Votes: 8 2.4%
  • I've never tried it, but would like to

Votes: 182 54.8%
  • I've never tried it, but it would not be for me

Votes: 72 21.7%

• Total voters

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I don't think the BKT treatment is for me surprisingly not because of the formaldehyde, but the amount of heat involved in getting the hair straight!! :shock: I mean, 450 degrees?? I'm just starting to achieve healthy, longer hair and I'm not about to jeopardize it now. It looks great on those who haved used the treatment and I wish them continued success, but this is one bandwagon I will not be jumping on :yup:.

sheba1

Nope, I won't use BKT because I like my natural hair. I'm sure I won't be able to do my twist-outs after putting it in. If I can wash it out after a week, it would be no problem but if I have to wait months before I could wear my hair curl again, then...... :nono:

I have still have lots of curlies and my twist outs are smoother after my bkt. I also have not found a single single strand knot since my bkt. Thank goodness!

hothair

Just did my 2nd treatment last week, did my first wash today, my naps are still the same, really can't see a difference in curl definition detangling is still a breeze, so a definite keeper and no tangles will update fotki later this week...

sheba1

I don't think the BKT treatment is for me surprisingly not because of the formaldehyde, but the amount of heat involved in getting the hair straight!! :shock: I mean, 450 degrees?? I'm just starting to achieve healthy, longer hair and I'm not about to jeopardize it now. It looks great on those who haved used the treatment and I wish them continued success, but this is one bandwagon I will not be jumping on :yup:.

Nothing wrong with that, Lovenharmony! :yep: Of course there are many that don't use the full 450 degrees or the 10 passes. I used my normal flat iron temp (430) and 5 passes, or so. So far no regrets!

All the heads I've seen that used it consistently for a year or more have had nothing but improvements in length and manageability. I love it! Can hardly wait to see my hair in a year. :)

Just did my 2nd treatment last week, did my first wash today, my naps are still the same, really can't see a difference in curl definition detangling is still a breeze, so a definite keeper and no tangles will update fotki later this week...

Boooooo next week! Today! Today!! :D

laurend

I have still have lots of curlies and my twist outs are smoother after my bkt. I also have not found a single single strand knot since my bkt. Thank goodness!

Sheba thanks for the information but I henna my hair and my hair doesn't hold the twist-outs like they use to, so I can only imagine putting bkt on my hair and what it would do. I use to wear twist-outs for a week without wearing a scarf or re-twisting at night. Now, I have to re-twist every three days and I hate doing it. My hair never has curlies, the front is practically too straight. I'm not willing to take that chance of too straight hair.

Chameleonchick

Nothing wrong with that, Lovenharmony! :yep: Of course there are many that don't use the full 450 degrees or the 10 passes. I used my normal flat iron temp (430) and 5 passes, or so. So far no regrets!

All the heads I've seen that used it consistently for a year or more have had nothing but improvements in length and manageability. I love it! Can hardly wait to see my hair in a year. :)

Boooooo next week! Today! Today!! :D

:lachen:I used the full heat and 10 passes, I wanted to make sure this will last for a while! :lachen:

sheba1

403 - Complete Starter's Kit 2% Straightening Formula

$389.00

Anybody know of a cost-effective 1-time only kit?

Maybe Softliss? It's actually a kit that's enough for the year for about $100. Designed for home use and formaldehyde free, I've seen that many are interested in it.

I used Global but I wanted to buy enough for a while. Others are purchasing single use kits on ebay for $35 to $65. Oh, and I think Dontspeakdefeat was selling a single use application of Marcia Teixeira in the Hair Product Exchange Forum. It's a good one to grab as it is the only keratin product you can not get your hands on unless you are a licensed stylist and have taken Marcia's course. It's also the product that is featured in the thread that jumpstarted BKT interest recently: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=350699

AtlantaJJ

I haven't worked out yet. But I've been in the humidity, and I have had my normal sweaty head and my hair looks like the first day. No POOF ... Oh my, that's amazing in and of itself because I'm the queen of poof. I have only had 5 hairs shed from the root (yes I am counting them) and when I pull that hair it sounds like a guitar string. That thing is strong.

The one thing this treatment will not do is fix split ends. I'll do seek an destroys for them.

