Can we have some Do's and Don't for Braids? Specifically Tree Braids w/synthetic hair

naturalmanenyc

I love the idea of the sew in weave care thread. Can we get a tree braid care thread?

I have had braids once, over 20 years ago for all of one day. They itched something awful (synthetic hair then too) and they were heavy. I had my sister cut them out the next day.

I am planning to get tree braids (cornrow base) with synthetic hair and I want to know how to care for them.

Ladies at work with synthetic braids say that I cannot wash them?!?! Is that right? The tree braid style allegedly will last 6 - 8 weeks and I cannot go that long without washing my hair.

If I find a good braider, I may switch to human hair but for now I don't want to waste more hair. My last "tree braider" was awful and I ended up throwing out the hair the same day since I had her verision of "tree braids" removed that same night.

Last edited:

LadyPaniolo

Re: Can we have some Do's and Don't for Braids? Specifically Tree Braids w/synthetic

Girl, don't listen to that insanity! :spinning: Of COURSE you can wash your hair! If you want to be 100% certain that the cornrow base gets all the way dry, you can sit under the dryer (if you have one) on a low temp for a while.

naturalmanenyc

Re: Can we have some Do's and Don't for Braids? Specifically Tree Braids w/synthetic

Any other tree braid care advice?

naturalmanenyc

I have a Pibbs which I use on low/medium. Will synthetic hair melt under a hood dryer?

Girl, don't listen to that insanity! :spinning: Of COURSE you can wash your hair! If you want to be 100% certain that the cornrow base gets all the way dry, you can sit under the dryer (if you have one) on a low temp for a while.

LadyPaniolo

:bump:

Bumping for more tips on caring for tree braids!

happycakes

I have tree braids in right now and I just washed my last night and used a blow dryer which took about 30 minutes or so. I wouldn't suggest sitting under a dryer though.

Just use a blow dryer w/o comb attachment until your synthetic hair is all dry. Be sure to blow dry your hair from root to tip and you may also want to tip your hair over to ensure that you get the hair underneath dried.

I hope this helps :)

Diamond75

I have treebraids. I wash my hair every week or 2 weeks with a silicon type poo and con. I let my braids air dry and usually curl with hot rollers the next day. I usually get my treebraids kind of long, so as I go, I trim the ends. Synthetic hair frizzes so a trim helps.

Something I do that a braider told me a few years ago is cover your hair when you cook, especially if standing over something frying. I guess it has something to do with the heat or smell or something.

lildhe

I've been wearing treebraids for a while now and I wash and deep condish all the time. Just be sure and dont waste your good condish on the synthetic hair. I use a spout bottle from sally's to put the condish to the base of my cornrows and some cheapy condish that smells good to comb through the synthetic hair. Your braids will be fine.

LadyPaniolo

I have a Pibbs which I use on low/medium. Will synthetic hair melt under a hood dryer?

Nope, it won't melt unless you put a curling iron on a high setting to it.

The blowfryer is another option, if that suits you better.

naturalmanenyc

Thanks.

How long have you been able to keep them in?

I've been wearing treebraids for a while now and I wash and deep condish all the time. Just be sure and dont waste your good condish on the synthetic hair. I use a spout bottle from sally's to put the condish to the base of my cornrows and some cheapy condish that smells good to comb through the synthetic hair. Your braids will be fine.