• I did not like the treatment

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • I've never tried it, but would like to

Votes: 182 54.8%
  • I've never tried it, but it would not be for me

Votes: 72 21.7%

• Total voters

Liege4421

For the UK ladies, I found a salon in Leeds that does this for 180 GBP...but your hair has to be in super good condition...the lady was totally inspecting every strand of hair! My hubby is from Leeds, so we were visiting family over the weekend. The salon is in the Victoria Quarter of the Leeds shopping area (near Harvey Nichols)...they don't flat iron the hair, though...they only blow dry. They say you don't need to flat iron it...it's called BKT, though, so I don't know. Anyways, the salon name is West Row Hairdressing...the lady named Zoe helped me, and she was really nice. You have to get a consult first, so that's what I did (it's free) and then you can book.

hothair

I did the Global Keratin 4% treatment last week at home, I'm about 70% natural, :heart: the results, my hair didn't dry straight after first wash (4ab) but it was smooth and silky my curls are looser now seem a 3c/4a (wet), I flat ironed on very low heat and it came out silky, sticking with this details in my LHCF blog. Looking forward to retouching in a few weeks.

PS: I would recommend this to anyone! Especially those transitioning, I think if you're relaxed your hair would come out quite straight airdried.

Thann

I have an appointment for a consult Wed. Their prices start $60 and the consult is free so this might might just end up trying it out.

belletresse

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but ... It's my understanding that this stuff contains 10 times the amount of formaldehyde ( a carcinogen) deemed to be safe. The fumes are released when the stylist flatirons your hair. Some stylists wear protective breathing apparatus when applying it. I was all excited about it until I read this.:nono:

Dove56

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but ... It's my understanding that this stuff contains 10 times the amount of formaldehyde ( a carcinogen) deemed to be safe. The fumes are released when the stylist flatirons your hair. Some stylists wear protective breathing apparatus when applying it. I was all excited about it until I read this.:nono:

The formaldehyde free formula only has trace amounts and it isn't harmful. I don't think it's any more dangerous than being in a nail salon.

sheba1

Thanks Belletresse, it seems that some are very concerned with the amount of formaldehyde in some of the formulas. There are formaldehyde free ones for them (these formulas have the amount deemed safe for cosmetic use 0.2%) There have been medical students that responded in some threads, though, that said they are shut in a room with the stuff for years while getting their MD and say that they have not been adversely affected. I read on another site where a lady asked her doctor about it and he said that every doctor would be in danger from their years in med school if the concentrations she spoke of were that much of a concern.

But, as always, we all have to make the best choice for ourselves. I, personally, am going to do it. Ever since I saw how many things formaldehyde is in and a study that LuckiestDestiny looked up where people who worked in funeral homes (surrounded by formaldehyde daily) did not have any recognizable pattern of illness/death in relation to formaldehyde use, I've decided it's not much of concern for me. Again, for me.

I will follow instructions and use protective measures, and feel safe with my decision.

Keen

Thanks Belletresse, it seems that some are very concerned with the amount of formaldehyde in some of the formulas. There are formaldehyde free ones for them (these formulas have the amount deemed safe for cosmetic use 0.2%) There have been medical students that responded in some threads, though, that said they are shut in a room with the stuff for years while getting their MD and say that they have not been adversely affected. I read on another site where a lady asked her doctor about it and he said that every doctor would be in danger from their years in med school if the concentrations she spoke of were that much of a concern.

But, as always, we all have to make the best choice for ourselves. I, personally, am going to do it. Ever since I saw how many things formaldehyde is in and a study that LuckiestDestiny looked up where people who worked in funeral homes (surrounded by formaldehyde daily) did not have any recognizable pattern of illness/death in relation to formaldehyde use, I've decided it's not much of concern for me. Again, for me.

I will follow instructions and use protective measures, and feel safe with my decision.

Some are more concerned with the heat than formaldehyde. We all have our comfort levels

naturalmanenyc

$60 is great! A salon in Brooklyn, NY - Fryzura, charges $75 for medium length and $85 for long hair. They use the Lasio Studios brand keratin treatment, including the One Day formula.

I have an appointment for a consult Wed. Their prices start $60 and the consult is free so this might might just end up trying it out.

belletresse

I'm curious,

What is the ingredient in the formaldehyde free version that straightens hair? As far as I know formaldehyde is the active straightening ingredient.

What's the advantage of this treatment over a standard relaxer? I assume that new growth comes in at the same rate and has to be treated.

It does sound interesting, though. Good luck!

Last edited:

Thann

$60 is great! A salon in Brooklyn, NY - Fryzura, charges $75 for medium length and $85 for long hair. They use the Lasio Studios brand keratin treatment, including the One Day formula.

Im glad to know that the price isnt too good to be true! I was a little iffy seeing that its drastically lower the the $200-300 average.

sheba1

I'm curious,

What is the ingredient in the formaldehyde free version that straightens hair? As far as I know formaldehyde is the active straightening ingredient.

I think I read it's ether.

What's the advantage of this treatment over a standard relaxer? I assume that new growth comes in at the same rate and has to be treated.

the sulfur bonds in the hair are not broken down and the curls gradually return when use is ceased. Of course, the change with a perm is permanent.

