I'm confused if I should just do the reconstructor this weekend and then clarify the following weekend.

What should i do?
drowning.gif

Hmm...
scratchchin.gif

Methinks that if you clarify before using the reconstructor, your hair is well prepped for a good conditioning treatment. But as you point out, that means the full effect of the protein treatment together with the hardness that comes along with protein is generously given to your hair. Did you follow that treatment with a deep moisturizing treatment? If not, that may have been the missing step. If you did, then it's one of those six-of-one/half-a-dozen-of-the-other situations. Where you've got to choose whether you want your hair to get the full effect of a reconstructor (ie clarify first) and then suffer the headache of having to get it moisturized back to normal; or whether to do the reconstructor when your hair has some build-up on it and thus get less of the reconstructing effect but still have your hair nice and soft. And it may just be that reconstructor before clarifying isn't exactly getting less of the strengthening effect. It may just be that when you do it that way, it works better because your hair has received enough moisture treatments to handle the protein treatment better, ie overcome the hardening effect. And so perhaps you're better off not doing a reconstructor treatment right after clarifying, but instead wait until after a few sessions of deep moisturizing treatments.

OK, there ends my brainstorming...which probably did more to confuse than help.
dork.gif

I always clarify before doing a protein treatment. I use alot of shea butter on my hair strands and after a while it starts to build up. If I were to put protein over that, it would just keep building up and make my hair break. I usually clarify the 1st weekend of the month
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I always clarify before doing a protein treatment. I use alot of shea butter on my hair strands and after a while it starts to build up. If I were to put protein over that, it would just keep building up and make my hair break. I usually clarify the 1st weekend of the month
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same. I always clarify my hair before I use a reconstuctor. I then follow up with a good moisturizing conditioner.

Thanks for the responses. I remember what I did now. The first time I used the ORS Hair Mayo it made my hair noticeably stronger but soft and not tangly like. I clarified a few weeks later and then used the hair mayo afterwards got lazy that night and slept in it. What the hell did I do that for. My hair was really stiff and it took me awhile to correct it. I hate when I do something and I have to work to correct it don't you?

So what i'll do is clarify then moisturize and then reconstruct.

Back