BKT for children

CurleeDST

Yeah I think that can work. Issue is she doesn't really know how to plait hair. I think they wear little pony puffs all over the head.

could she just put in plaits at night without the barretts and just add them in the morning? Like 1 on each side and 1 in the back?

lusciousladie07

Yeah I think that can work. Issue is she doesn't really know how to plait hair. I think they wear little pony puffs all over the head.

If you two live close together and you know how, maybe you can show her.. or send her some yt vids. Its not really hard. My mom couldnt braid to save her life. I actually taught myself to do it when i got sick and tired of the puffs:lachen:.

She may want to try a bonnet with strong elastic instead of a scarf. That way she can keep the the braids looking frizz free in the morn. Add some conditioner and water in a spritz bottle, spray them in the morn to liven them up. oil and barrett the baby up and send her on her way..

CurleeDST

I can't worry about the problems other people have with their daughter's head of hair. Them having problems doesn't validate some AA mothers struggling with grooming their daughter's head of hair.

Not everyone is equipped with the same access to resources, skill set or knowledge about this. When I had my daughter I know I didn't take a class on braiding hair for little girls.

I figured I would wing it especially since I figured she would have a thick head of hair b/c I have a lot of hair.

But either way - for those who were able to provide suggestions for why not to BKT THANK YOU! It confirmed what I already knew about it. Again I state it is just unfortunate the stylist is trying to steer her that way when she knows she could recommend other, natural chemical free methods. But again, for a mother who is short on time - she needs a way to be efficient in the morning and not hurt her little girl while doing her hair.

Not everyone is skilled in doing hair or know what they are doing.

All the extra stuff is just commentary and speculation.

The funny thing is...it isn't even unique to other types either. I was watching an infomercial where Jennie Garth (Kelly, 90210) was saying how her daughters used to cry and carry on when it was time for her to wash and condition their heads. And these are blond haired type 1's...

It's all a part of parenting. When did the act of simple parenting become an excuse to cut corners?

CurleeDST

Nope she is in SC and I am in MD about 9 hours driving distance away.

She will figure it out and I am confident she will not go the route of BKT after what her cousin and I told her about it.

If you two live close together and you know how, maybe you can show her.. or send her some yt vids. Its not really hard. My mom couldnt braid to save her life. I actually taught myself to do it when i got sick and tired of the puffs:lachen:.

She may want to try a bonnet with strong elastic instead of a scarf. That way she can keep the the braids looking frizz free in the morn. Add some conditioner and water in a spritz bottle, spray them in the morn to liven them up. oil and barrett the baby up and send her on her way..

CurleeDST

Great suggestions. I told her about this hair detangler I really like!! It detangles like no other. I think it works to a point for her. Her daughter hair "drinks" product.

We shall see. I'm at the point of recommending locs. LOL

l

texasqt

I hear you. But to say someone is trying to take "the easy way out" b/c they do not want to tussle, yank, and pull on their daughter's head that hurts her is...well being judgemental. If she doesn't know what to do then she doesn't. Many people do not have the time, money or patience to spend on hair boards posting and reading comments. She did what she knew - ask her hairstylist. Ask family members. Ask friends.

Does anyone know the full process?

Eta: I'm a 4b with c-naps (slinky curls about the size of a pinhead) & have been able to stretch 13 months because of bkt. Had to put edit here because my phone won't let me scroll to bottom.

It's great that you are helping your friend research BKT so she can make an informed decision for herself & child. The process I follow entails washing with a clarifying shampoo, I airdry to damp hair, apply bkt (softliss) to small sections root to tip, leave alone for 15-20 minutes, blowdry with denmon brush (where the fumes are an issue if I forget to blowdry away from my face, flat iron at 400 degrees & 3 slow passes. After this I wait anywhere between 1 & 24 hours before rinsing out and applying hair mask/conditioner that comes with the bkt. After that it's drying and styling again. Even if BKT was favored, I don't think a 4 year old would be willing to sit through all of that. It takes me several hours to do and softliss only lasts about 6-8 weeks.

Last edited:

belldandy

I agree the mom should explore other resources to learn how to do her daughter's hair. Anything, but the BKT. First, she should not be trying to comb that baby's hair every morning. Pick a style that will last. Second, split up the hair time. I think Blessed Angel does it this way. I wash and condition on Fri night. Moisturize and put in big plaits. Style on Sat morning. Third, try to distract the child. We watch a movie or cartoons. My dd cries and carries on about how she gets her hair combed because she hates sitting still! If she is distracted it cuts out on the drama. Last resort, how long is the child's hair? Maybe mom can cut it to SL until they get a routine going.

Yall, I think CurleeDST is a great and helpful member. No need to come at her like she is BKTing the child's head. Even if she gave the best advice, the mom still gonna do what she wanna do. Some of yall need to simma down.

I wasn't coming @ the op, just responding to a thread that was started.
a lot of the points I made were also for anyone else that might come across this thread and for some reason be considering a salon process for their toddler. If my words can spare one toddler I will be happy!:look:

JerriBlank

That stylist is dead arse wrong for pushing that BKT the way they are.

On a 4 year child though?:perplexed

That "discount" and the way him/her described the product and process,making it seem so carefree and easy sound like somebody needs to make some money,and will do and/or say whatever to get theirs.

Just wrong:nono:

Lola Laughs

OP, sounds like the mom just doesn't know about other options--you should refer her to LHCF. I have 2 DDs, both with very thick, coily, long and healthy hair. I pretty much keep their hair in cornrows, twists and puffs. I only comb their hair on wash days when it is super saturated. No tugging, pulling and crying. I just keep it that simple and everyone's a happy camper. :look:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

While that may be true, I'm not letting 'some people' loose in my kids' hair. My son is apl. My girl is waistlength. I'm not gonna experiment. I've seen too many careless people who will not take time to detangle and such.

I remember, vividly, what they used to do to MY hair. :perplexed And I had a RELAXER!!!:wallbash:

Lesson learned.

Some people can make a cornrow that is not tight

Last edited:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

All the extra stuff is just that, EXTRA. Take a chill pill people.

You getting all riled' up about the state of Black America....

I know people who can't do their OWN relaxed hair, yet alone a child's natural head of hair.

It is what it is.

There is life outside of LHCF and the Kingdom of Naturalness.

And the speculation about CurleeDST's own experience and knowledge is just too much, going too far. That is so not necessary.

I can't worry about the problems other people have with their daughter's head of hair. Them having problems doesn't validate some AA mothers struggling with grooming their daughter's head of hair.

Not everyone is equipped with the same access to resources, skill set or knowledge about this. When I had my daughter I know I didn't take a class on braiding hair for little girls.

I figured I would wing it especially since I figured she would have a thick head of hair b/c I have a lot of hair.

But either way - for those who were able to provide suggestions for why not to BKT THANK YOU! It confirmed what I already knew about it. Again I state it is just unfortunate the stylist is trying to steer her that way when she knows she could recommend other, natural chemical free methods. But again, for a mother who is short on time - she needs a way to be efficient in the morning and not hurt her little girl while doing her hair.

Not everyone is skilled in doing hair or know what they are doing.

All the extra stuff is just commentary and speculation.

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

You guys,,, wow. Is something in the water? What the heck? Now I agree on the no verdict for obvious reasons but is the extra mayhem necessary? Seriously?

Instead of being judgmental and harsh could somebody find the youtube vids where ladies are doing their DD's hair? There are two that come to mind automatically. One was of the Caucasian lady doing her daughter's hair type 4 hair. She does some awesome styles and some mean cornrows. Another is a sister here on LCHF that shows a clear gentle regimen for her young daughter. There are plenty of resources to help her. If I can find the ones I'm wanting to share, I'll be back to post.

belldandy

While that may be true, I'm not letting 'some people' loose in my kids' hair. My son is apl. My girl is waistlength. I'm not gonna experiment. I've seen too many careless people who will not take time to detangle and such.

I remember, vividly, what they used to do to MY hair. :perplexed And I had a RELAXER!!!:wallbash:

Lesson learned.

oh boy. I will kindly say this...if you don't want them fine, I was suggesting some styles that the mother could consider before bkt. If one was considering taking their kid to a salon I had no reason to think that cornrows would be a wild suggestion. Anyhow, simple plaits would do.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

That was a good suggestion, but I've been down the road of loose cornrows, too...and most braiders have no clue what that means...you still end up as though you've gotten an eye lift, lol.

I didn't mean to be harsh. Cornrows are a reasonable suggestion for most people, you are correct.

My family and I go the route of ponytails and i'll braid my son's hair (between 2-10 braids), very loosely and it lasts for a few days. I can do this with him because his hair isn't nearly as curly as my daughters and it is not nearly as long and thick.

oh boy. I will kindly say this...if you don't want them fine, I was suggesting some styles that the mother could consider before bkt. If one was considering taking their kid to a salon I had no reason to think that cornrows would be a wild suggestion. Anyhow, simple plaits would do.