It does sound interesting, though. Good luck!

I was considering relaxing this time next year. But I hope this will be my alternative as I want my hair to be stronger instead of more fragile. I hope to have strong, long hair that I can wear straight with ease. Can't wait to see whether the treatment works for me, as I am not really used to my straight hair. I've been natural with no heat for years. And now, I've pressed once.

Last edited:

belletresse

Thanks, Sheba1. You clearly know your stuff! I'm in Detroit, and the BKT is still a little underground here. There are a handful of salons in southwest Detroit that offer it, but I hadn't been able to get much information other than online. Language barriers can make it tricky getting information by phone in some of the Hispanic salons here. Your post was very helpful. I'll certainly keep an open mind about it in the future.

naturalmanenyc

I have found $75, $99, $150 all the way up to $375.....all licensed stylists with a few "home stylists" that have no salon. I preferred a salon.

Im glad to know that the price isnt too good to be true! I was a little iffy seeing that its drastically lower the the $200-300 average.

ADB

I'm here in Kuwait and I found a place that does it for 300 dollars. I think it's cheaper for shorter hair.

Blessed2bless

Formaldehyde is used in shampoos, and conditioners as an inhibiting agent against carcinogenic nitrosamine production. Yet, formaldehyde is carcinogenic itself. It readily penetrates the skin and can cause serious long term health concerns, and often sensitises individuals to other chemicals. It can seriously weaken the immune system and can cause cancer. It also causes allergic reactions, headaches, and chronic fatigue.

HTH

luckiestdestiny

Formaldehyde is used in shampoos, and conditioners as an inhibiting agent against carcinogenic nitrosamine production. Yet, formaldehyde is carcinogenic itself. It readily penetrates the skin and can cause serious long term health concerns, and often sensitises individuals to other chemicals. It can seriously weaken the immune system and can cause cancer. It also causes allergic reactions, headaches, and chronic fatigue.

HTH

Also in babywipes, pressed wood, carpet cleaner, nail polish and remover (sometimes up to 5 percent), and just environmental factors for everyone. It's effects in these areas are cumulative which is why, with something like BKT it's good to have proper ventilation just like an embalmer/mortician or someone else exposed would have. However the exposure for the client is minimal because it's once every 3-5 months whereas the stylist really should be concerned as they need to have proper ventilaton that states require for embalmers.

luckiestdestiny

Thanks Belletresse, it seems that some are very concerned with the amount of formaldehyde in some of the formulas. There are formaldehyde free ones for them (these formulas have the amount deemed safe for cosmetic use 0.2%) There have been medical students that responded in some threads, though, that said they are shut in a room with the stuff for years while getting their MD and say that they have not been adversely affected. I

My boyfriend is in his third year of medical school and is the picture of health. He never gets sick. I don't understand it, I mean NEVER. And none of his classmates are dropping like flies either and yes they are around that stuff alot.

luckiestdestiny

I'm not saying that formaldehyde is perfectly safe. I'm saying with proper precautions its nothing like what everyone is exposed to on a daily basis in our environment already. Saftely is important and ventilation is too.

PinkSkates

Also in babywipes, pressed wood, carpet cleaner, nail polish and remover (sometimes up to 5 percent), and just environmental factors for everyone. It's effects in these areas are cumulative which is why, with something like BKT it's good to have proper ventilation just like an embalmer/mortician or someone else exposed would have. However the exposure for the client is minimal because it's once every 3-5 months whereas the stylist really should be concerned as they need to have proper ventilaton that states require for embalmers.

Thank you LD for putting it into perspective. The amount of formaldehyde in most of the BKT brands is negligible. I worked as an embalmer for 5 years and never had a problem. As long as the room is properly ventilated you'll be just fine.

lipyt

Thank you LD for putting it into perspective. The amount of formaldehyde in most of the BKT brands is negligible. I worked as an embalmer for 5 years and never had a problem. As long as the room is properly ventilated you'll be just fine.
Whoa! That's a whole other thread of it's own! You did?? What's that like? When did you do that?

Dove56

How many ounces of BKT does it take to treat BSL hair? Please respond asap!

I used 3 oz and my hair is very thick per square inch. I ran out the last 1/4 of my head..lol.. because I slapped too much treatment on the first side I did.

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

WHA????????????????????????????

Dang. :thud:

SJ rendered speechless.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

The problems with formaldehyde aren't usually with the client, it's usually with the stylist who has much more exposure to it on a daily basis. There are BK's out there with no formaldehyde in them (maybe aldehydes and it's said these form formaldehyde with heat but negligible amounts...I dunno, not a chemist) that are solely for conditioning the hair. They leave the hair easier to flatiron.

cutenss

Hey LD, no problem. I am planning on doing this next week. I have being reading everything I can get my hands on. I am a research/google NUT :spinning: I think it will be perfect for summer weather. :yep:

laurend

Nope, I won't use BKT because I like my natural hair. I'm sure I won't be able to do my twist-outs after putting it in. If I can wash it out after a week, it would be no problem but if I have to wait months before I could wear my hair curl again, then...... :nono: