CDN Travelling to the US for Products.. Where to go?

keykee

Hi,

Soo.. I am just about on the home stretch of my transition and I am looking to BC around my birthday in April.
Before that, I would like to make sure that I am stocked up on some products.

Here, the products like Kinky Curly, Oyin, Afroveda are twice the price as they are in the US. That's annoying considering the Canadian and US dollar are so close in value. Yeah i know shipping costs are high but I don't care. The markup is insane.
The other thing is that you just can't find a lot of products. I know of one store in Toronto that sells brands like the ones mentioned above.

For example... Pantene relaxed and natural.. Here they don't sell that line in regular stores like Wal Mart or the drug mart. You can find it in beauty supply stores and they treat it like its a specialty item and it costs $8.99+ :wallbash: in the past when I've been to Target the relaxed and natural line is on the shelves as a regular item and the price is like 3.99$ like the rest of the pantene products.
From this site, and looking online and products that I have tried or want to try are:

The Kinky Curly Line
Miss Jessie's Line
Cantu (is this sold at Wal Mart or Target?)
Oyin Handmade
Afroveda

Of course now I can't remember the rest.. If you can suggest anything that would be great.

I am hoping to save up about 300USD, go across the border to stock up.
I am in Southern Ontario and it would probably be me travelling alone.

I could travel by car to: Buffalo, other parts of northern NY, Michigan, Pennsylvania
Take a train or a cheap flight to NYC, .. or Chicago?

Which state would you recommend and what areas in that state have stores that sell the brands mentioned above or just a wide selection of hair products.

Your help is appreciated.

TdotGirl

Hey!!!

I usually get my stuff in Brooklyn because i'm there a couple times during the year. In 2 weeks i'll be in atl and i'm hoping to stock up on some qhemet products after seeing the raves about the products.

If you do go to Buffalo let me know because i've been wanting to go with someone to pick up some stuff. Maybe we can get more Toronto ladies out for a day trip or something like that. Just a thought.

Btw, I usually get my products from Brooklyn, Buffalo, in Maryland, Orlando, Miami and Detroit because those are the areas I visit frequently.

Eritreladiee

Hey, I'm in Toronto too and I'm wondering what store are you talking about that sells those products? I know curl ambassadors @ bathurst/bloor has the miss jessie's, kinky curly, carols daughter... is there another store out here????

keykee

yup I was talking about HoneyFig @ Yonge/Sheppard.
Never heard of curl ambassadors though.. going to check it out.

keykee

Hey!!!

I usually get my stuff in Brooklyn because i'm there a couple times during the year. In 2 weeks i'll be in atl and i'm hoping to stock up on some qhemet products after seeing the raves about the products.

If you do go to Buffalo let me know because i've been wanting to go with someone to pick up some stuff. Maybe we can get more Toronto ladies out for a day trip or something like that. Just a thought.

Btw, I usually get my products from Brooklyn, Buffalo, in Maryland, Orlando, Miami and Detroit because those are the areas I visit frequently.

Where abouts in BUF do you go?

keykee

Also.. Can anyone recommend a great salon/stylist that specializes in natural hair in Toronto?
I don't know where to go to do the BC.

Nice to see some Toronto ladies!!

ctosha

I would like to know as well I was thinking of going to the states and stocking up on the "good stuff"

Eritreladiee

Also.. Can anyone recommend a great salon/stylist that specializes in natural hair in Toronto?
I don't know where to go to do the BC.

Nice to see some Toronto ladies!!

The place I go doesn't specialize in natural hair, but there's 2 Italian guys (Ross and Concezio, both master stylists) who do black women's hair there. I have extremely curly hair and they're the only people I trust to cut my hair.

It's Jason Michael's @ Square One (in sauga)

How many months in are you from your last relaxer? I'm just wondering how much new growth because the less you have I think the more options you would have.

Eritreladiee

Also, there's Curl Ambassador's @ Bathurst north of Bloor. They're a curly hair salon-- but i've never gotten my hair cut there, so i couldn't tell you first hand if they'd be able to manage black women's hair. I was thinking to give them a try when my hair gets longer.

Eritreladiee

OMG! last thing... i checked the Honey Fig website and they have sooooo much stuff! thx so much guys!

eta: and i see what you mean about the ridiculous price difference between CAD and USD...do you think if i walked in there with USD, they'd accept it? lol...

Last edited:

keykee

The place I go doesn't specialize in natural hair, but there's 2 Italian guys (Ross and Concezio, both master stylists) who do black women's hair there. I have extremely curly hair and they're the only people I trust to cut my hair.

It's Jason Michael's @ Square One (in sauga)

How many months in are you from your last relaxer? I'm just wondering how much new growth because the less you have I think the more options you would have.

funny because my regular stylist is at Donato @ square one. Wouldn't want her to catch me there but prob check them out in the future.

Hmmm... I can't remember when I relaxed last. It must be 8-9 months now. I think I have just about 2 inches of growth (unstretched) hopefully by April I'll be around 3.5.
I'm not good with the styling during this transition. Twists come out fuzzy.... the only thing I can do well is flat iron the hell out of it. I definitely can't go longer than April.
It's also hard to tell because some parts of the new growth are longer.

southerncitygirl

girl come on to nyc, kbb, hair rules, devachan and carols daughter are here and the beauty supply chain ricky's has a little of everything.

Eritreladiee

funny because my regular stylist is at Donato @ square one. Wouldn't want her to catch me there but prob check them out in the future.

Hmmm... I can't remember when I relaxed last. It must be 8-9 months now. I think I have just about 2 inches of growth (unstretched) hopefully by April I'll be around 3.5.
I'm not good with the styling during this transition. Twists come out fuzzy.... the only thing I can do well is flat iron the hell out of it. I definitely can't go longer than April.
It's also hard to tell because some parts of the new growth are longer.

LOL! Donato's @ Square One refused me with my 3c natural hair. In fact, they directed me to Jason Michael's hahaha. I think after your BC, you'll probably have to find a new stylist :yep:

Congrats on your transition- you've lasted a really long time. Hell, I know I wouldn't be able to do it.. just be careful with heat damage though.

keykee

LOL! Donato's @ Square One refused me with my 3c natural hair. In fact, they directed me to Jason Michael's hahaha. I think after your BC, you'll probably have to find a new stylist :yep:

Congrats on your transition- you've lasted a really long time. Hell, I know I wouldn't be able to do it.. just be careful with heat damage though.

Are you kidding me? I can't believe that!!! when I first went to Donato they made me rebook because my hair was too thick for a half hour appointment for a wash, blow out and flat iron. So now I have to book and tell them to book me for an hour.

So have you tried Jason Michael's?.. I can't believe a company would turn business away like that. I hope i don't have to stop seeing my stylist @ Donato.

and I know what you mean about the heat damage.. in the first part of my transition I did the no heat thing.. then i started flat ironing once a week now there's lots a breakage.. so next 2 weeks.. no heat.

Evo-ny

OMG, I wish I were in Toronto, I'd totally be up for a hair care road trip!

Imagine us ladies in the car trying to get back over the border? :auto:

Border Guard: "What have you got in there?"
LHCF Ladies: "Conditioners, shampoos, oils, butters, vitamins, creamy crack..."
Border Guard: "Creamy what now?!" :badcop:

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!

Border Guard: "Creamy what now?!"
:badcop:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Eritreladiee

Are you kidding me? I can't believe that!!! when I first went to Donato they made me rebook because my hair was too thick for a half hour appointment for a wash, blow out and flat iron. So now I have to book and tell them to book me for an hour.

So have you tried Jason Michael's?.. I can't believe a company would turn business away like that. I hope i don't have to stop seeing my stylist @ Donato.

and I know what you mean about the heat damage.. in the first part of my transition I did the no heat thing.. then i started flat ironing once a week now there's lots a breakage.. so next 2 weeks.. no heat.

:yep: they turned me away, said they didn't wanna risk it because of my hair texture :ohwell:. At least they were honest (but mind you i had a picked out fro that probably looked intimidating). A friend of mine with a similar texture goes to Donato, but I believe she has a good stylist @ the Yorkdale location. Yep, I go to Jason Michael's for whatever I want done. I trust the 2 Italian guys there.

Well perhaps your current stylist should be ok since she's familiar with you already. It'd probably be different than taking someone new with natural hair (like me) ya know?

freshlikemoi

I know it's too late for the challenge. But I'm about to purchase my castor oil today too. I've slacked on my hair care. Straightening my edges every chance I had. Now, it's thinning like crazy.

keykee

:yep: they turned me away, said they didn't wanna risk it because of my hair texture :ohwell:. At least they were honest (but mind you i had a picked out fro that probably looked intimidating). A friend of mine with a similar texture goes to Donato, but I believe she has a good stylist @ the Yorkdale location. Yep, I go to Jason Michael's for whatever I want done. I trust the 2 Italian guys there.