Titansgirl

I haven't worked out yet. But I've been in the humidity, and I have had my normal sweaty head and my hair looks like the first day. No POOF ... Oh my, that's amazing in and of itself because I'm the queen of poof. I have only had 5 hairs shed from the root (yes I am counting them) and when I pull that hair it sounds like a guitar string. That thing is strong.

The one thing this treatment will not do is fix split ends. I'll do seek an destroys for them.

AtlantaJJ, the treatment is awesome for a person who works out. I have been working out about 3 times a week since I had the treatment. i am surprise everytime my sweated hair dries straight. Right now I have in a weave, but my front, top and back of my hair is out... It straighten by just putting a scarf on it.

I'm so happy w/ the treatment.... It's excellent for working out in the morning and still looking good before going to work without having to use heat.

taz007

AtlantaJJ,

I thought I read it here but I can not seem to find it. Would you post a copy or link of the steps that you took in the application of the BKT?

Thanks!

sunshinne368

I love BKT! Today I worked out and I am pleased! The crown of my head was a little wavy at the roots, but all other areas remained straight! :grin: I am going to rinse today with TJ Nourish Spa, and tomorrow I will wash after my long run. Now ladies I sweat a lot! So this is great!

AtlantaJJ

I love BKT! Today I worked out and I am pleased! The crown of my head was a little wavy at the roots, but all other areas remained straight! :grin: I am going to rinse today with TJ Nourish Spa, and tomorrow I will wash after my long run. Now ladies I sweat a lot! So this is great!
Hello Fellow sweater here! I am trying to figure out my new reggie because I've been running every morning.

I'll come back and post about it when I get home. My hair does not revert, that is amazing. But I feel like I should at least rinse after my workout because guess what, sweat has more sodium chloride in it than any shampoo or conditioner product out there which is going to make our BKTs wear off quicker.

ETA: I didn't realize I was rinsing every day while natural and my scalp does not like to feel icky going all day after a morning run without at least a rinse...:nono:

Last edited:

sheba1

Hello Fellow sweater here! I am trying to figure out my new reggie because I've been running every morning.

I'll come back and post about it when I get home. My hair does not revert, that is amazing. But I feel like I should at least rinse after my workout because guess what, sweat has more sodium chloride in it than any shampoo or conditioner product out there which is going to make our BKTs wear off quicker.

I've been working out a lot more, lately and I usually either rinse my hair or cowash. I then seal with vatika oil and either wash n go or wet bun. I hope my hair likes this throughout this summer because I sure love it! It's easy, quick and I love being able to massage my scalp at night, if I feel like it.

AtlantaJJ

AtlantaJJ,

I thought I read it here but I can not seem to find it. Would you post a copy or link of the steps that you took in the application of the BKT?

Thanks!
Hi, sorry took so long to post. I think the steps are in my blog, but I basically textlaxed to stretch my hair 3 days before I did the BKT. I did this because I plan to workout 6 days per week and I prefer straight styles for my profession.

I followed the steps for the OK Original Keratin to the letter, except for the 10 passes of the flat iron. I found I didn't have to do more than 5 passes.
1) clarify
2) dry to 80/90%
3) apply bkt carefully not to put too much but to cover every strand
4) blowdry
5) flat iron
6) wait 4 days before first wash

HTH

AtlantaJJ

Let me know how your reggie is working out. I have TJ NS, that seems to be safe. Used the Organix Shea Poo and Condish yesterday and I shed some hairs for the first time. I guess was about 20 or so , which may not seem like much but I usually only loose about 5 max... I might be using too much protein?

I have been using MillCreek Biotin, my hair seems to agree with that but perhaps I should use that once per week, and something mild through the week.

sheba1

Let me know how your reggie is working out. I have TJ NS, that seems to be safe. Used the Organix Shea Poo and Condish yesterday and I shed some hairs for the first time. I guess was about 20 or so , which may not seem like much but I usually only loose about 5 max... I might be using too much protein?

I have been using MillCreek Biotin, my hair seems to agree with that but perhaps I should use that once per week, and something mild through the week.

That's what I do, pretty much, AJJ. I cowash most of the time and only shampoo when I feel the need. When I shampoo I use the Mill Creek Biotin. I shake about a tablespoon up in a applicator bottle with water and amla oil and squirt it down into my scalp and massage from there. But mostly, I co wash with either Vo5 clarifying conditioner (on the back it says it's safe for color treated hair and has no sodium chloride) or any other conditioner I have. I reconstruct a couple days a week with Aphogee 2 minute. So far this has been working a dream.

gymfreak336

I'm curious,

What is the ingredient in the formaldehyde free version that straightens hair? As far as I know formaldehyde is the active straightening ingredient.

What's the advantage of this treatment over a standard relaxer? I assume that new growth comes in at the same rate and has to be treated.

It does sound interesting, though. Good luck!

All of the straightening agents when heated give off some form of formaldehyde and related aldehydes. There is no such thing has one being chemical free.

lwilliams1922

I did my 2nd bkt last week. I'm still struggling to find products to use for aftercare. I looked at serveral local stores and could not find mill creek.

Is there a poo and condish that have no sodium but does contain keratin? Talk about finding a needle in hay stack!

At first I tried AO poo and I felt stripped. I'm going to cowash for a while and see how it works out. Today I used silicone mix (because I had a jar in the back of the cabinet). It does have mineral oil in it so I still want to find something else.

AtlantaJJ

I did my 2nd bkt last week. I'm still struggling to find products to use for aftercare. I looked at serveral local stores and could not find mill creek.

Is there a poo and condish that have no sodium but does contain keratin? Talk about finding a needle in hay stack!

At first I tried AO poo and I felt stripped. I'm going to cowash for a while and see how it works out. Today I used silicone mix (because I had a jar in the back of the cabinet). It does have mineral oil in it so I still want to find something else.
You can purchase the MillCreek Biotin shampoo and conditioner from www.Vitacost.com They have very reasonable prices.

Sally's beauty supply sells a keratin protein filler that I think I'm going to add to one of my natural conditioners. I found I had quite a few that didn't have SC in them but they didn't have Keratin. I can make my own keratin condish using this. I really like the MillCreek Biotin too.

Can be used to make an "excellent protein hair reconstructing conditioner" by diluting it with 1/3 water.

Ingredients
Ingredients:Aqua, Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Wheat Oligosaccharides, Keratin Amino Acids, Aloe Barbadensis, Humullus Lupulus, Urfica Dioica, 1, 3, Bix(Hydroxymethyl)5, 5 Dimethylimidazolidine-2, 4Dione, Methyl ester 4 Hydrozxybenzoic Acid, Tetrasodium Edta, Polysorbate-20, Parfum.,

A thread that talks about the protein filler

You have to figure out the right amount to use. I plan to dilute it and work my way up based on my results.

Last edited:

AtlantaJJ

I was perusing tightlycurly.com and the Curly Primer method has several recommended shampoos and conditioners that are perfect for BKT! They're not harsh, and she is anti sodium chloride. :yep:

Shampoos: http://www.tightlycurly.com/Shampoos.aspx
Conditioners: http://www.tightlycurly.com/CombingConditioners.aspx
You curls look like hers :grin:!

I am finding out that sweating in the hair while working out will cause the BKT to wear off faster.I didn't rinse after every workout last week and today when I washed I could see a little bit of my frizz coming back. Nothing major but I could tell the difference.

Just something for you ladies to note.

sheba1

You curls look like hers :grin:!

Awww :blush3: thanks, AtlantaJJ!

I am finding out that sweating in the hair while working out will cause the BKT to wear off faster.I didn't rinse after every workout last week and today when I washed I could see a little bit of my frizz coming back. Nothing major but I could tell the difference.

Just something for you ladies to note.

Yep, I agree. At first I worried about cowashing daily but I see that using a conditioner and water to help to remove any sweat after my workout helps more than it hurts.

Kash

good luck with trying it! and bkt is no more dangerous than many other things women slap on their hair and near their scalp...including relaxer/texturizer chemicals.

je56913

If anyone lives in the Orlando area, I bought QOD keratin off of craigslist. If you go to the orlando craigslist and search for brazilian keratin, you can find it easily. She sells it 3oz for $45 and 4oz for $55. Which I thought was reasonable because I don't have to pay for shipping or wait for it to come in the mail (I'm so impatient). I actually had her apply the product for my and I paid 75 for my shoulder-length hair. I am in love with the results!!!!

Hopefully, I'll have pics of my hair soon...I'm a nursing student so my time is soooo limited lately :(