Christians How Do You Celebrate Christmas?

StrawberryQueen

Or do you even celebrate? :ohwell:

How do you celebrate Christmas? Do you decorate the house, put up a tree, make cookies, buy presents etc? Do you believe these things are out of commericality and not out of Christ?

Is there anything (besides the innundation of BUY BUY BUY) that you feel is in appropriate?

Do you tell you children Santa exists? Why or why not? Is it contrary to the "glorification" of Jesus?

Do you feel that Jesus should be reinserted into Christmas and Santa taken out? Do you feel that Christ is being pushed out of the holiday?

How do you feel when non-Christian celebrate Christmas but yet are angry that Jesus is being mentioned?

What do you say to others who constantly counter you with the fact that many elements of Christmas are of pagan origins?

Who doesn't celebrate? Can you say why?

I'm doing a lot of thinking now. :look: Answers greatly appreciated!

star

How do you celebrate Christmas? Yes
Do you decorate the house, put up a tree, make cookies, buy presents etc? Yes
Do you believe these things are out of commericality and not out of Christ?
No, all the decorations lights, trees etc. have a bible purpose and history. Having family together to celebrate the life of Jesus is essential. I cannot see celebrating my own birthday and not Jesus. If you know the history and true meaning of Christmas which has the word Christ in there we will look different from the world. Teaching our children and all those around us the real meaning and about the gift giving is key. Spending money to spending is never God's will like any other time of the year we should be seeking God on wisdom on what to buy and how much.

Is there anything (besides the innundation of BUY BUY BUY) that you feel is in appropriate?
Going to Church is Christmas is very important.

Do you tell you children Santa exists? Yes, Santa really did exist but died. So we keep his spirit alive by carrying on the great tradition he left behind. When children are old enough you educate them on the whole story but while they are young let them experience the joy and purpose of Santa. Why or why not?

Is it contrary to the "glorification" of Jesus? Santa was consider and angel on earth God's helper to give to those who did not have and for children all over the world to be good and listen to their parents.

Do you feel that Jesus should be reinserted into Christmas and Santa taken out? Jesus in our household was never left out of Christmas and Santa was man so he came from God. Santa is helper here on earth and he does not have to have a red suit on and there is nothing wrong with his red suit. Anyone who gives and loves like that is qualified.

Do you feel that Christ is being pushed out of the holiday? For some it is but each time I get a chance I tell the story and always say Merry Christ-mas. The world will do what the Christians let them get away with. I think some of this happens as test from God to see what we will do for the kingdom. Will we stand up and speak up for Christ.

How do you feel when non-Christian celebrate Christmas but yet are angry that Jesus is being mentioned? I tell them the word Christ is right in Christimas and the word holy is in Holiday. You cannot get around it. They know that imitation is form of flattery. But most of them know they believe but the hearts are just harden from the truth. We have to pray for those hearts of stone.

What do you say to others who constantly counter you with the fact that many elements of Christmas are of pagan origins? There is nothing pagan about bring gifts to a baby or people you love. Jesus, love, Family and fellowship is a wonderful combination.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
My answers are after your questions in red.

StrawberryQueen said:
Or do you even celebrate? :ohwell:

Yes, my family and friends celebrate. I have a very close set of friends and we start early (Thanksgiving weekend) we visit each others homes for fellowship, prayer, dinner and just having fun. This way, we can share time with each other and save the actual day of Christmas and Christmas Eve with our families. We exchange gifts; most of which I make.

How do you celebrate Christmas? Do you decorate the house, put up a tree, make cookies, buy presents etc? Do you believe these things are out of commericality and not out of Christ

Yes indeed I decorate. ;) Big time. I even design and share decorations with family and friends. I love making the large and small Christmas bows. They look beautiful on the top of Christmas trees and wreaths. And these are the full, fluffy ones with quality ribbon. No cheapies... :nono: Only the best.

This is not about faith, for Jesus doesn't need decorations to be celebrated. I am one who loves the beautiful decorations and it never hinders my faith or the real meaning of what Christmas is to me or my family. The lights and decor are just for festivities and the children.

We don't believe in the buy, buy, buy frenzy. I refuse to go 'broke' for one day...it's not worth it. This is why I make most of my gifts and they are even more beautiful. Christmas is about 'giving' of ourselves, not going broke or being commercial minded.

Do you tell you children Santa exists? Why or why not? Is it contrary to the "glorification" of Jesus?

Jesus is the focus for Christmas and our children are very aware that Santa it not Jesus...it's not about Mr. Claus... "Jesus is the Reason for the Season.." We still watch and enjoy the Christmas shows, "Rudolf", The Grinch, etc. But we have it in perspective. It's just a show and it doesn't trump Jesus Christ.

Do you feel that Jesus should be reinserted into Christmas and Santa taken out? Do you feel that Christ is being pushed out of the holiday?

Jesus should never be excluded from Christmas. It is Christ Mas the Mass of Christ. In the same manner I do not eliminate Christ by using the Xmas abbreviation. What X Jesus out of His honor. That's absurd and disrespectful.

How do you feel when non-Christian celebrate Christmas but yet are angry that Jesus is being mentioned?

It's their lost...

What do you say to others who constantly counter you with the fact that many elements of Christmas are of pagan origins?

Jesus is the Reason I celebrate Christmas. Excuse me while I turn on my Christmas tree lights and bake cookies and fudge for my family and friends..