Well perhaps your current stylist should be ok since she's familiar with you already. It'd probably be different than taking someone new with natural hair (like me) ya know?

I wonder which stylist

keykee

Oh yes I'd be in for a road trip. I'm so itchin for a BC. But need to be armed with products first.

Bnster

Hi fellow Cdns. I recently got back from Mechanicsburg, PA and while there I searched on the internet for hair stores and products interested. I saw on the board a lot of ladies talking about ULTA so I found one on Carlisle Pike. I didn't find any good deals; I also wanted to check Sally's US prices versus Canadian and products available. With the conversion factor I could buy the things in Canada.

What I did buy of hair products was at the Giant Store they had the NTM which was $6USD+ and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask $5.95 USD I grab several. These were sale prices though. I was trying to find Nexxus Therapy. No luck.

What I got though that really excited me was the vitamins. Ladies go to RITE AID. I think it up to this month, for Nature and Bounty (NB) products buy 1 and get 1 free equal or lesser value.

In USA you can get Biotin 5000mcg, while in Canada you can't, even online restrictions. I grab a few and since I brought my Biotin bottle I poured over the contents of 5000mcg into my 500mcg bottle. One Rite Aid even carried GNC brand, but that deal was buy 1 and get the other 1/2 price. The biotin 5000mcg was $29USD. I hope NB Biotin is good.

Also go by car, plane only allows you 50 lbs and 1 luggage. I was over my pounds, I think it was those hair supplies and the clothes shopping did me in. For 7 days you are allowed $750 Cdn.

I have the urge to go back to the states and shop!

Good luck in finding your stores and products!

Last edited:

TdotGirl

Where abouts in BUF do you go?

I totally forgot! My sis and I did some google searches to find some stores. I remember the stores were by University of Buffalo. There's also one beside Rainbow on Walden Ave. Less than 2 minutes away from Walden Galleria mall.

:lachen:That would be tragic! You know those guards do not play!!!

keykee

I totally forgot! My sis and I did some google searches to find some stores. I remember the stores were by University of Buffalo. There's also one beside Rainbow on Walden Ave. Less than 2 minutes away from Walden Galleria mall.

Thanks I'm going to try to search Waldon area.

I don't usually have a problem with border patrol. Though one time I got pulled aside and they searched my car. I was upset. But it was Boxing day and we didn't get much. I guess they didn't believe us.

:lachen:That would be tragic! You know those guards do not play!!!

Thank you. I know where walden galleria is I'm gonna search.

I usually don't have a problem coming back to Canada. Though one time my car got searched. I was pissed but It was boxing day and we didn't buy much. I guess they didn't believe us.

Last edited:

Chromia

If you come to Buffalo you can go to Ulta - there's one up the street from the Boulevard Mall, in a plaza with Sally's and Target.

Cantu is at Wal-Mart, Kmart, Rite Aid, and Target.

I don't recall seeing Kinky Curly, Afroveda, Miss Jessie's, or Oyin Handmade in Buffalo. I think you'd have to go to Ricky's in NYC for those.

The Walden Galleria is the best mall for hair products. If you go there check out:
Beauty Eternity - they have Chi, Keracare, Joico, Redken, etc.
Trade Secret - some of the same products as Beauty Eternity, but higher prices
Sephora - Fekkai, Ojon, etc.
Glamour Secrets
Aveda/Euphoria
DeBerardinis Salon
Regis Salon
MasterCuts

keykee

^^great post. Thank you soooooo much!!
I think BUF and NYC would be the closest for me.
Going to google Ricky's.

Chromia

I was just on the Kinky Curly web site and I saw this under their locations:

SAVAGE MERMAIDS
67 Park St #4
Buffalo, NY 14201
(716)560-5749

That wasn't on the Kinky Curly site last time I checked. Or maybe I just didn't notice.

Then I did a google search for Savage Mermaids since I haven't heard of the place and I saw a different address:
Savage Mermaids
750 Elmwood Avenue 1
Buffalo New York 14222

Hmmm, I'll check this out because I want 1 or 2 KC products. It seems like the Elmwood address would be the correct address but I'll find out.