I'm doing a lot of thinking now. :look: Answers greatly appreciated!
I love this time of year and we give to all we can...especially those who have special need to know that they are not forgotten. The homeless, our soldiers, and children whose families are having a struggle.

It's all about giving...love. The love of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

StrawberryQueen

Shimmie, the X in X-mas is the Greek word for Christ. :)
This article is about the spelling "Xmas", used as an abbreviation for "Christmas". For the holiday itself, see Christmas. For the Italian frogman unit abbreviated "Xª MAS", see Decima Flottiglia MAS.
"Xmas" and "X-mas" are common abbreviations of the word "Christmas". They are sometimes pronounced "eksmas", but they, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the pronunciation "Christmas". The "-mas" part came from the Anglo-Saxon for "festival", "religious event": Crīstesmæsse or Crīstemæsse. This abbreviation is widely but not universally accepted; some view it as demeaning to Christ, whilst others find it a helpful abbreviation.

This 1922 Ladies' Home Journal advertisement uses "Xmas".The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021 AD. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ), used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ") (see Labarum), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ.

Some people believe that the term is part of an effort to "take Christ out of Christmas" or to literally "cross out Christ";[citation needed] it is also seen as evidence of the secularization of Christmas or a vehicle for pushing political correctness, or as a symptom of the commercialization of the holiday (as the abbreviation has long been used by retailers).

The occasionally felt belief that the "X" represents the cross Christ was crucified on has no basis in fact; regardless, St Andrew's Cross is X-shaped, but Christ's cross was probably shaped like a T or a â€*. Indeed, X-as-chi was associated with Christ long before X-as-cross could be, since the cross as a Christian symbol developed later. (The Greek letter Chi Χ stood for "Christ" in the ancient Greek acrostic ΙΧΘΥΣ ichthys.) While some see the spelling of Christmas as Xmas a threat, others see it as a way to honor the martyrs. The use of X as an abbreviation for "cross" in modern abbreviated writing (e.g. "Kings X" for "Kings Cross") may have reinforced this assumption.

In ancient Christian art χ and χρ are abbreviations for Christ's name.[citation needed] In many manuscripts of the New Testament and icons, X is an abbreviation for Christos, as is XC (the first and last letters in Greek, using the lunate sigma); compare IC for Jesus in Greek. The Oxford English Dictionary documents the use of this abbreviation back to 1551, 50 years before the first English colonists came to North America and 60 years before the King James Version of the Bible was completed. At the same time, Xian and Xianity were in frequent use as abbreviations of "Christian" and "Christianity"; and nowadays still are sometimes so used, but much less than "Xmas". The proper names containing the name "Christ" other than aforementioned are rarely abbreviated in this way (e.g. Hayden Xensen for the actor name "Hayden Christensen"). Pop artist Christina Aguilera is known to spell her first name as 'Xtina'.

This apparent usage of "X" to spell the syllable "kris" (rather than the sounds "ks") has extended to "xtal" for "crystal", and on florists' signs "xant" for "chrysanthemum"[citation needed] (though these words are not etymologically related to "Christ"; "crystal" comes from a Greek word meaning "ice", and "chrysanthemum" from Greek words meaning "golden flower", while "Christ" comes from a Greek word meaning "anointed").

In the animated television show Futurama, which is set in the 31st century, Xmas is the official name for the day formerly known as Christmas (which has become an "archaic pronunciation").

They try to rid Jesus of Christmas, but they just can't do it.

Last edited:

star

The X can also mean the unknown thats why Malcom X put as his last name because he said he really does not know who his father is. This type of X is also use in math formulas. It depends on who you are talking to in regard to culture etc. on how it is being used. I will never use it why not just say the name like it was intended CHRIST-MAS.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thanks for sharing this Strawberry. ;) It's excellent information and it's thorough.

Star, thank you too. ;)

We had this same information explained to us in Bible Study when we were learning a lesson on Greek and Hebrew text. However, retailers and politicians, and commercializers, aren't speaking 'Greek." They use the X to make it universal for sales, votes and profits as they don't want to appear biased with Christmas or Jesus alone.

I understand their strategy; the 'world's' system is what it is.

However, both you and Star have spoken the truth about the X; its real purpose and it's origin and I am in total agreement with you.

With Christmas, I'm just one who chooses to write it out for the world to see what it means to me. For in truth, the current world's purpose is to X Christ out of Christmas. They are not speaking 'plurabus unum' (Latin) -- nor in Greek terms. Their language is 'compromise'.

Thanks ladies... ((((hugs)))) ;)

Last edited:

StrawberryQueen

Shimmie said:
Thanks for sharing this Strawberry. ;) It's excellent information and it's thorough.

Star, thank you too. ;)

We had this same information explained to us in Bible Study when we were learning a lesson on Greek and Hebrew text. However, retailers and politicians, and commercializers, aren't speaking 'Greek." They use the X to make it universal for sales, votes and profits as they don't want to appear biased with Christmas or Jesus alone.

I understand their strategy; the 'world's' system is what it is.

However, both you and Star have spoken the truth about the X; its real purpose and it's origin and I am in total agreement with you.

With Christmas, I'm just one who chooses to write it out for the world to see what it means to me. For in truth, the current world's purpose is to X Christ out of Christmas. They are not speaking 'plurabus unum' -- in Greek terms. Their language is 'compromise'.

Thanks ladies... ((((hugs)))) ;)

This is very true as well.